PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs About the Chiefs Defense

alanm
08-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Just got done watching the replay. They were really pathetic last evening. They're supposed to be the strength of the team. They were terrible. Line play sucked, LB's sucked
They played tentative and soft. I don't think Gunther game planed much this week. Nor should he have, but the base defenses weren"t even executed with any kind of consistency. Words can't describe the tackling or lack there of. :shake:

The offense looked much further along and it should of been the other way around.

Our WR's are better on the whole than I thought,

JuicesFlowing
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
The D looked pretty bad. If they don't stop the run, then it's going to be an even longer season than expected.

Mecca
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
We have no pass rush and in a cover 2 that is death.

B_Ambuehl
08-08-2008, 01:10 AM
What disappointed me the most is none of those young defensive ends look like NFL football players. I had my hopes up for Brian Johnston but he doesn't have it.

So were definitely gonna have to live with Boone at LDE.

TrickyNicky
08-08-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking the tandem of Orton and Grossman really made our pass-d look somewhat competent.

Basileus777
08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
We have the worst dline in the league. Our defense is not going to be any good.

alanm
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
What disappointed me the most is none of those young defensive ends look like NFL football players. I had my hopes up for Brian Johnston but he doesn't have it.

I'm waiting to see Trevor Johnson. But that's just the Husker homer talking. But he's been injured and I don't recall if he even played tonight.
And Mecca is right. There was absolutely no push from the Dlinemen. Not to mention they were getting stood up and pushed out of the way in the running game.
The defense sure wasn't ready to play tonight

Mecca
08-08-2008, 01:22 AM
We have the worst dline in the league. Our defense is not going to be any good.

We're going to have to draft an end, even if Dorsey is everything we think we need ends badly.

Swazey
08-08-2008, 01:36 AM
I had my hopes up for Brian Johnston but he doesn't have it.

B. Johnston flashed potential... I was watching him closely. Herm needs to light a fire under dat ass and we might have ourselves a steal.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 01:37 AM
B. Johnston flashed potential... I was watching him closely. Herm needs to light a fire under dat ass and we might have ourselves a steal.

He sucked at training camp.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 01:38 AM

If Trevor Johnson gets on the field you might like him - he's hurt right now. Jason Parker has some game, too. Don't know what he did tonight.

kcchiefsus
08-08-2008, 02:46 AM

So because he doesn't excel in his first NFL game he doesn't have it?

kcchiefsus
08-08-2008, 02:47 AM
He sucked at training camp.

He's been injured, what do you expect?

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 02:49 AM
He's been injured, what do you expect?

He played some, got injured, then played some more.

Comparisons to Jared Allen are absurd. That guy got a sack in his first preseason game if I recall correctly.

KCUnited
08-08-2008, 06:33 AM
This defense is going to Robinson bad this year. 200 + on the ground bad. Drop back, take a nap, look off 4 recievers, dump off to the RB for a TD bad.

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 06:35 AM
This defense is going to Robinson bad this year. 200 + on the ground bad. Drop back, take a nap, look off 4 recievers, dump off to the RB for a TD bad.

Oh no no no!! Don't drink the paint, honey.

Buehler445
08-08-2008, 06:41 AM
I thought they looked like shit also. And if they would have played a decent offensive team, it would have been worse. Chicago looked like shit on a stick but still put points up. Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
No push in the middle and the LB's sucked. Dorsey should fix the push in the middle but the LB? We are hosed until next year.

Now I can see why Gunther was coaching the LB's in training camp. He's trying to teach them up to be a respectable NFL corp.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2008, 07:01 AM

My guess is he wont even make the team.

Lzen
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM

No they won't. They will be in the top half of the league.

Reerun_KC
08-08-2008, 08:01 AM
We have no pass rush and in a cover 2 that is death.

QFT.

We get zero pressure our of out line, Letting Allen go will set this defense back from middle of the pack to mid to upper 20's....

Its kind of stupid to run Dungy's Defense with zero personnel to run it... But such is Herm

Reerun_KC
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
How? With out a serious push from the front 4... this will be the new era of the tampa 2 _efense

Hog Farmer
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
You guys crack me up. The first preseason game. The bears went to the SB 2 years ago. We won. We suck. We suck .We suck. We suck. We suck .

FAX
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Things will improve. Edwards didn't play (I don't think) and Dorsey was sidelined. Maybe Tamba will figure out the RDE position. He has the speed. I like the young corners, so far. Who knows?

This is what you ask for when you start young players. One week, we'll look good and the next week guys will get beheaded on the bus ride home.

FAX

eazyb81
08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I've read through this thread a few times now and still am not sure if you guys are being sarcastic.

