PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Seriously, how did we look last night?

Carlota69
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I live in Vegas, so absolutely no coverage of the game, Sporscenter didn't tell me shit and I cant go through 55 pages of a official ChiefsVsBears thread.

Did Croyle look lost? LJ back to form? Defense? Rookies? Did we suck vienna sausages or Big Royal Weenies?

DaKCMan AP
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Go to www.kcchiefs.com and watch Brodie Croyle Highlights, Game Highlights and the Post-Game Recap. It'll give you an overall idea.

CrazyPhuD
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
In short...inconsistent but with potential. At least on Offense

D is a big question mark.

Rookies looked good on O, franklin, Cottam and charles all made nice contributions. It's a young team, if they have it all together the O could compete with anyone...but also could lose to anyone. The D is the big unknown. We need dorsey in to find out if our DL is really that bad.

We'll have a much better idea by preseason game 3. They're young and still adjusting.

Short Leash Hootie
08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok...

The first offensive series was beautiful...the misdirections, unpredictable playcalling and Brodie's improvisational skills were all on display, as well as QB audibles...and rookie Will Franklin made a great catch, Cottam sold a great bootleg and made a 15 yard catch...and Charles made a great juke move to pick up a 1st down on 3rd and long with a checkdown catch...

LJ found several holes and would've had pretty respectable numbers had he not been stuffed for a 6 yard loss on one run...he did miss a block or two, didn't pick up an audible and simply dropped the ball on one handoff but recovered...he looked rusty, but when he was actually running the ball his cuts were good and his speed was there, he had bigger holes to run through then he did all of last year and ran for a nifty touchdown on a draw play 3rd and goal...the first drive was the best offensive series we've had since Herm was hired.

Defense was lackluster at best...there were absolutely no QB pressures, and we played the ol' bend don't break, give up 8 yards a pop rather than 25...we didn't stop the run and our scrubs were even worse. We didn't show many blitzes so I just think we were playing base all game but had we been playing an offense that wasn't absolutely pathetic, they would've scored at will...the Bears backup LT kept Hali in check, which is a bad sign IMO...but blah, I was so excited about our first offensive series that I didn't really care, plus Dorsey was out...Pollard and Page seemed to play decently enough, and DJ made a few great plays...but Pat Thomas absolutely stinks. We might as well put Donnie in the middle and play our two fast guys DJ and DeMorrio...

I was impressed with Cottam, Franklin (especially), Charles on offense...I think those three are all going to make significant contributions this season...I think Franklin will have more receiving yards than Darling...maybe even Cottam too...Darling will probably be our #2 but Brodie seemed to have real chemistry with Franklin out there...he made two real tough catches and held on to the ball while being hit...

Bowe made a tremendous 'how did he do that!' catch that was incomplete because he was out of bounds...but that dude is a baller!

As for our 2nd unit...Maurice Price was awesome...he looked really good. Our offensive line pretty much blows but Chan did a great job with bootlegs and getting the QB out of the pocket...both Thigpen and Croyle are pretty friggin' mobile...which is a great change from Damon Huard.

I don't know, I'm optimistic, but I'm excited...I have a little hope now for this team this season...offensively, that 1st series was amazing.

(I won't mention our 2nd series where we were penalized three times and sacked once...)

Extra Point
08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Sippio's TD catch was great. Too bad he was ignored last year. Would be nice to see the cousins on the field for a few plays.

Carlota69
08-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Awesome! thanks for the input.

Sportscenter did this '2008 Questions for the Chiefs--Can Croyle make an impact?" and then never showed him do squat. Bascially they didnt even address their own question.

They just showed LJ get the TD and then focused on the bears.

So thanks for the insight into the game last night. And I will go watch highlights as soon as I can...

CrazyPhuD
08-08-2008, 11:56 AM
If you get NFLN they will show the game again I think.

