PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs WF's comments on yesterday's game.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
http://walterfootball.com/preseason2008.php

Chiefs 24, Bears 20

Shocking news: Rex Grossman was booed off the field twice. The first time was the result of a horribly thrown dump-off pass that Grossman completely missed despite the fact that his target was two yards in front of him. The second occurance happened because Grossman tripped over his own two feet while dropping back in the pocket. Grossman finished 4-of-8 for 44 yards and a touchdown.

It also shouldn't be surprising that Chicago fans cheered Caleb Hanie the most. Hanie missed two routine throws, including one that was very similar to Grossman's botched dump-off pass (seriously, Caleb, put down the Grossman game film), but he settled in after that. Hanie finished 9-of-16 for 101 yards and an impressive touchdown to Brandon Rideau. Hanie also scrambled for 18 yards and gained a key first down in the fourth quarter. He may have led the Bears to a game-winning touchdown if rookie wideout Marcus Monk didn't drop a 25-yard pass that hit him right in the numbers.

I'd like to say Brodie Croyle threw his first pass away because he was under pressure, but I'm just not sure. Croyle looked like he was throwing at a target, but fired the ball right toward the sideline. Croyle's third pass was nearly picked off by Charles Tillman, as Croyle underthrew Dwayne Bowe. To Bowe's credit, he nearly came up with the grab. Croyle stared down his receiver on his fourth attempt. With that in mind, Croyle looked poised from then on, finishing 6-of-10 for 82 yards, as he led his squad to a touchdown on the opening drive.

Speaking of the first drive, Chicago's first-string defense allowed Croyle to convert five third downs on the possession. Kansas City's drive went 16 plays, 81 yards and lasted 8:45. It's not like key guys were missing. Brian Urlacher played. Lance Briggs played. Tommie Harris played. Charles "Peanut" Tillman, Mike Brown, Adewale Ogunleye, Alex Brown... everyone was in the game. If I'm Lovie Smith, I have to be a bit worried. The Chiefs aren't exactly the 2007 Patriots; Croyle is unproven and the offensive line is in shambles. The most glaring conversion Chicago surrendered occurred because Briggs missed a manageable tackle on Jamaal Charles.

Despite the initial score, Kansas City's offensive front had problems keeping Bears defenders out of the backfield. Left tackle Herb Taylor (playing for Branden Albert) and right guard Adrian Jones especially struggled, as both were beaten on multiple occasions. Taylor was whistled for holding in the red zone.

It should be noted that Kansas City's second offensive sequence spontaneously combusted, as their offensive line was guilty of two holding and one illegal formation penalties.

The Bears haven't had much success drafting running backs in the past two decades, but that streak may end with Matt Forte. Forte ran seven times for 25 yards and caught three passes, looking extremely impressive. I know he wasn't going against the Steel Curtain or anything, but Forte seems like he's going to be a million times better than Cedric Benson. Of course a million times zero is still zero, so maybe I should rephrase that.

William Franklin snagged in a 22-yard reception on Kansas City's opening drive. It's important that the Chiefs see more of this, as Devard Darling shouldn't, under any circumstances, start in this league.

I liked what I saw out of Chiefs rookie right tackle Barry Richardson. Though he was going against second- and third-stringers in the second half, Richardson didn't allow a sack and run blocked pretty well. I'd like to see him get a crack at the starting lineup.

I can't say Tyler Thigpen was too impressive. Thigpen, Kansas City's other young quarterback, was often guilty of staring down his receivers and telegraphed an ugly duck to Bears linebacker Rod Wilson in the third quarter.

Celebration of the Night: I've never seen someone celebrate so much after a sack. Anthony Adams pinned Damon Huard to the ground, got up, and started jumping and waving his arms around for about five minutes. Seriously, Michael Strahan was more calm on his record-breaking sack on Brett Favre a few years ago.

Quote of the Game: "Brodie Croyle struggled a little bit last year." - former Bears quarterback and current Bears color commentator Erik Kramer. Just a bit, Erik? If going 0-6 is struggling a little bit, what's struggling a lot? I could see Erik saying, "Player X struggled more than a bit last year but not too much. He had the ebola virus."

Mecca
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Where is Clayton he's going to go bonkers about that Darling comment.

blueballs
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
WTF happened to griese

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
You wrote that, didn't you, you bastard? YOU BASTARD.

Direckshun
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
You wrote that, didn't you, you bastard? YOU BASTARD.
LMAO

Can you tell me what you're high about? Has the guy just been schooling our CBs left and right at River Falls?

HolmeZz
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Quote of the Game: "Brodie Croyle struggled a little bit last year." - former Bears quarterback and current Bears color commentator Erik Kramer. Just a bit, Erik? If going 0-6 is struggling a little bit, what's struggling a lot? I could see Erik saying, "Player X struggled more than a bit last year but not too much. He had the ebola virus."

Eh, Croyle had 6 TDs and 6 INTs and completed 57% of his passes last year. I've seen QBs in their first year starting fare FAR worse.

RustShack
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm really high on DVD too.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
LMAO

Can you tell me what you're high about? Has the guy just been schooling our CBs left and right at River Falls?

He had a good training camp. Caught pretty much everything thrown his way. He might be the fastest receiver on the team.

He was the #2 guy the whole way. That's not for nothing.

Skip Towne
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Where is Clayton he's going to go bonkers about that Darling comment.

If you check closely, you will find Claythan doesn't know a hell of a lot about football. Check his references. Talk to his high school coach. Exactly what is his background in football?

L.A. Chieffan
08-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Darlings awesome, just check out his mammoth stats in Balt

aturnis
08-09-2008, 12:06 AM
All the while I was in River Falls(3 days worth of practices), Darling may have caught most things thrown his way, but was only thrown to MAYBE five times. I'd say that he must not be fast enough to get open or something.

Count Alex's Losses
08-09-2008, 12:08 AM
All the while I was in River Falls(3 days worth of practices), Darling may have caught most things thrown his way, but was only thrown to MAYBE five times. I'd say that he must not be fast enough to get open or something.

That sounds like a Direckshun comment. Darling has plenty of speed. Probably more than Bowe to be quite honest.

Smed1065
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
If you check closely, you will find Claythan doesn't know a hell of a lot about football. Check his references. Talk to his high school coach. Exactly what is his background in football?

Editing words?

aturnis
08-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I guess I've also read a few different reports stating he has good speed until he puts on the pads. Sure he just didn't look great in shorts?

Smed1065
08-09-2008, 12:23 AM
That sounds like a Direckshun comment. Darling has plenty of speed. Probably more than Bowe to be quite honest.

Did DVD give WPI an "exclusive". Guess so.

WPI stated he is the best and it is so!

They also stated a player lost a play book before but they was not "approved" by CP to finish the headline they started.

:shake:

Count Alex's Losses
08-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I guess I've also read a few different reports stating he has good speed until he puts on the pads. Sure he just didn't look great in shorts?

Darling caught a bomb in pads one day.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Yes, because speedy WR's always become NFL superstars. Just ask Jerry Rice.

RustShack
08-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Yes, because speedy WR's always become NFL superstars. Just ask Jerry Rice.

Or Bobby Sippio!