PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obama wont do the Town Halls with McCain Now

HonestChieffan
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The fear in his camp must be overpowering at this point.

Obama backs away from McCain's debate challenge
By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL, Associated Press Writer
24 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Democratic candidate Barack Obama on Saturday backed away from rival John McCain's challenge for a series of joint appearances, agreeing only to the standard three debates in the fall.

In May, when a McCain adviser proposed a series of pre-convention appearances at town hall meetings, Obama said, "I think that's a great idea." In summer stumping on the campaign trail, McCain has often noted that Obama had not followed through and joined him in any events.

On Saturday, in a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said the short period between the last political convention and the first proposed debate made it likely that the commission-sponsored debates would be the only ones.

"We've committed to the three debates on the table," campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Saturday in an interview. "It's likely they will be the three appearances by the candidates this fall."

Asked by The Associated Press if that meant Obama would not agree to any other debates, Psaki said, "We're not saying that." She said the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

The McCain campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

The first debate planned by the commission is set for Sept. 26 in Oxford, Miss., three weeks after the Republican National Convention concludes Sept. 4. The Democratic convention is scheduled for Aug. 25-28.

The other presidential debates are set for Oct. 7 and Oct. 15 and the vice presidential debate for Oct. 2.

A day after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination in early June, McCain challenged Obama to a series of 10 town hall meetings with voters in the months leading up to the conventions. The candidates' campaigns began negotiations, telling reporters that they agreed in spirit to the joint appearances.

When the idea first came up from the McCain campaign that May, Obama was still battling Hillary Rodham Clinton for the Democratic nomination. Obama said then: "Obviously, we would have to think through the logistics on that, but ... if I have the opportunity to debate substantive issues before the voters with John McCain, that's something that I am going to welcome."

In June, Plouffe had suggested Obama-McCain meetings more along the lines of the historic Lincoln-Douglas debates. In 1858, during Abraham Lincoln's Senate campaign against Stephen Douglas, the candidates met seven times across Illinois. One spoke for an hour, the other for an hour and a half, and the first was allowed a half-hour rebuttal.

Plouffe said Saturday that Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois will be Obama's representative in further discussions with the commission.

The Commission on Presidential Debates, established in 1987, sponsors and produces debates featuring the presidential and vice presidential candidates of the major parties. The nonprofit and nonpartisan organization has sponsored all the presidential debates since 1988.

___

Associated Press writer Mike Glover in Orlando, Fla., contributed to this report.

banyon
08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
The second debate by the Commission is already a town hall styled debate.

jAZ
08-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Asked by The Associated Press if that meant Obama would not agree to any other debates, Psaki said, "We're not saying that." She said the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

Are you blind?

HonestChieffan
08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
NO Im not blind thats some new counter proposal hes trying to do instead of doing what was agreed upon. Blind is a condition of the Obamaniacs.

banyon
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
NO Im not blind thats some new counter proposal hes trying to do instead of doing what was agreed upon. Blind is a condition of the Obamaniacs.

What was agreed upon?

jAZ
08-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, you are blind.
...the McCain campaign had rejected Obama's proposal for two joint town hall meetings.

... they agreed in spirit to the joint appearances.

... Obama said then: "Obviously, we would have to think through the logistics on that...

In June, Plouffe had suggested Obama-McCain meetings more along the lines of the historic Lincoln-Douglas debates.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Frontrunners and/or incumbents historically stall out of debates with challengers throughout modern American history. I'm sorry, but this dates back to Nixon. I get sick of this fake outrage that ignites every four years by whichever party has the challenger.

We'll see it again, I guarantee you, in 2012:

"[Frontrunner] dragging his feet in in debate talks with [Challenger]."

Challenger supporter: "WTF!?!? Why is he chickening out!?!?"

jAZ
08-02-2008, 04:50 PM
What was agreed upon?

