PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How rebuilding might go in 2009.

Direckshun
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I want to run this by you folks, even though virtually nobody will read this because it's game day. I'll bump it tomorrow.

We're in a rebuild, so it's important to put things in perspective time after time. How might our rebuilding project continue into next year? This post includes a theoretical Draft, and a theoretical depth chart. I think what it shows is that this team will be improving, just one bit at a time.

I suspect that Clark Hunt will give Herm and Peterson one more year, so those two positions will remain unchanged into 2009.

1. Free agency. But first, what are we going to do in free agency? I will not speculate names, but I will say that, true to their word, the Chiefs will have very limited play in free agency. I suspect they'll pick up about two players at very deep positions in 2009's free agency pool: interior lineman and kicker. They may go fishing at MLB, but I don't like the depth there. Both OG and K are deep, and the Chiefs have enough cap room that they can snag a proven K at Josh Brown type numbers, and/or a rising OG who hits the market.

2. Draft. I've caught flack for this, but I just don't see Tony G remaining with this team into 2009. I suspect he'll be traded during the offseason or even during 2008 for a midround draft pick, giving the Chiefs 8 total picks. Nonetheless, I'll just predict seven picks:

1. WR Crabtree, TT
2. QB Painter, Purdue
3. DE Walker, Illinois
4. MLB Holtzclaw, EM
5. OG Fanaika, ASU
6. OLB Sales, PSU
7. OG Crouch, NC State

To be mostly realistic, I would suspect only two of these rookies to be starters on opening day: Walker at strongside DE and Holtzclaw manning down the Mike. Crabtree, Painter, and Fanaika will all sit behind their incumbents, always breathing down their neck to start. I suspect they could be starters by the end of the season.

3. Depth Chart. I'll go position-by-position here.

Quarterback: Croyle, Thigpen, Painter. Croyle will have had an iffy year, missing several games in addition due to injury. Therefore, the Chiefs believe he is no longer the answer, and will put their new hopes in Curtis Painter. Huard is let go, and Thiggy gets a shot as backup. Croyle remains the starter on a short leash, and Painter will take a year to develop.

Running back: LJ, Charles, Smith, Savage. There's a very low probability that the Chiefs lose LJ, Charles, or Smith, seeing how this trio is a great combination of size, speed, and abilities. Savage is the only question mark, and I love Savage, I just think some other team is going to snatch him before we hold him on our practice squad.

Tight end: Cottam, Merritt, Allan. Having traded off Tony G, Cottam is now our starter, which isn't a problem becuase in addition to his great size, he can be a big target for the QB. Behind him are two of our 7th rounders from years past, Merritt (who'll be our primary blocker), and Allan (more of a receiving type).

Wide receiver: Bowe, Franklin, Crabtree, Darling, Robinson. Bowe continues to hold down the #1 spot, and Franklin gets a shot at the #2 after a year of sitting behind Darling (kept as a backup) and Webb (RFA, won't be been resigned). Crabtree will probably be starting by the end of the year, but who knows.

Offensive line:
LT: Albert, McIntosh
LG: Waters, Fanaika
C: Niswanger, Smith
RG: FA pickup, Crouch
RT: Richardson, Taylor
This assumes, of course, that Albert shows enough promise at LT to remain, and Richardson shows enough promise at RT to get promoted. I suspect we're heading for another disaster on the right side with Jones and McIntosh. I doubt the Chiefs would resign Jones, and McIntosh will finally get to go back to LT, albeit as a backup. We'll take a stopgap perhaps for RG yet again, and Fanaika will wait in the wings while Waters finishes out what might be his last year.

Defensive Line:
Starting: DE Hali, DT Dorsey, DT Boone, DE Walker
Rotational: DE Johnston, DT Tyler, DT McBride
There may be another UDFA in the mix or something, but this should be our working DL. I suspect the Boone experiment at DE will have failed in 2008, and Johnston won't have taken off juuuust yet. Walker is a rather large question mark, but obviously this team won't be able to compete just yet in 2009; they can dedicate a top pick in 2010 to an elite DE if need be. Tank will have improved, but I suspect that Turk will be on his last legs, and on the verge of getting cut.