It's a f'n preseason game, and the first one at that! I thought we had some better football IQ here on the Planet than to come to any sort of conclusion on anything after one damn preseason game.

dirk digler
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Herm should have done to the D what he did with the O. Get rid of the coach and find someone who can design a D around who we have in players.

RockChalk
08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
No joke...I've read through the first post in this thread a few times and have jumped to the conclusion that he was watching last years highlights of the Cornhuskers

Overreaction much to a friggin' preseason game? I think so

FAX
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Fiddlesticks, naysayers!!! May the Muse of Stinky Poo clog your cistern.

How long has it been since the Chiefs put a decent friggin' offensive drive together? 3 years? Jesus.

FAX

Reerun_KC
08-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Herm should have done to the D what he did with the O. Get rid of the coach and find someone who can design a D around who we have in players.
Not going to happen.... Herm isnt about to let eveyone know he readly dont know shit about defense either...

Herma 2 Defense baby!

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM

bingo

Gunther is retarded

Redrum_69
08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
you guys are incourageable

its the preseason...everyone knows you dont want to show all your N-E-S-S during the preseason.

When the regular season starts, thats when the chiefs will be using their seven differents kinds of smoke!

Demonpenz
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
why do we have a Dtackle playing D end. that was absurd

dirk digler
08-08-2008, 08:53 AM

Gunther is a genius.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh noes we suck.

DeepSouth
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
You guys crack me up. The first preseason game. The bears went to the SB 2 years ago. We won. We suck. We suck .We suck. We suck. We suck .

No kidding. The Bears scored a whole three points in the first half. I was pretty pleased.

Rausch
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
No kidding. The Bears scored a whole three points in the first half. I was pretty pleased.

Ditto's.

And the important thing to remember is that the Bears are a dominating 3rd and long defense. 3rd and long vs. the Bears is a lock-punt.

We converted at least 2 on the first drive alone.

The talent displayed should point to this team leaning towards the pass.

And it will. People will fall down screaming that we'll be uber-conservative and play-not-2-lose but it won't happen. Chan is all about the sleeper hit. THe seductive move.

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
THe seductive move.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/15/nickswardson.jpeg

BigChiefFan
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I have to disagree. We held them to five yards rushing in the first half-how is that bad?

Rausch
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/15/nickswardson.jpeg

Perfect!

Now place Chan's jowls and displeased attempt at a grin over dude's head and you've got a wiNNAR!

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Perfect!

Now place Chan's jowls and displeased attempt at a grin over dude's head and you've got a wiNNAR!

Oh!

http://www.aimeeanaya.com/news/images/NS04-STUP-fa02wi03.jpg

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 11:04 AM
We converted at least 2 on the first drive alone.
5 for 5.

ChiefGator
08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
It's not how we start the season (and sure as hell not how we start the first preseason game), it's how we END the season that matters. You know how many rookies and first-time starters were out there today? Our secondary is YOUNG, and sometimes looked good. Sometimes looked bad. Hopefully they learn.

I was pretty happy with the first half.

Depth is paper thin, but depth is hardly a luxury of a crappy team, rebuilding with youth.

BigCatDaddy
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I thought Turk looked pretty good getting around the corner once or twice. I say play him at DE and put Boone back in with the DT rotation.

Jawshco
08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

I actually thought Boone was the least of our worries. He seemed like the only one on the D-line getting any pressure. Hali wasn't even close. Tank and Edwards, weren't great and the LB's were completely bad- other than a couple good plays by DJ. Williams doesn't look better than Edwards to me. I know Edwards is old, but I don't think he's lost his job based Williams' preformance last night.

The D backs were okay. Surtain's loose coverage annoyed me, but the young guys Page and Flowers looked pretty decent.

Jawshco
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I thought Turk looked pretty good getting around the corner once or twice. I say play him at DE and put Boone back in with the DT rotation.

Was it Turk that got credited for the sack? I agree, Turk also looked more effective than Hali. Beware, that tall grass I guess. The good news is that the Bears do a have a decent O-line, and that's something they haven't had the oppurtunity to practice against yet. We can only hope that they get better before the opener.

R&GHomer
08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I have to disagree. We held them to five yards rushing in the first half-how is that bad?

I thought they played pretty well in the first half. What, do people think we left our starters in the entire game. WTF over... it was the first preseason game with a shit pot full of young players.

Rausch
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I actually thought Boone was the least of our worries. He seemed like the only one on the D-line getting any pressure. Hali wasn't even close.

That's crack talk.

He was the same old Hali though. Right there about 3 feet from the QB on darned near every passing down.

He just flat out doesn't seem strong enough to finish a rush move. He knows where he has to be and what he has to do he's...just...guuuuuuhn.....not quite there.

Jawshco
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
No push in the middle and the LB's sucked. Dorsey should fix the push in the middle but the LB? We are hosed until next year.

