PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs FormerDB Camp Report #3 08-01-08, Evening Practice + Interviews with Tank, Tamba & Do

Shaid
08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Didn't see it posted.

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/cc/Chiefs-News/181.html

INSIDE The Kansas City Chiefs 2008 Training Camp

The Kansas City Chiefs hit the one week mark in training camp. Groins are pulled, hamstrings stretched, noses busted up and stitched up. Gunther still breathing fire down the glutes of his linebackers., The Vikings are gone and now the Chicago Bears are wearing a bullseye. So the question people are asking me is, what do I think of the Chiefs? Well, today a particular player jumped out ... Rudy Niswanger. He's making my stomach feel a little better after making me puke yesterday. Also, three members of the defensive line open up. We're fresh off the field.

Evening Practice - 08-01-08

Interviews with Tank Tyler, Glenn Dorsey & Tamba Hali

FormerDB

ChiefsCoalition.com

[/size]

[size="4"]

11 ON 11

* The team practiced in shells and shorts and the offense looked particularly light, quick and strong on the first six running plays. They're actually starting to look synchronized. And the third play from scrimmage, Niswanger looked the part of a solid center, blasting a hole in the middle for Larry Johnson. He jumped out to the second level and took out Pat Thomas. More on Niswanger in my observations.

* Running off tackle on the left side, Jamaal Charles ran cleanly with nice speed as blockers sealed off Tamba Hali.

* The Chiefs are leaning on Devard Darling's speed, giving him the end-around handoffs that Eddie Kennison and Dante Hall used to have. He's very confident and possesses good size for a WR.

* The offense just looked real sharp for the first six plays before the defense started to wake up and tighten up.

RED ZONE 7 ON 7

* Brodie Croyle took the snap, looked down the middle and then to his left, where Brandon Carr had tight coverage on Dwayne Bowe. Croyle threw it anyway, but threw it behind both Carr and Bowe, while Carr's head was locked on the receiver. Bowe stopped, reached back and made the catch behind Carr, while keeping his feet in bounds. A well executed pass designed to go behind the defender when he isn't looking.

* Afterwards, Croyle hit Tony Gonzalez on a curl route right at the two. TG caught it, spun and ran into the endzone.

* Next play, Croyle hit Brad Cottam on the identical route. This time middle linebacker Pat Thomas was there, but he had to reach around Cottam's big body to swat at the ball as it arrived. Cottam held on tightly as he hit the ground at the two.

* Later, Croyle hit TG on a zig route in the end zone. TG ran a hard slant to the middle, then zigged back out towards the flats, where Croyle connected.

1 ON 1

* Turk McBride (DE) vs. Anthony Alabi (OT) ... Turk looked slow, lacking any speed coming off the edge, no power, no significant hand punch or effective counter. I think McBride might be the weakest lineman on the squad. Even hitting the dummy sled, there's not much pop.

* Tamba Hali (DE) vs. Herb Taylor (G) ... Let me put it to you this way, Hali is really nice to watch. On two consecutive snaps, this is what he did. He fires off, stutter steps to freeze the blocker, and then chooses the side where he wants to explode. The first time he went outside, slapping down Taylor's hands, getting that sharp body lean and ripping towards the quarterback. He did it again the second time, but went inside.

* Glenn Dorsey (DT) vs. Herb Taylor (G) ... Dorsey is definitely getting push, he needs to make his counter moves connected in rapid succession, which is what he is clearly working on.

I HEARD IT

"Stay low, stay low... come on, drive, explode!!! That's it, plant, drive, explode!!! Be clean." Defensive backs coach David Gibbs giving instructions to DB's as they pop the sled, back pedal and attack the sled again.

"You step inside, you block yourself. If you go inside, he goes outside and you're done." Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie telling his men why it's important to maintain their discipline when playing straight up without shooting a gap.

"If you ain't got your mind right then don't do the drill, Jackie." Running backs coach Curtis Modkins talking to RB Jackie Battle as he halfheartedly ran the rope drill. Battle was excused from practice but since he was running the ropes, Modkins expected him to be on point anyway, even though he was excused.

"We're jogging, we're jogging. Let's go!" Tamba Hali is shouting at the second team defense as the offense is having its way. Hali was extremely loud and agitated.

"Damn!!! What the hell..." Someone on the defense looking from the sidelines as the offense ran through his teammates.

MY TAKE

* It was nice to see rookie Brian Johnston in practice, finally. But he only did individual drills and not team or 11 on 11. I'm anxious to see him get busy in the scrimmage Saturday night.

* Donnie Edwards, Kolby Smith and Branden Albert were among the players healing up who didn't practice.

* Now, back to Niswanger, the center. He did a fine job sealing off the linebackers in this practice. The difference here from yesterday and the day before, is that Niswanger had a nose guard in his grill in the one-on-one drills in the previous practices. They were right on him and because of his height and long arms, he didn't explode fast enough to neutralize them in such a confined space. Now today, without a man over him, he had enough space and time to step and use his legs to create leverage to seal, once he got his hands on someone. I predict 3-4 defenses will represent the biggest challenge for him. That's not to say he can't overcome that challenge; I hope that he does.