Farzin
08-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Like most poeple said, the first drive in which all the first string players played, was awesome. Croyle got the ball to a lot of the rookie receivers and a few of the other players and eventually lead into an LJ TD. Savage, our other RB, also looked decent in the 2nd half. He had great blocks ahead of him, but he didn't use them as well.

Price was the key receiver in our 2nd unit after receiving a pass from Damon Huard to fight off a couple defenders to find the endzone. Bobby Sippio also stepped up in the 4the QTR catch and like Price, he broke off a few defenders to get into the endzone.

Thigpen had an INT when a defender on the Bears got infront of Price (I think) and got a few yards.

Defensively, not so good. Maybe we'll find out with Dorsey.

Overall, good job by the offense, the defense has some question marks, but hopefully those will be erased with Dorsey.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Their youth showed but I would rate it a fairly solid pre-season game for the Chiefs.

D-line needs some intensity to fill the void left by you know who.

The first drive was definately a thing of beauty. Croyle had some time to throw which was new. And AUDIBLES! YESSSS!

The depth we have at WR & RB makes me want to jump for joy.

StcChief
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
there is hope....

Demonpenz
08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
huard looked good corodie no so good

allen_kcCard
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I didn't like what I saw on defense, but I still think they have it in them. To me they looked a little like a boxer that can't use thier best punches and weren't sure how else to hit somebody. They need to tune up thier tackling, and the offense needs to worry more about what the rest of the defense is up to so that the line can get thier push.

I think once other teams have to start accounting for blitz pickups (or disguised non blitzes) Dorsey is in the middle getting some more doubles, and everyone else in the line settles in, then the pass rush will look a lot better. Hali hasn't been getting a lot of work with that frankenstien issue with his nose going on, but I still think he will do okay on that side once everything else comes into place.

CrazyPhuD
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

ROFL Huard needs his Topps NFL card photo to be the fetal position.

Rausch
08-08-2008, 12:12 PM
We looked like the beginning of something...

Chief Chief
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Ok...
(I won't mention our 2nd series where we were penalized three times and sacked once...)

Yeah, thanks for not mentioning that. :doh!:STFU:banghead:

Priest31kc
08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Actually the 2nd and 3rd string O Lines were pretty damn good. Unlike last preseason where we went 3 and out every series because the line was so bad. They actually gave Thigpen ALOT of time, notice we went downfield because we had protection, and the game winning TD was down the field for a 27 yd. TD. It was nice to see our QBs not sacked in 2 seconds, and we could finally see what our WRs have. And they looked really good, i think its safe to say our WR core will be better than last year.

Short Leash Hootie
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I knew Solari was bad...but wow, he makes Chan Gailey look like, I don't even know...a damn good football coach, that's for sure.

Like I said...that first series was the best offensive series we've had since Herm Edwards was hired.

And good ol' Hootie was content with a FG once we hit 3rd and 15 before Croyle unleashed a beautiful throw to Franklin and Franklin held on even after getting popped by the safety for 25 yards...

I was Hermified...but that 1st series showed me the light once again.

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM
The tackling was bullshit last night.

Everyone is going to run up our ass if that doesn't improve.

There was NO excuse for the Wolfe check down pass for the TD. Brackenridge needs to be cut simply because of his performance last night. Brutal. Morgan didn't play well either. The LB's at the second level mis read and over ran plays. Pretty much looked like shit all over on defense.

dirk digler
08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with pretty what everyone else has stated but the one thing that I took notice of is how much quicker this team is compared to years past. We are young but we will able to make some plays just because we are alot quicker on the field.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
The LB's at the second level mis read and over ran plays.

Gun hasnt really fixed anything in four years. The talent is better perhaps, but i hestitate to say he actually fixed anything.

J Diddy
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM

Everyone is going to run up our ass if that doesn't improve.

There was NO excuse for the Wolfe check down pass for the TD. Brackenridge needs to be cut simply because of his performance last night. Brutal. Morgan didn't play well either. The LB's at the second level mis read and over ran plays. Pretty much looked like shit all over on defense.