MLB: Holtzclaw, FA pickup or UDFA. There's a huge question mark around the MLB position this year. I do think the Chiefs will try finding one in FA, but I doubt they'll find anything more than a scrub. Holtzclaw can make it work in the middle, but he may not be starting material yet. Nonetheless, he'd be the best by default and we'll see what he's made out of.

OLB: Johnson & Williams, Rumph, Sales, UDFA.
With the dear departure of Donnie Edwards, Demorrio Williams will finally get his shot to start in KC opposite Johnson and Holtzclaw. Rumph has done nothing but earn raving reviews at camp this year, so I suspect we'll be seeing him next year alongside the new rookie Sales, fighting for playing time. Also, every year the Chiefs always seem to accumulate UDFAs at this position, so it wouldn't surprise me if they continued that trend.

CB: Flowers & Carr, Leggett, Patterson, UDFA or two. Corner will be a welcome change from 2006's slow old fogies. Now the Chiefs are loaded with youth. Carr will have proven himself a worthy heir to Surtain. Leggett and Patterson may be serviceable in reserve time and I definitely think we'll see another UDFA jump on board.

S: Page & Morgan, Pollard, McGraw. I actually think Pollard would be great trade bait, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. He's underachieved, but still boasts a lot of upside if somebody wants to grab for him. With the acquisition of Morgan, who may outplay him in 2008, he may also be expendable. Nonetheless, this is my tentative lineup right now.

Special teams. The kick return game could be finally up to speck for this team after the loss of Dante Hall in 2007. Robinson returning punts and Charles returning kicks may finally give us something to look forward to. Colquitt and Darche will keep doing their jobs -- the major question lies at kicker. The Chiefs were active, but unsuccessful at landing a premier kicker this offseason. Next year, a lot of big names become available, including Stover, Gould, and Kasay. I say the Chiefs drop a big paycheck on one of the younger guys.

SBK
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I hope we have more than 7 picks, the draft is way more fun when you're picking constantly.

I like your breakdown.

rambleonthruthefog
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
i hope by god and all things holy we get crab grab, as tech is my fav college team.

Brianfo
08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Dude, it's the first preseason game and you are talking about next years draft. GAL

Mecca
08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Dude, it's the first preseason game and you are talking about next years draft. GAL

That's what you do when you expect to win less games than the amount of fingers you have.

Direckshun
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
GAL
Let me be the first to welcome you to ChiefsPlanet.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
DierckShun?

Could we be lucky enough to start with a New GM and HC?

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
What the team needs: possibly a QB which would trump everything, 3 down pass rush DE, MLB, assuming Albert pans out - interior OL, WR, OLB.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
DierckShun?

Could we be lucky enough to start with a New GM and HC?
I think you'll get your wish in 2010.

Reerun_KC
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I think you'll get your wish in 2010.
Fair enough,

Very nice article, Thanks for not charging us $99.95!

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Darling will even make the team.

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Barry Richardson looked extremely slow last night

SNR
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
That's what you do when you expect to win less games than the amount of fingers you have.Dude, we're the Chiefs. That's EVERY year.

RustShack
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
We are drafting a DE or OT in the first. LB is next on my list at the moment. Things could change over the season though, and of course it depends on whos on the board when we draft.

DaKCMan AP
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
1. No way TG gets traded. Especially for a mid-round draft pick. Crazy!

2. If this team drafted Crabtree he will start. From day one.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Darling will even make the team.

LOL

There's a lot of misinformed opinions out there on Devard Darling. He'll be out there starting in September.

blueballs
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Though it was just one pre-season game
seeing the difference between Gailey and Solari
it opens the question about the going the same routeon the other side of the ball

KCrockaholic
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
honestly i hope were no longer in rebuilding mode in 2009....by 2009 we should be in "get into the playoffs to give ourselves a shot mode" ...but overall it was an interesting take on 2009

SBK
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
If Brody works out, which I hope he does, I would think DE and MLB would be at or near the top of the list for top needs. But when you put QB, DE and MLB as top needs you've got 3 MAJOR pieces missing.

DaKCMan AP
08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
If Brody works out, which I hope he does, I would think DE and MLB would be at or near the top of the list for top needs. But when you put QB, DE and MLB as top needs you've got 3 MAJOR pieces missing.