* Croyle looks the part of a starting QB. He's very, very comfortable with this offense and he most definitely has very strong chemistry with TG and Bowe. He knows where they are and he is very, very accurate. Hopefully the preseason games will allow him to establish a degree of comfort with the other receivers.

* With the Vikings, the team threw a lot of underneath stuff and drew the ire of ESPN's John Clayton, who stayed in my ear about why it was stupid. But the Chiefs opened it up more today with 15, 20 and 25-yard strikes. Perhaps they played conservative to deceive national writers and scouts like Clayton.

* Charles will really look good as a change-of-pace back in my estimation. He will be a demon on draw plays where the coverage is spread out and he's given wide lanes to make people look silly and slow. Even in tight lanes, he seems to be able to get skinny, maintain balance and accelerate.

* I think I'm seeing the DB's pop the sled more this camp than I have in previous visits. This would play to the smash-mouth, man-up, bump coverage they're asking the players to use now.

ONE ON ONE *** GIVE IT TO ME RAW

Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler opened up about what they're trying to do on the defensive line.

Formerdb: What's the biggest adjustment you've made in your second year now?

Tyler: I feel like I'm more experienced now, I'm more focused on my job, I know how to approach practice, know how to prepare for games. I'm more focused on what my coaches are asking me to do.

Formerdb: Everyone notices how strong you are and the bull rush you have. Is that your strongest attribute?

Tyler: I'm trying to keep up my strength, keep up my bull rush, but the coaches are trying to teach me some things to play off of that.

Formerdb: Hey Glenn, I was just asking Tank about the bull rush and how strong you guys look. But I also noticed that you're trying to string together about three or four moves in about five seconds.

Dorsey: Right. Pretty much because we can't do the same moves because they watch film just like we do. If you just rush them the same way all the time down the middle, they'll hurt you so you gotta have counter moves.

Formerdb: A lot of people are expecting a lot from you because you guys were drafted high, but it will take some time for you guys to master the tackle position because of all the moves, won't it?

Tyler: We just try to come out to practice and go hard. We don't put time on it. We want to get better right now. We want to take what our coaches are giving us right now, to take that in and put it into the game.

Formerdb (to Tyler): Are you a three technique or two gap tackle?

Tyler: I'm three technique, two technique, shade; whatever the coaches or the defense requires. I'm here to play.

Formerdb (to Dorsey): Do you feel this defense is going to allow you to make the kind of penetration you want to make?

Dorsey: Without a doubt, without a doubt. If everybody is doing what they're supposed to do, everybody reading their keys, yeah, you're going to make plays.

Formerdb: Do you feel comfortable where you are?

Dorsey: Oh yeah, I feel like I'm making progress man. Everyday, you win some and lose some but you gotta make sure you don't make the same mistake twice.

Formerdb: How do you measure your progress?

Dorsey: Taking the right steps, using the right technique on certain plays, knowing what the offensive linemen are trying to do to you.

Tamba Hali

Formerdb: I noticed you are taking a leadership role with your teammates.

Hali: We all want to get it this year. Herm went out and drafted a bunch of defensive linemen to come in here and make a difference and being here, we have to take it personal. He really believes in us. You got me, you got Tank, you got Turk, Dorsey. Right now it's about winning.

Formerdb: What's the biggest adjustment switching sides:

Hali: Being able to get off that ball and seeing the quarterback. The main thing is seeing that quarterback. The guys are better on that side because they get paid a lot of money. The biggest adjustment is trying to win the one-on-one and get to the quarterback.

Formerdb: Is there a learning curve for you switching sides or is this something you can do quickly?

Hali: Oh, it's a learning curve, but I'm sure I can get it done. Everyday, take a little time, working at it everyday, trying to get it done. Eventually you start to understand the position and learn. Like with Jared, I learned a lot from Jared. He came back last year and his focus was get to the quarterback and that's what he got done.

Formerdb: So people shouldn't expect you guys to be all world the first quarter of the season?

Hali: We have our expectations. We hold ourselves really high up there. We don't really care what people think. It's what we think and what we believe really.

philfree
08-02-2008, 12:30 AM
You're doing a great job with these reports, fdb. :clap:

PhilFree:arrow:

Smed1065
08-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Sweet, been a fan since last year!

Thanks!

Take notes clayathon.

CupidStunt
08-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm concerned about McBride. I've never pictured him as an end. Just far too slow and lacks explosion.

Hope I'm wrong.

mikey23545
08-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Fantastic job once again, formerdb...We really owe you!

shaneo69
08-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Eddie Freeman, Junior Siavii, Turk McBride...

CosmicPal
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
* Charles will really look good as a change-of-pace back in my estimation. He will be a demon on draw plays where the coverage is spread out and he's given wide lanes to make people look silly and slow. Even in tight lanes, he seems to be able to get skinny, maintain balance and accelerate.

I haven't seen Charles yet, but it sounds like he's going to be the Kimble Anders of the present future- that back that comes in on third downs and takes those dump offs and runs for 15-20 yds.

