PDA

View Full Version : Misc How long do cell phones last?

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Mine died this morning. It's a Net 10 that is just over a year old. I called and the lady said "it's out of warranty, buy a new one'. I've got 500 minutes left on it. I don't want a new one. Can you buy new batteries for them or what?

unlurking
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.jitterbug.com/

Pestilence
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.jitterbug.com/

ROFL

CoMoChief
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
cell phones last long enough to exhaust the warranty that is on them should you choose to buy it.

Then it breaks or malfunctions once the warranty expires, then you're ****ed into buying a new phone.

Sincerely with love,
Sprint

Demonpenz
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
They ususally last until they stop dialing out or in or recieving any multimedia messages

Deberg_1990
08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
cell phones last long enough to exhaust the warranty that is on them should you choose to buy it.

Then it breaks or malfunctions once the warranty expires, then you're ****ed into buying a new phone.

Sincerely with love,
Sprint

Its a racket. They make these phones as cheaply as possible so you will be forced to upgrade in a year or two.

Smart Business model.

kepp
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I've had my Nokia for nearly 4 years and it's still working fine.

Iowanian
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Mine usually lasts until a baby chews on it, gets an end wet and shorts out the microphone.....or it gets too wet in my pocket working outside......or its not working right, I try to get the warranty replaced and get a "its not broken enough" so I drive over it with a truck, jump up and down on it and bring it back in a baggy....

Its never "their fault" and I always end up with a new phone paid for by me.

Cell phone insurance is a scam.

FAX
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
"Last" is an arbitrary term, Mr. Skip Towne. A cell phone "lasts" until you need it most. They're like women that way. One day you're happily getting calls and receiving text messages and the next day you're on the street looking for a pay phone and begging for spare change from strangers on the bus and digging through dumpsters for something to eat and living in a cardboard box because your baby done gone and left with the drifter who came by see if you had any work and was willing to sleep in the barn and made friends with your dog but he took him too.

FAX

StcChief
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know... my Motorola Nextel lasted years.... built well. double cased.

the Razr I have now. got a clear case for it (made it a doublecase phone) no issue.... so far.

AMDChief
08-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I love my Blackberry! :D

Frazod
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I've never had one die on me. I think I've had perhaps six different ones over the years. I lost a couple of them, but the rest I upgraded over.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
This one is a Motorola and it just went black, no backlights. I called and gave them the IMEI number and she was sure I needed a new phone without checking anything. I think they wait until the warranty expires then turn it off.

Alton deFlat
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I love my Blackberry! :D

I liked mine too, until I forgot it my jeans and it went through a wash.

DUMBASS!!!! :cuss::eek::doh!::mad::banghead:

Phobia
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I kill one every 3 months or so. So far they've all been under warranty. I'm really hard on phones. Can't wait for Verizon to offer the ruggedized military model.

Donger
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
MTBF on a cell phone? I have no idea. I would guess two years, maximum.

Dayze
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Planned Obscolecence. Fairly standard practice by corporations.

Most stuff lasts 1-3 years; then it craps out. Thus, requiring to buy the next toy.

keg in kc
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I go for older (cheaper) models and I've never had one last less than 4 years. I'm sure that streak will end once I get my first flip-phone.

BigMeatballDave
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Can't you just transfer the minutes?

BigMeatballDave
08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I hate that they charge you for insurance but water damage is not covered. Bastards.

rad
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't know... my Motorola Nextel lasted years.... built well. double cased.

the Razr I have now. got a clear case for it (made it a doublecase phone) no issue.... so far.

That's what I have.... no probs yet

I kill one every 3 months or so. So far they've all been under warranty. I'm really hard on phones. Can't wait for Verizon to offer the ruggedized military model.

That's the kind I have. Not with Verizon though....

http://mivadika.com/images/mvdk/Motorola_i580.gif

Valiant
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I have had all of my phones at least 4+ years without them going bad..

I would call the company and have them transfer the minutes over..

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
These last forever:

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/SouthWestern_Bell_Motorola_Brick_Cell_phone_web.jpg

Frazod
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I hate that they charge you for insurance but water damage is not covered. Bastards.

I actually had one that survived falling in the toilet (thank God I'd already flushed). I was rather surprised by that.

Nightfyre
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I have had mine 6 years now, but they changed their business model a little bit more recently.

jynni
08-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I had a Sanyo that lasted through a drop to the bottom of a pool, getting soaked while in my pocket at a Chiefs game when it was raining and a drop in the shower. Just took the battery out, let it dry for a day or so and it worked fine. Same phone was also dropped multiple times. Only reason I got rid of it was cause I needed a PDA phone.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Heh. My cell phone came back to life. THAT LADY LIED TO ME. I just had to hold down the red button for 3 seconds and it fired right back up.

rad
08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Heh. My cell phone came back to life. THAT LADY LIED TO ME. I just had to hold down the red button for 3 seconds and it fired right back up.

LMAO

FAX
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Eleven Lying Ladies and a partridge in a pear tree. Which reminds me that somebody ought to show some initiative and get that partridge out of that tree before he eats all the pears because there are millions of kids all over these United States of America who are looking forward to their pears at lunchtime and there aren't going to be any this year because a damned partridge is hogging them all and he should be able to afford to buy his own pears like everybody else with all those Nickelodeon residuals he's getting from reruns that come on right after Spongebob, but no, it's free pear day every day.

FAX

CrazyPhuD
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM

ROFL....has your computer 'died' on you too?

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 06:18 PM
ROFL....has your computer 'died' on you too?

I don't have a computer.

kstater
08-06-2008, 06:19 PM

You mean you figured out how to turn it on?

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 06:22 PM
You mean you figured out how to turn it on?

For a year all I had to do was flip it open and it was on. When I called back the guy told me to try that and it worked. I didn't know it could be turned off And all that lady could say was "new phone, new phone..