PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Possible O line scenario

tooge
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Ok, Herm is always saying that the best players will be on the field, no matter what right? So, I got to thinking about the O line. Herb Taylor was a stud LT in college. He has great feet and the knock was his size, being listed out of TCU at 296lbs. But, that is still about 30 lbs more than most DE's. He performed very well in the limited duty last year and was only a rookie. So, if he were to show that he could be a decent, even if not exceptional, Left tackle for this team, and if Brandon Albert can be the all pro guard everyone thinks he would have been, then why not try it? I know Albert was too high of a pick for guard, but if you could shore up the entire O line save the right tackle spot, why wouldn't you? I really look forward to seeing Herb Taylor at LT over the next 3 preseason games just to see what he has. Any opinions on this?

Hoover
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Its way to early to give up on Albert being the LT, but while he's out I think it would be smart to give Taylor a shot.

Micjones
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Albert will be this team's Left Tackle.
Hopefully Taylor can figure in elsewhere.

I'd really like to see Richardson win a chance to play at the Right Tackle spot.
Let our future Tackles learn early and stabilize the pocket for years to come.

Direckshun
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
If Taylor does a decent job, then bang, we've got a surefire backup at tackle for a while.

ChiefGator
08-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd really like to see Richardson win a chance to play at the Right Tackle spot.
Let our future Tackles learn early and stabilize the pocket for years to come.

If I could pick one player and have them overperform and get a starting position, it would be Richardson. I really hope he can come on strong and be starting by the end of the year. That would go a long way to solving our O-Line woes.

Micjones
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
If I could pick one player and have them overperform and get a starting position, it would be Richardson. I really hope he can come on strong and be starting by the end of the year. That would go a long way to solving our O-Line woes.

I couldn't agree more.
I look forward to seeing what Richardson can do in Year One.
We don't have any real answers there. I'm excited about the possibility that he'll wrestle that job away from McIntosh before the year's over.

Pestilence
08-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I couldn't agree more.
I look forward to seeing what Richardson can do in Year One.
We don't have any real answers there. I'm excited about the possibility that he'll wrestle that job away from McIntosh before the year's over.

It won't be hard when McIntosh goes down by week 4 with a knee injury.

OnTheWarpath58
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
It won't be hard when McIntosh goes down by week 4 with a knee injury.

Week 4 of the preseason...

Seriously, I'm for whatever puts the best 5 OL-men on the field at the same time.

If that meant moving Albert to guard, so be it. People are too worked up over his draft slot. Steve Hutchinson was picked 2 slots behind Albert, and I don't recall Seahawks fans pitching a bitch once they saw him play...

Chiefnj2
08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Week 4 of the preseason...

Seriously, I'm for whatever puts the best 5 OL-men on the field at the same time.

If that meant moving Albert to guard, so be it. People are too worked up over his draft slot. Steve Hutchinson was picked 2 slots behind Albert, and I don't recall Seahawks fans pitching a bitch once they saw him play...

Did the Hawks give up a top 5 DE in exchange for that draft pick?

OnTheWarpath58
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Who gives a flying ****? Doesn't change the value of the pick in the least. Regardless of whether he plays guard or left tackle.

Pestilence
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Move on. It's over....we traded him. We don't know who got the better end of this deal right now....

suds79
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

True.

Furthermore, say Albert bombs at LT and goes to be a good Guard. Fine. Although Taylor could (and that's a big if) make it at LT, if he's our starter, he'll want LT $$ come season's end.

End the end, that's just too much $$ on the O-line.

We need Albert to be a good to great LT. It's the Guards that you can get off cheap on IMO.

Rausch
08-05-2008, 12:13 PM

I wasn't aware that it was a straight up trade of Albert for Allen...

StcChief
08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Albert will be this team's Left Tackle.
Hopefully Taylor can figure in elsewhere.

Let our future Tackles learn early and stabilize the pocket for years to come.what Green Bay did a few years ago.... worked pretty well.
growing pains but solid future.

OnTheWarpath58
08-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I wasn't aware that it was a straight up trade of Albert for Allen...

Yeah, that would have gone over great with the fanbase...

Carl: In the end, we decided to pass on the best player available, because we weren't getting a true LT with one of the picks we acquired in the Allen deal. Instead, we decided to go with Cherilus, who we know will be an average tackle for the Chiefs for many seasons to come..."

OnTheWarpath58
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
True.

Furthermore, say Albert bombs at LT and goes to be a good Guard. Fine. Although Taylor could (and that's a big if) make it at LT, if he's our starter, he'll want LT $$ come season's end.

End the end, that's just too much $$ on the O-line.

We need Albert to be a good to great LT. It's the Guards that you can get off cheap on IMO.

Alan Faneca and Jacob Bell disagree with you, to the tune of $34M in guaranteed money, combined.

Christ, I PRAY that these young offensive linemen end up being good enough to command a huge salary...

Rausch
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, that would have gone over great with the fanbase...

Carl: In the end, we decided to pass on the best player available, because we weren't getting a true LT with one of the picks we acquired in the Allen deal. Instead, we decided to go with Cherilus, who we know will be an average tackle for the Chiefs for many seasons to come..."

I'm saying the Allen deal is what allowed us to take Dorsey (BPA) over need.

He was there and we still had an extra (Allen) pick...

OnTheWarpath58
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM

He was there and we still had an extra (Allen) pick...

I worded that retarded.

We're on exactly the same page...

HypnotizedMonkey
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
If the Chiefs' O-line doesn't get worked like an aging crack-whore (again) this year, I will be very surprised.

blueballs
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
the Herb
for passing situations

Chiefnj2
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Pure speculation. Herm and Kuharich bang on the "best player available regardless of need" drum. They would have taken Dorsey anyway.

SNR
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
There are plenty of open spots on the Herb Wagon (see my avatar)