Ari Chi3fs
08-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I was really pissed when we drafted Turk McBride... we should have drafted Ryan Kahlil C out of USC instead of ****ing Turk.

Great Read, tho FormerDB

Thanks

Coogs
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I was really pissed when we drafted Turk McBride... we should have drafted Ryan Kahlil C out of USC instead of ****ing Turk.

Great Read, tho FormerDB

Thanks

I would agree on the Turk pick. And if Kahlil was available at that point, I would agree with that choice as well. The thing that ticked me off obout the McBride selection was that they seemd to draft him solely for the purpose of replacing Jared Allen for the 2 week suspension. Way to high for a 2nd round pick IMO. A 2nd rounder should be a key piece of the puzzle, not a short term fix.

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I would agree on the Turk pick. And if Kahlil was available at that point, I would agree with that choice as well. The thing that ticked me off obout the McBride selection was that they seemd to draft him solely for the purpose of replacing Jared Allen for the 2 week suspension. Way to high for a 2nd round pick IMO. A 2nd rounder should be a key piece of the puzzle, not a short term fix.

I disagree--with the problems JA had had in the past we needed a backup, there was the contract thing, the suspension thing, etc. Not to mention he was drafted in April so at that point Jared hadn't done anything to refute that image

Buehler445
08-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks formerdb. Great read.

I'm really ****ing concerned about Turk. If he looks like this much ass in his SECOND YEAR, why did we take him in the SECOND ROUND?

Mecca
08-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Once again our coaching staff loves playing players out of position, it never fails we always have atleast 2 guys in the wrong spot.

TRR
08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks formerdb. Great read.

I'm really ****ing concerned about Turk. If he looks like this much ass in his SECOND YEAR, why did we take him in the SECOND ROUND?

You have to take these reports for what they are worth. I always appreciate posting reports, but I was there as well, and thought McBride looked pretty solid. He's looked a lot quicker than these reports IMO.

Even for example, the Croyle to Bowe pass that he writes about early in the report. It wasn't even a completion. Bowe stepped out before the catch even took place (which was a great catch anyway, but the Ref marked him out...)

Two people can look at one player, and have two different opinions about him.

OnTheWarpath58
08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Two people can look at one player, and have two different opinions about him.

Welcome to my world.

Signed,

B. Croyle

Ari Chi3fs
08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
<table id="sortable_table_id_1" class="wikitable sortable sortable" style="width: 100%;"><tbody><tr><td align="center">54</td> <td>Kansas City Chiefs</td> <td>McBride, TurkTurk McBride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_McBride)</td> <td>Defensive end</td> <td>Tennessee</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="sortable_table_id_1" class="wikitable sortable sortable" style="width: 100%;"><tbody><tr><td align="center">59</td> <td>Carolina Panthers<sup id="cite_ref-ny_jets_carolina_8-2" class="reference">[/URL]</sup></td> <td>Kalil, Ryan[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Kalil"]Ryan Kalil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NFL_Draft#cite_note-ny_jets_carolina-8)</td> <td>Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_%28American_football%29)</td> <td>USC</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mecca
08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
<table id="sortable_table_id_1" class="wikitable sortable sortable" style="width: 100%;"><tbody><tr><td align="center">54</td> <td>Kansas City Chiefs</td> <td>McBride, TurkTurk McBride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_McBride)</td> <td>Defensive end</td> <td>Tennessee</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="sortable_table_id_1" class="wikitable sortable sortable" style="width: 100%;"><tbody><tr><td align="center">59</td> <td>Carolina Panthers<sup id="cite_ref-ny_jets_carolina_8-2" class="reference">[/URL]</sup></td> <td>Kalil, Ryan[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Kalil"]Ryan Kalil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NFL_Draft#cite_note-ny_jets_carolina-8)</td> <td>Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_%28American_football%29)</td> <td>USC</td></tr></tbody></table>

The Chiefs don't like players from USC, that is my conclusion.

OnTheWarpath58
08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not giving McBride a pass by saying this, but there sure are a lot of guys slobbering over a guy (Kalil) who has started a whopping 3 games in the NFL - for a team that was incredibly thin at the Center position...

Mecca
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not giving McBride a pass by saying this, but there sure are a lot of guys slobbering over a guy (Kalil) who has started a whopping 3 games in the NFL - for a team that was incredibly thin at the Center position...

Question how much longer do you think some of these players will still get passes, I understand a guy like McBride hasn't played that much..

But what about say Bernard Pollard I think he's coming to the end of his free pass for screwing up.

OnTheWarpath58
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Question how much longer do you think some of these players will still get passes, I understand a guy like McBride hasn't played that much..

But what about say Bernard Pollard I think he's coming to the end of his free pass for screwing up.

IMO, it depends on the player.

Tank and Turk, for example, have barely played. They get more slack, in my eyes.

Pollard? He didn't play much, if at all his rookie year, so he basically has one full year under his belt. I give him the first half of this year to see some improvement. Or, if Morgan (more suited for FS) or someone better comes along, play the better player - but right now, it looks like he'll get this year.