They agreed to talk about the details of the idea.

memyselfI
08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
"We understand it might be beneath a worldwide celebrity of Barack Obama's magnitude to appear at town hall meetings alongside John McCain and directly answer questions from the American people, but we hope he'll reconsider," spokesman Brian Rogers said.

ROFLROFLROFL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_pr/presidential_debates

***SPRAYER
08-02-2008, 05:59 PM
B.O. is starting to show some chinks in the armour. I think he's got a glass jaw. He's really upset over these silly ad's.

ROFL

HonestChieffan
08-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Please dont say chinks.

Messier
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_pr/presidential_debates

I know, it is childish isn't it? Kind of bitter sounding right?

NoLurkerNoMore
08-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Frontrunners and/or incumbents historically stall out of debates with challengers throughout modern American history. I'm sorry, but this dates back to Nixon. I get sick of this fake outrage that ignites every four years by whichever party has the challenger.

We'll see it again, I guarantee you, in 2012:

"[Frontrunner] dragging his feet in in debate talks with [Challenger]."

Challenger supporter: "WTF!?!? Why is he chickening out!?!?"

You're soo wrong. If McCain were the frontrunner he would debate Obama up and down the country. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Obama doesn't love his country and is a patriot but just not enough. How can he? He is a democrat.

***SPRAYER
08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I cannot believe it.

McCain is actually getting some traction off of those stupid ads.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
You're soo wrong. If McCain were the frontrunner he would debate Obama up and down the country.
You have absolutely zero way of knowing that. You simply choose to believe it.

I'm sorry, but every single Presidential election that's featured a televised debate has seen the frontrunner/incumbent attempt to reduce the number or candidness of debates as much as humanly possible.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I cannot believe it.

McCain is actually getting some traction off of those stupid ads.
Rovian tactics, SHTSPRAYER. Rovian tactics.

Light on substance, but polarizing enough to coax much of the country into playground alliances. McCain will gain ground, Obama will lose ground. It's inevitable.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/images/2008/08/02/c_08012008_520.jpg

***SPRAYER
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Rovian tactics, SHTSPRAYER. Rovian tactics.

Light on substance, but polarizing enough to coax much of the country into playground alliances. McCain will gain ground, Obama will lose ground. It's inevitable.

I don't think those ad's had an impact on the voting public. I think they had an impact on their intended target-- B.O.

Any impact on the public, was probably on Hillary supporters, because Hillary effectively fired similar cannon balls across his bow.

The guy is rattled from what amounts to a jab. What is he going to do when the heat gets turned up a few more degrees?

I think it's all uphill for McCain. B.O.'s support will remain static, just as it has since the end of the primary.

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Please dont say chinks.

That Alaska show on History channel opened my eyes to the name of the first automated fish processor, the Iron Chink. Ishityounot.

Donger
08-02-2008, 08:12 PM
I believe that McCain will beat Barack Hussein in the debates.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I believe that McCain will beat Barack Hussein in the debates.
Define "beat."

Lest you're one of those that will lower expectations and say "by merely keeping up with Obama, McCain wins!"

Donger
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Define "beat."

Lest you're one of those that will lower expectations and say "by merely keeping up with Obama, McCain wins!"

Honestly, I haven't been impressed with Barack Hussein when he doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Honestly, I haven't been impressed with Barack Hussein when he doesn't have a teleprompter in front of him.
Define "beat" so I can accurately understand what you mean.

Donger
08-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Define "beat" so I can accurately understand what you mean.

Winning in a debate is a subjective thing.

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Winning in a debate is a subjective thing.
Exactly.

I just think that even if McCain debates Obama to a stalemate you'll declare it a victory "simply because McCain kept up."

penchief
08-02-2008, 08:28 PM

I think I've figured out what your problem is. You've been following the wrong candidate.

HolmeZz
08-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Have you seen McCain WITH a teleprompter in front of him?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DqR7zis99I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DqR7zis99I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I can't wait to see more of this across the stage with Obama:

YouTube - McCain Smiles: &quot;Gates of Hell&quot;

Chris Matthews: ....k..... ROFL

Direckshun
08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
And I just know that's what Donger and his ilk are going to be trumpeting after the debate.

