PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs All-Time Chiefs Team

ChiefsCountry
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
The greatest Chief thread just had me thinking of what would be the ultimate all-time Chiefs team voted on by the members of the Chiefs Planet. I think several positions would be done without a vote - QB, TE, LB, K, and P. The rest could be voted on.

QB - Len Dawson
RB -
RB -
WR - Otis Taylor
WR -
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T -
T -
G -
G -
C -

DE -
DE -
DT -
DT -
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Derrick Thomas
CB -
CB -
S -
S -

K - Jan Stenrud
P - Jerrell Wilson

Mods - we could get a sticky on this maybe.

FAX
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Running back would be difficult. We've had some great ones. Mike Garrett was pretty darn exciting. I'd have to go with Priest, though. Curly would have to be considered at DT.

FAX

Reerun_KC
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Stephane Paige would have to be one of those WR's

Neil Smith at DE, even though he wised up and left martha and Carl....

Reerun_KC
08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Priest for sure...

LT would have to be Roaf

FAX
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Otis for WR. It's too early to bring Bowe into the mix, although he might make it eventually.

Shields at guard. Szott also?

FAX

ChiefsCountry
08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Running back poll is open, go vote - you got 5 days to vote.

ChiefsCountry
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
WR is up as well.

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
QB - Len Dawson
RB - Priest Holmes
RB - Mike Garrett
WR - Otis Taylor
WR -
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T - Willie Roaf
T - John Alt
G - Will Shields
G - Tim Gruhnard
C - Dave Szott

DE - Neil Smith
DE -
DT - Buck Buhcanon
DT - Curly Culp
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Albert Lewis
CB - Emmitt Thomas
S - Deron Cherry
S - Kevin Ross

K - Jan Stenrud
P -

Messier
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
You have to go Ed Budde, and Jim Tyrer on the line. I'd put Smith and Art Still on the DE. Johnny Robinson opposite Cherry. Jerry Mays at DT

milkman
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
QB - Len Dawson
RB - Priest Holmes
RB - Mike Garrett
WR - Otis Taylor
WR -
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T - Willie Roaf
T - John Alt
G - Will Shields
G - Tim Gruhnard
C - Dave Szott

DE - Neil Smith
DE -
DT - Buck Buhcanon
DT - Curly Culp
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Albert Lewis
CB - Emmitt Thomas
S - Deron Cherry
S - Kevin Ross

K - Jan Stenrud
P -

That's not bad TW, but I'd have to put Christian Okoye ahead of Mike Garrett.
Jim Tyrer ahead of John Alt.
EJ Holub at center.
Ed Budde at guard ahead of Szott.

At the holes you left, I'd go with Paige at WR.
Art Still at DE.
Jerrel Wilson at punter.

Upon further review looking at all the changes I made, and the additions, you suck at this.

:D

gblowfish
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
QB - Len Dawson*
RB - Marcus Allen*
RB - Priest Holmes
WR - Otis Taylor
WR - Stephone Paige
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T - Jim Tyrer
T - John Alt
G - Ed Budde
G - Will Shields
C - Tim Grunhard

DE - Jerry Mays
DE - Art Still
DT - Buck Buchanan*
DT - Curley Culp
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Albert Lewis
CB - Emmitt Thomas*
S - Deron Cherry
S - Johnny Robinson

K - Jan Stenrud*
P - Jerrell Wilson

*In Pro Football HOF
Can't go with Neil Smith because of his defection to the Donks.
EJ Holub or Jack Rudnay would be a close second for center. Grunhard played his whole career in KC and blocked for Barry Word, Christian Okoye, Kimball Anders, Marus Allen, Tony Richardson, Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes. All those guys had good stats, thanks in part to Grunnie.

milkman
08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
You have to go Ed Budde, and Jim Tyrer on the line. I'd put Smith and Art Still on the DE. Johnny Robinson opposite Cherry. Jerry Mays at DT

We are almost fully in agreement.

I seriously considered Johnny Robinson, but I thought I'd leave Ross there, but you can't go wrong with either.

But as good as Jerry Mays was, if Buck wasn't the best DT ever for the Chiefs, Curly was.

milkman
08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
QB - Len Dawson*
RB - Marcus Allen*
RB - Priest Holmes
WR - Otis Taylor
WR - Stephone Paige
TE - Tony Gonzalez
T - Jim Tyrer
T - John Alt
G - Ed Budde
G - Will Shields
C - Tim Grunhard

DE - Jerry Mays
DE - Art Still
DT - Buck Buchanan*
DT - Curley Culp
LB - Bobby Bell
LB - Willie Lanier
LB - Derrick Thomas
CB - Albert Lewis
CB - Emmit Thomas*
S - Deron Cherry
S - Johnny Robinson

K - Jan Stenrud*
P - Jerrell Wilson

*In Pro Football HOF

Marcus Allen is one of those players who never played at the level for the Chiefs that everyone seems to believe he did.

He was a mere shadow of the player that played for the Raiders.

