PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Johnny (Depp) to play Batman villain?

Nightfyre
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Celebrities/0,,2-1225-2108_2367745,00.html

Johnny to play Batman villain?
31/07/2008 21:25 - (SA)

Los Angeles - Johnny Depp has reportedly been approached to play a villain in the next Batman movie.

The actor is wanted to portray The Riddler in the follow-up to The Dark Knight, according to studio bosses.

A source said: "Johnny would be amazing as The Riddler. The studio knew they needed someone who could match or even top the late Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker in the most recent film The Dark Knight, and think Johnny has the potential to do so."

The Riddler is a manic super-villain who baffles Batman with his cryptic criminal clues.

He first appeared in the comic book series in 1948, and was portrayed by Frank Gorshin in the 60s US television show, a role which earned him an Emmy nomination.

More recently, The Riddler was played by Jim Carrey in the 1995 movie Batman Forever.

Studio bosses are also said to be keen to sign up Philip Seymour Hoffman to play the Penguin in the new movie.

They reportedly believe the Oscar-winning star would be the right choice to play the aristocratic, intelligent and terrifying villain.

Christian Bale is currently wowing critics with his portrayal of the Caped Crusader alongside Ledger, who died of an accidental drugs overdose in January, Aaron Eckhart, Sir Michael Caine and Maggie Gyllenhaal. - Bang Showbiz.com

Didn't see this about, sorry if repost!

Guru
08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Hmm, that will be a combination of just about every role he has ever played with a heavy dose of Willie Wonka.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Damnit I wanted Bane in the next movie!! :cuss:

Demonpenz
08-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Phillip seymore hoffman if he lost a bunch of weight could have pulled off joker that cat can do anything

BigVE
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
The whole batman movie series figured out they were ON to something when they got Jack Nicholson to the play the Joker back in the day...he MADE that movie in my opinion. Depp and/or Hoffman should be great if the take the gig.

KCCHIEFS27
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah..the key isn't finding the right batman, it's finding the right villain. Christian Bale was a way better Batman during his first attempt. The Dark Knight is..ehhh. And why did he all of a sudden disguise his voice with some horrible deep/smokers lung voice?

Dicky McElephant
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
The Penguin and the Riddler huh?

I thought maybe they'd go with Catwoman. Hopefully they don't go retarded and try to cram as many villians into the movie that they can.

Jawshco
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I'd actually rather see Depp be the Joker (who in my opinion should be in every Batman movie), and cast and entirely different actor for the Riddler. I have an idea for the sequal: Make the Riddler more like a charismatic Zodiac killer that appears more in print and over the phone and does his dirty work from the shadows.

The Penguin with PSH would be great. Afterall, the storyline needs a new mob boss, and the odd aristrocratic Penguin would be a nice contrast to Marconi.

Bane would be great if they did him correctly. Not as a brute, but rather as a genuis who figures out that Bruce Wayne is Batman just by watching him walk. He would be a great villian all by himself.

Direckshun
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I've read that they don't want to include Catwoman or the Penguin into a future Nolan Batman movie, because the characters couldn't fit in that more realistic universe.

chiefs1111
08-01-2008, 05:57 PM
They should think about bringing back Arnold as Mr Freeze....... Seriously though,I think Johnny Depp playing The Riddler would be pretty cool...

CrazyPhuD
08-01-2008, 06:17 PM
While he wouldn't be bad as the riddler. I think he would be ridiculous as two face. He's one of the few actors that could really sell the split personality.

Valiant
08-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I'd actually rather see Depp be the Joker (who in my opinion should be in every Batman movie), and cast and entirely different actor for the Riddler. I have an idea for the sequal: Make the Riddler more like a charismatic Zodiac killer that appears more in print and over the phone and does his dirty work from the shadows.

The Penguin with PSH would be great. Afterall, the storyline needs a new mob boss, and the odd aristrocratic Penguin would be a nice contrast to Marconi.

Bane would be great if they did him correctly. Not as a brute, but rather as a genuis who figures out that Bruce Wayne is Batman just by watching him walk. He would be a great villian all by himself.

How in any way is that Bane??

POND_OF_RED
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Both Depp and Hoffman would be amazing in those roles. This is very good news.