McCain will perform decently, I believe, but more importantly, he won't look like the buffoon that he's been blown up to be in YouTubes like the above.

As a result, he will have "kept up with Obama," and therefore Donger would declare victory.

But I'd like to hear Donger say he disagrees with this notion.

Messier
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't wait to see more of this across the stage with Obama:

YouTube - McCain Smiles: &quot;Gates of Hell&quot; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_-rnJxo0Fo)

Chris Matthews: ....k..... ROFL

The only thing that scares me about debates is that back in 2000 it seemed so obvious that Gore should win. He was smarter that Bush, he was better spoken than bush, but it still seemed to always come out even, probably because as smart as he was, Gore always seemed so stiff. Still Obama has so much more charisma than McCain it might work out differently.

whoman69
08-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Bush got waxed in the debates and didn't really lose ground because the bar was set so low for him. Anyone who believes that McCain doesn't gain by the same low expectations is simply avoiding the facts. Obama is not a great debater because the conversation is so low key. People will look at him and expect the same fire they see in his speeches. McCain will simply have to stay on message in order to be considered the winner of the debates. He usually has a zinger which he will let loose on his opponents at an opportune moment, such as when he called Romney an actor. Most people won't be bothered to listen to the whole debate, they will decide who won through sound bites.

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 04:14 AM
GUESTIONS LIKE THIS...

Smed1065
08-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I don't think those ad's had an impact on the voting public. I think they had an impact on their intended target-- B.O.

Any impact on the public, was probably on Hillary supporters, because Hillary effectively fired similar cannon balls across his bow.

The guy is rattled from what amounts to a jab. What is he going to do when the heat gets turned up a few more degrees?

I think it's all uphill for McCain. B.O.'s support will remain static, just as it has since the end of the primary.

Is it just me or is the only tactic I have seen from McCane (yes, a cane needed) and supporters is fear?

No plan but if we do not win, be afraid, very afraid.

Yes, McCane has experience and it proves most Americans can judge he flipped-flopped depending on the year and opportunities at the time.

Deflect and project, if you have nothing else.
Fear the other person because we have nothing?

Uphill is hard with a cane.

:D

***SPRAYER
08-03-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.freeulysses.com/uploaded_images/barack-lenin-large-718689.jpg

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 08:43 AM
LOL I GET IT HE'S A COMMUNIST

TITS TITS TITS TITS TITS TITS

Messier
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.freeulysses.com/uploaded_images/barack-lenin-large-718689.jpg

Wow! Really?

Programmer
08-03-2008, 09:20 AM
In the Town Halls or not, Obama still loses the war.

If he shows he will humiliate himself.

If he doesn't show it tells us all that he cannot win a debate.

Direckshun
08-03-2008, 09:22 AM
In the Town Halls or not, Obama still loses the war.

If he shows he will humiliate himself.

If he doesn't show it tells us all that he cannot win a debate.
Of course he's going to show. Of course he's going to debate. That was never in question.

I will leave this forum forever is McCain and Obama don't debate this election season.

Why do you think he'd "humiliate himself," though?

HonestChieffan
08-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Obama wants a fully scripted debate with some panel of morons asking questions. He will not face a Town Hall with people asking questions that have not been set up through careful staging.

Direckshun
08-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Obama wants a fully scripted debate with some panel of morons asking questions. He will not face a Town Hall with people asking questions that have not been set up through careful staging.
You are a man of faith. I'll give you that.

banyon
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM

What kind of guestions would he be afraid of?

VAChief
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM

:shake:

Messier
08-03-2008, 10:08 AM

I would say the exact opposite is true. Obama is incredible off the cuff. McCain not as much.

Direckshun
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I would say the exact opposite is true. Obama is incredible off the cuff. McCain not as much.
I've actually seen them both in person this election cycle and I'll say that both are very sharp off the cuff.

