PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Be prepared to be bored watching Chiefsí offense

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2008, 01:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/730669.html

Be prepared to be bored watching Chiefsí offense
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | More from the department of obvious training-camp observations: Offensively, the Chiefs are going to be boring and bad.

Whew, thatís a rough combination. Seriously, get ready for it. Kansas Cityís 2008 offense might make the KC-playoff offense that couldnít cross the Indy 50 look like the Magic Johnson-Showtime Lakers.

Hey, Iím not complaining or railing against Herm Edwards and his new offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey. Theyíre taking the necessary steps to build a playoff-caliber, ball-control offense.

Iím just trying to warn you that Arrowhead Stadium might not be a family-friendly environment for women and children. Drunk and sober men will cuss this offense repeatedly throughout the season.

The pieces just arenít in place, and Herm and Chan know it. On Friday, Gailey met with the media and said absolutely as little as possible about his offense. Mostly, he whined about needing to get all of his players on the field at the same time. When I talked with Edwards, he was concerned about the durability of right tackle Damion McIntosh, who is struggling with a knee that swells.

ďHe has to stay on the field,Ē Edwards moaned.

The Chiefs are trying to build a solid offensive line around all-pro guard Brian Waters. Itís going to take a magician. Branden Albert, the rookie left tackle from Virginia, will eventually be a good player. Gailey said Albert can be ďgreat.Ē

Thatís down the road. Depending on the seriousness of the foot injury he suffered Thursday, Albertís 2008 progress could be slowed. Everything to the right of Waters is a total mystery.

Center Rudy Niswanger is a former undrafted free agent. Right guard Adrian Jones is a former backup tackle. McIntosh is old and beat up. Itís going to take two years to build this line.

This line has an outside shot at being mediocre if Albert turns in a rookie-of-the-year-like performance. Waters is going to be a beast. Heís still steaming about last season when people whispered that his play slipped. Waters is in the best shape of his career. His grandmother got diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, and the entire Waters family changed their diet to support her.

ďNo fried foods for me,Ē Waters said. ďAnd I donít drink as much.Ē

The result is a leaner frame. Waters isnít much lighter on the scale, but heís carrying less fat.

ďHeís having his best training camp,Ē Edwards said.

So if Albert is really good as a rookie, maybe the Chiefs can run left the way they used to behind Waters and Willie Roaf.

Without a consistent running game, Gaileyís offense falls flat and Larry Johnson mopes.

Even if Brodie Croyle is the second coming of Tom Brady, he doesnít have the necessary supporting cast to power a dangerous passing game. The Chiefs donít have a No. 2 receiver. Devard Darling has the title. The problem is he has no rťsumť. He posted a career-best 18 receptions last year for the Baltimore Ravens.

KCís No. 3/slot receiver is Missouri grad William Franklin, KCís fourth-round draft pick. Franklin looks the part, has the necessary speed, but heís unproven and never demonstrated consistent toughness while at Mizzou. A rookie slot can be dangerous when heís playing opposite two high-level veterans. Franklin wonít enjoy that luxury.

Brodie is going to lock in on Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez. Dumping the ball to Johnson isnít a great option because heís not a great receiver and heís a terrible blocker. Priest Holmes was terrific with screens because you could never key in on when the Chiefs planned to throw him the football.

Again, KCís best option out of the backfield in passing situations will be an unproven rookie, Texasí Jamaal Charles. Everyone loves Charles, particularly his explosiveness and acceleration. He could be a wonderful third-down back, a big-play receiving threat.

On offense, the Chiefs are an expansion team. Really. They have three proven, big-time veterans who might be just past their prime ó Waters, Gonzalez and Johnson ó and one second-year player who has shown flashes of goodness (Bowe).

They will pray for production from every other position. You canít count on it. You canít even really expect it. Itís a recipe for three-and-outs, a formula for some frustrating Sundays.

Chiefs fans, youíre going to be tested this season. Itís the price of rebuilding. Remember, we wanted this.

Guru
08-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Status Quo

SNR
08-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I didn't view last year's offense as boring once Brodie Croyle stepped into the game. It's kinda fun watching young guys get better. If you can look past that whole miserable failure aspect, that is.

Fruit Ninja
08-02-2008, 01:57 AM
lol, Except they did NOT get better towards the end of last year on offense. IT was just different levels of horrible.

BigRock
08-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Wait a minute... we're going to be relying on lots of guys who are young and/or inexperienced?

WHEN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN

CosmicPal
08-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Damn...after reading that I feel like taking a bus ride in Canada.

Smed1065
08-02-2008, 03:01 AM
Wow 1 day and he knows it all.

chiefs1111
08-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Wait a minute... we're going to be relying on lots of guys who are young and/or inexperienced?

