PDA

View Full Version : Football FAVRE UPDATE

cardken
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
McCarthy: Favre not ready to play for Packersby Jay Glazer
Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.

Updated: August 5, 2008, 5:42 PM EST 534 comments add this RSS blog email print Speaking publicly for the first time about his series of meetings with Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said the quarterback was not in the "proper mindset" to continue as a member of the team.

FAVRE-WATCH The Brett Favre saga has taken some interesting turns since he supposedly announced his retirement from the NFL. News:
McCarthy: Favre not in 'proper mindset'
Glazer: Favre, Pack likely to split
Goodell: Vikings did not tamper
Vikings: No Favre trade talk yet
Favre to be reinstated ... now what?
Packers hire Fleischer for PR help
Packers prez: Favre is welcome in GB
Report: Pack to trade Favre in division?
McCain: 'I'm not so dumb' to pick sides
Read Green Bay Packers statement
Timeline in Favre-Packers saga

Analysis:Kriegel: Romo the anti-Favre
Kriegel: Favre a selfish superstar
Whitlock: A letter to Ted Thompson
Glazer: Debunking Favre rumors
Marvez: Most GB fans back Pack
Marvez: Where Favre should end up
Kriegel: Favre tarnishing his legacy

More on Favre:Video: Goodell speaks on Favre dispute
Photos: Favre through the years
Community: Packers fans sound off
Poll: What should Packers do?

"We talked about everything that has happened since this whole process started," McCarthy said. "We rehashed all the different things that's gone on. We agreed and disagreed. Our whole focus was, was he a member of our football team and where was his mind at? He was not at the proper mindset to be part of our football team."

But asked specifically if Favre had played his final game with the Packers, McCarthy tiptoed around the subject.

"There's no decision made," McCarthy said. "We talked about speaking again tonight."

Even if the decision isn't yet official, McCarthy appeared to be comfortable proceeding with Aaron Rodgers as his starting quarterback.

"Aaron Rodgers has done everything right," McCarthy said. "I understand the attention he gets for being in his position. I think that he has the tools mentally, physically, emotionally. Who's had better training than Aaron Rodgers in being an NFL QB? I believe in Aaron because he's very talented."

After meeting for more than five hours Monday night, Favre and McCarthy met for another four hours Tuesday morning. Shortly after that meeting concluded, Favre left Lambeau Field before the Packers began their Tuesday afternoon practice.

But the discussions didn't stop there.

FOXSports.com learned that multiple Packers executives continued to meet with Favre off-site in an attempt to resolve the situation.

Favre has told the team that he wants to be traded to either Minnesota or Chicago. But according to sources, it is believed the Bears have no interest and the Vikings appear to be a long shot as well.

However, the Buccaneers and Jets have been interested in obtaining Favre since the saga began and sources from both teams have told FOXSports.com that their interest has not wavered.

A team spokesman said an update on Favre's status would not be available until coach McCarthy's post-practice news conference.

The continued discussions came less than a day after a marathon session of meetings between Favre, McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson Monday night, the details of which were first reported by FOXSports.com.

During those meetings, Favre and McCarthy agreed that an open quarterback competition would be an unwanted distraction for the team, essentially agreeing that Aaron Rodgers would be the team's starting quarterback. Favre also told McCarthy and Thompson that he did not want to ruin team chemistry.

The talks were largely amicable, but the sides remain stalemated over a possible destination for the three-time MVP, with Favre very much wanting to remain within the division and the team hoping to find another option
How in the Hell could the Bears not be interested with you're current choice being Grossman? They are all drinking the Kool-Aid in Chicago i guess?

BigVE
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
More BREAKING NEWS: Favre sneezes. Details to follow.

Who cares?

BWillie
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
You know, there is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes....so why not a ESPN Farve. I'm sick of hearing about it

kstater
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Is this different from any of the other numerous Favre articles?

blueballs
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
may your dog get run over
by a 5th grade douchebag with AIDS

KurtCobain
08-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Cancer is worse than aids.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Could some team in the AFC trade for him then in turn trade him to the Vikings or Bears? That would be awesome.

Baconeater
08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
FavrePlanet.com

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Could some team in the AFC trade for him then in turn trade him to the Vikings or Bears? That would be awesome.

I would assume Goodell would intervene in that situation and nix it.

That would be extremely unprofessional.

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
may your dog get run over
by a 5th grade douchebag with AIDS

AIDS?

that's.......................... retro

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
You know, there is ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes....so why not a ESPN Farve. I'm sick of hearing about it

Heh, it's bad enough they have a thing on the bottom line that says Favre. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and then a Favre tab....WTF??? Why not a whole channel?? Sad part is there will be people who'd watch it non-stop

sportsman1
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I know I would watch it. Why? Because I am told to. I am a good American who does what they are told to do./end sarcasm.

Sure-Oz
08-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Favre to TB announcement could come tomorrow

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Favre to TB announcement could come tomorrow

link?

CosmicPal
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
This just in: Favre just called it a night, drank a glass of warm milk, and went to bed.

Thig Lyfe
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
link?

ESPN ticker right now.

Sure-Oz
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
link?

ESPN ticker has shown it like 10x in a row and then switched to scores after...

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
gnarly

Sure-Oz
08-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Speculation could be a 3rd rounder that could go up in value with his performance and possibly a backup QB to GB...according to Mortensen via ESPN
Most likely the Bucs he will get traded to but the Jets are a small shot in the mix.