PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone worked or working for Sam' Club?

Buster's Dad
08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
My wife is considering going to work for them anyone have any comments good of bad?
thanks for your input.

DaKCMan AP
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Costco > Sam's

redbrian
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Is she looking to be in a future class action suit..........stay away from anything associated with the Walton's......

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Wal-Mart treats their help like shit. But they made a bunch of them rich.

cabletech94
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Too many CHIEFS, not enough indians.

MTG#10
08-06-2008, 07:28 PM
My uncle was the head of security for most of the Sam's Clubs in northern MO. for 25 years. He seemed to like it but with the kind of cash he was raking in it would have been hard not to.

Buehler445
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Costco > Sam's

Not an option in Garden City KS Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Garden+City+KS&ie=UTF8&ll=38.848264,-98.613281&spn=4.405827,7.03125&z=7)

Buehler445
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
From what I understand, Wal-Mart (owns Sam's) is pretty tough on compensation. Their margins are so low, they have to watch every penny. Take a good long look at the benefits before you let her take it.

When is that store supposed to open?

Buster's Dad
08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
From what I understand, Wal-Mart (owns Sam's) is pretty tough on compensation. Their margins are so low, they have to watch every penny. Take a good long look at the benefits before you let her take it.

When is that store supposed to open?

Around the first of Oct.

JBucc
08-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Tell her to sneak home one of those free samples in her bra every night. Like every two weeks that's a free meal.

Flustrated
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
A good argument came up in D.C. the other day about this subject. Although the opinions are a little biased, you may enjoy the different perspectives offered.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188264

TrebMaxx
08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
D.C. = quicksand swamp with giant man eating Lemurs. I don't go there.

KcMizzou
08-06-2008, 09:43 PM
D.C. = quicksand swamp with giant man eating Lemurs. I don't go there.They take things way too seriously for my tastes. No room for humor.

Buster's Dad
08-07-2008, 03:40 AM
bump

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Good job if she's in management; crappy if she's not.

Whomever said Wal-Mart/Sam's treats their employees like shit is correct. But in management the compensation gets considerably better.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I have a friend who has worked at Sam's numerous times in the past for part time work. She was compensated $12.00 an hour to work a friggin register. How that is "treating your employees like shit" is beyond me.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:06 AM
I have a friend who has worked at Sam's numerous times in the past for part time work. She was compensated $12.00 an hour to work a friggin register. How that is "treating your employees like shit" is beyond me.

Hmmm... my wife worked there for five years, was at the top of the pay scale for non-management and was getting $10.05. But payment is not the only way a company can treat their employees like shit.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Hmmm... my wife worked there for five years, was at the top of the pay scale for non-management and was getting $10.05. But payment is not the only way a company can treat their employees like shit.
Maybe she is lying. I doubt it though.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Wal-Mart certainly doesn't pay that well.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Wal-Mart certainly doesn't pay that well.

They get paid fairly well for what they do though.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 07:15 AM
They get paid fairly well for what they do though.

Go to walmartsucks.org and read some of the stories.

tooge
08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
No disrespect, but is she a RETARD? If so, she will fit right in with the rest of em at Sam's. Sorry, I hate the entire Walton empire.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Go to walmartsucks.org and read some of the stories.

I have. Most of the time it is a bunch of morons bitching about how they don't get paid enough for manual labor or pushing buttons on a cash register. If you give people like that an outlet to bitch about things like that, they will surely exaggerate and make things seem worst than they actually are. My advice to them would be to get a new job, or even better, an education.

BWillie
08-07-2008, 07:24 AM

No. I worked at Sam's Club for about five years through college when I was 17-23 years old. When I quit I was making $12.25 an hour being a COS (Check-Out Supervisor). To be honest with you, it was a great job. I don't really see how they treat their employees like crap. The benefits aren't great, but 95% of the workers aren't full time so big deal. The job really fine tuned my time management skills, customer service skills, presentation skills, problem solving skills, and even sales skills. I don't know alot about Costco, but people are probably right. They pay their employees too much, at least they used to. I was hearing stories of a cashier or a pizza worker maxing out at like 62 grand. There was an article in a business journal about how they were paying their employees too much to do basic tasks and that it would eventually catch up to them.