I thought the first team did fine

RustShack
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
First team held them to 3, thats not bad. It does sound like there is still a lot to be improved though. I think when Doresy comes back Tank should be moved over to Ron Edwards spot and just throw Harris back in the lineup over Thomas.

Simply Red
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
We looked like the beginning of something...

Well that's good I suppose.

Chief Faithful
08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
So many are down on the defense, but they did a much better job of filling gaps on run defense. I think they will be better against the run, but pass rush may not be as good as last year.

It looks to me like this years weak spots will be RG, DE & MLB.

Rausch
08-08-2008, 12:56 PM
So many are down on the defense, but they did a much better job of filling gaps on run defense. I think they will be better against the run, but pass rush may not be as good as last year.

IIRC we gave up 3 pts in the first half.

3 pts.

That's not even all the starters...

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM

You can add safety and CB to that list, especially if we continue to NOT have a pass rush thats worth a shit.

Sure-Oz
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
1st team defense held them to 3 cause their offense sucks balls

What is the real difference on the d-line this year, just hali in a diff position and allen missing? Add Dorsey we should get pressure i hope

RustShack
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
We just need linemen on both sides... that will upgrade every postion.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 01:38 PM
1st string O didn't look half bad. Sippio was great late in the game IMO. Thigpen had a couple good tosses, but I felt he looked like sh*t for the most part.

As far as our defense you guys have talked about the lack of qb pressure and poor tackling, but did anyone else notice the constant wide open receivers in the flats ? It looked to me like for all 4 quarters that every time da Bears threw to the flats they had a wide open guy. Appeared to be more of a scheme issue than personell to me, as they were WIDE OPEN in the flats all night ?

When they didn't throw to the flats we should've had 4 or 5 coverage sacks but the front four couldn't get past the line of scrimmage.

Blindside58
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
1. We didn't crap our pants
2. Preseason D is so vanilla, you hardly ever see QB pressure.
3. We won a preseason game...unlike last year
3. We will be able to defend the bootleg since we will practice against it.
4. Cornerback play looked promising
5. We appear to have a real OC unlike the past

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
1. We didn't crap our pants
2. Preseason D is so vanilla, you hardly ever see QB pressure.
3. We won a preseason game...unlike last year
3. We will be able to defend the bootleg since we will practice against it.
4. Cornerback play looked promising
5. We appear to have a real OC unlike the past

Couldn't agree more about the bootleg. Denver's offense might sh*t their pants if they bootleg and counter us a few times and it doesn't go for huge gains each time !

Pestilence
08-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree with pretty what everyone else has stated but the one thing that I took notice of is how much quicker this team is compared to years past. We are young but we will able to make some plays just because we are alot quicker on the field.

That is one thing that I noticed (minus Surtain). In years past I used to watch the Chiefs play and think that they looked slow as hell compared to the other teams. For the first time....it actually looked like they could keep up with teams, speed wise, last night.

J Diddy
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
That is one thing that I noticed (minus Surtain). In years past I used to watch the Chiefs play and think that they looked slow as hell compared to the other teams. For the first time....it actually looked like they could keep up with teams, speed wise, last night.

i thought surtain looked like he was stuck in a puddle of quicksand all night.

Pestilence
08-08-2008, 02:05 PM

The dude is slow and old. I'm assuming the only reason he didn't cut like all of the other older players is 1. He makes too much and 2. We needed some form of veteran leadership in the secondary.

Jawshco
08-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Yes, it was. And it was exactly what Cunningham was harping about in camp- they're not wrapping up. These guys are going for the big hits and interceptions rather than making solid tackles and batting down the passes. The Bears' first TD should have been batted down, and I saw several big hits that didn't end up as tackles (however, Flowers did lay a really nice hit on a Bears WR that popped the ball out of what would have been a pretty big completion - he was definitely impressive for a rookie).