WHEN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN

Apparently Witlock has been sleeping for the last several months......

chiefs1111
08-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Well as long as i have a good supply of beer,it wont be all bad...

JuicesFlowing
08-02-2008, 06:32 AM
I don't think they'll be as boring as last year. They may or may not be improved, but they won't be as boring.

CupidStunt
08-02-2008, 07:03 AM
"Flashes of goodness?"

Tool.

Count Alex's Losses
08-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Funny that Whitlock wrote this considering Brodie had a good practice yesterday.

tmax63
08-02-2008, 07:53 AM
BA's injury concerns me. This could be a boring offense but with the invention of bootlegs, audibles, and possibly the occasional play-action pass I don't see this offense as bad as last years. I guess I'm just a dam homer but when you have better players at LT, 2nd & 3rd WR, C, and your best RB is healthy again I don't see them being worse. Not to mention a OC that is a major upgrade to what we had. Not saying all upgrades are HOF caliber upgrades, but upgrades nonetheless.

Count Alex's Losses
08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Seriously, we won't be top 10. But there will be big plays with LJ, Bowe, Gonzalez and Charles out there. I guarantee it!

tmax63
08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I think Will Franklin has 1 or 2 big plays in him as well.

Bwana
08-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Well duh......... This will be one of those years where everyone should not expect much in the way of excitement. We are in full rebuilding mode, which generally doesen't lend itself to a team entering the playoffs, or a winning record. This is something I can live with rather than watching our team hit the playoffs and getting abused on a regular basis. This strategy should start to pay off next year after another good draft and we should be back in contention in two years. I will enjoy watching the development of the new players and we should know what we have behind center by the end of the year. That will have to do in the excitement department for now, I'm just looking forward to the future.

Zouk
08-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Whitlock hits on some important points. As always, people are not going to understand why we can't throw 30 times every game and that we may be predictable because controlling the pace of the game will be a more important strategic objective than surprise. That we're going to play to grind out 17-10 type victories and that these are the only type of victories that are attainable for this team in virtually all weeks. But fans' minds just can't comprehend how the best strategy cannot always be ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK and they will freak out. Happens every year in 3/4 of all NFL cities (the ones without great QBs and/or great pass protecting lines).

StcChief
08-02-2008, 08:21 AM
yeah. Boring. well that's how football started. Run the ball, play defense....

cdcox
08-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Funny that Whitlock wrote this considering Brodie had a good practice yesterday.

He gave Croyle a 100% free pass in this column.

Chiefaholic
08-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Boring....possibly. But, it'll be worth the wait if it means we'll have a young playoff caliber team a couple years down the road. Nothing sucks more than to watch the Chiefs signed a handfull of washed up veterans every year just to be good enough to qualify for the first round of the playoffs. They're building this team the right way by the draft and keeping those that pan out (JA being the exception).

Ebolapox
08-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Boring....possibly. But, it'll be worth the wait if it means we'll have a young playoff caliber team a couple years down the road. Nothing sucks more than to watch the Chiefs signed a handfull of washed up veterans every year just to be good enough to qualify for the first round of the playoffs. They're building this team the right way by the draft and keeping those that don't have alcohol issues.

fyp

Deberg_1990
08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
So will more offensive 3 and outs Give Gunther another built in excuse when his defense breaks down again from too much playing time?

I cant wait...

blueballs
08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
whitlock is far to self absorbed
everything he writes is connected to past or future articles
its all about setting up the I told you so here -one fairly safe one at that

TRR
08-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I like the way the offense is ran. A lot of bootlegs and stretch runs. Followed by a power running game. I have seen a couple of very clever reverses out of Gailey already as well. In the time that I have been up here, I now know that Gailey will get the ball in the hands of the playmakers including Bowe, Gonzalez, LJ, and even Jamaal Charles. He will play to the strengths of the offense. He isn't going to keep Croyle under center, and make him take a 7 step drop. He's going to get Croyle out on the run, and get the ball out of his hands quickly.

I don't know about anyone else, but that is exciting to me.

TEX
08-02-2008, 10:48 AM
If we can just get a kicker who can consistently boot 70 yarders - we'll be fine.

Boon
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Herm Edwards?
Boring offense?

You're $hitting me.
Say it ain't so, Whitlock.

TEX
08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Herm Edwards?
Boring offense?

You're $hitting me.
Say it ain't so, Whitlock.