Dicky McElephant
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM

I think Depp could pull that off as the Riddler. I also think that's a bad ass way to have the Riddler be in the movie.

ChiefsFanatic
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Jack Black for The Penguin!

I am telling you, he could do it.

Dicky McElephant
08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Jack Black for The Penguin!

I am telling you, he could do it.

Please tell me you're kidding.STFU

Priest31kc
08-01-2008, 06:36 PM
yeah i read they didnt want Penguin because they wanted to be realistic.

Even though 2 Face was KINDA unrealistic, but still, the last 2 have been pretty realistic.

I say no to Penguin. Nooo. Yes to Riddler though.

Making the Batman series more serious and dark is what they needed to do, Batman & Robin was terrible.

Fairplay
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Hmm, that will be a combination of just about every role he has ever played with a heavy dose of Willie Wonka.

Depp is a great actor.

But he was terrible as Willie Wonka.

But yes, he would be a great cast as the riddler.

KCChiefsMan
08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

it better not be anything like the Willie Wonka that he played. That movie sealed the deal on my hatred for Tim Burton. I loved that movie growing up and they turned it into the gheyist $hit ever. Besides that and most of the Tim Burton movies, Johnny Depp is a damn good actor and could probably pull off a good batman villian.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Bane is Batman's intellectual equal, who happens to be a steroid freak

Fairplay
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
it better not be anything like the Willie Wonka that he played. That movie sealed the deal on my hatred for Tim Burton. I loved that movie growing up and they turned it into the gheyist $hit ever. Besides that and most of the Tim Burton movies, Johnny Depp is a damn good actor and could probably pull off a good batman villian.

Agree 100 percent. Tim Burton can throw in the towel as a director as far as i'm concerned.

luv
08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
While he wouldn't be bad as the riddler. I think he would be ridiculous as two face. He's one of the few actors that could really sell the split personality.

That's what I was thinking.

Sure-Oz
08-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Interesting news...im sure they could pull of those roles..

I hope they stay dark and realistic....not cheesy bs

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I read somewhere that they're thinking about Angelina Jolie for Catwoman.

rtuimauga
08-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok here is my 2 cents:

The Joker and all the main thugs are locked up and crime in Gotham starts to slow down. By the end of DK, the people are almost turning against BM as he clearly is not a "Hero" and is looked at as almost a villain. So enter Bain. In a previous encounter with Bruce Wayne, he breaks his back and so BM is forced to go into hibernation. Bain, in the meanwhile revives the criminal org. and crime starts to rise. BM being forced to come back starts vigorous training (way more than BM Begins) and comes back meaner and badder than ever which is where they were going with in DK anyway. This is rough and I am not a Hollywood writer but I think would make an awesome sequel. Bain gets my vote!

JuicesFlowing
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
I read somewhere that they're thinking about Angelina Jolie for Catwoman.

I could see that ... she'd be fantastic in that role.

siberian khatru
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Aaaaaaaaa-men!

Jamie
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I've read that they don't want to include Catwoman or the Penguin into a future Nolan Batman movie, because the characters couldn't fit in that more realistic universe.

I keep hearing that, but it doesn't make any sense, it's a perception of the characters based in Batman Returns. In the comics Penguin isn't a sewer monster, he's a short gangster in a tuxedo. Catwoman is just a high-class burglar.

irishjayhawk
08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Man, it's lovely when news sources merely speculate. And even better when the speculation comes from fans ideas.

Thig Lyfe
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Depp and Hoffman would be great for those roles. I like that they're going after actors, not stars.

irishjayhawk
08-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Can some news site cite me:

I have reports from well placed sources that Mr. Nolan has asked Vinnie Jones to play Bane.

ROFL

greg63
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
...But who will they get to play the pinguin?

Jawshco
08-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Um... in the comics. Bane is a genius.

Deberg_1990
08-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Whos going to play Robin??

Jawshco
08-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I keep hearing that, but it doesn't make any sense, it's a perception of the characters based in Batman Returns. In the comics Penguin isn't a sewer monster, he's a short gangster in a tuxedo. Catwoman is just a high-class burglar.