It's Brodie for ****s sake! :cuss:

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Positions of need:

WR (2)
RG
RT
DE
MLB
CB
S
K

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 02:02 PM
It's Brodie for ****s sake! :cuss:

Tim Tebow's a bitch

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
If Carr and Flowers pan out I don't think we need a cornerback.

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
If Carr and Flowers pan out I don't think we need a cornerback.

You need at least 3 good CB's

4 would be nice.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
You need at least 3 good CB's

4 would be nice.

We have quality backup cornerbacks in Brack and Dimitri already, IMO.

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
We have quality backup cornerbacks in Brack and Dimitri already, IMO.

Brack isn't shit to be honest. Patterson is worthy of a roster spot though.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 02:32 PM

LOL...Brack was the bloody nickel back last year.

They're both quality players.

SBK
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Tim Tebow's a bitch

+1

KurtCobain
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Very nice post man, I agree with painter and crabtree in the draft.

RustShack
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Except for the fact that Brack is better than Patterson.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
We're going to need a 4th corner, that's for sure, and based on the one game I've seen I don't think Brack is it anymore. He's lost something. Patterson still comes through on special teams, but that's it.

I like Leggett. I think Leggett has a lot of promise.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
LMAO...you are so full of crap, Direckshun. Stop spouting ignorant crap. Just ****ing stop.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM
LMAO...you are so full of crap, Direckshun. Stop spouting ignorant crap. Just ****ing stop.
The only thing I've said that might make me sound ignorant is my suspicion that Tony G (and maybe Pollard) would be trade bait.

Other than that, this is nothing but sheer speculation, which is usually full of shit by definition.

Your attitude has taken a turn for the worse the past few days. Hope we don't see that all season.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
No, seriously. Your opinions on our corners and Devard Darling are complete crap. Brack has lost something? You must have a PhD in football bullshit if you can tell that from one preseason game. ROFL

And Patterson is much, much more than a special teams player.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
No, seriously. Your opinions on our corners and Devard Darling are complete crap. Brack has lost something? You must have a PhD in football bullshit if you can tell that from one preseason game. ROFL

I can't tell that from one preseason game. I'm speculating. Unlike others on this board, I have no problem being wrong.

I hope you're right regarding our corners, anyway. Not that it matters, but both Brack and Pat had a pretty rough outing last night.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
You're not speculating. You're not basing your speculation on ANYTHING. You're just flapping your gums together and spouting ignorance on the Kansas City Chiefs. It's totally wrong and you should be hung.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Clayton, Brackenridge looked AWFUL last night. He should have been dominant against the scrubs of the worst offense of the league, but he was dominated.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
You're not speculating. You're not basing your speculation on ANYTHING. You're just flapping your gums together and spouting ignorance on the Kansas City Chiefs. It's totally wrong and you should be hung.
Outside of the last part there, this has the eerie sound of a Hootie conversation.

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 08:40 PM

you're just a fat pussy who hangs around the bleachers during practice....

take your "know it all" spam to WPI where it belongs, you clueless ****ing hack

there isn't a thread on this board that isn't ruined with your incessant babbling about a) yourself and b) your laughable knowledge of football....

we want to talk about football, we don't want you to interrupt...got it fat ass?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
you're just a fat pussy who hangs around the bleachers during practice....

take your "know it all" spam to WPI where it belongs, you clueless ****ing hack

there isn't a thread on this board that isn't ruined with your incessant babbling about a) yourself and b) your laughable knowledge of football....

we want to talk about football, we don't want you to interrupt...got it fat ass?

I think I just tore my pancreas I laughed so hard.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Talking jackass on the scene!

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Talking jackass on the scene!

I swear to f*ck once football season comes around you morph from a somewhat respectable poster into an internet version of that little bastard from "A Christmas Story" who hangs around with Scott Farkus, with Hootie being Farkus.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I swear to f*ck once football season comes around you morph from a somewhat respectable poster into an internet version of that little bastard from "A Christmas Story" who hangs around with Scott Farkus, with Hootie being Farkus.

Please. I've just had it up to here with Direckshun's bullshit. It's flat out misinformation. The guy was comparing Devard Darling to Samie Parker.

It's nothing personal, D, I like you and always have, you just need a muzzle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Devard Darling is a piece of trash until proven otherwise.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 08:55 PM
LOL...you should have seen the 50-yard bomb he hauled in a few days ago.