Maybe it's nerves, but that was horrible Bear's offense last night. Gun still has time to get through to these guys, but so far he hasn't. Hopefully it improves in a hurry.

Jawshco
08-08-2008, 02:10 PM

That's not even funny as a joke. Huard looked like a statue in the pocket, meanwhile Brodie is making great passes in tight coverage, moving around and making things happen.

Still we got to keep Huard. Even as a statue he looked like a decent back up. Thigpin doesn't look like he belongs in the NFL.

Carlota69
08-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Well it sounds like we may miss JA this year. Dorsey didnt play, right?

Sure-Oz
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Dorsey will play next saturday, he wasn't in.

kstater
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Huard was awesome/KCJohnny.

BigVE
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Well it sounds like we may miss JA this year. Dorsey didnt play, right?

There was almost NO QB pressure, YES we will miss JA. Dorsey can only get so much pressure up the middle but if he garners double teams then maybe it will free up Hali or somebody.

One note that I didn't see mentioned was Croyle's audibles...he seemed to do a nice job, he looked in control and not scared like last year. It was nice to see them ADJUST at the line instead of trying to run up the middle against an obvious 8 man front or something.

sedated
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM

aren't they going to move him to nickel?

gblowfish
08-08-2008, 02:43 PM
The Good:
All running backs look competent
Better on special teams
Nobody got hurt

The Bad
Too many penalties on offense
No pass rush
2nd string line sucks out loud
We have Damon Huard.

Bearcat
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
One note that I didn't see mentioned was Croyle's audibles...he seemed to do a nice job, he looked in control and not scared like last year. It was nice to see them ADJUST at the line instead of trying to run up the middle against an obvious 8 man front or something.

That is very exciting news... Yeah, 'it's just preseason', but there were times last year where he would basically drop back 2 steps and spike the ball because he knew the play wasn't going to work, but there was nothing he could do about it.

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Just finished watching the game for the first time.

Thoughts:

Anyone who says Croyle didn't look good doesn't have an objective bone in their body. Christ, I would have taken just getting past midfield on the first drive as success - instead, we drive 81 yards in 16 plays and take half of the first quarter doing it.

Offensive line didn't look all that bad. The penalties HAVE to stop though.

D-Line was atrocious. From starters to 3rd stringers.

Players that impressed: Croyle, Savage, Cottam, the WR corp and Barth.

Players that disappointed: Morgan, D. Williams, entire DL corp.

sedated
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Nobody got hurt

pretty much the only thing I ever look for in the exhibition games

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
How were the kickoffs?

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
How were the kickoffs?

Barth was MUCH better than Novak.

And I had this horrible deja-vu after we took the lead with a minute to go, that the bears would run the KO back for a TD.

Novak did his part, by driving the KO to the TEN YARD LINE.

:cuss:

Simply Red
08-08-2008, 03:28 PM
wait, I thought Croyle looked good, I'm totally getting conflicting info.

???

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Anyone who says Croyle didn't look good doesn't have an objective bone in their body. Christ, I would have taken just getting past midfield on the first drive as success - instead, we drive 81 yards in 16 plays and take half of the first quarter doing it.

And even if it was preseason, you KNOW the Bears had no intention of looking that bad on their first defensive stand at home. Not with what defense means to that city.

I'm surprised the Chicago commentators didn't suggest bringing back DIH-kah.

Simply Red
08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
And even if it was preseason, you KNOW the Bears had no intention of looking that bad on their first defensive stand at home. Not with what defense means to that city.

I'm surprised the Chicago commentators didn't suggest bringing back DIH-kah.

lol

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
wait, I thought Croyle looked good, I'm totally getting conflicting info.

???
He did. Made good throws. Made good decisions. Ran for first down. Changed the plays on the line. Essentially 6-8, if you remove Franklin falling down and Bowe running too deep of a route. Bottom line: 80 yd drive. What else can we ask for?

