PDA

View Full Version : Elections A free concert to draw people to your rally? Shameful!

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
(Especially when you only draw a fraction of the crowds that show up for the artist's normal concerts.)

200,000, 200. Same diff.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/01/mccains_country_music_extravag.html

McCain's Country Music Extravaganza
By Juliet Eilperin
PANAMA CITY, Fla. -- "Can I get a yee-haw?"

With that, country music star John Rich launched into a spirited "Country First" concert on behalf Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) tonight featuring his number-one hit "Lost in This Moment with You" and the debut of a song he had written especially for the presumptive GOP nominee, "Raising McCain."

The free concert, sponsored by the Florida Republican Party, attracted several hundred people including a fan sporting a homemade T-shirt saying, "Don't let the USA become an Obama-Nation."

The 34-year old Rich, saying he was feeling "a little feisty," delivered a tune about American conquest with the introduction, "Here's an oldie but goodie about America kicking a little butt."

Before playing Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line," he declared that the song was tantamount to a McCain endorsement.

"Somebody's got to walk the line in the country. They've got to walk it unapologetically," he said. "And I'm sure Johnnny Cash would have been a John McCain supporter if he was still around."

Actually, Cash backed Democratic president Jimmy Carter. And Rich himself supported former Tennessee senator Fred Thompson's bid for the GOP presidential nomination this year, calling him the "only true conservative" in the 2008 Republican primary, until Thompson dropped out of the race.

The crowd cheered at Rich's patriotic lyrics, including an homage to World War II veterans -- "The Man" -- with the line, "'cause we'd all be speaking German, living under the flag of the Japan, if it wasn't for the Good Lord and the Man.'"

As McCain's Straight Talk Express bus drove up to the concert grounds Rich launched into "Raising McCain," which pays homage to the senator's time in captivity during the Vietnam War.

"He stayed strong, stayed extra long till they let all the other boys out. Now we've got a real man with an American plan, we're going to put him in the big White House," he sang and his band played the zydeco-infused tune. "You can get on the train or get out of the way. We're all just raising McCain."

Rich is part of the musical duo "Big and Rich": his partner "Big Kenny" Alphin has endorsed and contributed to Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.). Rich told the audience he wrote the song because so many musicians and celebrities are liberal.

"I always see the other side of the story all the time," he lamented. "It is a rockin' country song about John McCain and everything he done for this country, and what he's done to get to this point, to be the leader of the free world."

Smed1065
08-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Backing his second choice for a candidate.
:rolleyes:

Oh no McCane.

Strategy must have worked, so we point it out, complain and try to copy it.

Why did it not work for us? :doh!:

What do you mean 200, damn bean counters missed a 0./McCane

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2008, 04:42 AM
"And I'm sure Johnnny Cash would have been a John McCain supporter if he was still around."

How dare you desecrate his name like that.

HolmeZz
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
"I always love an argument that speculates about what a dead guy would do!"