PDA

View Full Version : General Politics CNN asks: Should Obama Consider Clinton as V.P.?

Carlota69
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

When it comes to Hillary Clinton – not so fast.

Some Democrats are worried that Barack Obama isn’t farther ahead in the polls at this point, especially when you consider the unpopularity of President Bush, the often unfocused campaign being run by John McCain and Obama’s successful trip overseas. Suddenly some are wondering whether Obama should reconsider putting Clinton on the ticket.

CNN Senior Political Analyst David Gergen points out that the major tests for a V.P. pick are whether the person is qualified to be president, and if that person will give you a better chance of winning. Clinton predicted during the primaries that the Republican attack machine would be in full bloom against Obama. One columnist wrote – reacting to some of McCain’s recent ads – “The swift boats have sailed,” a reference to the Republican smear campaign that destroyed John Kerry’s chances. Gergen suggests there’s no one better than Hillary and Bill Clinton to fight off such attacks.

Clinton supporter Lanny Davis points to a recent poll that shows Obama holding a 1-point lead over McCain, but when voters were asked to choose between Obama-Clinton versus McCain and Mitt Romney the Democrats’ lead then jumps to 9 points. This strongly suggests that even though Clinton might drive away some voters, she has the potential to bring in even more. Davis suggests Obama could not lose with Clinton on the ticket, as she would shore up key voting blocks.

Meanwhile, there are indications from some former Clinton supporters – particularly those in the women’s movement – that if Obama picks anyone but Clinton, the divisions from the primary season just might not heal. They are adamant that Obama can’t assume Clinton’s supporters will back him regardless of whom he picks as V.P.

Here’s my question to you: Should Barack Obama be seriously considering Hillary Clinton for V.P.?

I personally think if he doesnt pick her, and it seems as if he wont, he better not a pick another woman. I think that would really piss off the "Bitter chick" vote. It would almost insult them, IMO.

markk
08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't be taking any strolls through Ft. Marcy Park if he does...

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I know patteeu is going to like this but I have flip-flopped on this. I would definitely support a Obama/Clinton ticket and IMO Obama is going to win but if he picks Hillary they would win by 10-15 pts without Hillary it is going to be much closer IMHO.

markk
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I know patteeu is going to like this but I have flip-flopped on this. I would definitely support a Obama/Clinton ticket and IMO Obama is going to win but if he picks Hillary they would win by 10-15 pts without Hillary it is going to be much closer IMHO.

i think you would support obama and no matter what he says or does between now and then, so i dont think anyone is surprised.

not to sound like i am baiting. just an observation.

Carlota69
08-04-2008, 03:36 PM

It is interesting that McCain is this close in the polls. The article makes a point, Obama should be killin' right now, and he isn't. And granted, polls area tad worthless right now, but still, he should be handing Mccain his ass.

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
i think you would support obama and no matter what he says or does between now and then, so i dont think anyone is surprised.

not to sound like i am baiting. just an observation.

I have been an Obama supporter since Day one but I have my limits. Like if he killed someone, raped someone, was found out to be a child molester, or a thief or something along those lines.

Believe it or not I try to be fair even for an Obamabot. :)

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
It is interesting that McCain is this close in the polls. The article makes a point, Obama should be killin' right now, and he isn't. And granted, polls area tad worthless right now, but still, he should be handing Mccain his ass.

Thinking more about this I know alot of Obama people would definitely be turned off if he picked Clinton.

Now that I think about it this is a tough choice but I would go with Hillary over Evan Bayh any day of the week.

My first choice is Biden and was Webb.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
People make way too big a deal about VP's. Obama isn't going to pick anyone that's going to change people's mind about him.

Stewie
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
People make way too big a deal about VP's. Obama isn't going to pick anyone that's going to change people's mind about him.

So true. He'll pick someone very innocuous with no dirt to drag into the campaign.

Carlota69
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM

True dat, but...picking Clinton may get the "bitter chick" vote back. At least thats what they are implying in the article, hence the one-point lead with out Clinton vs the 9 point lead with her.

Nightfyre
08-04-2008, 03:48 PM
So true. He'll pick someone very innocuous with no dirt to drag into the campaign.
I dunno, if either of them picked a really strong libertarian VP, I might be convinced enough to actually vote.

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM

I disagree to the extent that picking Clinton would be a HUGE boost to him. It would probably make the lead almost insurmountable.

markk
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I have been an Obama supporter since Day one but I have my limits. Like if he killed someone, raped someone, was found out to be a child molester, or a thief or something along those lines.

Believe it or not I try to be fair even for an Obamabot. :)

oh, well, it's good to know there are reasonable limits to your loyalty... :eek:

Carlota69
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I disagree to the extent that picking Clinton would be a HUGE boost to him. It would probably make the lead almost insurmountable.

I might have to agree with you. Obama should be kicking Mccains ass, and he isnt. So far none of the potential VP's seem to get the positive attention of the women who are clearly pissed right now. None of these possibilties seem to boost Obamas chances. I didnt use to think he needed Clinton, but I'm really beginning to wonder.

SBK
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Because Clinton is so loved? He ain't picking her, she'd upstage him and he couldn't have that.

memyselfI
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I would hope if he should ask she would tell him to go fugg himself.

I will be so disappointed if she bails him out. He is going to lose so she should not put her political career on the line by playing second fiddle to that empty suit.

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
oh, well, it's good to know there are reasonable limits to your loyalty... :eek:

There are more like if there was a pic of Obama cheering one of Rev Wright's Anti-American speeches that would lose my vote.

I am not going to switch my vote easily just like you are not going to switch yours even if McCain is caught lying or cheating or stealing.

dirk digler
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I might have to agree with you. Obama should be kicking Mccains ass, and he isnt. So far none of the potential VP's seem to get the positive attention of the women who are clearly pissed right now. None of these possibilties seem to boost Obamas chances. I didnt use to think he needed Clinton, but I'm really beginning to wonder.

Yep though if would have have picked Webb or even Biden that would help. Evan Bayh does nothing for me even though he was a huge Clinton supporter.

Because Clinton is so loved? He ain't picking her, she'd upstage him and he couldn't have that.

It would move the woman vote clearly in his favor and all the holdouts would gleefully come over. It would be the "dream ticket" but you are right I doubt it happens.

BucEyedPea
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
No.

HonestChieffan
08-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Her negatives would drive the anti clinton voters to the polls a day early and sleep outside to vote against that ticket

Carlota69
08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Her negatives would drive the anti clinton voters to the polls a day early and sleep outside to vote against that ticket

Well, for one they are wondering if she brings more out to vote for the ticket than against it, as said in the article. Plus, it seems that they are going to do that anyways, if she's on the ticket or not. So whats the diff?

Flustrated
08-04-2008, 10:05 PM

I think Jim Webb would change some minds especially for those that worry about Obama's lack of military experience. Webb also has has a strong following of white males.

alanm
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
That ain't no shit.

BucEyedPea
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I think Jim Webb would change some minds especially for those that worry about Obama's lack of military experience. Webb also has has a strong following of white males.

Yep! I agree.

Programmer
08-04-2008, 11:01 PM

Obama is not doing well right now because he is showing his true self and people are getting disillusioned.

When the DNC has it's convention he will surge ahead or at least close the gap.

The larger issue is that the RNC will have it's convention after the DNC and McCain will then make up the loss after the DNC's day.

If Obama picks hillary I think he should be as worried as markk said. The Clinton's don't like being in 2nd place.