Mecca
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Marcus Allen is one of those players who never played at the level for the Chiefs that everyone seems to believe he did.

He was a mere shadow of the player that played for the Raiders.

It's his name...

Messier
08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
We are almost fully in agreement.

I seriously considered Johnny Robinson, but I thought I'd leave Ross there, but you can't go wrong with either.

But as good as Jerry Mays was, if Buck wasn't the best DT ever for the Chiefs, Curly was.

I think you're right on Culp. Also I think Carlos Carson should be at WR with Taylor.

old_geezer
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Johnny Robinson was voted as a member of the ALL-TIME AFL team, but he can't even seem to make a list compiled by Chiefs fans of the all-time Kansas City Chiefs players. I wish some of you young'ins would have had a chance to see him play. Any Chiefs team without him on it is a sham.

milkman
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I think you're right on Culp. Also I think Carlos Carson should be at WR with Taylor.

It's be hard to argue against Carson.

I've always been high on Paige, but Carson is right there with him.

gblowfish
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, if you're talking halfbacks, I'd say Priest did better as a Chief than Marcus.

It should probably read halfback and fullback.
Best Chiefs Fullback was either Tony Richardson, Wendall Hayes or Robert Holmes.

Stephone Paige has more receiving yards (I'm pretty sure) than Carlos Carson, and had one of the top receiving days ever, sure he holds the record for single game yardage for a Chiefs wideout. I'll have to check on that...

On offense, other Tight End who is now forgotten is Fred Arbanas, the best tight end in the old AFL.

Willie Roaf is same argument as Marcus, best years were behind him by the time he got here, but still a great player. Dave Hill was a better Chiefs tackle, if you consider his whole career.

On defense, you could consider Dan Saleamua at DT, he had a nose for the football, think he leads all Chiefs D-Linemen with fumble recoveries. You could also consider Bill Maas, despite all his recent troubles. He was a hell of a nose tackle, good Defensive End too.

Corner you could consider Dale Carter, Kevin Ross, Gary Green. Chiefs have been blessed with good corners. Safety consider Gary Barbaro and Lloyd Burruss. Both were excellent.

gblowfish
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Here's Paige's Wiki entry:

"Stephone Paige (born October 15, 1961 in Slidell, Louisiana), is a former professional American football player who played for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1983 to 1991. A 6'2" wide receiver undrafted free agent from Fresno State University, Paige played 9 years for the Chiefs and his final year with the Minnesota Vikings in 1992. His best year as a pro came during the 1990 season when he caught 65 receptions for 1,021 yards.

On December 22, 1985, Paige had 309 yards receiving yards versus the San Diego Chargers, an NFL record until it was broken in 1989 by Flipper Anderson of the Los Angeles Rams with 336 yards. The record by Anderson carries an asterisk since it was broken in overtime.

Between 1985 to 1991, Paige had at least one reception for 83 consecutive games, a team record until it was broken on January 1, 2006 by tight end Tony Gonzalez>"

So, Paige played his entire 10 year career as a Chief (brownie points), had over 6,000 yards in receiving and 49 TDs with some very bad Chiefs teams.
He's my pick at 2nd wideout.

Carlos Carson was good. But Henry Marshall, Frank Pitts and Chris Burford were all better. Carson wouldn't even be in my top five.

Messier
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Well, if you're talking halfbacks, I'd say Priest did better as a Chief than Marcus.

Best Chiefs Fullback was either Tony Richardson, Wendall Hayes or Robert Holmes.

Stephone Paige has more receiving yards (I'm pretty sure) than Carlos Carson, and had one of the top receiving days ever, sure he holds the record for single game yardage for a Chiefs wideout. I'll have to check on that...

On offense, other Tight End who is now forgotten is Fred Arbanas, the best tight end in the old AFL.

Willie Roaf is same argument as Marcus, best years were behind him by the time he got here, but still a great player. Dave Hill was a better Chiefs tackle, if you consider his whole career.

On defense, you could consider Dan Saleamua at DT, he had a nose for the football, think he leads all Chiefs D-Linemen with fumble recoveries. You could also consider Bill Maas, despite all his recent troubles. He was a hell of a nose tackle, good Defensive End too.

Corner you could consider Dale Carter, Kevin Ross, Gary Green. Chiefs have been blessed with good corners. Safety consider Gary Barbaro and Lloyd Burruss. Both were excellent.

I think James Hasty belongs on the list with all these Cbs.

Messier
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Thinking about them is making me realize that, man, we had a lot of really good CBs over the years.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
i was always a big fan of Kevin ross

Mr. Arrowhead
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
How bout Dave Schott, Tim Grunhard, and for sure Will Shields

milkman
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Really, when you think about it, the Chiefs had a lot of talent in the secondary for the better part of 4 and a half decades.

Then Cunther came along, and he got this to start drafting and signing DBs with specific physical traits, rather than, you know, actually getting players that could actually play.

Kevin Ross was a big time player in a little man's heart.

Drafting Brandon Flowers this year tells me that Cunther's hand is finally out of the cookie jar, so to speak.