Exactly! I think people see the characters as they've been protrayed on-screen and not as they actually are in the source material. Penguin is actually a very realistic villain. His gadgets and cruelty would make him a great movie bad guy in Nolan's universe. Like I said, he could be the new mob boss, and I love the Phillip Seymore Hoffmann idea!

Jolie in the latex suit...shudder...that would just be a dream come true.

Mr. Freeze, Bane, Killer Crock, Joker, Two-Face, Scarecrow, Penguin, Rah's Al Guhl, and the Riddler would all work well in the Nolan-verse.

Now, the villians I would not want to see are: Poison Ivy and the Ventriloquist...yuck!

Jawshco
08-01-2008, 11:27 PM

LOL! No one, EVER!!!

Actually, the only way I'd like to see Robin in these movies is if they introduced him the same way they did in All Star: Batman and Robin Series, where Batman basically kidnaps him and keeps him trapped in the bat cave to survive by eating rats. I love that series...he's the G**D@#* Batman!

I can't think of any good 13 year old actors who could do it though...

kcfanXIII
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Now, the villians I would not want to see are: Poison Ivy and the Ventriloquist...yuck!

i could agree with you if poison ivy hadn't been giving me hard-ons since i was a kid watching her in the animated series. she's hot.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Can some news site cite me:

I have reports from well placed sources that Mr. Nolan has asked Vinnie Jones to play Bane.

ROFL

He could work, he definitely has the demeanor

HolyHandgernade
08-02-2008, 01:11 AM

I know its not keeping with the original Batman, where Robin's parents are high wire acrobats who are killed during a performance through sabotage, but...

Did it seem like to anyone else that Gordon's son was being set up to become Robin? He sees Batman when the news that he has "died" is delivered. He's there at the end, as one of the only confidants left who understand Batman must play the role of villain (Dark Knight) for the time being. Just a thought.

-HH

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
I know its not keeping with the original Batman, where Robin's parents are high wire acrobats who are killed during a performance through sabotage, but...

Did it seem like to anyone else that Gordon's son was being set up to become Robin? He sees Batman when the news that he has "died" is delivered. He's there at the end, as one of the only confidants left who understand Batman must play the role of villain (Dark Knight) for the time being. Just a thought.

-HH

IF Robin is introduced, he should be introduced as the 20 year old Nightwing

Jamie
08-02-2008, 05:06 AM
I'd have Robin's parents die off-screen and introduce him as a homeless 14 year old orphan. He idolizes Batman until the aftermath of The Dark Knight, and in his disappointment decides to become the hero Batman (apparently) isn't. He'd wear normal clothes with a mask and a bulletproof vest painted red to attract gunfire away from his head. Anyway, hilarity ensues and in the end Batman agrees to train him on the condition that he stop fighting crime until he's 18 (at which point he'd become Nightwing I suppose).

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd have Robin's parents die off-screen and introduce him as a homeless 14 year old orphan.

nah, kids will cramp his style, and possible could them both killed in the field

listopencil
08-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Same here.

blueballs
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
will bale have to be a villian in the PotC franchise then

Midnight_Vulture
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
LMAO at the idiots actually believing this. ROFL

This is an internet rumor. Nothing more.

Carry along though.

As long as they dont recast the Joker I'll be happy.

Thig Lyfe
08-02-2008, 02:14 PM

Carry along though.

I'm pretty sure everybody knows it's a rumor. And everybody is having an engaging conversation about their opinions on those potential choices. I know "engaging conversation" is a foreign concept for you, but please don't ruin the fun for everybody else but lashing out at things you don't understand.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty sure everybody knows it's a rumor. And everybody is having an engaging conversation about their opinions on those potential choices. I know "engaging conversation" is a foreign concept for you, but please don't ruin the fun for everybody else but lashing out at things you don't understand.

Put him on ignore, and be done with it

Midnight_Vulture
08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
UMMMM Robin will never make it into the series as long as Nolan is the director. This is well known.

Also, Nolan hates the Penguin and you will never see him introduced as long as he is the director.

These rumors are sooo old by the way.

kcfanXIII
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
UMMMM Robin will never make it into the series as long as Nolan is the director. This is well known.

Also, Nolan hates the Penguin and you will never see him introduced as long as he is the director.

