PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Albert to miss all of training camp?

KevB
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I didn't see any posts with this info yet....

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/730400.html

Sprained ankle may keep rookie Albert out of camp, Chiefs say
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Rookie offensive tackle Branden Albert could miss the remainder of training camp with what the Chiefs called a sprained foot.

Albert was injured during Thursday night’s joint practice against the Minnesota Vikings. The Chiefs initially called the injury a sprained ankle.

Coach Herm Edwards called Albert day to day, but acknowledged Albert was unlikely to play in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Bears in Chicago.

"I’d say he’s more out than in," Edwards said. "He’ll have to rest it and see where he’s at right now."

Other officials indicated the Chiefs probably wouldn’t get their starting left tackle back before the Chiefs break training camp on Aug. 15. The injury is similar to the one received in training camp two years ago by guard Brian Waters.

Waters missed three weeks of practice.

An absence of a similar length for Albert would be a huge setback for the Chiefs. Albert was a first-round pick and their only major addition as the Chiefs attempt to rebuild what last season was one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Herb Taylor, a sixth-round draft pick last season who played on offense in only one game as a rookie, replaced Albert in practice Friday.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey was obviously frustrated about the lost practice time for a developing player.

"We need to have him in there because he’s a rookie," Gailey said. "As good as he is, he needs work and he needs to see a lot of different looks. It would have been great for him to have the whole night against a different person rushing. But it didn’t work out that way and we’ll have to pick it up as games go along."

To reach Adam Teicher, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call 816-234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com.

kstater
08-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Was it swole?

Bwana
08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Ouch!

Direckshun
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
<------------------------------

SithCeNtZ
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Why am I not ****ing surprised.

JuicesFlowing
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Not good.

MGRS13
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow "sprained foot" the last one turned out to be a season ender. Hope they arent lying about this one too.

kstater
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Meh, it was going to take a large part of this season for this line to gel and become even average, whats a couple more weeks?

Skip Towne
08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Was it swole?

If Herm said it's swole, it's swole.

siberian khatru
08-01-2008, 09:02 PM
BUST

shaneo69
08-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Luckily for us, Jordan Black is available.

alanm
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
New life for Will Svitek. F*CK!! :banghead::cuss::banghead:

sparkky
08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow "sprained foot" the last one turned out to be a season ender. Hope they arent lying about this one too.

my first thought too.

chiefs1111
08-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Of all the young guys,he's the one who can least afford to miss camp,hopefully it isn't that bad..

Lonewolf Ed
08-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't you just know it... :banghead:

chiefs1111
08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
It's all King Carl's fault...

DAMN IT CARL!!!!

SBK
08-01-2008, 09:15 PM

LMAO, thread over.

Ari Chi3fs
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
great news!!1

KCChiefsMan
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
ARGH!!! that sucks big time

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Just think:

If Albert hadn't been signed on time, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Dammit, Carl :cuss:

DenverDanChiefsFan
08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Just think:

ROFL

ct
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Herb Taylor, starting LT. oi ...

Shox
08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
This should guarantee a top 10 draft pick in 2009.................maybe top 5.

Thig Lyfe
08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
F*ck.

DTLB58
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Son of a .....!

DaFace
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Well now...isn't that special...

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4562/churchladyrj0.jpg

beach tribe
08-01-2008, 10:11 PM
So goes the life of a Chiefs fan.

Skip Towne
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, this is a setback but probably won't make a difference since we are going to suck no matter what. Really no big deal.

dirk digler
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Well that sucks

gblowfish
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
What Sears location is Chris Terry working at now?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
WE'RE DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Fruit Ninja
08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
This doesnt shock me in the least. This is just what the Chiefs are. They are just almost good enough. Even when they try to change something goes bad. It is what it is.

Deberg_1990
08-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Carl on the Phone to Willie Roaf again yet??

Smed1065
08-01-2008, 11:15 PM
So we go for another year for the QB, LT and coach?

Stir, stir.

Herm approves of this message.

wazu
08-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I hereby declare the 2008 season officially over.

kcfanXIII
08-01-2008, 11:19 PM
meh, we only gave up jared allen to get this guy. no biggie.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I hereby declare the 2008 season officially over.

It has been since January.

evolve27
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Tebow or Stafford won't need a LT

Mr. Flopnuts
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
For the sake of ****. When was the last time this shit didn't happen to us?

Ugly Duck
08-01-2008, 11:59 PM
This should guarantee a top 10 draft pick in 2009.................maybe top 5.

Problem with you Chiefs fans is you gotta learn to set your goals higher. Shoot for the top - shoot for the #1 Overall Pick!

