PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Who would you keep?

luv
08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Alright. I'm joining my first paying FFL. I'm taking over for someone who dropped out. I have to choose two from the following list to keep before the draft. Who would you keep?

Carson Palmer
Clinton Portis
Brian Westbrook
Jerricho Cotchery
Joe Jurevicius
Reggie Williams
Benjamin Watson
Josh Brown
Seahawks
Damon Huard
Vince Young
Marion Barber
Marcel Shipp
Patrick Crayton
Darrell Jackson
Visanthe Shiancoe
Ryan Longwell
Eagles

J Diddy
08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
clinton portis for sure

probably westbrook

Coach
08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Westbrook, Portis and Probably Palmer.

J Diddy
08-03-2008, 05:25 PM

she said she could only pick 2

luv
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I was planning on keeping Portis, but I wasn't for sure who the second one should be.

KcMizzou
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I was planning on keeping Portis, but I wasn't for sure who the second one should be.Westbrook, IMO.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
With that list, it's easy ... Westbrook and Portis

J Diddy
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Westbrook, IMO.

do you have a shot at getting a better qb

if not maybe you should keep palmer

luv
08-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm so nervous. I did an online draft last year. This will be my first time getting together with people to draft.

I am 8 of 12 in the draft order. I guess I should get together a list of my top ten choices for each position to have with me.

Hydrae
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
The only other one I would even consider would be Barber now that Jones has left. But the only reason to even think about him over Westbrook has to do with Westy not being happy with his contract. Don't know how much that may or may not cause issues though.

luv
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
do you have a shot at getting a better qb

if not maybe you should keep palmer

I thought of that. I need to go through the teams and see who everyone has for QB. Most will more than likely keep theirs.

SCTrojan
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Portis and Westbrook are no-brainers to keep.

Hydrae
08-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I thought of that. I need to go through the teams and see who everyone has for QB. Most will more than likely keep theirs.

If that is true then this will be an easy season. :)

Rule of thumb, always keep 2 running backs unless your second best RB stinks. Palmer, Brady and Manning (P) would be the only QBs I would even consider for keepers and probably not even then. And there are very few if any WRs that should be kept at any time.

luv
08-03-2008, 05:36 PM
If that is true then this will be an easy season. :)

Rule of thumb, always keep 2 running backs unless your second best RB stinks. Palmer, Brady and Manning (P) would be the only QBs I would even consider for keepers and probably not even then. And there are very few if any WRs that should be kept at any time.

I see your point. RB and WR are the high point positions, right? However, a bad QB could cost me points if he's apt to throw interceptions.

Is there a Live Fantasy Draft for Dummies book? :)

Coach
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
she said she could only pick 2

I know, but I just threw in Palmer in case if there's a deadlock on her decision on who to keep and such.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd keep Palmer and Westbrook.

Westbrook is the definite keeper. Then you just decide which has a better value and which is easier to replace between Palmer and Portis.

Coach
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd keep Palmer and Westbrook.

Westbrook is the definite keeper. Then you just decide which has a better value and which is easier to replace between Palmer and Portis.

The one I'm be a bit concerned to Portis is that the Redskins are going into a west coast offense, basically not sure if that suits Portis abilities. Then again, it's just hard to get a read of those things. :shrug:

Hydrae
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I see your point. RB and WR are the high point positions, right? However, a bad QB could cost me points if he's apt to throw interceptions.

Is there a Live Fantasy Draft for Dummies book? :)

Yes, a bad QB can certainly cost you but there are a lot of middle of the road types you can get probably around round 3 or 4 (since it is a keeper league). Someone along the lines of Hassleback, Bulger, McNabb, Brees or even Roethlisberger should all be servicable.

Guru
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I was planning on keeping Portis, but I wasn't for sure who the second one should be.

WEstbrook. Hands down.

Hydrae
08-03-2008, 05:43 PM
WEstbrook. Hands down.

Contract situation?
You know he will get hurt and miss time, this is an every year thing.

Guru
08-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Contract situation?

That guy has been carrying my fantasy team for 4 years now. he is a stud even when injured. He is a starter for me until his friggin legs fall off.

Oh, and I have been in the top 4 every year. Finished runner up twice and won the championship.

L.A. Chieffan
08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Damon Huard and Eagles defense for sure.

Bowser
08-03-2008, 05:58 PM
The one I'm be a bit concerned to Portis is that the Redskins are going into a west coast offense, basically not sure if that suits Portis abilities. Then again, it's just hard to get a read of those things. :shrug:

Ladell Betts could be a good pickup in the 5th-6th rounds.

Bowser
08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Damon Huard and Eagles defense for sure.

You should get in on my fantasy league.