Ceej
08-07-2008, 07:28 AM
I currently work at Scam's Club here in the Dirty-Tah.

It's an alright job, I'm hoping for her sake it's a temporary gig.

Things have gone downward since I've been here - which is 4 years. We were spoiled as employees when I started there, now, not so much. But, hey, it's a helluva job while attending school.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Maybe she is lying. I doubt it though.

Not saying that. But I'm talking personal experience. I know what my wife went through. We were married the entire time she worked there.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:43 AM
No. I worked at Sam's Club for about five years through college when I was 17-23 years old. When I quit I was making $12.25 an hour being a COS (Check-Out Supervisor). To be honest with you, it was a great job. I don't really see how they treat their employees like crap. The benefits aren't great, but 95% of the workers aren't full time so big deal. The job really fine tuned my time management skills, customer service skills, presentation skills, problem solving skills, and even sales skills. I don't know alot about Costco, but people are probably right. They pay their employees too much, at least they used to. I was hearing stories of a cashier or a pizza worker maxing out at like 62 grand. There was an article in a business journal about how they were paying their employees too much to do basic tasks and that it would eventually catch up to them.

You were a supervisor. Supervisors make more money. My wife was full time for the entire five years she worked there. She was a good worker, received the max amount raise every year except one. Constantly got excellent marks on reviews.

Again, though... I will say there are a LOT of ways an employer can treat an employee badly that has absolutely nothing to do with their monetary compensation.

Most likely, experiences vary from store to store. My wife was at two, and she'd rank both of them fairly close. The first was in Warrensburg, MO; the second was in Lee's Summit.

Her experiences varied from the job - when she was a cashier, she got treated like absolute crap. She was treated well, but not great, when she was in layaway. Like crap in the deli. The last two years, she was treated well as asset protection.

Deberg_1990
08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Her experiences varied from the job - when she was a cashier, she got treated like absolute crap. She was treated well, but not great, when she was in layaway. Like crap in the deli. The last two years, she was treated well as asset protection.

How did she get treated like crap? Examples?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:47 AM
I will say that for her very short experience with Wal-Mart here in South Carolina, these people are complete and total dicks. Night and freakin' day from her Missouri stores.

Thankfully she was able to get a job as a massage therapist, and loves her job now. Plus, she's making considerably more money and working normal hours.

Ceej
08-07-2008, 07:47 AM
The Wal-Mart Corporation may be the most stingy company out there when it comes to money.

We used to get raises (the name of them slips my mind now), not for reaching our evaluation date, but for doing a good job. They've done away with those. We used to have big company dinners, now they serve us food from the Cafe (VOMIT) or food within the store. We used to get a $25 gift card for being drawn in our safety drawing - now they put it in our check so it gets taxed.

But, again, I'm not bitter. I heart my job, really.

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM

they kept hitting her with salami?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Frankly, I can't remember details, that's why I haven't given examples yet. It's been a couple of years (since she went to asset protection) that she really had any major problems. I'll talk to her sometime today and ask her.

What I remember is a few times her crying, telling me stories, me telling her on numerous occasions she needed to go above the store manager and talk to the district manager and if that didn't work talk to corporate HR, told her numerous times to quit and we'd deal until she got a new job, etc.

Not trying to cop out and make something up. I remember telling her a lot of the time the reason Wal-Mart can treat their employees badly is because they can turn around and in a day have you replaced.

One of the things that I can remember is Wal-Mart's absolute unwillingness to back its employees. Frankly, and I know this is not the popular thought, the customer is NOT always right. And managers and supervisors should back an employee when the customer is wrong. The public cheats the store because the managers there are doormats. JMO.

Ceej
08-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Oh, and for the record - you can return almost literally ANYTHING to Scam's - without the receipt.

We have people buying pools the beginning of the summer - returning them at the end of the summer.

