PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain not setting up any offices in Indiana

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Peculiar move.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080713/NEWS05/807130367/1008/LOCAL19

The election is four months away, but for now the score in Indiana is Barack Obama, 6; John McCain, 0.

Zero campaign offices, that is.

Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, has opened five campaign offices -- in Evansville, Fishers, Fort Wayne, Muncie and South Bend -- and will open a sixth in Bloomington on Monday.

Jonathan Swain, a spokesman for Obama's campaign in Indiana, said plans are to have 25 to 30 campaign offices in the state.

It's part of a push by Obama to become the first Democratic presidential candidate to win Indiana's electoral votes since Lyndon Johnson did so in 1964.

In addition to the offices, Obama has run campaign ads in Indiana -- one of 18 targeted states in which he has done so -- and has brought in staff to run the campaign here.

McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, is taking a different approach to Indiana.

Some might call it confident; some might call it laid-back at best.

Asked whether the campaign has any plans to open an office in Indiana, campaign spokeswoman Leah Yoon -- who is based in Michigan, not Indiana -- had a one-word answer: "No."

Jay Kenworthy, spokesman for the Indiana Republican Party, however, said that while there is no office, there is a new phone number at the state party headquarters for people wanting to contact McCain's campaign: (317) 964-5042. (As far as we can tell, that doesn't spell anything cute, or even his name.)

In addition to opening the offices in Indiana, Obama's campaign is trying to send a signal of unity.

Among those Democratic leaders participating in the ribbon-cuttings was former Indiana Democratic Party Chairman Joe Hogsett, who had been a key supporter of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's.

Hogsett was at the office openings in Muncie and Fishers, a town that is considered a GOP stronghold.

Swain -- who also worked on Clinton's campaign before Obama clinched the nomination -- said the image of unity is real.

"The primary was the primary," he said. "Now we've got a candidate, and we're behind him."

HolmeZz
08-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't see Obama winning Indiana. At the very least it won't be a tipping point state IMO. If McCain wins, he's held his ground. If Obama wins Indiana, he probably would've won the election in a landslide anyway.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't see Obama winning Indiana. At the very least it won't be a tipping point state IMO. If McCain wins, he's held his ground. If Obama wins Indiana, he probably would've won the election in a landslide anyway.

I would think that the possibility of Bayh as VP, his slim lead in the polls there, combined with the fact that he has no foot soldiers wouldn't mean that this state is a tipping point as much as it is proof that he has no organization other than talking shit about Obama.

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
He's broke, *****. He's broke.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:00 AM
He's broke, *****. He's broke.

Obama could do the same thing in California and New York.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Obama could do the same thing in California and New York.

McCain doesn't have a twenty point lead in Indiana

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:05 AM
McCain doesn't have a twenty point lead in Indiana

My point is that Indiana has been a red state forever, in the same way California and New York are.

Ultra Peanut
08-04-2008, 03:11 AM
My point is that Indiana has been a red state forever, in the same way California and New York are.Let's hope the McCain campaign shares your philosophy, be it out of necessity or arrogance.

I mean, I can see why, with so many swing states being absolutely VITAL to his chances, Indiana wouldn't get the lion's share of attention. But to ignore a state entirely? That can come back to bite you in the ass.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:23 AM
I mean, I can see why, with so many swing states being absolutely VITAL to his chances, Indiana wouldn't get the lion's share of attention. But to ignore a state entirely? That can come back to bite you in the ass.

I agree. I would think Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming type states might make more sense, places where virtually every single county is red. Who knows if he's broke or not, either a very smart move, or a very dumb one.

recxjake
08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
The myth is that Obama is setting up offices all across the country.... the truth is that these offices are just local Dem HQ's... that local central committees set these up every year. A friend on mine went to an office opening in Missouri, and he said two 18 year old were the only things there! Obama is probably giving a few hundred bucks to each office to call it an Obama office. It makes good press... but its nothing new. Every Republican HQ will have McCain lit/Bumperstickers and yard signs... they will just be called Republican HQ... Not a McCain HQ.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
McCain can still set-up offices in October....and still win Indiana.

The Dems won't win Indiana, any more than the Reps will win Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin, right Hamas?

It just ain't gonna happen. ;)

alnorth
09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Just because Obama made an extremely stupid mistake by squandering vast amounts of his resources into his soon-to-possibly-be-infamous 50-state strategy that could have been better spent fighting McCain in states that are in play, doesnt mean McCain should join him.

Mr. Kotter
09-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Just because Obama made an extremely stupid mistake by squandering vast amounts of his resources into his soon-to-possibly-be-infamous 50-state strategy that could have been better spent fighting McCain in states that are in play, doesnt mean McCain should join him.

Yup. Given Obama's "emerging/evolving" strategy, it appears that someone in his campaign....has wised-up on, at least, this point.

alnorth
09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
The myth is that Obama is setting up offices all across the country.... the truth is that these offices are just local Dem HQ's... that local central committees set these up every year. A friend on mine went to an office opening in Missouri, and he said two 18 year old were the only things there! Obama is probably giving a few hundred bucks to each office to call it an Obama office. It makes good press... but its nothing new. Every Republican HQ will have McCain lit/Bumperstickers and yard signs... they will just be called Republican HQ... Not a McCain HQ.