J Diddy
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
everybody keeps 2

do you know who everyone else is keeping

Old Dog
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Contract situation?

Wrong.....he missed time in 04 and 05, but look at his numbers over the last two years. He is the clearcut keeper in the players listed. He's running a ADP of 1.3 to 1.5 right now.
The only question is if she should keep Portis or Barber. I would go with Barber over Portis. Felix may steal some carries, but you know that barber will get all of the goal line work in a much better offense.

Old Dog
08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I guess I should get together a list of my top ten choices for each position to have with me.
Top 10? I usually have the top 10 at D/ST and K, 20 at QB and TE, and 50 at RB and WR.

KCChiefsMan
08-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Palmer & Westbrook for sure.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I hate to hijack but I am in the same goddamned predicament.

I'm in a keeper league also - I get to keep one and whichever round I pick that player from, I lose the pick - obviously.

Addai or SJax - both first round picks. Help! Thanks.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Addai or SJax - both first round picks. Help! Thanks.

You really don't know the answer to that one?

Ceej
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think there's actually an answer. I may just flip a coin.

Obviously, it depends on SJax' holdout.

Rausch
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Ditto.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think there's actually an answer. I may just flip a coin.

Obviously, it depends on SJax' holdout.

That's not a coin-flip type decision. It's a pretty clear choice.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
No, not really.

Colts Schedule

Bears, @Vikings, Jax, bye, @Houston, Baltimore, @GB, @TT, NE, @Pitt, Houston, @SD, @Clev, Cincy, Detwa, @Jax, TT

Rams Schedule

@Philly, NYG, @Sea, Buffalo, bye, @Wash, Dallas, @NE, Zona, @NYJ, @SF, Chi, Miami, @Zona, Seattle, SF, @Atl

I don't know how this choice is SO clear cut. Addai has a pretty tough schedule and StL's is nothing to sneeze at.

What bothers me most is the fact that Bulger, Pace and SJax were all hurt majority of the year.

And no, this league is not PPR.

Old Dog
08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
No, really it isn't....maybe in your head it is but on most sites their ADPs' are 1.4 and 1.5.

In fact if you break down Yahoo Sports, CBSSportsline.Com, AskTheCommish.Com, Fox Sports,Football Guys, FantasyFootballXtreme.Com, FFToolBox.Com, SportingNews.Com, About.Com, NFL.Com, and CNNSI.Com
Jackson is 4.67 and Addai is 5.00 that one is FAR from clear cut

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
No, not really.

Colts Schedule

Bears, @Vikings, Jax, bye, @Houston, Baltimore, @GB, @TT, NE, @Pitt, Houston, @SD, @Clev, Cincy, Detwa, @Jax, TT

Rams Schedule

@Philly, NYG, @Sea, Buffalo, bye, @Wash, Dallas, @NE, Zona, @NYJ, @SF, Chi, Miami, @Zona, Seattle, SF, @Atl

I don't know how this choice is SO clear cut. Addai has a pretty tough schedule and StL's is nothing to sneeze at.

What bothers me most is the fact that Bulger, Pace and SJax were all hurt majority of the year.

And no, this league is not PPR.

You can't look at schedule. Injuries happen, teams disappoint, teams surprise but your 1st round picks need to be studs and you should expect your stud to perform despite what team he's playing against.

The Lambs have been on a downspin for a few years and you just answered your own question with regards to their constant injury problems.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
You can't look at schedule. Injuries happen, teams disappoint, teams surprise but your 1st round picks need to be studs and you should expect your stud to perform despite what team he's playing against.

The Lambs have been on a downspin for a few years and you just answered your own question with regards to their constant injury problems.

You can't look at the schedule? WTF, why not?

Another thing is StL's is primarily going to run their offense through SJax this year with Saunders. He'll have plenty of rushing yards and his recieving yards will be solid also. I really don't know why you think this choice is so clear cut. Maybe that's why I've finished out of the playoffs the last two years. :)

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Many idiots play FF so I could care less about ADP. I go with what I think will happen combined with past performance. I'm a big numbers guy and SJax had one monster year in 2006 and a good year in 2005. Last year he was hurt but still didn't do great when healthy. He wont get near the redzone opportunities that Addai will have and wont get the ball as a receiver nearly as much as Addai. I know in 2006 he had 90 receptions and 800+ yards but that looks more like a fluke than the norm. The Lambs as a team are inferior to the Colts and I don't see them getting as many scoring opportunities.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:52 PM
You can't look at the schedule? WTF, why not?