True. Honestly, I hope once the "rebuild" is over - Herm's gone. Actually, if we look worse than last year, or play worse as the season goes on again, I hope he's gone after the season. IMO, he's not the guy to take KC to the next level.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I like the way the offense is ran.

how do you know how it's going to be ran, they haven't even played a preseason game yet :spock:

blueballs
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
if Brodie is even average herm stays
atleast one more year
Brodie is his career

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
So will more offensive 3 and outs Give Gunther another built in excuse when his defense breaks down again from too much playing time?

I cant wait...

I'm hoping for a Buddy Ryan meltdown where Gun takes on Herm and Carl at the same time.

dj56dt58
08-02-2008, 11:19 AM
did he just say "goodness"?

Coogs
08-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I know I am in the minority here, but I really like the kind of football Herm is trying implement here. I love the smashmouth/play action game on offense. And I love the tough defense. I would love to see more of a 3-and-out type defense than we saw last season than the bend but don't break style we saw last season, but I think we are building towards that type of defense. If we get there, the two units should blend together nicely.

Now I know it is hard to watch the Colts, Patriots (last season), Cowboys (last season), Rams, and our own Chiefs of the Vermil era move the ball up and down the field with ease and not want that to be our offense all of the time. But of those teams, only two won the Super Bowl... and both were pretty lucky to do so. The Rams were very lucky to beat Tampa in the NFC Championship game, and maybe a bit lucky to beat the Titans in the Super Bowl.

And if the Colts had not had Bob Sanders come back from the injured list, they probably would not have won the title either considering Manning wasn't really firing on all cylinders during the playoffs. Their defense really bailed them out.

And the Cowboys and Patriots probably had their best offensive teams in many season last year. And both of them came up short to the type of team we are building here... Power on both sides of the ball.

So if the defense can become a 3 and out unit like the Bears were two to three seasons ago, our offense will not be relied upon to drive the ball 80 yards each time to put points on the board. Defense and ball control. I for one really like that style of football.

Boon
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
True. Honestly, I hope once the "rebuild" is over - Herm's gone. Actually, if we look worse than last year, or play worse as the season goes on again, I hope he's gone after the season. IMO, he's not the guy to take KC to the next level.

I hope the clown is gone by week eight.

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I know I am in the minority here, but I really like the kind of football Herm is trying implement here. I love the smashmouth/play action game on offense. And I love the tough defense. I would love to see more of a 3-and-out type defense than we saw last season than the bend but don't break style we saw last season, but I think we are building towards that type of defense. If we get there, the two units should blend together nicely.

Now I know it is hard to watch the Colts, Patriots (last season), Cowboys (last season), Rams, and our own Chiefs of the Vermil era move the ball up and down the field with ease and not want that to be our offense all of the time. But of those teams, only two won the Super Bowl... and both were pretty lucky to do so. The Rams were very lucky to beat Tampa in the NFC Championship game, and maybe a bit lucky to beat the Titans in the Super Bowl.

And if the Colts had not had Bob Sanders come back from the injured list, they probably would not have won the title either considering Manning wasn't really firing on all cylinders during the playoffs. Their defense really bailed them out.

And the Cowboys and Patriots probably had their best offensive teams in many season last year. And both of them came up short to the type of team we are building here... Power on both sides of the ball.

So if the defense can become a 3 and out unit like the Bears were two to three seasons ago, our offense will not be relied upon to drive the ball 80 yards each time to put points on the board. Defense and ball control. I for one really like that style of football.

You need an offense that can score quickly if need be. Even with a good defense you've got to be able to move the ball if you have to. A lot of smash mouths teams have great difficulty turning it on when they need to.

Also, this team isn't even close to having the personnel to field a smash mouth team. This OL isn't suited for 3 years and a cloud of dust.

Nzoner
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Based on the amount of tickets still available I'm surprised Jason didn't title his article Be prepared to be bored listening to Chiefs offense

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
As long as Herm is around we will have this problem.

siberian khatru
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
You need an offense that can score quickly if need be. Even with a good defense you've got to be able to move the ball if you have to. A lot of smash mouths teams have great difficulty turning it on when they need to.

I agree. We can't be the Marty Chiefs kind of smashmouth. We need to be more like the 1990s Cowboys, who pounded you with Emmitt but when needed could go to Irvin, Harper or Novacek.

Chiefshrink
08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Herm sounding and looking like Obama as time passes on, an "empty coach's workout suit". Are they related??? I never did like the hire from the get go because Herm is what I call a false "Rah Rah" guy as opposed to a real "Rah Rah" guy in Cowher. Herm always looks unsure of himself and it is clear Carl brought him in here to be a 'yes man'. This was definitely confirmed for me last year after watching "Hard Knocks". Herm suffering the "Peter Principle" and doesn't know it yet.

Chiefnj2
08-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Herm has also always been a conservative west coach type coach as opposed to a Marty smash mouth team. He plays offense like he plays defense - keep things in front and simple.

