PDA

View Full Version : Music My daughter just got an Ipod. Need a bit of assistance.

BigVE
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I have loads of songs in my Windows Media player but it does not recognize the Ipod. Is that because the whole Apple vs. PC thing? Anyways, anyone have any neat tricks or ideas on loading her mp3 with music? I have had several mp3's but this is a different breed for sure. Thanks for any tips or advice.

Buck
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I have loads of songs in my Windows Media player but it does not recognize the Ipod. Is that because the whole Apple vs. PC thing? Anyways, anyone have any neat tricks or ideas on loading her mp3 with music? I have had several mp3's but this is a different breed for sure. Thanks for any tips or advice.

You need iTunes on your computer, it should have come with the iPod, on a disc.

When you open iTunes it will ask if you want to import music, choose yes and select where from.

Then you can put the music on your iPod from there.

BigVE
08-08-2008, 08:06 PM
You need iTunes on your computer, it should have come with the iPod, on a disc.

When you open iTunes it will ask if you want to import music, choose yes and select where from.

Then you can put the music on your iPod from there.

I did that and out of 300 songs it only recognized about 14 of them. Said there were errors or something.

Bearcat
08-08-2008, 08:32 PM
You can just drag and drop... create a new playlist (I don't have iTunes close by, but I'm sure it's File -> New Playlist, or something like that), and then drag and drop all of the mp3s into the playlist. Then click on the iPod, and there's a screen that lets you choose which playlists to sync with. Choose the one you created, right click on the iPod, and sync.

As long as they are .mp3, there shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to be more specific on the error... perhaps a screen shot.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-08-2008, 08:56 PM
You can just drag and drop... create a new playlist (I don't have iTunes close by, but I'm sure it's File -> New Playlist, or something like that), and then drag and drop all of the mp3s into the playlist. Then click on the iPod, and there's a screen that lets you choose which playlists to sync with. Choose the one you created, right click on the iPod, and sync.

As long as they are .mp3, there shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to be more specific on the error... perhaps a screen shot.

For some reason with the latest edition of iTunes all my music files are showing up as mp4s. I bought another mp3 player and I wanted to transfer music from iTunes and it won't work because of it. I have really grown to hate iTunes, everything about it is a pain in the ****ing ass.

BigV, you may just have to burn the music to CDs and then upload them into iTunes. And have her get a padded cover for the iPod, it doesn't take much to mess them up. My son had his in his back pocket and slipped on some ice last winter and fell on it, and it was done.

DMAC
08-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Google Sharepod, and try that.

HC_Chief
08-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Your files may be in WMV format (Windows Media).

Convert them to MP3 and they should import to iTunes w/o error.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Your files may be in WMV format (Windows Media).

Convert them to MP3 and they should import to iTunes w/o error.

Ok, I think your on to something, but how do I do that?

HC_Chief
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Ok, I think your on to something, but how do I do that?

You can select all of the songs and convert. I think you can right-click and convert; else it's in one of the menu options.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Well guys, none of the tips have worked so far. This is frustrating because I know it's not supposed to be complicated. I'm thinking something is wrong here. Are you all telling me that basically anyone who owns an ipod with hundreds of songs on it payed a buck a piece for 'em? no way.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Well guys, none of the tips have worked so far. This is frustrating because I know it's not supposed to be complicated. I'm thinking something is wrong here. Are you all telling me that basically anyone who owns an ipod with hundreds of songs on it payed a buck a piece for 'em? no way.
Did you try burning them to CDs and uploading them into iTunes?

BigVE
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Did you try burning them to CDs and uploading them into iTunes?

No, sorry, thats the only one I haven't tried yet. Is it normal to have to do that?

Count Zarth
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Best advice is to throw that junk in the trash.

irishjayhawk
08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
No, sorry, thats the only one I haven't tried yet. Is it normal to have to do that?

Well, it depends. Without a screen shot I can't be sure, but I'm pretty confident in that you are playing windows media files which iTunes doesn't play. Burning them will convert them to something that can play on standard CD players (which don't play Microsoft's retarded files).