Simply Red
08-08-2008, 03:41 PM
He did. Made good throws. Made good decisions. Ran for first down. Changed the plays on the line. Essentially 6-8, if you remove Franklin falling down and Bowe running too deep of a route. Bottom line: 80 yd drive. What else can we ask for?

We'll see. My buddy who's a Alabama fan said he wasn't even a good college qb. Anything can happen though, i think that is apparent...

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 03:44 PM
He is flat out wrong. Croyle owns about every Bama QB record.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
1. First string offense has a lot of promise. Hard to tell if Herb Taylor or the right side was up to the job because Gailey's playcalls didn't trust them at all. Croyle and Thigpen have proven to be effective when mobile. When Huard comes in, the offense reverts to 2007. That's not coincidence, and it leads me to believe that pass protection will still be a problem.

2. All RBs look solid, almost all WRs looked solid, too. Only significant WR I was not impressed with was Darling, who was invisible.

3. I think Lovie and Herm had a gentleman's agreement to not blitz each other's QB. I don't think I saw a single blitz.

4. LJ is going to LOVE the ZBS. The guy gets to crunch linebackers, now.

5. DJ looked good, but all other linebackers failed to play the right gap or play tough. Only DJ made a truly powerful play.

6. Our secondary was schooled several times over, but not without promise. Maurice Leggett was beat on two obvious plays (one of them being a TD), but only because he made minor, correctable mistakes. His coverage was otherwise pretty strong. Morgan got beat a couple times as well, but his speed is undeniable. Page needs to wrap up better, still.

7. Our DL is in trouble, even if Dorsey returns. We might be okay in the middle when he returns (a rotation of Edwards, Tank, Dorsey, and sometimes Boone could be a LOT of fun, although our scrub DTs -- particularly Lokey and T.J. Jackson -- were slaughtered), but we're going to be hurting on the outside all year. Boone is not fast enough to get around the corner at DE, Hali was shut down on sacks but he didn't play too bad, and no other DE made noise other than Turk and Jason Parker on a couple of chases.

8. Barth was money on his kick, so that's good. But neither kicker could get the ball to the endzone on kickoffs.

9. No major kick returns. Sams didn't even return one. Charles was iffy. Savage was actually the best returner of the night.

10. I think our offense will get into the lower 20s or upper teens, and I think our defense is going to be in the mid to lower 20s. I think our defense has lots of talent, especially in the secondary, but we're going to get killed from having no depth at LB, and no talent other than Hali at DE.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 03:57 PM
This Devard Darling shit is getting ridiculous. He was great in training camp. He's not Samie ****ing Parker.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I hope we can find a serviceable DE who shakes loose from another franchise before the season opens. Hali will be ineffective if he doesn't get some help from the other side. Dorsey should absorb some double teams, but a workable body on the other side would help.

Pablo
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
We'll see. My buddy who's a Alabama fan said he wasn't even a good college qb. Anything can happen though, i think that is apparent...My fiance's cousin, who attended Alabama during the Croyle years said he was a great college QB, and he has the potential to make it in the pros.

And Croyle owns quite a few of Bama's records, more than Joe Namath. Although he was injury prone in college.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I'll tell you the other thing I liked about Brodie, is that he spreads the ball around, Brady-style.

Love that stuff.

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I hope we can find a serviceable DE who shakes loose from another franchise before the season opens. Hali will be ineffective if he doesn't get some help from the other side. Dorsey should absorb some double teams, but a workable body on the other side would help.

I seem to recall some mighty impressive stretches by Boone last year. Anything happened to him since last year to downgrade his potential?

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:33 PM
He was solid at DT.
I think he wore down quite a bit as the year went on...
He played more than he expected to. And he truly wasn't in the kind of shape necessary for being an every down guy. That hurt Napolean Harris.

