PDA

View Full Version : Computers MAC help anyone...please life or death

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 09:50 AM
As some of you know I'm in the ad business with the mrs and we're on a deadline this coming week.Well this morning her Mac which does all the graphics etc. will not boot up.

Now I don't know anything about puters and our normal guy can't be reached on a Sunday so I'm just looking for troubleshooting here,please.She powers it on and the screen has the icon come up that looks like it's loading but it just continues to spin and nothing.

Any ideas at all appreciated.

TIA

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Put in the restore cd or OSX cd (one that came with laptop) and boot up the computer while holding "C"
Do you happen to have Disk Warrior on a cd?

Are you getting a flashing "?"

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Put in the restore cd or OSX cd (one that came with laptop) and boot up the computer while holding "C"
Do you happen to have Disk Warrior on a cd?

Are you getting a flashing "?"

She said something about the puter guy upgrading her to something called Tiger and no to your ? on Disk Warrior.

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
She said something about the puter guy upgrading her to something called Tiger and no to your ? on Disk Warrior.

Disk Warrior would be really helpful - You need to repair your startup permissions and you can also do this with Disk Utility.
So you do not have the installation cds that came with the laptop nor the OS X Tiger cds/dvd?
If not, take it to an Apple Store (Genius Bar)

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Disk Warrior would be really helpful - You need to repair your startup permissions and you can also do this with Disk Utility.
So you do not have the installation cds that came with the laptop nor the OS X Tiger cds/dvd?
If not, take it to an Apple Store (Genius Bar)

She has the OS X Tiger cd's

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 10:56 AM
She has the OS X Tiger cd's

Did you try to boot from the cd? Hold "C" while starting up.

If not, try booting into safe mode:

startup holding the shift key that will boot into safe mode. It will take some time but be patient.

When you are in, go to:

Users/user~/Library/preferences/

and locate: com.apple.finder.plist

Delete this file, reboot & run disk utility to repair disk permissions.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Did you try to boot from the cd? Hold "C" while starting up.

If not, try booting into safe mode:

startup holding the shift key that will boot into safe mode. It will take some time but be patient.

When you are in, go to:

Users/user~/Library/preferences/

and locate: com.apple.finder.plist

Delete this file, reboot & run disk utility to repair disk permissions.

What is "some time?"

She's been doing this about 3-4 minutes now

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
What is "some time?"

She's been doing this about 3-4 minutes now

I'm assuming that you're unable to boot from the cd and you're trying to boot into safe mode?
I you've been holding the shift key for longer than 5 minutes - It's not going to boot.

File system may be corrupt and reinstalling the OS may be necessary.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm assuming that you're unable to boot from the cd and you're trying to boot into safe mode?
I you've been holding the shift key for longer than 5 minutes - It's not going to boot.

File system may be corrupt and reinstalling the OS may be necessary.

We really appreciate all your help,guess she's going to wait till morning and call a tech,man I hope they can get us up and going same day or this could be a real interesting deadline.

gblowfish
08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Turn the computer off, do if from the wall plug if you need to. Plug back in, hit the on button, hold down the space bar. Give it a couple minutes if need be. If this doesn't work, try holding down the tray eject button (looks like an up arrow with a line under it). Put in the OSX disc that came with the computer, try to re-start (unplug the computer if you have to). Start back up with the OSX disc in the disc drive, hold down the "C" key on startup to try to re-start from the OSX disc. If this works, go to the disc utility program and run a permission repairs. If this doesn't work, send me a PM. I have a program called "disc warrior" that will fix just about anything.

Have you been backing up your important data? Huh????

Braincase
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Hope everything goes OK. Regardless of OS, this kind of thing sucks hind tit. I hope you backed everything up prior to the upgrade so you can restore to the previous version.

Sincerely,

Fish
08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Turn the computer off, do if from the wall plug if you need to. Plug back in, hit the on button, hold down the space bar. Give it a couple minutes if need be. If this doesn't work, try holding down the tray eject button (looks like an up arrow with a line under it). Put in the OSX disc that came with the computer, try to re-start (unplug the computer if you have to). Start back up with the OSX disc in the disc drive, hold down the "C" key on startup to try to re-start from the OSX disc. If this works, go to the disc utility program and run a permission repairs.