It should work.

Though, I'm sure that iTunes converts imported things - or at least I thought they did.

Can you tell us the extension of one of the songs that doesn't work?

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Nothing is normal with iTunes anymore. I managed to get my files transferred when I first got iTunes four years ago, but I can't seem to do anything with the latest version, and I think it's because it doesn't use mp3 files anymore. As I mentioned before, all my iTunes music files show up as mp4 now. I don't understand it.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Still not working. This really pisses me off because she worked her butt off this summer and spent way too much money on this P.O.S. mp3 player thinking it would be better than what she had before....NOPE.

NewChief
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
What's the extension on your windows media player files, please? I imagine there's an app out there that should be able to convert them to mp4 easily.

I imagine you know this, but the extension is the 3-4 letters that come after the period in a file name.

titleofthesong.mp4

mp4 is the extension.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 12:55 PM
For some reason with the latest edition of iTunes all my music files are showing up as mp4s. I bought another mp3 player and I wanted to transfer music from iTunes and it won't work because of it. I have really grown to hate iTunes, everything about it is a pain in the ****ing ass.

m4p is a protected iTunes file... when you buy something from iTunes, it's an m4p so you can't share it. Not sure why your files would be mp4s.

What's the extension of your music files? If it's not mp3, then yes, it is something you would have to do. It's not that hard, just time consuming. Burn them to a CD as an audio CD, and then rip them back to your harddrive as mp3s. The options are in Windows Media player.

I have to do this when I buy songs from iTunes and want to use them in something other than iTunes. I wanted to create an mp3 CD for my car, so I had to create CDs with about 18 songs each, and then convert the CDs into mp3s, so I could put them all on one mp3 CD (which holds about 150 songs).

If you want help here, you'll probably need to take some screen shots of errors or whatever is going on, and you'll also need to tell us the extension of the music you're trying to put onto the iPod.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
What's the extension on your windows media player files, please? I imagine there's an app out there that should be able to convert them to mp4 easily.

I imagine you know this, but the extension is the 3-4 letters that come after the period in a file name.

titleofthesong.mp4

mp4 is the extension.

Also, if you don't see the extension, in the folder go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I didnt check everyone of them but all the ones I checked were mp3 extensions.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I didnt check everyone of them but all the ones I checked were mp3 extensions.

Do you get an error when you try to drag and drop one of those mp3s into a playlist? If so, what's the exact error?

Do you get an error (and what is it) when you try to sync?

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
m4p is a protected iTunes file... when you buy something from iTunes, it's an m4p so you can't share it. Not sure why your files would be mp4s.
I don't get it either. Even the songs I've uploaded from CDs are mp4s. It used to be when you uploaded music, you'd right click and select "convert selection to mp3", now it says "convert selection to AAC". It's like those dickwads at Apple want to make it so you can't use anything else.

NewChief
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Try this as well:

Open iTunes.
Open the folder where all your music is stored.
Drag and drop a music file onto the "music" icon in your iTunes app.

The problem here is that iTunes organizes music in a library via folders. So music by Led Zeppelin off of Houses of the Holy is going to be located in a Led Zeppelin folder then subfolder for Houses of the Holy. This gives iTunes the band and album information when it tries to sort it. If you're just dropping tunes into the music randomly, they're not going to be organized in the database properly.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I did the conversion to AAC and it didn't help either. The exact error messages is this:
"Some of the items in the Itunes library could not be copied to the Ipod because they could not be found."

BUT, they all appear in Itunes, I can listen to them in Itunes but it won't copy/sync them.

NewChief
08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I did the conversion to AAC and it didn't help either. The exact error messages is this:
"Some of the items in the Itunes library could not be copied to the Ipod because they could not be found."

BUT, they all appear in Itunes, I can listen to them in Itunes but it won't copy them.

So they're all imported into iTunes, and you can listen to them in iTunes, you just can't get them to load on the iPod?

BigVE
08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
So they're all imported into iTunes, and you can listen to them in iTunes, you just can't get them to load on the iPod?
Yup.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I was just going to download our entire song library of 300 songs and call it good and let her get rid of what she didn't like...only 14 songs made it onto the Ipod.

irishjayhawk
08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Yup.