Just a couple of days ago we returned a camera we had not carried at the club in 4 YEARS. LOOOOL. We also returned a 2 year old VCR. Man, apparently this making money thing is hard.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Oh, and for the record - you can return almost literally ANYTHING to Scam's - without the receipt.

We have people buying pools the beginning of the summer - returning them at the end of the summer.

Just a couple of days ago we returned a camera we had not carried at the club in 4 YEARS. LOOOOL. We also returned a 2 year old VCR. Man, apparently this making money thing is hard.

I refer to that as the "Wal-Mart rental plan" - only a deposit's required! What a ****ing joke.

Ceej
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
It doesn't really bother me. Because I've taken advantage of it - ONCE. And so have many other people.

It just bothers me that this corporation is making so much money we continue to return shit - even if we never sold it in the store.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 08:06 AM
It doesn't really bother me. Because I've taken advantage of it - ONCE. And so have many other people.

It just bothers me that this corporation is making so much money we continue to return shit - even if we never sold it in the store.

People will return food that has been eaten.

Ceej
08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
People will return food that has been eaten.

Indeed. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, HAHA.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
During the ice storms last winter, Lowe's had a big sign out front saying they would not take back generators. There were so many people trying to return them when their electricity came back on. ****ing people!!

Sully
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
My uncle was the head of security for most of the Sam's Clubs in northern MO. for 25 years. He seemed to like it but with the kind of cash he was raking in it would have been hard not to.

Had to be a relatively easy job, too.
I mean, ow hard would it be to catch someone stealing 150 lbs of toilet paper?

:D

BWillie
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
You were a supervisor. Supervisors make more money. My wife was full time for the entire five years she worked there. She was a good worker, received the max amount raise every year except one. Constantly got excellent marks on reviews.

Again, though... I will say there are a LOT of ways an employer can treat an employee badly that has absolutely nothing to do with their monetary compensation.

Most likely, experiences vary from store to store. My wife was at two, and she'd rank both of them fairly close. The first was in Warrensburg, MO; the second was in Lee's Summit.

I'm sure it depends on the store, but sup's only make like .50 to 1.00 more depending on what store you are at. It's really not alot more. I've worked two other places full time other than Sam's Club and let me tell you at Sam's they make sure they give you ALL of your breaks. They make sure you clock out for your lunch, and give you your 15 minute breaks that you don't required to clock out for. I've never ever seen my employer care if you take your mandated breaks, they actually pretty much call you lazy if you do. They don't expect you to work over the time you are supposed to, they only ask. In my job they tell you, you have no flexibility. Same thing goes with vacations and it wasn't like that when I worked at Sams.

BWillie
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Haha yep. We had a guy in 2002 that brought a hose back that he bought in 1997 because it had no burst open from wear and tear. He even had the receipt. It's ridiculous. Might as well buy a Plasma TV and keep bringing it back when it loses it's picture. Just leave it on 24 hours a day.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm sure it depends on the store, but sup's only make like .50 to 1.00 more depending on what store you are at. It's really not alot more. I've worked two other places full time other than Sam's Club and let me tell you at Sam's they make sure they give you ALL of your breaks. They make sure you clock out for your lunch, and give you your 15 minute breaks that you don't required to clock out for. I've never ever seen my employer care if you take your mandated breaks, they actually pretty much call you lazy if you do. They don't expect you to work over the time you are supposed to, they only ask. In my job they tell you, you have no flexibility. Same thing goes with vacations and it wasn't like that when I worked at Sams.

They require you to take your breaks and ask you to work overtime because of the numerous lawsuits they got when they didn't. They got their asses sued off a fwe years ago because they were telling people to clock out and work overtime off the clock, work through breaks, etc.

The pay, I'm certain without a doubt, also depends on the market. For instance, your base pay is like $1.50 higher in Lee's Summit than it is in Warrensburg. It's higher in KC than it is in Lee's Summit. Cost of living, and all.

All I can vouch for is that my wife's pay was $10.05 when she was an AP. That's the highest pay grade there is without becoming a supervisor. And that pay was after five years worth of maximum raises.