PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz answers questions (pretty good stuff)

Coogs
08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
And I know some of you will bash this just because it is Gretz, but here it is anyway...

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/answer-bobact-one.html#more-566

And there is one particular question/answer that I found interesting, especially since the quality of our MLB play has been questioned quite a bit this training camp. Here is that Q&A...

RYAN says:

Bob, Are the Chiefs happy with Bernard Pollard? Is DaJuan Morgan a potential FS or SS? Thanks!

The Chiefs are happy with Pollard and Morgan can play either position. They are going to find ways to get Morgan on the field. How about a first-down nickel defense, with three safeties and either Pollard or Morgan playing in the box? All sorts of possibilities exist because Morgan is a such a playmaker.

Would this defense be better with a safety in effect playing MLB in a 4-2-5 set than having a crappy MLB in a 4-3-4 set? Claythan was reporting the Chiefs have used this set near the goal line a few times.

And could this even become a 4-1-6 if they decicded to get Carr on the field as well with Surtain and Carr on the edges and Flowers on a slot receiver? If those guys can cover ground and tackle like has been reported that may be better than a crappy MLB and an old Edwards. Yes? or No?

Rausch
08-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Pure specualation based on talent and what COULD happen.

But the idea of creating some Pats/Steelers/Eagles type confusion every now and again would be nice...

RibKing67
08-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I think it only has a chance of working IF we have solid run defense from the front 4 otherwise I line up on offense and run it all day. Without LB support that is a good 5 ypc.

Coogs
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I think it only has a chance of working IF we have solid run defense from the front 4 otherwise I line up on offense and run it all day. Without LB support that is a good 5 ypc.

But if you are matching up man-on man on the receivers with Carr, Flowers, and Surtain and leaving say Page deep to help over the top, DJ, Pollard, and Morgan to come up and make the tackles and/or cover a TE might make some sense. At least we may have our best athletes all on the field.

RibKing67
08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Situation defense yes I think it can work, not a base D.

Rausch
08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
But if you are matching up man-on man on the receivers with Carr, Flowers, and Surtain and leaving say Page deep to help over the top, DJ, Pollard, and Morgan to come up and make the tackles and/or cover a TE might make some sense. At least we may have our best athletes all on the field.

Once or twice a game, sure.

Try it...

Deberg_1990
08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I dont trust Gun to come up with anything innovative.

the Talking Can
08-04-2008, 09:19 AM
in gretz's morning post there is a link to a good article (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080803/NEWS/312360076/1027/EDITORIAL&title=Former_Tide_QB_handed_the_reigns_to_Chiefs__offense) from Alabama on Croyle...

First, coach Herm Edwards brought in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who implemented a system similar to what Croyle ran at Alabama. Two big advantages to the quarterback are that it features a number of quick-release throws, and Croyle can be flexible and audible something the Chiefs almost never did last year.

It has a lot of the same things, Croyle said. (Coach Mike) Shula was with Chan in Miami, so we have a lot of the same concepts, so Im very comfortable with it. Im comfortable with the concepts as opposed to the past offense. It was the same terminology as what we ran but its not the same offense.

We have keys, and if we see them, chances are we might still have the same play on, but we might change the decoration. Or we might change it from one run to another run. We have like four different ways to check it. Its about getting in a better play, opposed to be kind of hard-headed and saying, That plays going to work and were going to run it no matter what. Its all about being cat-and-mouse with the defense.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
in gretz's morning post there is a link to a good article (http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080803/NEWS/312360076/1027/EDITORIAL&title=Former_Tide_QB_handed_the_reigns_to_Chiefs__offense) from Alabama on Croyle...

Awesome, no more beating thier heads against a wall trying to run into the tooth of the defense. Now it is up to Brodie to make the right reads. Should be interesting. I just wonder if Herm will still let this go on if Brodie chucks a couple picks after audibling out of run plays.

J Diddy
08-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I dont trust Gun to come up with anything innovative.
you don't fear the dreaded falcon

the Talking Can
08-05-2008, 06:17 AM
more (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/answer-bobact-two.html#more-639)

# 3. The surprise breakout player may not be a big surprise but I think fifth-round choice Brandon Carr is going to shock some people with how well he plays the corner.

# 4. The guy who wont make the final 53 that will surprise most people will be Napoleon Harris. A starter last year, hes having a tough time getting snaps in practice now as hes playing with the second and third units.

Count Zarth
08-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Nap isn't doing well, but I don't know why he'd be cut. Gotta have a backup.

Dartgod
08-05-2008, 06:57 AM
But the idea of creating some Pats/Steelers/Eagles type confusion every now and again would be nice...
I think the goal is to confuse the opposition, not our own players. :doh!:

Chiefnj2
08-05-2008, 07:14 AM
I have to say that Gretz is doing a good job with his blog. I'm glad the Chiefs finally have a semi fan friendly reporter who will answer questions and give out some inside info.

gblowfish
08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
This guy is still on the Carl Peterson dole. Just remember that when you read anything this guy puts out there.

Dartgod
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
This guy is still on the Carl Peterson pole. Just remember that when you read anything this guy puts out there.
Fixed it...

markk
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
I have to say that Gretz is doing a good job with his blog. I'm glad the Chiefs finally have a semi fan friendly reporter who will answer questions and give out some inside info.

I agree, I was not a big fan of his work on the Chiefs' website but his blog is good and informative and he answers questions from real people. He knows what's going on. It's good stuff.

Direckshun
08-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Q. You are sitting opposite Jason Whitlock. Between you is one last Zarda’s rib. Who gets it?

A. I would never reach for the last rib with Whitlock in the same room. That’s a sure fire way to lose a limb.
LMAO

NFL16
08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
This is a scenario where Boone actually might be able to play D-end. So we put our two best run stoppers (Dorsey and Tyler or Edwards?) in the middle.

J Diddy
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
AL DAVIS says:
Bob, How will these KC fans feel when the Chiefs are 0-2 going to Atlanta? How will these KC fans feel when the Chiefs are 0-12 going to Denver on Pearl Harbor day?

They will probably feel the same way the Raiders fans will feel after they leave Arrowhead 0-2 on the season. I love a little give-and-take between fans, but how could a Raiders fan talk any trash after the way his team has played the last few years.
<!-- You can start editing here. -->

this and the whitlock one are definitely my favs

I think ol gretzy is doing a good job