Well, its not the HQ's I'm amused by. They are likely staffed by volunteers anyway.

The brilliant savior of humanity, in his wisdom, has spent a lot of ad money in "swing states" such as Georgia, North Dakota, Montana, and Alaska.

(Alaska!?!? Are you effing kidding me? gee, I guess if it werent for Sarah, he'd still possibly be in the running for those electoral votes!)

I can only assume that back when he had money pouring out his butt, he decided he will ultimately have more resources than he possibly could ever need to ace the election, so what the hell. Maybe some downticket races would benefit! Now that his fundraising has dried up a bit, McCain's going nuts, and his now-questionable decision to forgo matching funds is looming large, he probably wishes he had those advertising dollars. (McCain gets a huge check from the government. Obama has to take time off to go to blue states and raise money)

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Well, its not the HQ's I'm amused by. They are likely staffed by volunteers anyway.

The brilliant savior of humanity, in his wisdom, has spent a lot of ad money in "swing states" such as Georgia, North Dakota, Montana, and Alaska. I didn't peg you for an idiot.

My bad.

(McCain gets a huge check from the government. Obama has to take time off to go to blue states and raise money)B-b-b-b-but Obama PWOOOOMISED HE'D TAKE A HUGE CHECK FROM THE GOVEWNMENT TOO! OBAMA IS A MEAAANIE!

alnorth
09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I didn't peg you for an idiot.

My bad.

You are aware that Obama, in a fit of either arrogance or political stupidity, spent millions of dollars in states he had no shot to win, right? You are also aware that he has finally admitted to this mistake by halting those ads a few days before his convention? I'm not making this crap up, he really did throw at least $15 million (possibly more) in the crapper in the last 3 months without moving his poll numbers in those states.

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I didn't peg you for an idiot.

My bad.

B-b-b-b-but Obama PWOOOOMISED HE'D TAKE A HUGE CHECK FROM THE GOVEWNMENT TOO! OBAMA IS A MEAAANIE!

So, we are suppose to engage in self-flagellation because Barrack....has, it would appear, made it tougher on himself....because he's has to raise his OWN money, instead of taking it from the Government. Like, after all, he originally was adamant that he would do.

(Of course, he probably was expecting a 5-10 points lead at this point....instead of the present polling, so one can understand his dismay, I suppose.)

Too bad he listened to his arrogant and dickheaded advisors. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah, the man's a complete dumbass. He and his advisors, who by the way are arrogant dickheads, only dismantled one of the two biggest political machines in decades, and he's only leading in enough states to win the election even as his opponent's cheap pop and convention bounce are ongoing.

GEEEEEEEZE

Mr. Kotter
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, the man's a complete dumbass. He and his advisors, who by the way are arrogant dickheads, only dismantled one of the two biggest political machines in decades, and he's only leading in enough states to win the election even as his opponent's cheap pop and convention bounce are ongoing.

GEEEEEEEZE

Obama's accomplishment is, indeed, impressive. However, it's less than awe-inspiring to someone who, two or three years ago (you do the archives search) predicted Hillary had NO real chance to be President, and I hoped the Dems would wake up to that fact. And they did, sort of.

Keep your eyes on the polling UP; I hope your optimism is justified. I really do.

This is one election I'd LIKE to be wrong about, in terms of my take of Democratic ineptitude in seeking and securing the Presidency. However, as each day passes....I'm getting the sinking feeling of: "oh shit, it's happening AGAIN!"

The only consolation is this time, at least, they put up a candidate who could win; too bad losing seems to have become WAY too ingrained in the culture of the party....and Obama may have to pay that price.

:shake:

Ultra Peanut
09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Keep your eyes on the polling UP; I hope your optimism is justified. I really do. That's what's bolstering my confidence.

McCain's bounce has moved two things in battleground states: jack and shit.

Direckshun
09-11-2008, 12:43 AM
McCain's fundraising, thanks to Palin, has finally caught up with Obama's.

However, Obama's been raising this money for a long time, and has an extensive grassroots organization established across the country. This national intermingling web takes time to set up; McCain simply doesn't have the time to do that, certainly not on par with what Obama has established.

alnorth
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
That's what's bolstering my confidence.

McCain's bounce has moved two things in battleground states: jack and shit.

I do admit that if the election were today, Obama could repay the GOP by repeating the unusual trick of losing the popular vote but not the electoral college. However, dont act as if he isnt teetering on the brink of oblivion here. PA and WI are closer than I thought possible (but I dont honestly believe we'll win those states if it stays close), but Michigan has become very losable now.

If Obama did lose Michigan, he'd have to run the table.

alnorth
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
McCain's fundraising, thanks to Palin, has finally caught up with Obama's.

However, Obama's been raising this money for a long time, and has an extensive grassroots organization established across the country. This national intermingling web takes time to set up; McCain simply doesn't have the time to do that, certainly not on par with what Obama has established.

The problem is that Obama's money has been flying out faster than it has come in, and in recent days it has slowed. Obama's cash on hand really isnt that much.