Phobia
08-02-2008, 12:07 AM

That's one reason I don't follow the Chiefs as closely as I've done in the past. What's the point - they're either spinning or outright lying. Rarely do they ever give the absolute truth.

wazu
08-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Problem with you Chiefs fans is you gotta learn to set your goals higher. Shoot for the top - shoot for the #1 Overall Pick!

I hear that. It's definitely within reach. We are facing the prospect of an offensive line that might actually manage to be worse than what we saw last year. Oh yeah, and on the defensive side, we just gave up the best pass rusher in the NFL to obtain the now-injured cornerstone of said O-line.

#1 pick, here we come. Probably a QB after Croyle gets run out of KC, possibly because of the crappy o-line, but we'll never really know.

Worst. Season. Evar.

rambleonthruthefog
08-02-2008, 12:17 AM
normally i would hate on everyone who says the season is finished and bashes the team endlessly, but this is indeed bad news.

F it. your all a bunch of losers. F you and your loser children. Go root for the cardinals.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, Michael Oher seems like a good option now if Albert's foot is a chronic injury

Ugly Duck
08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I hear that. It's definitely within reach. We are facing the prospect of an offensive line that might actually manage to be worse than what we saw last year. Oh yeah, and on the defensive side, we just gave up the best pass rusher in the NFL to obtain the now-injured cornerstone of said O-line.

#1 pick, here we come. Probably a QB after Croyle gets run out of KC, possibly because of the crappy o-line, but we'll never really know.

Worst. Season. Evar.

You guyz had a killer draft this time around & the team is so young. Say you get the 2009 #1 overall.... & the 1st pick of the 2nd & the 1st pick of the 3rd & so on... could be a dang good team in a few years.

Nawww....

wazu
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
You guyz had a killer draft this time around & the team is so young. Say you get the 2009 #1 overall.... & the 1st pick of the 2nd & the 1st pick of the 3rd & so on... could be a dang good team in a few years.

That depends...who is drafting?

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 12:36 AM
That depends...who is drafting?
The name Kuharich is the only thing keeping my spirits from collapsing.

Phobia
08-02-2008, 12:40 AM
The name Kuharich is the only thing keeping my spirits from collapsing.
Oh - you mean the GM when Ditka traded all his picks for Ricky Williams?

FAX
08-02-2008, 12:49 AM
It's enough you make you want to drink 4 gin martinis.

Exactly enough.

FAX

Messier
08-02-2008, 12:51 AM
So, what do we do now that Albert's career is over?

HolyHandgernade
08-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I hope they let him heal, don't try to rush him back. I expected this year to be rough with hopefully steady improvement, but these type of things really put a damper on any kind of silver lining you were hoping to find. I was really hoping Croyle would have the time to develop his progression reads and limit his mistakes so that we felt confident enough to not have to draft a QB with our first pick. Albert, I hope you are a quick (and complete) healer.

-HH

FAX
08-02-2008, 12:59 AM
I hope they let him heal, don't try to rush him back. I expected this year to be rough with hopefully steady improvement, but these type of things really put a damper on any kind of silver lining you were hoping to find. I was really hoping Croyle would have the time to develop his progression reads and limit his mistakes so that we felt confident enough to not have to draft a QB with our first pick. Albert, I hope you are a quick (and complete) healer.

-HH

Yep. When our LT goes down, Mr. HolyHandgernade, it seems to be the first in a long string of falling dominos that go up and down ramps, release mice from cages, inflate helium balloons, and kill our quarterback.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts
08-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Have they figured out you were 14 when you had me pops? Just wait till they find out that mom was 36.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Yep. When our LT goes down, Mr. HolyHandgernade, it seems to be the first in a long string of falling dominos that go up and down ramps, release mice from cages, inflate helium balloons, and kill our quarterback.

FAX

Honestly though, if it's a Brian Waters type of injury then he'll be fine

ChiefsCountry
08-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Herb Taylor did look good at left tackle last year in the Detroit and Jets game. It sucks to lose Albert but at least another young guy is getting reps and they arent panicing and shuffling everybody around.

CupidStunt
08-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Any reason why I keep seeing fans post words such as "chronic" and "reoccuring?"

So far as I know Albert has zero injury history, and this was just a fluke injury.

milkman
08-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Any reason why I keep seeing fans post words such as "chronic" and "reoccuring?"

So far as I know Albert has zero injury history, and this was just a fluke injury.

Exactly.

And as TW said, if it's a Brian Waters type injury, then it isn't a big deal, and Albert being about 10-12 years younger should heal faster.

Where's that Chicken Little news report?

