PDA

View Full Version : Life Losing a dog sucks

Gravedigger
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Well it's one of my girlfriends dogs actually. She was always the sweetest dog who just wanted attention, a cross between and irish setter and a golden retriever. Tonight we went out and took her and two other dogs out to go feed the horses. We always take them out with us unleashed and sometimes they chase bunny rabbits but they usually know not to go near the road. We were getting the horse grain when all of a sudden I came out and walked around the side of the barn to notice one of the dogs running towards a house that was right alongside the road. Well I yelled at them to come back and then I hear brake's squeal behind the house and a thud. I yell at the dogs again as I start to walk over to the house. I see two dogs running back towards me but no the third. I yell to my girlfriend that I think something happened to our other dog. I run to the other side of the house as I start to hear my neighbor say oh god no oh god no so I'm thinking the worst. I finally get around the house onto the side of the road and I find the dog laying on the side of the road with my neighbor kneeling beside it and the woman outside of her truck apologizing like crazy. The dog is lying there with eyes wide open and her tongue hanging out of her mouth I run over to them and ask is she ok. My neighbor says no she's dead and I start to tear up. I rub the side of her head and sit there doing so for a minute or so.

I go back to the house and tell my girlfriend which obviously she breaks down crying hysterically. One of the other dogs was clipped by the car we think and she starts to rub off his wounds and the blood off his nose. I go back over to the accident and my neighbor has a blanket around the dog covering it up. Another neighbor comes over and shakes his head while he says I can grab my tractor and help bury her if you need to tonight. I call my girlfriend, still crying hysterically as she tends to one of the other dogs, and I ask her where she'd like to bury her. She says next to the tree stump in the far back yard. I say ok and we all load her up in the truck and unload her next to the stump. While the neighbor was grabbing his tractor I go inside and ask my girlfriend if she wants to see her before we bury her. She says yes after a bit of thinking and comes out. The tractor is already digging a hole as he stops so we can take the blanket down. She looks at the body which is far different than I saw, her mouth is closed and her eyes are shut and she looks like she's sleeping on her side.

My girlfriend cries alot more and then walks inside as I go over to cover the dog back up. Before I do though I put my hand on her side, but although I was shaking, I thought that I was feeling her breathe even just a little bit. She laid there motionless and I kept asking my neighbor that was there kneeling next to her "Are you sure she's dead and not unconcious?" My neighbor says I'm sorry but she died in my arms and stopped breathing, you can put your hand in front of her nose if you want to to make sure. I didn't put my hand in front of her nose instead I gave one last goodbye and covered her up. We put her with the blanket into the grave and put the dirt back in.

We ended up taking the other dog to the vet cause he was limping and his lip right below hsi nose was gashed. After we were waiting for a bit the vet checked him out and told us his lungs and heart sounded fine and she couldn't really find any fractures on him. She gave him pain killers and we have to take him back up tomorrow morning to get him some stitches for his upper lip. The vet told me though that if I couldnt see the dog breathing and her side going up and down that she was probably dead which I couldn't see her side going up or down at all. But then something messed with my head that while our other dog laid there while she was giving him painkillers he wasn't breathing much at all.

On our way back our heads start to play with us some more, mine in particular. I keep thinking back to when I saw her and saying to myself, was she really dead? Did I bury the dog while she still had some life in her? These thoughts are what is keeping me up at 3 AM and posting on here. My girlfriend starts to blame herself for yelling at the dog earlier in the day, and not petting the dog during the day, basically calling herself a bad owner. She's finally asleep but I can't sleep I just needed to get my thoughts off my chest. It really affects you and makes you so paranoid that maybe you could've done something more to save a great dog.:shake:

Boyceofsummer
08-05-2008, 02:36 AM
At least you were letting your dogs do what dogs have instinct to do. Run. And chase and hunt rabbits. Iíll be more careful when off leash in the morning. My two were locked onto a rabbit in an auger laying by a tractor yesterday. Iíve seen them like this before with a rabbit in the brush or other places. They get crazy in this mode. Pure joy for them & me. I have been traveling daily by a small town location. There are two dogs in adjacent kennels. 4X8 each. They are out in the heat with nothing more that a plastic dog house for shade and a bucket of water. 24/7. I have contemplated clandestinely cutting the fence & releasing them. Why do so many people think they need a dog and then totally ignore them? Disgusting. Know that you were providing a happy & wonderful place for a great companion. Dwell on the positive.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-05-2008, 03:47 AM
That's awful. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

I came home last Saturday night to find a gaping hole in our fence in the back yard and no dogs. I was out looking for them until 4:30 am. Someone called my house, but didn't leave a message, and I called them back and they said that they saw two dogs running around, wanting to know if they were ours (obviously calling our number because our # was on the tags). He got close enough to them to read the tags, but didn't leave a message?? I found that very odd, and although the problem with the fence wasn't anyone's fault, I would have had a hard time living with myself had I found one of them on the side of the road, or worse, never again.