We need a real DE.
I said this for months and everyone thought I was crazy.
Doesn't seem so crazy now... We cannot field a Defense that can't get to the QB. Hopefully a serviceable DE gets cut before the season opens.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM

Yeah that'd be great. That's the thing with D-lines, when you can spread the pressure around they really become effective. Derrick Thomas firin in from the linebacker positions was deadly when teams doubled up on Neil Smith.

We'll never know what could've been if teams doubled up on Dorsey and left JA singled, or visa-versa.....

A suitable replacement for JA is dire need IMO.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I think we're okay at DT. Boone will play there sometimes, but Dorsey, Edwards and Tank are a decent DT tandem. Throw in Boone and we're alright for a couple more years until either Boone or Edwards breaks down.

It's the edges where we're in trouble. Hali isn't a #1 guy, and we desperately need a #1 guy. We may not even have a #3 guy, and Johnston has a season to show if he's that guy.

Turk can fit in there somewhere, I imagine. But who knows.

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah that'd be great. That's the thing with D-lines, when you can spread the pressure around they really become effective. Derrick Thomas firin in from the linebacker positions was deadly when teams doubled up on Neil Smith.

We'll never know what could've been if teams doubled up on Dorsey and left JA singled, or visa-versa.....

I'll still take Dorsey and Albert over Dorsey and Allen.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Hell just a warm body that can get to the QB every now and again will suffice.
JA's a hard act to follow, but if we can make opposing teams believe that someone other than Hali can "get there" we'll be so much more effective Defensively.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM

If King Carl doesn't wait till the last minute (or too late) to start rebuilding the O-line, we don't have to make that decision at all.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I think we're okay at DT. Boone will play there sometimes, but Dorsey, Edwards and Tank are a decent DT tandem. Throw in Boone and we're alright for a couple more years until either Boone or Edwards breaks down.

It's the edges where we're in trouble. Hali isn't a #1 guy, and we desperately need a #1 guy. We may not even have a #3 guy, and Johnston has a season to show if he's that guy.

That's my point. We're in trouble opposite of Hali.
No one seems all that interested in locking that job down thus far.

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 04:41 PM
If King Carl doesn't wait till the last minute (or too late) to start rebuilding the O-line, we don't have to make that decision at all.

I'll bite, who was the 'Roaf' hanging around waiting to be snatched up when Roaf retired out of the blue?
Who's the 'Roaf' who's been available since then?

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:41 PM

I suppose I would too.
We can't undersell the importance of a serviceable DE on the other side of Hali though.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Hell just a warm body that can get to the QB every now and again will suffice.
JA's a hard act to follow, but if we can make opposing teams believe that someone other than Hali can "get there" we'll be so much more effective Defensively.

I don't know, a take-no-prisoners pro bowler along the defensive front four can be a game changer. Effects the running game as well as passing game, if you only have "average" guys along the D-line, you gotta have stellar LB's to make up for it. As a crew our linebackers are not stellar.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know, a take-no-prisoners pro bowler along the defensive front four can be a game changer. Effects the running game as well as passing game, if you only have "average" guys along the D-line, you gotta have stellar LB's to make up for it. As a crew our linebackers are not stellar.

If I could choose I'd absolutely take having a "game changing" DE over our current situation. But with Allen gone we have to try to move on and succeed without him. DE's on the short list of our needs when the off-season rolls around. For right now though. A serviceable DE helps everybody out.

BigRock
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Only significant WR I was not impressed with was Darling, who was invisible.

He was invisible because Croyle didn't throw him the ball. That doesn't mean Darling played badly or that he wasn't open. Tony Gonzalez didn't have a catch either. Bowe only had one.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
He was invisible because Croyle didn't throw him the ball. That doesn't mean Darling played badly or that he wasn't open. Tony Gonzalez didn't have a catch either. Bowe only had one.

Darling will have his shot to prove that he should be the other starter at WR.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll bite, who was the 'Roaf' hanging around waiting to be snatched up when Roaf retired out of the blue?
Who's the 'Roaf' who's been available since then?

