PDA

View Full Version : Life A mildly interesting (or perhaps boring) work story.

Rain Man
08-06-2008, 05:19 PM
We did a public opinion survey for a client in 2005, in a particular city. We mailed surveys to households, got them back and did our analysis.

In 2008, the client asked us to do the survey again. We designed a new survey with some of the same questions, some different ones, and mailed it. We've been getting the surveys back.

We got one envelope back that had the 2005 survey in it.

Three years later, someone returned the first survey. It's definitely the old survey, and is even dated 2005. How did this happen? Is someone's desk so messy that they left the survey there for three years, then randomly got a new one, and dug around and happened to find the old one instead of the new one? Did they not get a new survey, and just randomly found the old one and turned it in?

It looks like they gave thought to the survey responses. The completed the whole thing, which took about 15 minutes. How weird.

That's a new record for us. We'll occasionally have a survey that comes back after six months to a year, but nothing close to 3 years.

KcMizzou
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure there's the plot to a Twilight Zone episode in here somewhere...

Pestilence
08-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Same thing happens with absentee ballots for an election.

We'll get 2 year old ballots that people send in and I'm assuming that they're hoping that they will be counted.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sure if I dug around on my desk long enough I could find something 3 years old.

Rain Man
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm sure if I dug around on my desk long enough I could find something 3 years old.

"So that's what happened to little Timmy."

Chief Chief
08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
It looks like they gave thought to the survey responses. The completed the whole thing, which took about 15 minutes.

Perhaps it really took them the whole 3 years...

wendy666
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
really a long time

RJ
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Maybe the 2nd survey was a reminder that the 1st survey was never returned.

"Oh crap, I never mailed that thing in!".

ct
08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Maybe the 2nd survey was a reminder that the 1st survey was never returned.

"Oh crap, I never mailed that thing in!".

This was my 1st thought as well. Although did say it appeared they put some thought into it, so maybe they're just slow? :shrug: