PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Herm's Injury Curse

Direckshun
08-03-2008, 09:27 AM
There's a certain random nature to injuries, of course, but isn't there something to be explained by the fact that injuries haunt Herm Edwards at every turn?

What is it about Herm that creates an atmosphere of countless injuries?

Does he not condition them well enough?

Are they never in good enough shape?

Ideas, thoughts, tears welcome.

Zouk
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Dude - players will be getting injuries that put them out for the year in almost all training camps. Missing 2-5 weeks is a little bit different. This post would be appropriate if Albert had Lis Franc and Dorsey tore his ACL. But as of right now, both are likely to play Week 1 and you're freaking over very little.

JuicesFlowing
08-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I didn't think either would be available for week 1 ...?

Mizzou_8541
08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Most of the injuries are with the offensive line, correct? (which in turn translates to poor line play which then translates into Croyle getting destroyed?) Can you really blame Herm for it or the fact that they are 300 pound behemoths? I'm not trying to defend Herm, I am seriously asking.

chiefqueen
08-03-2008, 10:03 AM
More often than not it seems to me sprained knees turn into torn ACLs.

blueballs
Injuries buy old vets another season
it's as old as the game

HonestChieffan
Herm is the Chiefs Curse. Fire Herm and solves two issues at once.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Herm is the Chiefs Curse. Fire Herm and solves two issues at once.
shit, the chiefs have been cursed for a long long time

splatbass
08-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Someone weighing 300lbs. stepped on Albert's foot. How does that have anything to do with conditioning? It was just a freak accident.

Mizzou_8541
08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Someone weighing 300lbs. stepped on Albert's foot. How does that have anything to do with conditioning? It was just a freak accident.

Well, if a 150 pound person steps on a foot running full speed it is not going to be nearly as big a deal as if Glenn Dorsey steps on a foot running full speed. It was a freak accident and I never said anything about conditioning. I was asking how you could blame Herm.

milkman
08-03-2008, 10:30 AM
More often than not it seems to me sprained knees turn into torn ACLs.

If you read fotmerdb's report about Glen Dorsey that BigRedChief posted, the trainers/doctors pulled on his upper and lower legs nad said it was tight.

That is usually a pretty fair indication that the ACL is intact.

Skip Towne
08-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, if a 150 pound person steps on a foot running full speed it is not going to be nearly as big a deal as if Glenn Dorsey steps on a foot running full speed. It was a freak accident and I never said anything about conditioning. I was asking how you could blame Herm.

Because he was handy?

Mizzou_8541
08-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Because he was handy?

Well played.

blueballs
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
well the waiver wire will be watched

Baby Lee
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
If you read fotmerdb's report about Glen Dorsey that BigRedChief posted, the trainers/doctors pulled on his upper and lower legs nad said it was tight.

That is usually a pretty fair indication that the ACL is intact.

Wait! They pulled his nads?

Skip Towne
08-03-2008, 11:20 AM

I'd change doctors.

milkman
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM

Just doing their due dilligence.

FAX
08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Dang nad pullers. Off with their heads.

Has anyone done a titty graph that illustrates whether or not the number of injuries the Chiefs have suffered during the Herm era is outside the boundary of mathmatical probability? If it proves true, one could make the argument that our highly valued rookies ought to be worked into the rotation slowly to get them in NFL condition before going up against NFL caliber competition. And, of course, if it proves true, one could make the argument that Herm requires a super noogie.

FAX

penguinz
08-03-2008, 12:38 PM
More often than not it seems to me sprained knees turn into torn ACLs.A sprain is a torn ligament.

JuicesFlowing
08-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I would love to see factual stats of NFL teams with the most training camp injuries and who the coach is/was. I am doubting the coach has anything to do with it, but I would accept being proven wrong with data.

chief52
08-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Off with their heads.

Has anyone done a titty graph
FAX

ROFLROFLROFL

I will never look at the bell curve the same way again!!!

PastorMikH
08-03-2008, 02:25 PM
What is the deal with our Head Coach curses?

Marty was cursed with not being able to win in the post season

DV was cursed with Gread Offense/Horrible Defense

Herm with the apparent injury curse

And Gunther with the internet canning curse

Why can't we get a non-cursed coach?

whoman69
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't think you can cite the problem on Herm for rookies who worked out on their own until they were signed.

dorseybowe
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM

The object is clear: We must sacrifice Damon Huard.

blueballs
08-03-2008, 02:45 PM
since they're rookies only in camp for a few days wouldn't their condition be on their college coaches
should they slow down camp to bring rookies up to speed
then they would need to lengthen training camp

Mecca
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I've talked about this a few times before, teams have to be lucky to stay healthy, Herm is very unlucky in this regard, he's had tons of players get injured.

B_Ambuehl
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Herm has a reputation in the NFL as running a country club type practice schedule. HIs teams (even the good ones he's had) always start slow too.

Having said that, injuries are usually blamed on the strength and conditioning staff. It's usually not their fault either, but it's how they're evaluated and if this persists you can be sure the current group will be gone next year.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Another thing, do guys notice when gochiefs cites "STAY DOWN BITCH" line concerning the opposition a few days later one of our guys gets injured instead. last season it was LJ, and now Albert and Dorsey.

FAX
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I haven't notice that, Mr. Tribal Warfare. But, I have been aware that several Planeteers have voiced their hope that we make it out of pre-season injury free. I remember thinking at the time, that's just asking for trouble.

FAX

Shaid
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
From what I've heard Herm's philosophy is to have them practice a short period of time but to practice full-speed as if it was a live game. The DV practices were longer but probably not as intense. I'd think intense, hard-hitting practices would lead to more injuries. The philosophy makes sense if you want to have your players constantly practice like they would play, but there are obvious downsides.

Bill Parcells
08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
There's a certain random nature to injuries, of course, but isn't there something to be explained by the fact that injuries haunt Herm Edwards at every turn?

What is it about Herm that creates an atmosphere of countless injuries?

Does he not condition them well enough?

Are they never in good enough shape?

Herman Edwards is the devil.

TEX
08-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I dislike Herm Edwards as a football coach. Therfore, everything bad that happens is his fault...