Now I can see why Gunther was coaching the LB's in training camp. He's trying to teach them up to be a respectable NFL corp.

I was actually excited about Gunther coaching the LB's because of his success with the Titans, but now I'm not so sure. The LB's looked worse last night than I've seen them in a long while. I wasn't impressed by Thomas or Williams, and even DJ wasn't as impressive as he usually is.

But all that being said...it was only 3 points. Hopefully next week will be better. Maybe we'll see if Harris and Edwards can do any better.

RustShack
08-08-2008, 11:24 AM
We scored 24 points and our defense or returners didn't score any? Whats this world coming too!?

RustShack
08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I think Hali needs to be moved back to LE.

BigCatDaddy
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I think Hali needs to be moved back to LE.

I think that's probably a good idea. Let's see what the Turk can do a RE.

CrazyPhuD
08-08-2008, 11:50 AM

they will be top 40, but I'm not sure how much higher. Depends upon how Dorsey and Flowers develop.

alanm
08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
No joke...I've read through the first post in this thread a few times and have jumped to the conclusion that he was watching last years highlights of the Cornhuskers

Overreaction much to a friggin' preseason game? I think so
I don't think so. Getting no pass rush and terrible tackling, that wasn't what was expected. It's called the basics. I graded them a D for effort and effect last night. :shake:

Cormac
08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
For one second can anybody look at the positives?

We are seriously REBUILDING people. It's what most fans wanted. Of course things are going to be bad. Probably next year too. As long as we can find things that are improving, players that deserve to be there, and up-and-comers we're heading the right direction. We were a 4-12 team last year and will be a 4-12 this year too. Of course our D is going to be bad. 4-12 teams usually have crappy defenses. By the way our O is bad too. Let's be honest. We'll probably be a 6 or 7 win team in 2009 - if we're lucky. And then if we can ****-can this 9th rate "coaching staff" *cough cough* we might actually become a playoff caliber team again.

Cottam, Charles, Price, Franklin, Croyle, Sippio.....all guys who did good things last night. If a few of them stick on the roster and impress, then we have a lot less drafting to do next year. Then let the cycle continue another draft or two and we might be there.

As for writing off rookies who didn't "show flashes" in their first PRESEASON games.....I guess there has to be a reason to have Ambuehl around.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I was pretty happy with DJ's play, but that's expected

That guy can sniff out a screen like nobody's business

MOhillbilly
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
the d line was spotty but i didnt think they played terrible.

picasso
08-08-2008, 02:46 PM
One thing to keep in mind is we had our third string line up on offense and defense against there 2nd stringers in the third when they made all of those point to take a lead.
What I was impressed with was the bears third string QB Haney. He was good.
Thigpen, I liked his speed but he throws the ball a little low. He does have a nice change up on the speed though just a little wild with it.

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
For one second can anybody look at the positives?

We are seriously REBUILDING people. It's what most fans wanted. Of course things are going to be bad. Probably next year too. As long as we can find things that are improving, players that deserve to be there, and up-and-comers we're heading the right direction. We were a 4-12 team last year and will be a 4-12 this year too. Of course our D is going to be bad. 4-12 teams usually have crappy defenses. By the way our O is bad too. Let's be honest. We'll probably be a 6 or 7 win team in 2009 - if we're lucky. And then if we can ****-can this 9th rate "coaching staff" *cough cough* we might actually become a playoff caliber team again.

Cottam, Charles, Price, Franklin, Croyle, Sippio.....all guys who did good things last night. If a few of them stick on the roster and impress, then we have a lot less drafting to do next year. Then let the cycle continue another draft or two and we might be there.

yup

Rick
08-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for saving me from having to write it out.

HemiEd
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I kept seeing #52 Kuale, in on plays, flashing. I found myself saying, I hope they don't try and sneek him onto the practice squad. Anyone else notice this guy?

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 03:24 PM
IMO, and I hold this one strongly, Donnie Edwards is still the anchor of our D. I recall the game he went out in the 2nd quarter last season, that game was like two entirely different teams before and after.
And all indications are that Dorsey will be a beast.
On those two premises I'm not going to make any pronouncements on this D until both are settled into the lineup.

RustShack
08-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I think our starting line should go McBride-Doresy-Tank-Hali... Hali just doesn't belong at RE, and Boone should be rotating in at DT, maybe even SOME DE.. but hopefully Johnston and some other guys can pick up thier game. Either way we need to bring in a DE next year.

B_Ambuehl
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM

So because he doesn't excel in his first NFL game he doesn't have it?

What I mean is you can't coach athletic ability and first step explosiveness. He may be a smart player but I watched him every snap he was in there and he doesn't have the athletic ability needed to be an effective pass rusher in the NFL. He might be a backup but I'd be surprised if he's on the team longer than a year.