PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bigfoot sighting

shaneo69
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Wilson may be running out of time with Eagles
Tight end struggling to keep up with competition
By SEAN McCANN Special to The News Journal August 1, 2008

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- When the Eagles brought Kris Wilson in as a free agent, the former Kansas City Chiefs player was asked if he expected to compete with L.J. Smith for the starting job at tight end.

That day, he demurred, saying he just wanted to "get a chair in the room."

At the time, it sounded like humility from Wilson, who spent the first four years of his NFL career backing up potential Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez. Now, with training camp half over, maybe it wasn't humility at all, but realism.

A lackluster minicamp dropped him out of Smith's orbit, and he came to Lehigh University battling second-year tight end Brent Celek for the backup spot with the Eagles.

As his case of the drops has persisted, so has his slide down the depth chart.

"He and [Matt] Schobel are competing," coach Andy Reid said of Wilson. "Schobel is having a good camp, as is Kris. It's good competition at a tough position."

Schobel is entering his seventh NFL season and third with the Eagles. He was solid in 2007, even as then-rookie Celek overtook him, catching 11 balls for 108 yards and a touchdown.

Wilson's arrival seemed like a ticket out of town for Schobel, but now it seems that unwanted ride has been put on hold.

Most players trying to hang on to a place in the NFL insist that they don't worry about the other guy, but Schobel admitted "it's just human nature" to look around at what players like Celek and Wilson are up to.

"It's competition. It's there. You can't deny it, but it's not what motivates me," Schobel said. "When we broke at the end of the season last year, [tight ends coach Tom Melvin] told me they were going to bring somebody in. You can't go to camp with three guys.

"Competition makes everybody better, and nothing in this league's ever going to be given to you."

Wilson was given a chance to make the roster and possibly build himself a future, as Smith is on a one-year contract. But like so many passes over the past two weeks, it may have slipped through his fingers by now.

"Obviously, nobody wants to drop the ball, but that's part of the game," Wilson said Thursday. "That's something that you constantly work on. Every day, you come out and tell yourself to try to have a perfect day.

"You don't want to have any balls on the ground, but from time to time, it happens."

With Gonzalez entrenched as the starter in Kansas City, the Chiefs moved Wilson to fullback the past two seasons, and he made 22 starts over 2006 and 2007. In those two seasons, the 6-foot-2, 251-pound Harrisburg, Pa., native caught 39 passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

It's possible that his dual transition -- back to tight end from fullback, and from the Chiefs offense to the Eagles offense -- has been more difficult than expected.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg didn't have anything bad to say about Wilson on Wednesday, but the praise was hazy and qualified.

"I have talked to him several times throughout this camp," Mornhinweg said. "Some of it is encouraging.

"He is coming into a new offense and there is a learning curve. He's a sharp guy who is doing most things very well. The experience within our offense with the reps, I would think he'll be playing very well in a short period of time."

Time is running out.

Smith's recent, albeit mild, calf injury has underscored the Eagles' lack of depth at tight end, and Wilson will need a demonstrated mastery of the offense in order to get on the field.

The Eagles know what they have in Schobel, and though it may not set Reid's hair on fire, the trust in him could be difficult for Wilson to beat.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080801/SPORTS02/808010334/1022

CrazyPhuD
08-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Well at least we didn't waste a high draft pick on him or anything.....

blueballs
08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
this was a saunders pick
Saunders for HC

rtmike
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Philly must not throw the quick sideline out much. ;)

MTG#10
08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
This is all just a smokescreen, Kris Wilson is Philly's secret weapon.

Ari Chi3fs
08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I hated the pick when it was made, and I still hate it.

FUGG OFF KRIS WILSON!!!1

Skip Towne
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
He's a dead man.

alanm
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
He's a dead man.
Yep.

siberian khatru
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
"Please, please, PLEASE, DV, gimme one more toy!"

chiefs1111
08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Well if he gets cut, im sure the Faiders will take him

SNR
08-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I knew we had thousands of mega-reaches, but was Wilson the one that was projected as a 6th rounder and we took him in the 2nd? :cuss:

morphius
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Shame that in this amount of time he didn't learn to BLOCK! Oh well...

greg63
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
So where's the story about big foot? :p

bishop_74
08-02-2008, 07:42 AM
OK... is it me, or is EVERY ex-Chief in the last 5 years that go to another team just fade out of existence? What does that say about our team?

Chiefaholic
08-02-2008, 07:52 AM
JA will be the exception to the rule playing next to two very good DT's.

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:56 AM
JA will be the exception to the rule playing next to two very good DT's.

Well, at least we got an eve of the preseason ankle sprain out of it.

KCUnited
08-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Shows how foolish Philly is, Kris Wilson is a fullback.