Obama's got a very jokey sense of humor and McCain has a great, dirty wit to him. In my personal estimation, Obama has an easier time conjuring up facts and statistics on his feet than does McCain, but I feel both are pretty adequate at it.

HC_Chief
08-03-2008, 10:25 AM
LOL I GET IT HE'S A COMMUNIST

TITS TITS TITS TITS TITS TITS

Marxist, actually.

VAChief
08-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Marxist, actually.

I think McCain actually went to school with Karl.

***SPRAYER
08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I think McCain actually went to school with Karl.

Good one!

:clap:

wazu
08-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I've actually seen them both in person this election cycle and I'll say that both are very sharp off the cuff.

Obama's got a very jokey sense of humor and McCain has a great, dirty wit to him. In my personal estimation, Obama has an easier time conjuring up facts and statistics on his feet than does McCain, but I feel both are pretty adequate at it.

I'd share that assessment, although I'd also add that they are both wrong about almost everything.

alanm
08-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Define "beat."

What does Obama weigh 140, 150 lbs soaking wet? Hell at 71 yrs old even, McCain should be able to Power Bomb him to the stage with ease. :harumph:

Programmer
08-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Of course he's going to show. Of course he's going to debate. That was never in question.

I will leave this forum forever is McCain and Obama don't debate this election season.

Why do you think he'd "humiliate himself," though?

The town hall debates are unscripted. The debates you are talking about are scripted so the handlers can prepare the candidates with answers. Obama has proven that he doesn't have the ability to think on his feet.

Programmer
08-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Most of the things that the libs deny about Obama have been from comments he's made without approval of his handlers.

beer bacon
08-03-2008, 03:37 PM
The town hall debates are unscripted. The debates you are talking about are scripted so the handlers can prepare the candidates with answers. Obama has proven that he doesn't have the ability to think on his feet.

Prove that Obama has proven he doesn't have the ability to think on his feet.

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
What does Obama weigh 140, 150 lbs soaking wet? Hell at 71 yrs old even, McCain should be able to Power Bomb him to the stage with ease. :harumph:170ish, I believe, and seeing as McCain is about as tall as Rey Mysterio and literally cannot raise his arms above his head, I'll take that bet.

Programmer
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Prove that Obama has proven he doesn't have the ability to think on his feet.

Have you heard him speak without having a pre-planned speech? If you have and still have to ask the question you are out of touch with the democrats party line.

beer bacon
08-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Have you heard him speak without having a pre-planned speech? If you have and still have to ask the question you are out of touch with the democrats party line.

Yes I have. I am not asking for your opinion. You said "Obama has proven that he cannot think on his feet." My experiences tell me the exact opposite of this, and I would like to see this proof you are referring to.

StcChief
08-03-2008, 06:05 PM
B.O. is starting to show some chinks in the armour. I think he's got a glass jaw. He's really upset over these silly ad's.

ROFLarmour. he's more of a hot dog....

debate in Townhall Pussy

Programmer
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes I have. I am not asking for your opinion. You said "Obama has proven that he cannot think on his feet." My experiences tell me the exact opposite of this, and I would like to see this proof you are referring to.

Prove my opinion? Prove your opinion!

Come se, come sa (or however you spell it.)

Obama is a puppet that needs direction from his handlers and if he is in a town meeting he doesn't have them pulling his strings. If he is as good as you want to believe he is, why has he backed out of the one on one unscripted debates?

Messier
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Prove my opinion? Prove your opinion!

Come se, come sa (or however you spell it.)

Obama is a puppet that needs direction from his handlers and if he is in a town meeting he doesn't have them pulling his strings. If he is as good as you want to believe he is, why has he backed out of the one on one unscripted debates?

What leads to to think this? What from Obama have you seen that tells you, this guy can't think for himself?

Programmer
08-04-2008, 08:46 AM
What leads to to think this? What from Obama have you seen that tells you, this guy can't think for himself?

Some of the stupid shit he says when his controllers are not telling him what he thinks.