He's going to be good. ;)

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Please. I've just had it up to here with Direckshun's bullshit. It's flat out misinformation. The guy was comparing Devard Darling to Samie Parker.

It's nothing personal, D, I like you and always have, you just need a muzzle.
I don't take it personally, hell I'm just happy to talk football. Even with Hootie, for god's sakes.

For the record, I wasn't comparing Darling to Parker in ability (not yet, anyway...). I just believe that, like Parker for the Broncos, Darling was a FA acquisition that will not produce anything significant for this team.

Want some nutty predictions? Let's go.

What was Parker's average the last three years? About 30-35 receptions a year? 2 TD? That sounds about like what I'm expecting out of Darling, not much else. But it's still very, very early...

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 09:00 PM
What was Parker's average the last three years? About 30-35 receptions a year? 2 TD? That sounds about like what I'm expecting out of Darling, not much else. But it's still very, very early...

Look, I'm not even talking about statistics. Darling is bigger, probably plays faster than Parker, has better hands and he's not a freaking wimp. There's a huge difference between Samie Parker and Devard Darling. Parker is TRASH. Darling has an opportunity to be a good player.

For you to compare the two was ridiculous. You pulled it out of your ass. If you had seen Darling at camp, you'd be singing a different tune. Now he doesn't get a ball thrown his way in one preseason game and you continue the bullshit, with a side order of OUR YOUNG CORNERS SUCK.

Just stop.

Mecca
08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
LOL...you should have seen the 50-yard bomb he hauled in a few days ago.

He's going to be good. ;)

Camp and practice are not the same thing as real games.....I don't care if he's a practice hero until he does something in a game he's a scrub...

And for the record Brackenridge got raped last night by numerous dudes no one has ever heard of.

Oh and this team has to draft DE's preferably more than 1, we may have the worst pass rush in all the league.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Look, I'm not even talking about statistics. Darling is bigger, probably plays faster than Parker, has better hands and he's not a freaking wimp. There's a huge difference between Samie Parker and Devard Darling. Parker is TRASH. Darling has an opportunity to be a good player.

For you to compare the two was ridiculous. You pulled it out of your ass. If you had seen Darling at camp, you'd be singing a different tune. Now he doesn't get a ball thrown his way in one preseason game and you continue the bullshit, with a side order of OUR YOUNG CORNERS SUCK.

Just stop.
Our young corners don't suck. I love Flowers (on the field) and Carr. I think they have assloads of potential. I also like Leggett. My faith's only faltered in Pattasan and Brackenfro. Let's not get carried away.

I'm just using the best available information I have out here. I don't exactly have a lot to go on, just on what people have said about Darling throughout his career and what people are saying about him now, and of course the one quarter I've seen. The buzz has been pretty weak with him (except of course from your fine publication).

I'd be happy to be wrong. I'd also like you to make a prediction of how many catches, or yards, or TDs he'll be responsible for.

Mecca
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Patterson and Brackenridge are basically 5th corners, the last guy who makes a team, plays special teams maybe is capable of playing safety in a pinch but preferably never plays....

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Patterson and Brackenridge are basically 5th corners, the last guy who makes a team, plays special teams maybe is capable of playing safety in a pinch but preferably never plays....
I like Pattasan as a 5th. I thought Brack played well at the nickel last year but I guess he's been superseded by Carr. I don't know what he has to offer us at this juncture, but I don't know who else would play...

1. Surtain
2. Flowers
3. Carr

Then what? The buzz right now is around Leggett, and after watching one game yesterday I tend to agree. Patterson's been great at gunner on punt coverage. Other than that, I haven't been too enthused. Brack struggled. Poole didn't show much. Barksdale got trampled...

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Dude, Leggett was getting raped in that game...

Mecca
08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Dude, Leggett was getting raped in that game...

No worse than Brackenridge was.....

The DL starters to backups and all the backup LB's aswell looked horrendous.

Ebolapox
08-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Tim Tebow's a bitch

wait-- his a-bitch (main ho), or his a bitch?

Ebolapox
08-09-2008, 07:49 AM

ya know, coming from a guy that writes for WPfrickin'I, this is goddamned rich.