PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues House Republicans go back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices

alanm
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
August 03, 2008
Categories: energy (http://dyn.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/index.cfm/category/energy) House Republicans go back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices

Continuing with their guerilla tactics from last week, House Republicans will be back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices, even though Congress is in recess, and they may stay there all week.
More than a dozen Republicans have already committed to make appearances, according to House GOP leadership aide, including National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Cole (Okla.).
Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) and Mike Pence (R-Ind.), who lead Friday's five-hour talkathon after the House shut down for the August recess, are also expected to be there, according to this aide.
"In an urgent memo sent to GOP Members and staff Saturday (“A Call to Action on American Energy”), Republican Leader John Boehner (R-) and Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) hailed Friday’s action, and encouraged House Republicans to return to the Capitol beginning Monday morning to help keep the historic effort going," said a press release just released by Minority Leader Boehner's office.

“It’s not a request we make lightly. But the American people are suffering,” Boehner and Blunt said in the memo. “The consequences of continued congressional inaction on gas prices are unacceptable. We’ve called on the Speaker to call Congress back into an emergency session this month and schedule a vote on the American Energy Act. We must continue to make a stand until the Speaker complies.”
Update - Neither Boehner nor Blunt are expected to be in attendance at Monday's talkfest, and its unclear if they will show up at any point during the week, according to GOP leadership aides.

The session will not be televised, since C-Span does not control the cameras inside the House chamber. Rather, those come under the purview of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats, and they're unlikely to do anything to help Republicans.
But Republicans felt they got a lot of good press out of Friday's "revolt," so they will be back at it again, and younger GOP lawmakers were clearly energized by the tactic, something not evident among Republicans for most of the 110th Congress.
» Continue reading House Republicans go back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices (javascript:toggleLayer('summary');)
<style type="text/css"> div#summary{display: none;} </style> Pelosi was grilled by host George Stephanopolous on ABC's "This Week" over her refusal to allow an offshore oil drilling vote on the floor before the House adjourned for the five-week August recess, but Pelosi was having none of it.

"What you saw in the Congress this week was the war dance of the hand maidens of the oil companies," Pelosi said. That's what you saw on the Republican side of the aisle."

Pelosi and the Democrats have pushed alternatives to more drilling, including pointing out that oil companies already have control of 68 million acres of federal land and need to search for oil there first. Democrats are also pushing renewable fuels and conservation, and they're calling on President Bush to release 700 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/House_Republicans_to_go_back_on_the_floor_Monday_to_talk_gas_prices.html

alanm
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
This should be good TV. Course the main stream will ignore it :)

beer bacon
08-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh God GOP posturing gets me so hard. Let's do it guys. Let's increase the world oil supply by a minuscule amount in ten years for less then a decade. Let's solve our energy dependence problem! Just a few more gimmicks will do it!

alanm
08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh God GOP posturing gets me so hard. Let's do it guys. Let's increase the world oil supply by a minuscule amount in ten years for less then a decade. Let's solve our energy dependence problem! Just a few more gimmicks will do it!
10 yr excuse is bullshit. Just babble for the dems.

recxjake
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
This is very good... we have two options... pretend to fix it by filling our tires with... or drill to produce more supply.

Democrats are way off on this issue... the majority of Americans want to drill more!

recxjake
08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
10 yr excuse is bullshit. Just babble for the dems.

They said they same thing 10 years ago...

***SPRAYER
08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
They said they same thing 10 years ago...

I think they had the entire infrastructure for the Alaskan pipeline built in 3 years.

SBK
08-04-2008, 01:38 AM
These idiots haven't realized we don't need to drill, we just need more supply of air and spark plugs.

acesn8s
08-04-2008, 02:23 AM
These idiots haven't realized we don't need to drill, we just need more supply of air and spark plugs.
It takes petroleum to make tires and the coating for spark plug wires.

SBK
08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
It takes petroleum to make tires and the coating for spark plug wires.

We need to find a way to do it with wind.

acesn8s
08-04-2008, 03:45 AM
We need to find a way to do it with wind.Well they do seem to be blowing enough smoke up my ass.

SNR
08-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Either way, the Dems look like the badguys. And perhaps they are. With their majority, they should've been able to come up with some form of legislation.

The people the Democrats supposedly care about are suffering at the pump and they're going on vacation. If they really cared they would continue to sort shit out until something got done.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Either way, the Dems look like the badguys. And perhaps they are. With their majority, they should've been able to come up with some form of legislation.