Hmmm, there's gotta be a setting you have somewhere...

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 01:12 PM
If I were you, I'd tell her to go return the ****ing thing and get something else.

NewChief
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I was just going to download our entire song library of 300 songs and call it good and let her get rid of what she didn't like...only 14 songs made it onto the Ipod.

So when you try to take a single one of those songs that didn't load and drag and drop it onto the iPod icon in iTunes, it gives you that same error message?

Try to eject the iPod then plug it into a different port.

Bearcat
I don't get it either. Even the songs I've uploaded from CDs are mp4s. It used to be when you uploaded music, you'd right click and select "convert selection to mp3", now it says "convert selection to AAC".

It's like those dickwads at Apple want to make it so you can't use anything else.

There isn't a file option in iTunes to convert to mp3? I haven't updated my iTunes for a while, but under one of the file menus I have that option (not sure about right-clicking). I use Windows Media Player for ripping and burning, and iTunes just for buying music and converting that music (m4p) into audio CDs so I can turn around and convert them into mp3s with WMP. It's a pain, but I've had my iPod for over 3 years and have never had a problem with it... and I rarely have to convert from m4p to mp3, so it's a minor inconvenience for me.

Apple is pretty arrogant... the iPhone is ridiculous, because when it came out they did all they could to lock it down, and then make sure people weren't getting around the lock-down. I'd never buy it unless I could install non-Apple stuff like AIM. Their stuff works, but they need to deal with the idea that it'll never be an Apple World.

irishjayhawk
If I were you, I'd tell her to go return the ****ing thing and get something else.

I've never had a problem with the 3 I've personally had and the 2 others my family has had.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Ok, here is what the songs that DID make it to the Ipod had in common...they were the only ones that ACTUALLY converted to AAC format when I converted them. The others did not convert for some reason.

irishjayhawk
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
There isn't a file option in iTunes to convert to mp3? I haven't updated my iTunes for a while, but under one of the file menus I have that option (not sure about right-clicking). I use Windows Media Player for ripping and burning, and iTunes just for buying music and converting that music (m4p) into audio CDs so I can turn around and convert them into mp3s with WMP. It's a pain, but I've had my iPod for over 3 years and have never had a problem with it... and I rarely have to convert from m4p to mp3, so it's a minor inconvenience for me.

Apple is pretty arrogant... the iPhone is ridiculous, because when it came out they did all they could to lock it down, and then make sure people weren't getting around the lock-down. I'd never buy it unless I could install non-Apple stuff like AIM. Their stuff works, but they need to deal with the idea that it'll never be an Apple World.

You can install AIM on the iPhone.

In fact, the only way they have screwed up in the iPhone front is that their software - unlike the computer counterpart - is buggy.

irishjayhawk
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, here is what the songs that DID make it to the Ipod had in common...they were the only ones that ACTUALLY converted to AAC format when I converted them. The others did not convert for some reason.

It doesn't matter. MP3 - if they are infact that extension - will play.

NewChief
08-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm wondering if the files that aren't converting didn't actually make it into the iTunes library, if instead they're just shortcuts to those files in the iTunes library?

irishjayhawk
08-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm wondering if the files that aren't converting didn't actually make it into the iTunes library, if instead they're just shortcuts to those files in the iTunes library?

That's what I'm thinking. Or that the extension isn't actually .mp3. I mean many people assume all audio files are mp3 now a days.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 01:18 PM

BUT, they all appear in Itunes, I can listen to them in Itunes but it won't copy/sync them.

Copy and paste that error into Google, and you can get some ideas.

Here's one...

I got this message regarding my iTunes purchases when I got a new computer. I had to go into the Store/Authorize Computer... menu selection in iTunes and provide my iTunes Store ID and password. Don't know if this applies to you, but it fixed my problem. Even if you aren't on a new computer you might want to give it a try.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 01:19 PM

You could be right...I think I may be onto something here. When I select individual songs from the Itunes library and click info some of them say they can't find the info in this file. When I tried to convert my library to AAC I did the entire library all at once but when I go back and do one at a time it appears to convert properly. NEXT, I will see if the newly converted files will make it over to the Ipod. Making progress.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 01:20 PM

I have the latest version, and it's the first one I've had that doesn't allow mp3 conversion.

