PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE DVD INDUSTRY?!!!

Frankie
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Every week I check out the announcements for new releases looking for some classics or semi-classics of the past to fcome out only to see some titles re-released in their 5th or 6th editons. Most of them are titles that should not have been released before any credible title to begin with. They have lamer and lamer excuses with their new versions. "Re-packaged" or "(Title), I love the 80s package" or "special edition" or "Collector's edition." This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not getting any younger and still waiting for some of the more worthy titles to come out FOR THE FIRST TIME!!

I'm just pissed off. Somebody oughta write their congressmen about this.:cuss::cuss:

Redrum_69
08-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Obama needs more campaign contributions...

Saulbadguy
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Just wait until they are all re-re-released on Blu ray...

Rain Man
08-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Middle-aged men of Iranian descent are not the target market for this industry. You have to wait until they satiate 18-35 year-old men, 18-35 year-old women, 15-18 year-old Hispanics, truck drivers from the south, paraplegics, quadriplegics, quintlaplegics (those born with an extra arm that also doesn't work), retirees, people with incomes over $250,000, prison convicts, Senators, night watchmen, guys who can't get dates, luxury car owners, golfers, housewives, 4-7 year olds who live in households with at both parents, 4-7 year-olds who live in single-parent households whose babysitters don't speak English, and high-functioning jungle primates.

Fish
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Hollywood has sucked ass for some time now.... Today's "blockbusters" are made to appeal to absolutely everyone(i.e. the dumbest demographic possible), and they've lost all creativity....

Frankie
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Middle-aged men of Iranian descent are not the target market for this industry. You have to wait until they satiate 18-35 year-old men, 18-35 year-old women, 15-18 year-old Hispanics, truck drivers from the south, paraplegics, quadriplegics, quintlaplegics (those born with an extra arm that also doesn't work), retirees, people with incomes over $250,000, prison convicts, Senators, night watchmen, guys who can't get dates, luxury car owners, golfers, housewives, 4-7 year olds who live in households with at both parents, 4-7 year-olds who live in single-parent households whose babysitters don't speak English, and high-functioning jungle primates.

But haven't they been satiated by the first 4 or 5 editions of the same lame movies?

I have to find a website where people can demand certain titles to be released on DVD. I'm not even talking about hard core classics. Glen Ford's "Sheepman," or "The Canterville Ghost" (1944) or "the Devile's Disciple" (1959) are some of the worthy titles that have been shamefully ignored while the DVD industry busies their staff with repackaging old garbage.

Frankie
08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I have to find a website where people can demand certain titles to be released on DVD.

I haven't found sites like that, BTW. If you folks know of any, please post.

Rain Man
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
But haven't they been satiated by the first 4 or 5 editions of the same lame movies?

I have to find a website where people can demand certain titles to be released on DVD. I'm not even talking about hard core classics. Glen Ford's "Sheepman," or "The Canterville Ghost" (1944) or "the Devile's Disciple" (1959) are some of the worthy titles that have been shamefully ignored while the DVD industry busies their staff with repackaging old garbage.

Those are simply not going to outsell "Best Pauly Shore Outtakes from BioSphere 2: Director's Cut".

Yes, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Get your guns ready, because civilization is balanced on the brink, and a strong wind is blowing.

Rausch
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
1984 is out of print/pressing whatever.

I had to pay like $80 for one.

And after finally seeing it I'm not sure if the film or the price pissed me off more...

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
IM fairly certain they keep releasing the same titles and repackaging them because market research shows that they are the titles that are making the most $$$$$.

Everything is about $$$ in Hollywood.

Alot of good older titles have rights issues. Thats why they are unavailable on DVD or you have to wait forever for it to be released.

As well, there are tons of obscure titles that never get released probably because the studios think they are not worth the time, $, and effort to create a decent DVD. They dont feel it will sell enough.

Silock
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Barack Obama will fix this. He's going to institute a windfall profits tax on the DVD industry.

Frazod
08-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Call 911. :D

Rausch
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Call 911. :D

Or demand a full refund for your time wasted and dissatisfaction before stabbing the person responsible 50 or so times on a bus...

jidar
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
who gives a ****. download everything

Frazod
08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
1984 is out of print/pressing whatever.

I had to pay like $80 for one.

And after finally seeing it I'm not sure if the film or the price pissed me off more...

Serves you right after subjecting me to Donnie f#cking Darko. :grr:

Ari Chi3fs
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
The film industry is certainly changing a bunch, as soon as DIGG released the code to crack the HD DVD, they collectively decided to go the Blu-Ray way... which is good for Sony.

But, yeah, all this shit is ridiculous. I WONT be rebuying a bunch of DVDs senselessly.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
But, yeah, all this shit is ridiculous. I WONT be rebuying a bunch of DVDs senselessly.

I really question whether or not HD movies will catch on or not.

For one, DVD quality is "good enough" for the average movie watcher.

The movie buffs and fanatics have already invested thousands in a ton of regular DVD's over the past 10 years. I would suspect most have the attitude as you.

Rausch
08-05-2008, 11:20 AM

You're allowed to be, but you're still in the minority on that one...

jidar
08-05-2008, 11:21 AM

that's a great movie

Frankie
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
who gives a ****. download everything

I like to collect the professional version of the movies I want. Packaging and everything. That said, if I give up on any of my desired titles being released anytime soon would I find the old titles for download? If so I don't suppose they would be of any quality. Would they?

Frankie
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Well?

Pneuma
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
torrent the DVDs u want.. Get a DVD player that supports DIVX.

DJJasonp
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
that's a great movie

agree 100%