The people the Democrats supposedly care about are suffering at the pump and they're going on vacation. If they really cared they would continue to sort shit out until something got done.

Would one be out of line to think that the democrats don't actually want lower gas prices? They want you pissed off at Bush in November so that they win the election?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Would one be out of line to think that the democrats don't actually want lower gas prices? They want you pissed off at Bush in November so that they win the election?

:spock:

So the Democrats are Machiavellian thugs dangling the golden carrot in front of limousine liberals and minorities, and Republicans are the noble men who are working so hard to fix the country that they've been at the helm of for the past eight years that they are foregoing their own vacation??

Yeah, sounds about right.

SBK
08-04-2008, 04:04 AM
:spock:

So the Democrats are Machiavellian thugs dangling the golden carrot in front of limousine liberals and minorities, and Republicans are the noble men who are working so hard to fix the country that they've been at the helm of for the past eight years that they are foregoing their own vacation??

Yeah, sounds about right.

I didn't say that. This is a political move no doubt. But I haven't seen democrats offering any solutions to lower gas prices, so my observation is that they don't want them lower.

SNR
08-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Would one be out of line to think that the democrats don't actually want lower gas prices? They want you pissed off at Bush in November so that they win the election?I'm saying they're all a bunch of lying scumbag politicians. D or R, it doesn't matter. It's stupid how some people believe the Democrats to be a bastion of hope and morality in the world. As evidenced by their showing in Congress and Pelosi, they're no ****ing better than the other guys.

That's what pisses me off about Obama. He's made a looooot of promises on the campaign trail. How many of those is he prepared to keep? What's realistic?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:12 AM
I didn't say that. This is a political move no doubt. But I haven't seen democrats offering any solutions to lower gas prices, so my observation is that they don't want them lower.

Oh like perhaps the Republicans blocking the Democrats energy proposal because they want an energy regulator who can keep speculators in check (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121747284606899739.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)?

Because that is a much longer-termed solution that is years off as opposed to creating new refineries, drilling the oil in new areas, and setting up the rigs??

Of course, god forbid we actually think about investing in alternative energy sources, we'll just play Hungry Hungry Hippos with the last three marbles left on the board.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:16 AM
And for what it's worth:

*** Commie Rag Alert***

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jared-bernstein/the-not-so-great-energy-d_b_116618.html

"If the oil companies wanted to drill for new oil, they could easily do so right now on the millions of acres of land currently available to them for leasing. As Joseph Romm, editor of the Climate Progress blog pointed out to me, there are thought to be 34 billion barrels of undiscovered oil under lands currently open to drilling, multiple times the amount that might be under the OCS or ANWR."

Ultra Peanut
08-04-2008, 04:18 AM
THEY CARE, you guys! THEY REALLY CARE!

SBK
08-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Oh like perhaps the Republicans blocking the Democrats energy proposal because they want an energy regulator who can keep speculators in check (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121747284606899739.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)?

Because that is a much longer-termed solution that is years off as opposed to creating new refineries, drilling the oil in new areas, and setting up the rigs??

Of course, god forbid we actually think about investing in alternative energy sources, we'll just play Hungry Hungry Hippos with the last three marbles left on the board.

I'm sure the onion farmers up north will let everyone know how stupid it is to end speculation.

I'll just take it that there's nothing from the democrats to lower gas prices now, and the ideas to lower gas prices are coming from the right.

Either way they're all full of crap.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm sure the onion farmers up north will let everyone know how stupid it is to end speculation.

I'll just take it that there's nothing from the democrats to lower gas prices now, and the ideas to lower gas prices are coming from the right.

Either way they're all full of crap.

What about the 68 million acres in untapped lands that the oil companies can currently drill on, but choose not to, that aren't part of a wild life reserve or out in the water where the rigs cost over half a million dollars a day just to rent?

Are those lying fallow for some reason? Was I not made aware of a grand idea of field rotation? Is this an Ocean and Polar decade?

acesn8s
08-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm saying they're all a bunch of lying scumbag politicians. D or R, it doesn't matter. It's stupid how some people believe the Democrats to be a bastion of hope and morality in the world. As evidenced by their showing in Congress and Pelosi, they're no ****ing better than the other guys.