Another thing is StL's is primarily going to run their offense through SJax this year with Saunders. He'll have plenty of rushing yards and his recieving yards will be solid also. I really don't know why you think this choice is so clear cut. Maybe that's why I've finished out of the playoffs the last two years. :)

You can look at schedule for later picks but your #1 selection should be a horse that you can count on to perform every single week no matter who he's playing against.

Maybe. I've been playing FF for 12 years now and generally do very well.

Old Dog
08-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I just disagree that it's a clear cut decision as you seem to believe. I guess maybe for you it is, but not for most. In fact I would take Jackson over Addai.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I just disagree that it's a clear cut decision as you seem to believe. I guess maybe for you it is, but not for most. In fact I would take Jackson over Addai.

That's fine. You're allowed to have a different opinion. Still, I think it's an easy decision and I also think I'm right. ;)

Old Dog
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
fair enough. I wish you all luck in your leagues this year.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Lets take a looksy at some staskys.

In 2007 Joseph Addai had 261 carries for 1072 yards for 12 TDs. He had 41 receptions for 364 yards and 3 TDs.

In 2007 (4 games less than Addai) SJax had 237 carries for 1002 yards for 5 TDs. He had 38 receptions for 271 yards and 1 TD.

Obviously, the TD ratio is a bit alarming. SJax' missing games were against Dallas, Zona, Baltimore and Seattle. Our league is 4pts a TD.

But, to me it's not clear cut. We've mentioned the injury issues considering the StL offense, but they've made it very apparent they want their O to run through SJax. Maybe I should be asking this question the day before my draft or so.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Lets take a looksy at some staskys.

In 2007 Joseph Addai had 261 carries for 1072 yards for 12 TDs. He had 41 receptions for 364 yards and 3 TDs.

In 2007 (4 games less than Addai) SJax had 237 carries for 1002 yards for 5 TDs. He had 38 receptions for 271 yards and 1 TD.

Obviously, the TD ratio is a bit alarming. SJax' missing games were against Dallas, Zona, Baltimore and Seattle. Our league is 4pts a TD.

But, to me it's not clear cut. We've mentioned the injury issues considering the StL offense, but they've made it very apparent they want their O to run through SJax. Maybe I should be asking this question the day before my draft or so.

You have to look deeper into the stats. Addai got limited playing time towards the end of the season to recover from nagging injuries and to rest for the playoffs. Over the last 4 games he averaged less than 10 carries per game and during the last 2 games he only carried the ball a total of 10 times.

JBucc
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Westbrook is a must keep. For the other I'd go with Palmer.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
And for the record Mr DaKCMan - I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just saying I'm a n00b FF player who is optimistic when it comes to SJax' possible performance this year - if healthy.

Ceej
08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
You have to look deeper into the stats. Addai got limited playing time towards the end of the season to recover from nagging injuries and to rest for the playoffs. Over the last 4 games he averaged less than 10 carries per game and during the last 2 games he only carried the ball a total of 10 times.

Isn't that the same thing we've mentioned about SJax?

That's it! I'm keeping Rofflesberger in the 4th. Sold.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM
And for the record Mr DaKCMan - I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just saying I'm a n00b FF player who is optimistic when it comes to SJax' possible performance this year - if healthy.

That's fine. Everyone has players they are "high" on. SJax doesn't excite me much. I'd probably rate him somewhere between 6th and 8th among rbs.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Isn't that the same thing we've mentioned about SJax?

That's it! I'm keeping Rofflesberger in the 4th. Sold.

The difference being that Addai played through it and still performed while SJax was out for 4 weeks. SJax also has the players around him that directly affect his production (Bulger, Pace) with injury histories much more worrisome than the colts players.

Mecca
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I need to know what kind of scoring your league does...and if it favors QB's or not. In most leagues the gap between the best QB to the 3rd QB to the 10th QB in points a week isn't all that much.

And usually RB's is where you win especially with TD's.....

If I were you with the roles, I'd keep Westbrook and Barber unless it's a heavy QB scoring league.

Barber will take over as the primary starter this year and see all goal line carries and see the heavier load than Felix Jones on a damn good offensive team.

Just remember you win with RB's not QB's, the only people that should be using keepers on QB's are the guys with Manning and Brady unless they have nothing anywhere else.

luv
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
everybody keeps 2

do you know who everyone else is keeping

By looking at who everyone had last year, you can pretty much tell who might keep whom.

Looks like I will need to make longer lists. There are 12 teams, and everyone picks 3 QBs, 4 RBs, 5 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 Ks, and 2 DSTs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I need to know what kind of scoring your league does...and if it favors QB's or not. In most leagues the gap between the best QB to the 3rd QB to the 10th QB in points a week isn't all that much.

And usually RB's is where you win especially with TD's.....