These rumors are sooo old by the way.

is that you in your avitar? god you are a d-bag. not only do you have a pic of yourself there, just look at yourself, you're the worlds biggest tool....

beavis
08-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Carry along though.

So you'd rather have Ledger play him again? :rolleyes:

Nightfyre
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM

I'm just trying to stimulate speculation as to what the next batman movie will be about/like. I can't WAIT.

Thig Lyfe
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Rumor has it Depp has signed on to play the Mad Hatter in Burton's Alice in Wonderland... maybe he'll crossover into being the Mad Hatter in Batman?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37702

Actor Johnny Depp was chosen to play "Mad Hatter" in Tim Burton's version of "Alice in Wonderland". Burton was hired by Disney studios to make the 3D version if Lewis Carrol's classic. Depp is the second confirmed cast member. Australian Mia Wasikowska will play Alice.

FAX
08-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I wonder if Nicolas Cage could play the Riddler. Or maybe even the Penguin if they smallified him with super technology like they did those hobbit guys in that movie where they struggled up the mountain with that ring and almost didn't make it but wound up returning triumphantly to the hobbit village and got laid.

FAX

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I wonder if Nicolas Cage could play the Riddler. Or maybe even the Penguin if they smallified him with super technology like they did those hobbit guys in that movie where they struggled up the mountain with that ring and almost didn't make it but wound up returning triumphantly to the hobbit village and got laid.

FAXPlease keep Nick Cage far, far away from my Batman movies. Please.

Thank you very much.

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Nick needs to stick to "National Jone's Indiana Treasure : The Secret of the of the Ark of Doom"

FAX
08-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah. You're right, Mr. KcMizzou. That's a terrible notion. I was just thinking that a lot of people were shocked at the selection of Ledger as the Joker. There were also tons of people who originally hated the idea of Downey as Tony Stark. Ledger has set the bar very high and whoever they select will attempt to match the quality of his performance.

How about Duchovny as the Riddler?

FAX

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah. You're right, Mr. KcMizzou. That's a terrible notion. I was just thinking that a lot of people were shocked at the selection of Ledger as the Joker. There were also tons of people who originally hated the idea of Downey as Tony Stark. Ledger has set the bar very high and whoever they select will attempt to match the quality of his performance.

How about Duchovny as the Riddler?

FAXAs Rausch would say, NEIN!

And, FWIW... I liked Ledger as the joker... back when they announced it.

All kidding aside, I think Depp could play the Riddler. He's just weird and creative enough to pull it off, in my mind. I can't really think of anyone else.

Maybe they'll come up with someone we haven't thought of... sure worked out last time.

But damn... that's a tough act to follow.

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Downey Jr. was perfectly cast as Tony Stark too. Fantastic choice.

Jon Favreau didn't hurt either.

FAX
08-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Ledger was incredible. I'm still processing that performance (if that's what it was).

My preference for the Riddler would probably be Depp. He's really the only guy who could deliver a role at the same (or near to the same level) that Ledger did. I'm just trying to think outside the box, Mr. KcMizzou. You know, break new ground. Like for example, maybe they could try an hispanic female Riddler called the Riddletto and cast Salma Hayek. If we could understand her jokes, it might work pretty well.

FAX

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Ledger was incredible. I'm still processing that performance (if that's what it was).

My preference for the Riddler would probably be Depp. He's really the only guy who could deliver a role at the same (or near to the same level) that Ledger did. I'm just trying to think outside the box, Mr. KcMizzou. You know, break new ground. Like for example, maybe they could try an hispanic female Riddler called the Riddletto and cast Salma Hayek. If we could understand her jokes, it might work pretty well.

FAXInteresting thought...

And you know... you've got the boobs to consider. Always a welcome addition to any film.

FAX
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Good point, Mr. KcMizzou. Come to think of it, given her accent, her signature line might sound a whole lot like, "Reeddle me teets."

FAX

KcMizzou
08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
We're gonna have to find a way to work Helena Bonham Carter, and her amazing cleavage into this...

Ebolapox
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
We're gonna have to find a way to work Helena Bonham Carter, and her amazing cleavage into this...

I'm still trying to get over her damned meat pies. damn that's good!

:spock:

whoman69
08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Riddle me this.

whoman69
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Perhaps they could recast scarecrow.