It turns out animal control had picked them up about an hour after this phone call, but the time between knowing they were missing and getting that call was among the worst of my life.

All I can tell you is that if you have any off leash dog parks in your area, make use of them, as they are worth more than a gold mine to me for the freedom and socialization they afford our dogs.

PhillyChiefFan
08-05-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss, people who don't own dogs don't understand how attached you get to them. They are like family, I can't imagine losing a dog that quickly. I am going through it, though much more slowly. Our border collie has cancer, and the vet gives her two weeks.

Again, I'm sorry.

BigRedChief
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
And some people wonder why many Americans were upset about Michael Vick killing dogs for sport.

Sorry for your loss.

Chiefnj2
08-05-2008, 08:23 AM
That sucks. I'm sure the dog was dead and there wasn't anything else you could do. Sorry.

memyselfI
08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
You did what you thought was the best at the time and did so with the dog's best interest and least amount of suffering in mind. That is the only thing you could and should do for your dog and in time you and your girlfriend will see that. Until then, take care. It sucks losing a pet.

Nzoner
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Losing dogs sucks,yes and I'm sorry for your loss,just keep in mind that's there's others out there still in need of good homes who are looking to be someones best friend.

Frazod
08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry for your loss Gravedigger.

Redrum_69
08-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Go out today and buy a puppy today.

blueballs
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
being the person behind the wheel is no walk in the park either

Redrum_69
08-05-2008, 09:32 AM
being the person behind the wheel is no walk in the park either

being the other two dogs after witnessing their friend get ran over is no walk in the park either

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Demonpenz
08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I have the feeling no matter how smart you think your dog is. They will go into the street if there is something to chase or food. I have had dogs run over. It is a sick feeling.

stumppy
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
That sucks man. At least the dog went out doing what he loved. We should all be that lucky.

Rain Man
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear. And don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes these things just happen.

blueballs
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
being the other two dogs after witnessing their friend get ran over is no walk in the park either

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

they're fighting over who gets it's chew toys

Dicky McElephant
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear man. I lost my dog to something completely different and it's still with me. Hopefully you both remember the good times you had with her.

DeezNutz
08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry for your loss. Dogs are good people.

Don't let the "what ifs" consume you.

Ari Chi3fs
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry to hear about you and your girls loss, Gravedigger. I had a dog not too long ago get smashed by a car, and it sucks.

wow.

One can only hope and pray that Midnight douchebag drives really fast on very slick payment surrounded by a convoy of truckers.

markk
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry for your loss, Gravedigger.

Invariably some picked-last-for-kickball type has to do this on the internet, don't pay any attention.

Sure-Oz
08-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Sorry for your loss man, that sucks and well shit happens at times...ive avoided hitting a dog a few times...good thing my speeds weren;t too fast. In the country every dog is loose and there isnt nearly as much traffic on those roads.

As for the people giving advice and saying they were bad owners, well i think they already know wtf to do now Captain Obvious.

DaFace
08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
This isn't a prayer thread, but it's damn close. Keep your holier-than-thou advice out of this thread. If you feel the need to discuss how much better of a person you are than everyone around you, please do so here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184413

J Diddy
08-05-2008, 02:25 PM
sorry about your loss bud

avoided a near catastrophe a week or 2 back

Redrum_69
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
avoided a near catastrophe a week or 2 back

?????:spock:

bogey
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I can't bring myself to read the story. I'm sorry for you.

warrior
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
condolences gravedigger and girl friend, its really a sad time losing a pet you love

ChiefsFan4Life
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
This isn't a prayer thread, but it's damn close. Keep your holier-than-thou advice out of this thread.

Flex those mod muscles

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4891852&postcount=287