This is what you need to do. I'd like to clarify the last part a little bit, as it's slightly confusing if you don't know what you're doing. Once you boot to the OS X CD, it will present you with a screen asking you to select your language. Click English. At the next screen, click on the menu bar at the top. There should be a menu list called Utilities. It that Utilities list will be an app called Disk Utility. Click that. When Disk Utility loads, highlight your hard drive. It will present the First Aid tab, which will have options to Verify Permissions, Repair Permissions, Verify Disk, and Repair Disk. Do the Disk Repair first. That will likely fix the bootup issue. When that's finished, run a Permissions repair for good measure.

When that's all finished, hold the power button down until the machine powers off. Then start it up again.

I wouldn't worry too much about Disk Warrior. If the included Disk Utility won't fix it, it's not very likely that Disk Warrior will have an better results.

Fish
08-03-2008, 03:49 PM
If you have a second Mac, you can boot up the broken one while holding down the "T" key, and put it in firewire mode. At that point you can connect it to another Mac using a firewire cable, and the broken one will show up as a drive on the other Mac. At that point you can pull off the files you need from the broken one....

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
This is what you need to do. I'd like to clarify the last part a little bit, as it's slightly confusing if you don't know what you're doing. Once you boot to the OS X CD, it will present you with a screen asking you to select your language. Click English. At the next screen, click on the menu bar at the top. There should be a menu list called Utilities. It that Utilities list will be an app called Disk Utility. Click that. When Disk Utility loads, highlight your hard drive. It will present the First Aid tab, which will have options to Verify Permissions, Repair Permissions, Verify Disk, and Repair Disk. Do the Disk Repair first. That will likely fix the bootup issue. When that's finished, run a Permissions repair for good measure.

When that's all finished, hold the power button down until the machine powers off. Then start it up again.

I wouldn't worry too much about Disk Warrior. If the included Disk Utility won't fix it, it's not very likely that Disk Warrior will have an better results.

He doesn't have the cds that came with the laptop (which are specific to that laptop) - He more than likely won't be able to boot from the Tiger upgrade cds..
Disk Warrior would be a better choice.

You should PM gblowfish about hooking you up with the cd.

Fish
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
He doesn't have the cds that came with the laptop (which are specific to that laptop) - He more than likely won't be able to boot from the Tiger upgrade cds..
Disk Warrior would be a better choice.

You should PM gblowfish about hooking you up with the cd.

You don't have to have the same CDs that came with the laptop. Any OS X Tiger install disk will work. Including the Tiger upgrade CDs. It may say OS X cannot be installed on this computer, but you can still access all the Utilities from the Menu just the same.

Disk Warrior does the same directory rebuild that Disk Utility does. And like I said, if Disk Utility won't fix it, you're not going to have any better luck with Disk Warrior.

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 04:13 PM
You don't have to have the same CDs that came with the laptop. Any OS X Tiger install disk will work. Including the Tiger upgrade CDs. It may say OS X cannot be installed on this computer, but you can still access all the Utilities from the Menu just the same.

Disk Warrior does the same directory rebuild that Disk Utility does. And like I said, if Disk Utility won't fix it, you're not going to have any better luck with Disk Warrior.

This has been the case for my last three machines (12in pb, 15 macbook, mac mini)... System restore cds from a 15' pb will not boot a 12' pb (in most cases). Other install cds (including retail cds/dvd) would not allow me to boot from. I know this is the case for a lot of other users who have been in similar situations.
I'm recommending Disk Warrior because he cannot boot from the current install/upgrade cds he has.

Fish
08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
This has been the case for my last three machines (12in pb, 15 macbook, mac mini)... System restore cds from a 15' pb will not boot a 12' pb (in most cases). Other install cds (including retail cds/dvd) would not allow me to boot from. I know this is the case for a lot of other users who have been in similar situations.
I'm recommending Disk Warrior because he cannot boot from the current install/upgrade cds he has.

And I'm telling you that you can. It won't allow you to install the OS from those CDs, but the Utilities menu is there and accessible. I've done it many times with different machines.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm going to have the mrs read all this when her race is over,thanks again guys.

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
And I'm telling you that you can. It won't allow you to install the OS from those CDs, but the Utilities menu is there and accessible. I've done it many times with different machines.

You're not following me. I believe he said that he CANNOT boot from the cds that he has. The utilities menu will not be there if you can't boot from the cd... His screen stays on the apple logo and hangs. I've experienced this first hand; Had a 12in pb that came with Panther installed. I upgraded to Tiger and about a year later had a similar problem to that of the thread starter. I could not boot from my Tiger dvd or my install cds that came with my 15' mb... I had to go to www.ifixit.com and order the installation cds that CAME WITH my 12' pb --- Macforums are cluttered with topics like this.

