PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Our Offense Sounds Like The Donks

philfree
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I've read it a couple places today in reference to our O. We're a power running team who uses zone blocking and roll outs. We run the strectch and nakeds. I just read it in an old 8/1 article by John Clayton and I think it might have been Gretz who wrote the other article I read it in. It was rumored in the offseason that we were going to a zone blocking scheme and apparently we are to some capacity. Anyone at camp have anything they've observed to report about our zone blocking?

PhilFree:arrow:

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Thats kind of the impression ive gotten as well.

88TG88
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Ya, but they don't have Dwayne f'ing Bowe.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Ya, but they don't have Dwayne f'ing Bowe.

They also have an inferior quarterback to Brodie f'ing Crodie.

Douche Baggins
08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. The Donks, with some power elements mixed in. Saw a lot of counters, but there's quite a bit of misdirection, even in shotgun formations.

I saw some fun stuff with one-man routes off bootleg action, trying to get Bowe open deep by dragging him across the field from the other side. Takes a BIG arm to make that throw, but would make for some really sweet deep passes if the defense gets sucked up and Bowe separates.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I saw some fun stuff with one-man routes off bootleg action, trying to get Bowe open deep by dragging him across the field from the other side. Takes a BIG arm to make that throw, but would make for some really sweet deep passes if the defense gets sucked up and Bowe separates.

That sounds like classic John Elway stuff there.

blueballs
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
okay Tony G
no need to get mouthy

Douche Baggins
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

The best thing about the offense is the audibles. It's such a relief after like, six years of Al Saunders/Mike Solari dictatorship.

Oh yeah, and screens. We can run screens again.

Moobs
08-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Brodie did always remind me of Plummer...

Direckshun
08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
It's true on appearance alone.

Both teams are going to give up a lot of sacks because their OL are "anchored" by rookie LTs and their right sides are sad stopgaps. Both teams will struggle opening holes for their run games, even though both are pretty set at RB.

We've also got TEs that are probably our best receivers (with Marshall out, that's true for the Donks).

The WR corps for both teams aren't impressive, and haven't proven that they're worth shit except for Bowe and Marshall. Both teams have a pathetic FA pickup that will fail (Darling and Parker). And both teams have midrounders that they hope can become a legit deep threat (Royal and Franklin).

The only difference, of course, is Cutler and Croyle. Croyle has to prove himself first, but it's an unfair comparison because Cutler is given a lot more plays to make, whereas Croyle has to manage a conservative offense that strips him of any playmaking chances.

chiefs1111
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
The best thing about the offense is the audibles. It's such a relief after like, six years of Al Saunders/Mike Solari dictatorship.

Yes,it would be nice seeing Jamal Charles and L.J take a couple screen passes to the end zone...

ClevelandBronco
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Damn those cheatin' Chiefs and their dirty zone blocking.

Messier
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm kind of excited about this. I've always wanted us to try a variation of this offense. It should make for some high percentage passes that will at least give Croyle some good numbers.

InChiefsHell
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Brodie did always remind me of Plummer...

Die. Die in a horrible fiery car crash...

B_Ambuehl
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
That's not the same zone blocking scheme that Denver runs. The offense under DV was technically a zone blocking scheme. What Denver, G.B, Houston, and Oak all run could more accurately be called a cutback blocking scheme. Our scheme is not like that at all.

Douche Baggins
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
That's not the same zone blocking scheme that Denver runs. The offense under DV was technically a zone blocking scheme. What Denver, G.B, Houston, and Oak all run could more accurately be called a cutback blocking scheme. Our scheme is not like that at all.

Have you seen the scheme at camp?

They're not adopting it completely, per se. But there are definitely plays in there that Denver runs quite a bit. That downhill toss play is in there, the one the Donks used to rape people with when Terrell Davis was playing.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
That downhill toss play is in there, the one the Donks used to rape people with when Terrell Davis was playing.

Nice, so how does LJ look in that? How is he on the cutback run?

Douche Baggins
08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Both teams have a pathetic FA pickup that will fail (Darling and Parker).

Dude, Devard Darling BLOWS SAMIE PARKER AWAY. It's not even close. You're going to love Darling.

Croyle has to manage a conservative offense that strips him of any playmaking chances.

This is just plain ignorant. At camp I saw Croyle uncork two of the prettiest deep balls I've ever seen thrown. They were absolutely perfect. One to Darling.

FAX
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

That's the way I see it too, Mr. B_Ambuehl. The goat herd seemed to rely on the single cutback to daylight approach to the rush. We have to see the magnificant and inscrutable Chan work his magic on the field of course, but it seems to me as though we're talking about zone blocking designed to get LJ into the second level where he can run over somebody. Perhaps a minor difference, but a difference nonetheless.

As for the rollouts, that's something we should have been doing a lot more of over the last couple of years. Anything to mask the ineptitude of the pack of idiots Herm refers to as our offensive line.

FAX

Douche Baggins
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice, so how does LJ look in that? How is he on the cutback run?

LJ's a beast dude. He does everything well except block. Charles has run that downhill toss pretty well, too.

ClevelandBronco
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I'd be interested in seeing LJ as a cutback runner. That way he's trying to run over the LB or the safety rather than trying to run over the DT.

He could last a couple more seasons that way.

PGM
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Seems like alot of reports have been fairly positive towards Darling. I've yet to read anything negative about him and it seems like he's making plays every day. Hopefully it'll translate into some sucess this year.

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2008, 01:33 AM

Thank you for changing your avatar. Seriously. Thank you.

knowmo3
08-06-2008, 06:05 AM
So now everyone in the division is going to copy the donks? If you cant beatem joinem i guess.

KCJohnny
08-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Didn't Denver pile up like 68 points against us last year?

Hoover
08-06-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm excited about this style of offense. While I hate the Donks, their offense always made big plays. The first time Brodie rolls out and hits Bowe deep will be a thing of beauty.

HonestChieffan
08-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Our O has fewer lawyers though.

Demonpenz
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
the only thing is other teams know how to defend the bootleg

Reerun_KC
08-06-2008, 07:43 AM
As Long as Herm keeps his hands off of it, it can be very successful, We saw last year with a OC that was controlled and dictated by his HC. The results were typical Herm, disturbing and painful to watch.

If Gailey can run "HIS" offense without the constant under the bus throwing from Herm. The chiefs can be successful and surprise people.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2008, 07:58 AM

So now we are bashing the Al Saunders offense? The most successful in Chiefs history?

Screens could be effective. Especially with a weak O-line.

InChiefsHell
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
So now we are bashing the Al Saunders offense? The most successful in Chiefs history?

Screens could be effective. Especially with a weak O-line.

Exactly! ROFL

Saunders had no need for audibles...Solari did but was too inept to realize it...

StcChief
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm just ready for football....damn it. :cuss:

enough talk of what it's like in practice....

Chief Henry
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM

It worked too :( too well.