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Herm sounding and looking like Obama as time passes on, an "empty coach's workout suit". Are they related??? I never did like the hire from the get go because Herm is what I call a false "Rah Rah" guy as opposed to a real "Rah Rah" guy in Cowher. Herm always looks unsure of himself and it is clear Carl brought him in here to be a 'yes man'. This was definitely confirmed for me last year after watching "Hard Knocks". Herm suffering the "Peter Principle" and doesn't know it yet.

kind of odd that you went to the young black man is unfit to coach to the old white guy would have beeen the greatest

sensing a trend

Coogs
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM

Also, this team isn't even close to having the personnel to field a smash mouth team. This OL isn't suited for 3 years and a cloud of dust.

I would agree with a lot of this. Most of the good play-action type teams do have the ability to score quickly if need be. And we may have a ways to go to be a great smashmouth type of team. But IMO, we are headed that way. We are bringing in 2 TE formations. We are incorperating a FB at times. And we have LJ who is very good between the tackles.

But again, the key has to be the defense. Gun simply can not let the other teams drive at will between the 30's/20's like we did last season. Three and outs have to be a necessity from the defense for smashmouth to be effective week after week. You can not play from behind and be effective. Play on the lead though....

Deberg_1990
08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Based on the amount of tickets still available I'm surprised Jason didn't title his article Be prepared to be bored listening to Chiefs offense

But wait, Carl told me there was a waiting list of 15,000 for season tickets? ROFL

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think there will be a blackout

especially

Fish
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM

:rolleyes:

You still believe that Herm is just a Yes man? Even after all the un-Carl like things the team has done lately?

Carl has been here 20 years doing the same thing trying to add different veterans every offseason. He consistently ignored the importance of the draft and building the team with young draft picks. Herm is hired, and states from the start that he's going to infuse the team with youth. The Chiefs finally, reluctantly embrace the rebuilding effort that they'd been avoiding for decades. And they do this knowing full well that the team is bound to struggle while the young guys get experience.

If Herm were simply a yes man, we'd still be doing more of the same mediocre crap instead of listening to Fatlock tell us that young rebuilding teams will make mistakes.

KCTitus
08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Until this franchise gets serious and builds around a world class FB, this team will be a joke.

Seriously, tough, it's a shame about the OL...it really is. Regardless the offensive style of Herm/Gailey, it doesnt mean dick if you dont have the big boys up front.

JuicesFlowing
08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I like the way the offense is ran. A lot of bootlegs and stretch runs. Followed by a power running game. I have seen a couple of very clever reverses out of Gailey already as well. In the time that I have been up here, I now know that Gailey will get the ball in the hands of the playmakers including Bowe, Gonzalez, LJ, and even Jamaal Charles. He will play to the strengths of the offense. He isn't going to keep Croyle under center, and make him take a 7 step drop. He's going to get Croyle out on the run, and get the ball out of his hands quickly.

I don't know about anyone else, but that is exciting to me.

From everything I have read so far about Gailey's offense, I'm a lot more excited than I was last year. The O-line still concerns me, but regardless ... we're not going to be seeing the rubbish plays that Solari put out there.

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 01:26 PM
From everything I have read so far about Gailey's offense, I'm a lot more excited than I was last year. The O-line still concerns me, but regardless ... we're not going to be seeing the rubbish plays that Solari put out there.

yeah

the fact that we have a proven signal caller tells me no matter what the talent/inexperience we will be better than solaris prediictable insanity

The I think I chan offense is going to roar.

Tuckdaddy
08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Fatlock knows shit about anything but controversy issues. He does not know how to analyze a team. I would not count on anything he has to say.

Boon
08-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Fatlock knows shit about anything but controversy issues. He does not know how to analyze a team. I would not count on anything he has to say.

Unless he's writing a review of rib joints or buffet lines. Then he's probably pretty credible.

DT58HOF
08-03-2008, 02:13 AM
I didn't view last year's offense as boring once Brodie Croyle stepped into the game. It's kinda fun watching young guys get better. If you can look past that whole miserable failure aspect, that is.
HUH? Brodie getting better? Why the hell do i pay for the ticket? I must of been watching another team,damnit Carl i was on the wrong station,lol
Brodie is HORRIBLE!!!!!
He was bad at Alabama and he shouldn't of been drafted at all.
he is over rated just like many other QB's out of the SEC

Rausch
08-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Chan made a living turning chicken$#it into chicken soup in Pitt.

Makes me sick to think we could be rolling into this season with some outstanding coordinators (Gailey, Capers) had a few things went differently.

boogblaster
08-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Look at the bright side ... We used to go 8-8 with a D and a FG kicker ...