PDA

View Full Version : News Inmate Claims He's Too Fat To Be Put To Death

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow, now ive heard it all.

http://www.woai.com/content/blogs/headlines/story.aspx?content_id=86fd2c7f-1e63-4887-b921-4757aad89a94

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A death row inmate scheduled for execution says he's too fat to be put to death, claiming executioners would have trouble finding his veins and that his weight could diminish the effectiveness of one of the lethal injection drugs.

Lawyers for Richard Cooey argue in a federal lawsuit that Cooey 5-feet-7 and 267 pounds had poor veins when he faced execution five years ago and the problem has been worsened by weight gain.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, also says prison officials have had difficulty drawing blood from Cooey for medical procedures.

Cooey, 41, is sentenced to die for raping and murdering two young women in 1986. His execution is scheduled for Oct. 14.

His attorneys say a drug he is taking for migraine headaches could affect the execution process. The drug Topamax, a type of seizure medication, may have created a resistance to thiopental, the drug used to put inmates to sleep before two other lethal drugs are administered, Dr. Mark Heath, a physician hired by the Ohio Public Defender's Office, said in documents filed with the court.

Heath says Cooey's weight, combined with the potential drug resistance, increases the risk he would not be properly anesthetized.

"All of the experts agree if the first drug doesn't work, the execution is going to be excruciating," Cooey's public defender, Kelly Culshaw Schneider, said Monday.

Prison system spokeswoman Andrea Carson and Jim Gravelle, a spokesman for the Ohio Attorney General's Office, both said Monday they hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment.

Last year, Carson cited the obesity of condemned inmate Christopher Newton as one of the reasons prison officials had difficulty accessing his veins before his execution. Newton was 6 feet tall and weighed 265 pounds.

Two years ago, convicted killer Jeffrey Lundgren was put to death after a federal appeals court rejected his claim that he was at greater risk of experiencing pain and suffering because he was overweight and diabetic.

Bugeater
08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
**** it then, take the fatass down with a harpoon. The end result is the same.

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 09:40 PM
cow slaughtering.... painless actually

Rain Man
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Perhaps the migraine medicine can be dispensed with a couple of days before he's put to death. Just a thought.

And it makes one wonder how painful the deaths were of the people he killed. I suspect that he didn't show them any compassion.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
And it makes one wonder how painful the deaths were of the people he killed. I suspect that he didn't show them any compassion.

Exactly. This sort of nonsense just highlights the ridiculous nature of our legal system at times.

Did he show those two girls he raped and murdered the same sort of caring and compassion he now expects before he did them in??

RibKing67
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I bet he would not be bit**ing about it if he needed the government to remove his appendix or perform another medical procedure at taxpayer expense and needed to start an IV!!!! Hang his ass and forget looking for a vein!

Spicy McHaggis
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
What, does the ****ing guillotine not work anymore?

Extra Point
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Put him in a sealed chamber, like a sterilizer, and pull about 15 inHg of vacuum, enough to pull the air out of his lungs and keep his innards intact. He'll pass out from oxygen loss, and die a few minutes later. He can utilize freedom of choice, for 10 Qaaludes prior to the proceedings. That, or a body bag under a vacuum. Gift-wrapped, courtesy of the state.

blueballs
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
there is a skinny guy
dieing to get out

Frazod
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Gun, back of head, BOOM????

And how the f#ck would that be any less "humane" than lethal injection? Messier, sure. But who cares?

Of course, we could also just throw the f#cker down in GP and let him get raped to death like his victims. That would be justice.

But who gives a shit about that? :shake:

rambleonthruthefog
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
sounds like a challenge.

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM

That's how they do it in China

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM

And how the f#ck would that be any less "humane" than lethal injection? Messier, sure. But who cares?

it's not about the guy being shot... it's about the guy who has to shoot him.

very disturbing

Frazod
08-05-2008, 11:08 PM
it's not about the guy being shot... it's about the guy who has to shoot him.

very disturbing

Is the guy who pulls the trigger any less of a killer than the guy who starts the drip? Dead is dead. It's the sentence of the court. And it's long overdue.

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Is the guy who pulls the trigger any less of a killer than the guy who starts the drip? Dead is dead. It's the sentence of the court. And it's long overdue.

starting the drip has to be pretty ****ed up, too. but squeezing one off in the back of some guy's dome has to be worse.

it's just so personal... and so messy....... shit

Frazod
08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
starting the drip has to be pretty ****ed up, too. but squeezing one off in the back of some guy's dome has to be worse.

Not as messy as cleaning up after his crime scene, I'd imagine. And the executioner could always fire through a hole in wall. And they could always wait and then hose down the room after the scumbag bleeds out.

Shaid
08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Do away with the death sentence entirely. Just sentence them to a lifetime of being tied up, bent over naked in the middle of the yard and let the other inmates do what they want. They'd probably just kill themselves after a few months. Problem solved.

CosmicPal
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
If he's too fat, then they should send in this guy.

http://i31.tinypic.com/j6ivcm.jpg

Lonewolf Ed
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I am SOOOO glad to see my tax dollars at work turning this cretin into a fat bastard. If it was my prison, they'd get pork'n'beans and Wonder white bread twice a day and then throw them a lemon every other day to keep them from getting scurvy.

The Pedestrian
08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Remember Saw IV? Two large blocks of ice that crush his head and shatter on impact...but just so it's a choice between life and suicide, though, there will be a bolt about three feet above his head that keeps the blocks of ice raised and he has to hold it in place for 16 consecutive hours if he's to go free. Painfully painless.

Frazod
08-05-2008, 11:40 PM

I like the way you think. :evil:

Ari Chi3fs
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Just set him free naked somewhere in teh middle of Iraq.

CosmicPal
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I am SOOOO glad to see my tax dollars at work turning this cretin into a fat bastard. If it was my prison, they'd get pork'n'beans and Wonder white bread twice a day and then throw them a lemon every other day to keep them from getting scurvy.

I recall doing a paper on mandatory minimum sentencing in college. During my research, I came across this discovery that the cost to feed and house the average inmate, it would actually have cost us less to send an inmate to an Ivy league college and secure a four-year degree.

I'm not saying everyone deserves to be rehabilitated, but I do believe some deserve that chance- particularly those who are in for non-violent crimes.

SPATCH
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM

spacey does not tolerate gluttons

chiefs1111
08-05-2008, 11:47 PM
What, does the ****ing guillotine not work anymore?

Off with his head!!!!!!!

Ultra Peanut
08-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Remember Saw IV?No.

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
The two poor victims he raped and murdered didn't get any anesthesia ... A bullet and a revolver would work pretty well.

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2008, 01:29 AM
P.S. How can someone continue to gain weight in prison? WTF. Shouldn't prisoners be scrawny skeletons with ratty clothes? Oh well.

ChiefsNWildcats
08-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Have a machine start a drip into a container. Once the container is full then the weight of it causes a machine to fire a pistol into the back of his head thats strapped in. Then it's no different than the lethal injection. heheh.

This guy deserves much much worse.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Texas got another one last night. A Mexican this time.