I've never had a problem with the 3 I've personally had and the 2 others my family has had.
I didn't have problems the first few years I had mine, the trouble all started with this latest version of iTunes. Not only is the mp3 conversion not available anymore, my Musicmatch Jukebox won't load up since the last iTunes software update, and I've read on some other forums that the newest version of iTunes will disable it. I'm absolutely at my wit's end with this bullshit from Apple.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
You can install AIM on the iPhone.

In fact, the only way they have screwed up in the iPhone front is that their software - unlike the computer counterpart - is buggy.

Has it always been like that? When it first came out, I heard you couldn't install things like messengers (I think my Dash has Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and AIM.. even though I only use AIM).

NewChief
08-09-2008, 01:23 PM
You could be right...I think I may be onto something here. When I select individual songs from the Itunes library and click info some of them say they can't find the info in this file. When I tried to convert my library to AAC I did the entire library all at once but when I go back and do one at a time it appears to convert properly. NEXT, I will see if the newly converted files will make it over to the Ipod. Making progress.

I've had problems in the past with massive import/exports bogging things down and losing data. This happened once when I tried to import a DVD with 100 albums in mp3 format all at once.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I didn't have problems the first few years I had mine, the trouble all started with this latest version of iTunes. Not only is the mp3 conversion not available anymore, my Musicmatch Jukebox won't load up since the last iTunes software update, and I've read on some other forums that the newest version of iTunes will disable it. I'm absolutely at my wit's end with this bullshit from Apple.

I'll keep saying 'no' to the update message. :eek:

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll keep saying 'no' to the update message. :eek:
That's what I normally did, but eventually they'll cut you off from purchasing music from the iTunes store until you update the software.

Bearcat
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
That's what I normally did, but eventually they'll cut you off from purchasing music from the iTunes store until you update the software.

I should have known that was coming. Oh well, even if iTunes sucks, I'll use my iPod until it dies. I brought my iHome along with me to Detroit, and I have a cable for my car, so it gets plenty of use.

BigVE
08-09-2008, 02:33 PM
No real rhyme nor reason to it but I now have over 50 songs downloaded to her Ipod. I don't know of a faster way than what I'm doing...I'm moving files to a new folder then converting them to AAC just a few at a time. For some reason it will not allow a conversion of a large number of files simultaneously. Thanks for your tips guys, other than Claythan all your tips were appreciated. ;)

irishjayhawk
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Has it always been like that? When it first came out, I heard you couldn't install things like messengers (I think my Dash has Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and AIM.. even though I only use AIM).

No, 2.0 of the software allows third party applications. Apple has, admittedly, really screwed that portion of it up so far.

The Bad Guy
08-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Here's what to do:

Delete everything out of the ITunes library.

Find where the actual files are on your computer you want to transfer. Put them all into one new folder that you can remember the name of.

Go back into ITunes. Click file, add folder to library. Add the folder you put all the music files in.

They should come up. It sounds like you copied the shortcuts of the files.

Lzen
08-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a better idea. Take the stupid iPod back to the store and get a refund. Then go buy one of these.

http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/default.htm

irishjayhawk
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
I have a better idea. Take the stupid iPod back to the store and get a refund. Then go buy one of these.

:Lin:

Demonpenz
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
My daughter first got her IPOD around 14 or 15... I just had her mom give her "the talk"

QuikSsurfer
08-12-2008, 09:54 AM

:eek::Lin:

Lzen
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
:Lin:

Why? I don't have all these problems with my Zune. My son has a Zune and so does his friend and my other son's friend. All have been happy with it. I know, I know. It's the evil MS. Gotta hate it just for that reason alone.

