PDA

View Full Version : Misc WTF is spinning ?

88TG88
08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Some broad comes into my place of work today and asks me if we have shoes for her spinning classes. I'm completely lost so I just shrug my shoulders. She says "You know, spinning" and I say " Oh yeah spinning, they're over here". I point her to the shoes and take off before she asks me anymore crazy questions.

I don't think its actual spinning so wtf is this ?

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Stationary bikes.

You pedal, the wheel spins, calories are burnt adding to your carbon footprint.

Phobia
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Stationary bikes.

What the? You need special shoes for that? I'd have shown her a shapely pair of stilettos.

MIAdragon
08-02-2008, 07:24 PM
These will do nicely.

http://www.leatherlollipop.com/prod_images_large/TIP-701-3chpg_tip_jar_shoes_hot_pink_lips1.jpg

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
What the? You need special shoes for that? I'd have shown her a shapely pair of stilettos.

They might have pedals like racing bikes have where the sole has a clamp that clicks into a clamp on the pedal, more likely just a slim shoe with a stiff sole like a driving shoe that slides easily into pedal straps. I'll tell you it's a bitch to slide regular cross trainers into the straps on my mountain bike. I'm futzing around halfway down the block if I try.

EDIT: Google sez, some also have an angle to the sole so that the shoe sits on the pedal in a way that puts less stress on the knees.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TEIlgHQ0L._AA280_.jpg

Phobia
08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I still think it's retarded that I need a special pair of cleats for softball and then a different pair for football.

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I still think it's retarded that I need a special pair of cleats for softball and then a different pair for football.

Don't play either, but isn't that because somethings are allowed as cleats in FB that aren't in softball. I could also see linemen needing a lot more high ankle support than softball players.

88TG88
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Stationary bikes.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that makes sense

I don't see why they need cleats though.

Baby Lee
08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh that makes sense

I don't see why they need cleats though.

Not cleats, a smooth hard sole that slides onto the pedal easily and transfers more power into the machinery.

Moon§hiner
08-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Al Bundy got his start by asking about shoes on a message board...give the guy a break

NewChief
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
They might have pedals like racing bikes have where the sole has a clamp that clicks into a clamp on the pedal,

That's correct. They actually clip in, just like on a roadie or mountain bike. I was doing an early morning spinning class twice a week for a few months. It's pretty good stuff. I never got the shoes, though. They have the standard toe straps that you find on most mountain bikes on them as well, so you don't have to have the clip-in shoes.

CrazyPhuD
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
These will do nicely.

http://www.leatherlollipop.com/prod_images_large/TIP-701-3chpg_tip_jar_shoes_hot_pink_lips1.jpg

THey'd definitely work if she was a spinner.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spinner

Rain Man
08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
She's a pole dancer. You know, they spin on the pole and all.

Next time she comes in, ask her for a lap dance.

cdcox
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I was riding with strapless cleats on my road bike 15 years ago. They provide a much better mechanical connection to the bike than toe straps. Plus, the sole of a cycling shoe is completely stiff so that downward pressure is transmitted to the pedal instead of flexing the shoe. A good cyclist, or spinner, pedals in circles, instead of up and down. A lot of the power comes from the 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock portion of the stroke (counter clockwise). You can't tap into that part of the stroke without straps or cleats.

jidar
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.thethomasranch.com/cowspin.gif

this cow is spinning.

milkman
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
This question should have been e-mailed to Greg Robinson.

Valiant
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM

I wear soccer shoes, for soccer, football and softball.. ****ing things work for everything..

Of course they are not hightops.. ****ing hate them things..

Phobia
08-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I wear soccer shoes, for soccer, football and softball.. ****ing things work for everything..

Of course they are not hightops.. ****ing hate them things..

I'm not sure why I wear hightops. My ankles are indestructible. I'll roll an ankle and be fine for the next play. I dunno. I'm probably foreshadowing.

PastorMikH
08-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I was riding with strapless cleats on my road bike 15 years ago. They provide a much better mechanical connection to the bike than toe straps. Plus, the sole of a cycling shoe is completely stiff so that downward pressure is transmitted to the pedal instead of flexing the shoe. A good cyclist, or spinner, pedals in circles, instead of up and down. A lot of the power comes from the 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock portion of the stroke (counter clockwise). You can't tap into that part of the stroke without straps or cleats.

My uncle rides a bike like that. When he first got it he had a heck of a time getting the shoes to unhook. Fast forward to my cousin and a couple of her friends sitting at a stoplight in town and the friends start laughing at an old dude who just pulled up to the intersection on a bike, stopped, then fell over sideways. They are all laughing at him until she realized it was her dad who's feet were stuck to the peddles.

Skip Towne
08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
My uncle rides a bike like that. When he first got it he had a heck of a time getting the shoes to unhook. Fast forward to my cousin and a couple of her friends sitting at a stoplight in town and the friends start laughing at an old dude who just pulled up to the intersection on a bike, stopped, then fell over sideways. They are all laughing at him until she realized it was her dad who's feet were stuck to the peddles.
:LOL:

DaneMcCloud
08-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Some broad comes into my place of work today and asks me if we have shoes for her spinning classes. I'm completely lost so I just shrug my shoulders. She says "You know, spinning" and I say " Oh yeah spinning, they're over here". I point her to the shoes and take off before she asks me anymore crazy questions.

I don't think its actual spinning so wtf is this ?

Two words:

**** her. **** her now.

She's probably hitting on you anyway.

**** her. **** her now.

:evil:

You'll be lucky to find someone that "tight" for probably 5 or 6 days.

**** her. **** her now.

cdcox
08-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Been there done that. But the cleats are much easier to pull out of than the old toeclips. In either case, if you plan ahead just a little bit, there is no problem. But if you wait until you are almost stopped to start disengaging your foot, you have a good chance of falling over.