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't ALWAYS work.

Nzoner - I've located my copy of Disk Warrior. I'll be more than happy to burn you a copy of it if you'd like.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Nzoner - I've located my copy of Disk Warrior. I'll be more than happy to burn you a copy of it if you'd like.

So does this disk warrior fix the problem?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can buy one locally and save the tech charge.

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 04:48 PM
So does this disk warrior fix the problem?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I can buy one locally and save the tech charge.

We're not 100% what the problem is exactly.

Disk Warrior will definitely aid you in repairing/rebuilding your disk though.

Were you planning on taking it to an Apple Store?

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, now that the race is over I can try to get this problem fixed! I will go try the reboot from the Tiger cd, I did get to the utilities bar earlier, just didn't know what to do when I got there! We unfortunately have no Apple store, or MAC-specific repair service of any kind here, but if I can at least save my last issues data I can get through the deadline. My initial problem started last night, when InDesign or Photoshop would not open, I could access the internet and email fine, my fonts were fine, it wasn't really locked up, just wouldn't open anything. So I turned it off to reboot, and have been trying ever since. Thanks for all your input, I'm going down to the office and try it again.
Thanks guys! Kathy

QuikSsurfer
08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi guys, now that the race is over I can try to get this problem fixed! I will go try the reboot from the Tiger cd, I did get to the utilities bar earlier, just didn't know what to do when I got there! We unfortunately have no Apple store, or MAC-specific repair service of any kind here, but if I can at least save my last issues data I can get through the deadline. My initial problem started last night, when InDesign or Photoshop would not open, I could access the internet and email fine, my fonts were fine, it wasn't really locked up, just wouldn't open anything. So I turned it off to reboot, and have been trying ever since. Thanks for all your input, I'm going down to the office and try it again.
Thanks guys! Kathy

This is good news. Let us know how it goes.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I ran the disk repair (no repairs necessary) and permissions repair (repairs completed), shut the computer off and rebooted. Same old thing...the apple icon and the little circle going round, and round, and round...I let it run for about 5 minutes, nothing. I will go unplug and try rebooting holding down the space bar, a suggestion from earlier I haven't tried.

Fish
08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
What type of Mac is it?

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
What type of Mac is it?

this is nzoner not my mrs,it's a G-5,remember i'm the real puter dipshit so that's all I know.A buddy of mine though just left(he knows a little about mac) and whatever he tried didn't work either,he thinks we have a shit battery,me I don't know just want it fixwd

Fish
08-03-2008, 09:51 PM
this is nzoner not my mrs,it's a G-5,remember i'm the real puter dipshit so that's all I know.A buddy of mine though just left(he knows a little about mac) and whatever he tried didn't work either,he thinks we have a shit battery,me I don't know just want it fixwd

Did you happen to check the free space on the drive when you were in Disk Utility? I've seen this happen when the disk gets full.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Did you happen to check the free space on the drive when you were in Disk Utility? I've seen this happen when the disk gets full.

yep,she said it was only at 36 gb out of 111

Fish
08-03-2008, 10:48 PM
If you have the install disks, or a Tiger install disk, you could do a Archive and Restore. That backs up everything and reinstalls system files. Then it copies your data back. It leaves a backup copy on the root of the drive in a folder called Previous Systems in case anything goes wrong. You'll have to rerun System Updates afterwards, but it will fix the problems. If everything works, you can delete the Previous Systems folder.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:15 AM
I thought Mac's didn't have problems....Haha, what a joker I am. LMAO

gblowfish
08-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, one thing I'll say is that the Mac OSX system has been much more stable than the older systems. Usually, when something crashed under OSX, it's major FUBAR.

Ebolapox
08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
damn, that SUCKS

and, not to be a jackass, but I thought macs were golden gods that NEVER had issues?!?

QuikSsurfer
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I thought Mac's didn't have problems....Haha, what a joker I am. LMAO

damn, that SUCKS

and, not to be a jackass, but I thought macs were golden gods that NEVER had issues?!?

:spock:
:rolleyes:

Silock
08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
damn, that SUCKS

Who said that?

SBK
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
:spock:
:rolleyes:

I want a Mac myself, it was a funny question as that's always the reason people give to spend more on Macs. :)