That's why I said King Carl shouldn't "wait till the last minute" you gotta see these guys aging and know retirements / injuries are comin and start making moves for depth 2 - 3 seasons before they're gone. That might mean developing rookies or signing young 2nd string free agents that you can develop while Roaf was still playing. That way when you lose the guys, the replacements are there.

It's called foresight, that prevents you from trying to find a "Roaf" when "Roaf" retires. Start developing 2-3 seasons prior to the retirements, and don't piss off and send away your younger guns like John Tait.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
The real problem was our failures at identifying Defensive Line talent.
That's what cost this O-Line. We invested far too many picks in the D-Line and gave only low-round commitments to Offensive Line prospects.

chiefsngop
08-08-2008, 04:52 PM

Anybody else see the block ol' Tony G threw on the LJ touchdown run ?

little jacob
08-08-2008, 05:04 PM
offense better than expected. defense worse than expected. but the defense was missing some key personnel

aturnis
08-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Does throwing the ball away count as an attempt? I'm sure it does, just wondering out loud. I remember him throwing out of bounds to the right. Was that the one where Bowe ran too deep?

aturnis
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Barth was MUCH better than Novak.

And I had this horrible deja-vu after we took the lead with a minute to go, that the bears would run the KO back for a TD.

Novak did his part, by driving the KO to the TEN YARD LINE.

:cuss:

Here's how they faired according to Gretz-

The kicking competition remains very close. Rookie Connor Barth hit a 37-yard FG and a pair of extra points. Nick Novak made his PAT kick as well. Novak kicked off four times, booting the ball to the 8, 3, 6 and 10-yard lines. Barth had just one kickoff, that one falling at the 7-yard line.

Reaper16
08-08-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm not ready to write off Tamba as not "a #1 guy" based on one quarter of pre-season play with no serviceable compliment DE. I don't know how you can outright dismiss him at this point.

Baby Lee
08-08-2008, 05:30 PM
That's what cost this O-Line. We invested far too many picks in the D-Line and gave only low-round commitments to Offensive Line prospects.

That's the answer. We have a horrible D and all world O-line, DV wanted to win now, and picked a buttload of horrible D-linemen.

Micjones
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
That's the answer. We have a horrible D and all world O-line, DV wanted to win now, and picked a buttload of horrible D-linemen.

The Chiefs have already begun the path to turning that culture around.

aturnis
08-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm not ready to write off Tamba as not "a #1 guy" based on one quarter of pre-season play with no serviceable compliment DE. I don't know how you can outright dismiss him at this point.

Tamba hasn't done anything really in camp, not even against Herb Taylor. I am VERY worried!

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Tamba hasn't done anything really in camp, not even against Herb Taylor. I am VERY worried!

Yep. As a former first-rounder, Tamba should be dominating dudes like Herb Taylor. It's very concerning.

JuicesFlowing
08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
No matter how "rusty" LJ looked, it was still nice to see him running angry. His stats weren't much, but he had some decent runs, and he was hitting people, instead of getting buried. I like the new running scheme.

Rain Man
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Without going through the whole thread, I was pretty impressed with that Savage guy at running back.

In preseason, I'll tend to pick a couple of guys and watch them consistently. I watched Adrian Jones on offense and Tank on defense. Jones had one highly visible bad play where he didn't pull fast enough and his guy nailed LJ for a six-yard loss, but on straight-ahead runs he was pushing his guy backwards. Tank was more or less doing the same on defense.

Carr and #39, who I never could identify, were getting burned a bit on defense, it seemed.

I thought Croyle looked good. It seems like he's got a pretty fast release.

KcMizzou
08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
There was almost NO QB pressure, YES we will miss JA. Dorsey can only get so much pressure up the middle but if he garners double teams then maybe it will free up Hali or somebody.

