PDA

View Full Version : Football Goodell considers 18 game regular season

rrl308
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
There was much debate when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell threw out the idea of a 17-game NFL schedule. Well, while attending Bengals camp this weekend, Goodell threw out the idea again...with a new twist: "I've been quite clear publicly and with our membership that I think the quality of the preseason is not up to NFL standards, and that we should address that," Goodell said. "So we're actively evaluating and considering whether we should modify that ratio and make it 17 and 3 as one example where there's an additional regular-season rather than the preseason game. We swap it out (with) the same number of games. I think it's a better reflection on the quality of our game. I wouldn't rule out 18-2."

Source: NFL Fanhouse

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
18-2 wouldn't be bad, but 17-3 just means more international games that have no place in the regular season.

Valiant
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
As long as they rewrite the records books and start clean from different era's of the league..

Hell even go retroactive and separate all the 14 game records from the 16 game ones...

BWillie
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
That is alot of games for these guys. Usually by week 16 they are all sitting in the tank after every game. It's a physical game. I say no, but then again they make millions of dollars to play the game..

Mecca
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
The players would get more money because they don't get paid for preseason games but do for regular season ones...

chiefqueen
08-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh Boy.........I what I always wanted.........Sunday afternoon home games in Aug. (/sarcasm)

Bowser
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The players would get more money because they don't get paid for preseason games but do for regular season ones...

Would they get more money, or would their paychecks just show up a week earlier?

FAX
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmmm. This sounds like a typical NFL money grab. The players' union will probably have a cow or two.

The game takes an enormous toll on the participants. I'm not sure, but the quality of the game might well diminish if this happens. Besides, 16 losses a year is plenty for me.

FAX

thurman merman
08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
preseason is lame. i'm totally for this.

J Diddy
08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hmmm. This sounds like a typical NFL money grab. The players' union will probably have a cow or two.

The game takes an enormous toll on the participants. I'm not sure, but the quality of the game might well diminish if this happens. Besides, 16 losses a year is plenty for me.

FAXfit another bye in

KurtCobain
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
25 games, three byes. 1 preseason game.

JuicesFlowing
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
17-3 would make the NFL the only professional sports league with an odd number of season games ...?

the Talking Can
08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
18 games is going to shorten a lot of careers....can't say i'd be thrilled as a player....

the Talking Can
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
they need to just cut preseason and leave the rest alone.....but that isn't sufficiently greedy...

JimNasium
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Jesus, the guy wants to turn this into the NHL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Goodell is slowly turning into David Stern, only if Stern was incompetent.

chief52
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
18 games is going to shorten a lot of careers....can't say i'd be thrilled as a player....

16 is too many for the players' health. Increasing it would be crazy, but it would make money. We all know that every decision the owners make is based totally on how much $$$$$ it will make. There is no other factor. Players, fans, the game are all of no value. They are a necessary evil to making millions.

OnTheWarpath58
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Let's see.

Currently: 16 regular season games + 4 preseason games = 20 games. Get paid for 16.

Proposal: 18 regular season games + 2 preseason games =20 games. Get paid for 18.

Why are people concerned about the length of the season and the beating the players will take? Same number of games - yet the players will get two extra paychecks.

Don't see the problem here...

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Let's see.

Currently: 16 regular season games + 4 preseason games = 20 games. Get paid for 16.

Proposal: 18 regular season games + 2 preseason games =20 games. Get paid for 18.

Why are people concerned about the length of the season and the beating the players will take? Same number of games - yet the players will get two extra paychecks.

Don't see the problem here...

Because star players don't play as hard in the preseason to minimize injury risk and they probably play a cumulative total of 1 game in the entire PS as is.

StcChief
08-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Add one Conf game and another bye.

OnTheWarpath58
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Because star players don't play as hard in the preseason to minimize injury risk and they probably play a cumulative total of 1 game in the entire PS as is.

So, by that theory, they'd be adding one game to their workload.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. The preseason is meaningless. Owners aren't going to allow the total number of games to be cut, so this is really the only decent option to fix the system, IMO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
So, by that theory, they'd be adding one game to their workload.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. The preseason is meaningless. Owners aren't going to allow the total number of games to be cut, so this is really the only decent option to fix the system, IMO.

But if it's adding workload, it's compounding the problem, not fixing the system, IMO.

The difference is that the one game is spread out over 4 weeks. Eighteen weeks with one bye is f*cking brutal.

thurman merman
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM

well star players are making millions and millions of dollars. i think they can handle two more games.

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2008, 01:21 AM
The difference is that the one game is spread out over 4 weeks. Eighteen weeks with one bye is f*cking brutal.

Yep, this is a bad idea, and the NFL would be diluting the importance of each game, and its records associated with it.

JuicesFlowing
08-05-2008, 02:01 AM
2 preseason games is less time for player evaluation ...

CoMoChief
08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
More games means bigger contracts.

ElGringo
08-05-2008, 07:56 AM
When I think about adding to the season, I agree with a lot of people saying it would add too much to the players. But then I also realize the league is expanding and adding more teams. So, without expanding the schedule, each team is playing a smaller percentage of the other teams in the league. I don't know that it is necessary to expand the season yet, but it will eventually be necessary. Looking at the long term, this should eventually happen.

BigRedChief
08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
As long as they rewrite the records books and start clean from different era's of the league..

Hell even go retroactive and separate all the 14 game records from the 16 game ones...
That'll work for me also.

Pre-season is worthless anymore. Over half the time is deciding roster spots for back ups/emergency replacements who will never see the field.

Plus the NFL charges you full price for those games.

BigRedChief
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
But if it's adding workload, it's compounding the problem, not fixing the system, IMO.

You may see the players association ask for 2 bye weeks instead of 1 to make the deal go through.

Frankie
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
That is alot of games for these guys. Usually by week 16 they are all sitting in the tank after every game. It's a physical game. I say no, but then again they make millions of dollars to play the game..

I'm all for the 17-3 or 18-2 idea. But, especially at 18-2, they will have to increase the roster to, say, 60 to save the regulars some wear and tear.

StcChief
08-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm all for the 17-3 or 18-2 idea. But, especially at 18-2, they will have to increase the roster to, say, 60 to save the regulars some wear and tear. either way adding a few players would be good.
Level seems high with PS players etc.

Demonpenz
08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
More football is good

Frankie
08-05-2008, 08:53 AM
More football is good

Maybe it will lead to less baseball or hockey.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Im not for this at all. Never have been.

There are already too many injuries to begin with.

Imagine how beat up the average playoff team will be by the end of December.

BigRedChief
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Im not for this at all. Never have been.

There are already too many injuries to begin with.

Imagine how beat up the average playoff team will be by the end of December.
But its still the same level playing field. Everyone will play the same number of games.

Monty
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Sure, it is, but then why not add a 2nd bye week into the mix to lessen the burden?

18+2+2 bye weeks

Bearcat
08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't like the idea.... do we really need two more games to seperate the good from the mediocre?

The teams with the best records consistently go the the Championship games. The only exception is the NYG last year... besides the Giants, the wild cards that have made it at least matched the record of the division winner.

It's similar to the same old argument with expanding the March Madness tournament... until the lower seeds consistently start winning big games, there's no reason to expand. Until 10-6 teams start winning conference championships every few years, there's really no reason to add games to the regular season. We have a good idea of who will be playing in the final 2 weekends after 12 or 14 weeks, much less 16 or 18.

bogey
08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
To quote a long-time, respected poster, "More football is good."