That's what pisses me off about Obama. He's made a looooot of promises on the campaign trail. How many of those is he prepared to keep? What's realistic?
QFT

Not just Obama but McCain too.

SBK
08-04-2008, 04:27 AM
What about the 68 million acres in untapped lands that the oil companies can currently drill on, but choose not to, that aren't part of a wild life reserve or out in the water where the rigs cost over half a million dollars a day just to rent?

Are those lying fallow for some reason? Was I not made aware of a grand idea of field rotation? Is this an Ocean and Polar decade?

I'm officially a nerd, I have a congrats message above this reply for hitting 5,000 posts....:doh!:

My point still stands. The dems aren't proposing anything, aren't giving any new ideas, and aren't showing any interest in lowering gas prices. Kick and flail around all you want, you've not yet challenged my observation.

The only ideas I can recall are windfall taxes (higher prices), no drilling (no change in prices), future technologies (does nothing today), stimulus check paid by oil companies tax (higher prices).....what else am I missing?

It's okay if the democrats don't want to lower prices, it's a dumb political play, but it's okay if that's what they want.

acesn8s
08-04-2008, 04:28 AM

Are those lying fallow for some reason? Was I not made aware of a grand idea of field rotation? Is this an Ocean and Polar decade?I don't the details of this area of land but maybe it is not cost effective to drill on that land. What lays beneath the Earth's surface that they will need to drill?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:30 AM
I don't the details of this area of land but maybe it is not cost effective to drill on that land. What lays beneath the Earth's surface that they will need to drill?

It's many many times more expensive to drill offshore than on shore. Think about how an Oil Rig is built on land verses how you have to construct and secure one at sea.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm officially a nerd, I have a congrats message above this reply for hitting 5,000 posts....:doh!:

My point still stands. The dems aren't proposing anything, aren't giving any new ideas, and aren't showing any interest in lowering gas prices. Kick and flail around all you want, you've not yet challenged my observation.

The only ideas I can recall are windfall taxes (higher prices), no drilling (no change in prices), future technologies (does nothing today), stimulus check paid by oil companies tax (higher prices).....what else am I missing?

It's okay if the democrats don't want to lower prices, it's a dumb political play, but it's okay if that's what they want.

How about post 18, which you directly replied to in post 20 :shrug: Or the fact that I've pointed out numerous times that these companies are already sitting on land that is drillable, rich in oil, and easier to obtain crude from--but they still aren't doing it. The Democrats haven't put a nationwide moratorium on all drilling on land. There's no explanation for the oil companies lack of drilling there other than the fact that they don't want to drill more right now, even though they have a plethora of opportunities to do so.

SBK
08-04-2008, 04:38 AM
I forgot to add that it's been suggested that you should fill your tires, tune up your engines.

So I was wrong, the democrats have made 1 suggestion in how we can lower gas prices today.

acesn8s
08-04-2008, 04:42 AM
How about post 18, which you directly replied to in post 20 :shrug: Or the fact that I've pointed out numerous times that these companies are already sitting on land that is drillable, rich in oil, and easier to obtain crude from--but they still aren't doing it. The Democrats haven't put a nationwide moratorium on all drilling on land. There's no explanation for the oil companies lack of drilling there other than the fact that they don't want to drill more right now, even though they have a plethora of opportunities to do so.
So what are the reasons for them not to drill that oil?

Saggysack
08-04-2008, 05:58 AM
It's many many times more expensive to drill offshore than on shore. Think about how an Oil Rig is built on land verses how you have to construct and secure one at sea.

500K per day to drill offshore. Just to drill. If they hit oil it pays off, if they make mud, not so much. I'm really not for sure about drilling on land costs, but I'd guess somewhere around 75K per day. Oh well, in any case, drilling offshore is much more expensive to do.

2bikemike
08-04-2008, 06:20 AM

Well I would say that since the oil companies are such greedy bastards there are probable a couple reasons why they don't

1.) either there is no oil in those 68 million acres

2.) Or it would be as expensive as fug to get it out. Remember how greedy they are.

tiptap
08-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Or They like higher prices

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Well I would say that since the oil companies are such greedy bastards there are probable a couple reasons why they don't

1.) either there is no oil in those 68 million acres

2.) Or it would be as expensive as fug to get it out. Remember how greedy they are.

1) There are 34 billion barrels in those acres

2) They don't have to get it out, because they can make a killing with the prices as they stand.

But oil companies would never do that/Donger.