That push up the middle will help the outside guys too. I mean, Dorsey's not gonna get a bunch of sacks. The key is taking away the QB's ability to step up in the pocket and/or flushing them to the outside where a DE can gobble them up.

One note that I didn't see mentioned was Croyle's audibles...he seemed to do a nice job, he looked in control and not scared like last year. It was nice to see them ADJUST at the line instead of trying to run up the middle against an obvious 8 man front or something.That was awesome... and long overdue.

I think going from Solari to Gailey might be our biggest upgrade of the offseason.

Count Zarth
Carr IS #39

Skip Towne
Without going through the whole thread, I was pretty impressed with that Savage guy at running back.

In preseason, I'll tend to pick a couple of guys and watch them consistently. I watched Adrian Jones on offense and Tank on defense. Jones had one highly visible bad play where he didn't pull fast enough and his guy nailed LJ for a six-yard loss, but on straight-ahead runs he was pushing his guy backwards. Tank was more or less doing the same on defense.

Carr and #39, who I never could identify, were getting burned a bit on defense, it seemed.

I thought Croyle looked good. It seems like he's got a pretty fast release.

I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him. He's a good Oklahoma State boy.

Count Zarth
08-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him.

If only you had been reading WPI camp reports...

KcMizzou
08-08-2008, 06:22 PM
I liked Savage too. You're the first one I've seen mention him. He's a good Oklahoma State boy.That kid runs like his ass is on fire. I like him.

So many running backs though... maybe he'll win the KR job.

crazycoffey
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I think going from Solari to Gailey might be our biggest upgrade of the offseason.

agreed, it is certainly the most notable difference that I saw.

Rain Man
08-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Carr IS #39

Oh. I thought he was #31. I'll correct my statement to say that Carr and #31 seemed to be getting beat in coverage.

Rain Man
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM

The willingness to call audibles is huge. One of mankind's greatest mysteries is why an NFL football team wouldn't let its quarterback call an audible. It was like we willingly tied one hand behind our backs before a fight.

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Here's how they faired according to Gretz-

The kicking competition remains very close. Rookie Connor Barth hit a 37-yard FG and a pair of extra points. Nick Novak made his PAT kick as well. Novak kicked off four times, booting the ball to the 8, 3, 6 and 10-yard lines. Barth had just one kickoff, that one falling at the 7-yard line.

I had Barth getting his one KO to the 3, and Novak between the 6-10.

My mistake.

el borracho
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
He was solid at DT.
I think he wore down quite a bit as the year went on...
He played more than he expected to. And he truly wasn't in the kind of shape necessary for being an every down guy. That hurt Napolean Harris.

We need a real DE.
I said this for months and everyone thought I was crazy.
Doesn't seem so crazy now... We cannot field a Defense that can't get to the QB. Hopefully a serviceable DE gets cut before the season opens.

Not crazy at all, I was saying this before the draft and before we traded Allen. [sigh] I guess we can't fix all things in one offseason but it is bad, bad news if Hali is our best DE.

el borracho
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Ugh, don't remind me. Truly disturbing when you consider the return on all those investments. We still don't have a Dline (although I guess it is still early to give up on Hali, Tank and Turk).

el borracho
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Hali may yet develop into a "#1" guy but he has not been that guy his first few years in the league. How old is he, anyway? Seems like he was in his mid-20s when we drafted him. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't think Hali has been worth the pick so far.

Reaper16
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh. I thought he was #31. I'll correct my statement to say that Carr and #31 seemed to be getting beat in coverage.
#31 is Maurice Leggett

Mecca
08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Yep. As a former first-rounder, Tamba should be dominating dudes like Herb Taylor. It's very concerning.

Oh so wait, is Tamba the guy I said he was all along?

sedated
08-08-2008, 10:15 PM
We can't undersell the importance of a serviceable DE on the other side of Hali though.

pfft. wish we could have a 26-year-old future hall-of-famer.