PDA

View Full Version : Football Goodell vs Farve

philfree
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know the procedure for a retired player to be reinstated back into the NFL but it seems to me that Goodell is helping the Packers out by not yet reinstating Farve into the league. Does anyone else think this is BS by Goodell?

PhilFree:arrow:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2008, 06:40 PM
The Packers have a right to get the best deal, but Favre as a player, has the right to play and deserves to get to play elsewhere if he wants to.

I will lose respect for Favre if he decides to take the money and stay retired though. He wants to play, I hope he doesn't let money talk him out of it. I hate the Packers now though for even trying to bribe him like that.

Deberg_1990
08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
If he wants to play again Favre has a variety of options. Im sure the CFL or AFL would welcome him with open arms.

kstater
08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
The Packers have a right to get the best deal, but Favre as a player, has the right to play and deserves to get to play elsewhere if he wants to.

I will lose respect for Favre if he decides to take the money and stay retired though. He wants to play, I hope he doesn't let money talk him out of it. I hate the Packers now though for even trying to bribe him like that.

I find it tough to blame the Packers too much here. They continued to ask him throughout the Spring and early Summer. They moved on and then he decides he wants to play again. Now he's continuing to draw this out by saying he might decide to take the money. I personally think Favre just likes the attention.

dirk digler
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM
From what I read they commish didn't want to overshadow HOF weekend with the Favre story so he is waiting until Monday.

RufusRJones
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know how this "marketing agreement" can be legal by NFL rules? It sure seems like deferred compensation to me...I would think it would have to count against the salary cap in some way, otherwise it just seems like a easy way to circumvent the salary cap rules.

With that said, the Packers are nuts. Apparently they've forgotten the days of the Majik Man and Randy Wright. If they don't want Favre they should just release him. I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers, that's quite a shadow to work out from under.

JuicesFlowing
08-02-2008, 08:03 PM

I agree. I can't believe how paranoid the Packers are about trading Favre to a division rival and getting beat by him.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I agree. I can't believe how paranoid the Packers are about trading Favre to a division rival and getting beat by him.

Yeah, if the Packers had any confidence in their team or in Rodgers they wouldn't mind trading him. I know it's not good business to do that, but they'd be sending a message to the team they trade Favre to, the division and to the league.

Joie
08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, if the Packers had any confidence in their team or in Rodgers they wouldn't mind trading him. I know it's not good business to do that, but they'd be sending a message to the team they trade Favre to, the division and to the league.

Not to mention to Rodgers.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Not to mention to Rodgers.

Yeah I mentioned that lol

Joie
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Yeah I mentioned that lol

Where?

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Where?

Yeah, where?

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I find it tough to blame the Packers too much here. They continued to ask him throughout the Spring and early Summer. They moved on and then he decides he wants to play again. Now he's continuing to draw this out by saying he might decide to take the money. I personally think Favre just likes the attention.

im inclined to agree

JuicesFlowing
08-02-2008, 09:04 PM
No matter how this goes down, when people think about Brett Favre, they will think of this ridiculous mess, and not his hall of fame career.

J Diddy
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
No matter how this goes down, when people think about Brett Favre, they will think of this ridiculous mess, and not his hall of fame career.

oh i dont know

if he plays for another team he's an idiot
that'

Valiant
08-02-2008, 09:20 PM

What about ****ing Favre??

The guy tells other people they need to honor contracts they hire(Walker)..

Then wants the Packers to release him if they are not going to make him the starter.. Makes all of this public instead of privately saying trade me to the AFC or a non NFCN team..

Then throws these antics hurting the teams chances of dealing if other teams think Goodell will force them to release him..

I would love nothing better then the Packers accepting him back and just have him work out in the weight room during preseason and ride the bench..

Mecca
08-02-2008, 09:21 PM
What about ****ing Favre??

The guy tells other people they need to honor contracts they hire(Walker)..

Then wants the Packers to release him if they are not going to make him the starter.. Makes all of this public instead of privately saying trade me to the AFC or a non NFCN team..

Then throws these antics hurting the teams chances of dealing if other teams think Goodell will force them to release him..

I would love nothing better then the Packers accepting him back and just have him work out in the weight room during preseason and ride the bench..

That's a nice idea till you realize the stupid pressure that would put on Rodgers he'd have to be perfect.

Valiant
08-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know how this "marketing agreement" can be legal by NFL rules? It sure seems like deferred compensation to me...I would think it would have to count against the salary cap in some way, otherwise it just seems like a easy way to circumvent the salary cap rules.

With that said, the Packers are nuts. Apparently they've forgotten the days of the Majik Man and Randy Wright. If they don't want Favre they should just release him. I feel bad for Aaron Rodgers, that's quite a shadow to work out from under.

Why should the team just release him and let him go to a rival for nothing?? If they release him on their own they have to pay out those years to 2010 up front yes?? Unless Goodell steps in..

Favre could have handled this earlier but did not.. Everything is his fault in the way things have happened..

The Pack is trying to move on.. But Favre and Goodell are screwing it up.. He probably has his teams picked out he wants to go to, and the Pack have theirs..

Then lets add the fact of Minnesota's and Favre's tampering.. They should get Minnesota's first just for the phonecall..

Valiant
08-02-2008, 09:26 PM
That's a nice idea till you realize the stupid pressure that would put on Rodgers he'd have to be perfect.

No, hopefully it would force one of the other teams to make the trade for him.. IF I am a owner or GM of another team I would wait for Goodell just to step in and get Favre without having to get anything..

Because imo I believe Goodell will force Favre's release because he does not want a bad image on the league.. Just like the destroying of all the evidence in the spygate scandal.. Why destroy evidence if there was nothing extra there??

Mecca
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
This whole thing is just dumb, but I'm sure there are numerous people that think Favre is in the right and this is the Packers fault.

whoman69
08-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Though they have done some stupid things, I have to side with the team on this one. How many years is it now that Brett Favre has pretty much waited until the last minute to make an announcement as to whether he would retire. If he had a another year like 2006 then nobody would really be making a big deal about the Packers hoping he would stay retired. Sure he's been the face of the franchise for more than 15 years. That doesn't mean that they have to hang on every year waiting for him to decide if he really wants to play or not. Football is smart enough to not hand out non-trade contracts like they were candy. He signed a contract with the Packers. They have the right to not let him go for nothing. He holds the cards to refuse to show up to any trade he is wanting to go to. That is what makes him so hard to deal. How many teams are out there that you can really say are a QB away from winning the Super Bowl, which is what Brett wants? How stupid would the Packers have to be to give him his release and then watch him sign with the Vikings?