StcChief
08-02-2008, 08:00 AM
hope Albert is a fast healer. His TC is now vs Pats... he'll get schooled.

beavis
08-02-2008, 09:02 AM
If we hadn't signed him so early and he was still missing camp, this never would have happened. DAMMIT CARL! :cuss:

milkman
08-02-2008, 09:07 AM
If we hadn't signed him so early and he was still missing camp, this never would have happened. DAMMIT CARL! :cuss:

You see, this is the problem whe you don't bother to read through the thread before responding.
You a day late a dollar short.
It was funny the the first time.
The second time, not so much.

Just think:

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
You see, this is the problem whe you don't bother to read through the thread before responding.
You a day late a dollar short.
It was funny the the first time.
The second time, not so much.

I dunno, it reads funnier all on one line. ;)

Plus, there's the delicious schadenfruede of 'heh, this numbnuts didn't even read the thread.'

milkman
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
I dunno, it reads funnier all on one line. ;)

Plus, there's the delicious schadenfruede of 'heh, this numbnuts didn't even read the thread.'

Had to look that one up in the dictionary.

And yes, I agree,
I rather enjoyed it.

Short Leash Hootie
08-02-2008, 09:32 AM
worst news out of chiefs training camp in several years I'd say...

We've been fortunate in one regard...we've never really had a big time training camp/preseason injury...

No Jamal Lewis out for the season or LeCharles Bentley blown out knees kind of things...

I wish this happened to Dorsey rather than Albert if I had to choose one...Albert needed this camp to be ready to play LT...

Oh well, I hope he gets healthy for the start of the season, maybe even the final preseason game...

Short Leash Hootie
08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
So, we move McIntosh back to LT for now and hope Richardson can manage the right tackle for the time being? He can't be any worse than Turley or Terry...

If the coaches don't think Albert is LT ready for the opener I suppose he could always play RT or RG until they deem him to be ready...

Either way, this blows.

ChiliConCarnage
08-02-2008, 09:38 AM
wow - no way to spin that into a positive.. about the worst person to get hurt for the duration of training camp. I wonder how they'll deal with this? Just not play him much early in the season or move him back to guard

Messier
08-02-2008, 09:47 AM
So, we move McIntosh back to LT for now and hope Richardson can manage the right tackle for the time being? He can't be any worse than Turley or Terry...

If the coaches don't think Albert is LT ready for the opener I suppose he could always play RT or RG until they deem him to be ready...

Either way, this blows.

I don't think they do that. I would think with McIntosh also learning a new position they would want to keep him there and let Taylor play LT of some of the pre season. That, I would think be the plan if Albert is out for only a few weeks as this would seem. If it's longer, and it looks to be lingering into the season then maybe moving McIntosh back to Lt would be best.

Zouk
08-02-2008, 09:49 AM
This is not as big a deal as it seems right now. As long as it's a 2-3 week injury he misses camp, but he has a full week of practice before starting at LT in NE Week 1. The regular season is a different deal anyway and training camp and preseason are over-rated. I'd rather him miss training camp than a single real game. That's where the real learning happens.

TRR
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't see this as being as big of problem as others are making it out to be. The line was going to take a ton of time to gel anyway. Albert will still get a couple of preseason games before the season anyway...

milkman
08-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Good god people.

Teicher isn't reporting.
He's speculating.

blueballs
08-02-2008, 10:21 AM
He may not get the on the field training
he will get the training camp experience in person and film of Herb
still better than being unsigned or in anothr uniform

TEX
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Why am I not ****ing surprised.

Yep. And against the Vikings. :shake:

ChiefsFanatic
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Meh, it was going to take a large part of this season for this line to gel and become even average, whats a couple more weeks?

At least it only takes Croyle about 1.4 seconds to drop back and throw it to TG on every play, whether he is open or not.

blueballs
08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
It's hard to fathom this board
not taking to the herb

TEX
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't see this as being as big of problem as others are making it out to be. The line was going to take a ton of time to gel anyway. Albert will still get a couple of preseason games before the season anyway...

True about the line needing time, but now it will even take longer and this will effect the offense as a whole. Too many new parts to miss a big cog. This is a huge problem. Training camp can be conssiderd TIME X 2 - especially for a rookie learning a new position. This is bad in of itself and also because ankle injuries often linger. Course it could always be worse I suppose...

TEX
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
wow - no way to spin that into a positive.. about the worst person to get hurt for the duration of training camp. I wonder how they'll deal with this? Just not play him much early in the season or move him back to guard

Yep. No way to spin this one...I don't know about moving him back to guard. They'll probably not play him much while trying to make up for time lost in camp. Then, when he's ready - move him to LT. Unfortunately, from a developmental standpoint - this is huge.