If I were you with the roles, I'd keep Westbrook and Barber unless it's a heavy QB scoring league.

Barber will take over as the primary starter this year and see all goal line carries and see the heavier load than Felix Jones on a damn good offensive team.

Just remember you win with RB's not QB's, the only people that should be using keepers on QB's are the guys with Manning and Brady unless they have nothing anywhere else.

You know Barber will get all the goal line carries. He and Westbrook are a much better combo than Portis--way too inconsistent.

smittysbar
08-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Westbrook and Portis/Barber.

Mecca
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm keeping Barber over Portis every time.

Predarat
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
For Luv
Id keep Westbrook for sure, to me its a tough call between Barber and Portis. Id say Barber but im a little worried about Felix Jones taking his carries. Because of that i'd go with Portis.
For the Hijacker:
In another tough call id take Addai.

Sure-Oz
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Westbrook 1st...

crapshoot between Barber and Palmer

LiL stumppy
08-03-2008, 11:31 PM
westbrook and portis

Shaid
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Westbrook for sure, then palmer or portis depending on who is currently available and where you are picking. I expect palmer will probably rebound his season. You'll probably be able to pick up a 2nd decent runner on your first pick.

JuicesFlowing
08-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Why is Damon Huard even on that list? Just curious.

Mecca
08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
You guys thinking Portis is gonna have a better year than Barber are insane. Portis is at a point where RB's start declining Barber is a beast with fresh legs on a great offensive team...

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Portis is flat out average. There isn't that much of a difference between him and Ladell Betts. It isn't 2003 anymore. He's got 180,000 miles on the odometer.

Valiant
08-04-2008, 04:50 AM
I'm so nervous. I did an online draft last year. This will be my first time getting together with people to draft.

I am 8 of 12 in the draft order. I guess I should get together a list of my top ten choices for each position to have with me.

Well if there are 12 teams I would do top 16-20 at minimum..

SBK
08-04-2008, 05:03 AM
I'd keep Barber, with an eye on Westbrook. If he holds out much longer I'd tend to go with Palmer. Guys who hold out get injured.

luv
08-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Why is Damon Huard even on that list? Just curious.

Hell if I know. I inherited this team from a guy who's not doing it this year.

luv
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd keep Barber, with an eye on Westbrook. If he holds out much longer I'd tend to go with Palmer. Guys who hold out get injured.

Barber ended up with the Cowboys. Looks like he's starting. I'm thinking him and Eastbrook. Not counting Palmer out yet, though.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Barber ended up with the Cowboys. Looks like he's starting. I'm thinking him and Eastbrook. Not counting Palmer out yet, though.

Is Eastbrook Westbrook's brother?

luv
08-23-2008, 12:28 AM
I kept Palmer and Barber. Not sure why I didn't keep Westbrook over Barber. Just a gut feeling. The draft is Sunday morning. I'll be spending the day tomorrow getting my lists put together. I'm excited and nervous.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-23-2008, 06:45 AM
I kept Palmer and Barber. Not sure why I didn't keep Westbrook over Barber. Just a gut feeling. The draft is Sunday morning. I'll be spending the day tomorrow getting my lists put together. I'm excited and nervous.

LOL @ keeping Palmer over Westbrook

Dumb move

boogblaster
08-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Westbrook & Palmer ...

Mr. Laz
08-23-2008, 02:59 PM

they aren't bad keeps ... but many people are going to overlook Marion Barber.

Sometimes it's about predicting who others will pick as much as it is the quality of the player.

imo i would of gone Portis,Westbrook and then you probably could of gotten a top 5 QB or even Barber with your 1st draft pick.

Portis,Westbrook,Barber after the 1st round would of been pretty sweet

Portis,Westbrook,P Manning would of worked too

of course it depends on how many RB's you can start and whether or not you have a swing position like WR/RB

good luck

DaKCMan AP
08-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Sometimes it's about predicting who others will pick as much as it is the quality of the player.

imo i would of gone Portis,Westbrook and then you probably could of gotten a top 5 QB or even Barber with your 1st draft pick.

of course it depends on how many RB's you can start and whether or not you have a swing position like WR/RB

good luck

Contrary, I think people are overhyping Barber this season. I think he'll be very good, but I think he'll be picked higher than his actual value. Still, I probably would have kept Westbrook and Portis/Barber.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Contrary, I think people are overhyping Barber this season. I think he'll be very good, but I think he'll be picked higher than his actual value. Still, I probably would have kept Westbrook and Portis/Barber.
exactly .... there a tons of "genious" football people like you who will overlook Barber. :p

luv
08-23-2008, 03:35 PM

good luck

Top five QB's got kept. That's why I decided to go ahead and keep Palmer.