Count Zarth
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Seriously, just buy one of these and enjoy drag and ****ing drop the way nature intended:

http://www.amazon.com/iAudio-Portable-Multimedia-Player-Recorder/dp/B0009Q4UBK

Mr. Plow
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
My son lost his iPod on vacation this year....well, actually, the babysitter put it somewhere and lost it. I'm going to be getting him a new one pretty soon - looks like it I may be getting a Zune.

Lzen
08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Seriously, just buy one of these and enjoy drag and ****ing drop the way nature intended:

http://www.amazon.com/iAudio-Portable-Multimedia-Player-Recorder/dp/B0009Q4UBK

Uh, that says it's not available. :shake:

Count Zarth
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
It's called google.

Lzen
08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
It's called google.

Google, eh? Never heard of it.

Valiant
08-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Actually it is suppose to be that difficult.. Itunes is the devil.. They make it a pain so you just quit and download the songs from them..

Lzen
08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Actually it is suppose to be that difficult.. Itunes is the devil.. They make it a pain so you just quit and download the songs from them..

Exactly why I had itunes.

irishjayhawk
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Why? I don't have all these problems with my Zune. My son has a Zune and so does his friend and my other son's friend. All have been happy with it. I know, I know. It's the evil MS. Gotta hate it just for that reason alone.

No, it's just the Zune is one of MS's worst properties. The Zune Store is even worse.

Apple has a very nice system that works very well. Usually, when people have problems, it is user error.

Valiant
08-12-2008, 04:13 PM
No, it's just the Zune is one of MS's worst properties. The Zune Store is even worse.

Apple has a very nice system that works very well. Usually, when people have problems, it is user error.

I think people do not want to use apples proprietary software.. Heaven forbid that somebody just wants to drag and drop music over to their mp3 player without hassle or needing to download itunes..

irishjayhawk
08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I think people do not want to use apples proprietary software.. Heaven forbid that somebody just wants to drag and drop music over to their mp3 player without hassle or needing to download itunes..

You don't have to. There are plenty of applications that manage it that aren't iTunes.

BigVE
08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
You don't have to. There are plenty of applications that manage it that aren't iTunes.

Such as...?

BigVE
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Here's what to do:

Delete everything out of the ITunes library.

Find where the actual files are on your computer you want to transfer. Put them all into one new folder that you can remember the name of.

Go back into ITunes. Click file, add folder to library. Add the folder you put all the music files in.

They should come up. It sounds like you copied the shortcuts of the files.

I'm pretty sure your right...actually I didn't do it, when I downloaded Itunes it located those files automatically but it didn't do it correctly I guess. Its a pain in the arse but we got it figured out now I think.

irishjayhawk
08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Such as...?

Ephpod is a popular one.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

Lzen
08-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Really? Have you ever used a Zune or the Zune software. While I admit it is not perfect and could use some better ideas, it is alright. I don't know much about the Zune store as I mainly use Amazon.com to download music anyway. I have used iTunes many times in the past. It will work fine for awhile and then start causing problems. I have plenty of experience with iTunes to know that I don't care for it because of their BS, not mine. And while I may not be a computer expert, I am pretty knowledgeable and good at figuring out stuff that pertains to PCs.

irishjayhawk
08-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Really? Have you ever used a Zune or the Zune software. While I admit it is not perfect and could use some better ideas, it is alright. I don't know much about the Zune store as I mainly use Amazon.com to download music anyway. I have used iTunes many times in the past. It will work fine for awhile and then start causing problems. I have plenty of experience with iTunes to know that I don't care for it because of their BS, not mine. And while I may not be a computer expert, I am pretty knowledgeable and good at figuring out stuff that pertains to PCs.

Examples?

irishjayhawk
08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I should add that if you say DRM or anything close to DRM you lose all credibility henceforth.

BigVE
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Ephpod is a popular one.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

Thanks for the link....by the way, Ephpod wasn't on that page/list.

BigVE
08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I downloaded a program called floola...works great and is easy as pie.

irishjayhawk
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link....by the way, Ephpod wasn't on that page/list.

Yeah, that's the one that came to mind. Then I was like, I should probably look up some and give a link. I did and it didn't mention that. :)