FAX
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM

With all respect, Mr. TRR, this is a disaster of biblical proportion. It is an utter catastophe, a cataclysmic tragedy, a total loss of sphincter control while on a date with a working runway model from a small town in South Dakota out on her own for the first time in her life. This is a football tsunami. A brain hemoraging, life-altering tidal wave of despair erasing all hope and leaving nothing behind but the decaying, fetid corpses of fans and the pitiable, shattered remnants of once-treasured dreams. This is a bottomless sinkhole of misfortune consuming our entire season, the end of life, and an unimaginable, hellish weedeater accident that suddenly transforms a day of simple yard work into an abrupt and inadvertent sex change operation.

As for the Big Apple, I don't think it's a good idea to move him back to LT no matter what. If he's going to play RT, we ought to keep him there so he can continue to work on his technique.

FAX

Smed1065
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Just think if it would have been JA stepping on his foot?

:evil:

blueballs
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
he's not been drinking
so he no longer has a heavy foot
keep up

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Good god people.

Teicher isn't reporting.
He's speculating.

"Other officials indicated the Chiefs probably wouldn’t get their starting left tackle back before the Chiefs break training camp on Aug. 15."

It reads like reporting to me.

Chiefshrink
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Does anybody really think the Chiefs are going anywhere this year? If it is only 3wks it really doesn't matter. So what if he doesn't reach his stride until the 10th or 11th week. There not going anywhere anyway. If the front office is playing games and it is worse than they play it off to be, hell they aren't going anywhere next year either even if Albert didn't get hurt. If Albert is 'all world' it won't take him long to adjust. So relax and let's hope it is not serious. Chiefs need alot of help and wearing the "Rose Colored Glasses" only makes it worse. Playoffs in 2010.

milkman
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
"Other officials indicated the Chiefs probably wouldn’t get their starting left tackle back before the Chiefs break training camp on Aug. 15."

It reads like reporting to me.

"Other officials"?

WTF are other officials?

It's all specualtion.

And "Other officials" said Aug 15th, which is two weeks.

Chiefshrink
08-02-2008, 11:42 AM
If Carl would have been doing a good job making sure there were solid talented O-lineman waiting in the wings after Roaf and Shields exited; Albert's injury wouldn't be so sressful now would it? It's not stressful for me because I'm a realist and know they aren't going to the playoffs anytime soon. They might contend next year but 2010 is their year,barring draft busts,injuries and idiotic FA pickups. Well with that said and knowing Carl's in charge that is like winning the lottery.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 11:47 AM
"Other officials"?

WTF are other officials?

It's all specualtion.

Which is why I'm not worrying about it, just by the reaction of "Chiefs Officials" it's nothing serious at all.

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 11:51 AM
"Other officials"?

WTF are other officials?

It's all specualtion.

Just because he didn't name the officials who spoke with him (perhaps on the condition of anonymity) doesn't mean Teicher is speculating. With injuries you never know. KC has a habit of downplaying what they say to the media - Larry Johnson was week to week the last half of last year.

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Just because he didn't name the officials who spoke with him (perhaps on the condition of anonymity) doesn't mean Teicher is speculating. With injuries you never know. KC has a habit of downplaying what they say to the media - Larry Johnson was week to week the last half of last year.

LJ also had murmurs of something for more serious which was validated. Albert's injury doesn't seem to have the same feeling of concern like Trent and LJ had with their injuries amongst the organization

milkman
08-02-2008, 12:00 PM

To me, Teicher's "other officials" is much like Fred Edelstein's "credible sources".

Teicher is a lazy hack, and for all I know, his "other officials" is the Chiefs official jock strap washer.

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
LJ also had murmurs of something for more serious which was validated. Albert's injury doesn't seem to have the same feeling of concern like Trent and LJ had with their injuries amongst the organization

I agree that Albert's injury doesn't have nearly the same undercurrent that LJ had. I'm sure its just a sprain of some sort. I just don't see why people are criticizing Teicher for REPORTING that some officials said Albert wouldn't be back on the field until after they leave River Falls.

R&GHomer
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
DAMNIT! It never fails.

Ebolapox
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
OMG TEH d00M!

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
To me, Teicher's "other officials" is much like Fred Edelstein's "credible sources".

Teicher is a lazy hack, and for all I know, his "other officials" is the Chiefs official jock strap washer.

no he was in Atlanta riding a motorcycle taxing bitches

tmax63
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
If Taylor is the backup LT then this gets him some serious training time as well. Having the backup go thru TC and learn the craft won't hurt. When Albert gets back he will have had OTA's and a week of TC and won't be quite as green. This is gonna force them to teach 2 guys to be a LT instead of one and if this happened week 5 of the real season they won't be near as screwed.