PDA

View Full Version : Football Two Thoughts I Had About the Preseason

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2008, 02:07 AM
1st:

I was watching 1st and 10 on ESPN, which inevitably Brett Favre banter, and the Jets win-loss record for 2008 was being discussed. Skip Bayless was convinced the NY Brett Favre's were going to 12-4, or at least 10-6 and go to the playoffs (I was doing a school paper at the time, otherwise I would've immediately posted this topic up). Given this prognostication by Bayless and the other two talking heads on 1st and 10, my mind wandered to the topic to the actual accuracy of such predictions... Which made me think of our resident genius statboy cdcox (or whatever his name is). So now I wonder, who/what is the most accurate forecaster out there in the football world, if any.

2nd:

At some point yesterday I thought about possible changes in the preseason, namely in shortening it. But something made me think about the basic reasons for keeping it around; money and player evaluation when competing against another squad and in a game situation. I then thought about the risks involved in playing a meaningless game, and how to minimize them. The idea then came to me, considering the game is an "exhibition", why not make a preseason game (considering the schedule was halved) and keep half or a quarter an actual live game, and the rest of the time dedicated to position specific drill competitions. Silliest idea to strike professional sports possibly, but the point would be that players, skill players in particular, are still competing for their positions against another team. This perhaps would work only once in a preseason, considering that it won't be a revenue source from TV and fans look at it as paying for a full price ticket to watch a practice, but still hopefully be exciting enough to draw some fans to the event, if the ticket price was 75% lower than regular season price.

Count Alex's Losses
08-09-2008, 02:09 AM
I would watch the shit out of offensive line/defensive line pass-rush drills between two teams. And cornerback/receiver drills, too.

Simply Red
08-09-2008, 02:14 AM
1st:

I was watching 1st and 10 on ESPN, which inevitably Brett Favre banter, and the Jets win-loss record for 2008 was being discussed. Skip Bayless was convinced the NY Brett Favre's were going to 12-4, or at least 10-6 and go to the playoffs (I was doing a school paper at the time, otherwise I would've immediately posted this topic up). Given this prognostication by Bayless and the other two talking heads on 1st and 10, my mind wandered to the topic to the actual accuracy of such predictions... Which made me think of our resident genius statboy cdcox (or whatever his name is). So now I wonder, who/what is the most accurate forecaster out there in the football world, if any.

2nd:

At some point yesterday I thought about possible changes in the preseason, namely in shortening it. But something made me think about the basic reasons for keeping it around; money and player evaluation when competing against another squad and in a game situation. I then thought about the risks involved in playing a meaningless game, and how to minimize them. The idea then came to me, considering the game is an "exhibition", why not make a preseason game (considering the schedule was halved) and keep half or a quarter an actual live game, and the rest of the time dedicated to position specific drill competitions. Silliest idea to strike professional sports possibly, but the point would be that players, skill players in particular, are still competing for their positions against another team. This perhaps would work only once in a preseason, considering that it won't be a revenue source from TV and fans look at it as paying for a full price ticket to watch a practice, but still hopefully be exciting enough to draw some fans to the event, if the ticket price was 75% lower than regular season price.

lol, GJ man. Nice thread, actually. But CD Cox is highly over-rated. JK CD, you know I love you.

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2008, 02:39 AM
The other idea I had, arguably the weakest, is to move the Pro Bowl to the beginning of the preseason... Which would mean not hosting it in Hawaii.

tmax63
08-09-2008, 08:00 AM
You mean like the abortion that the Chiefs have against Minnesota the last few years? Seems like the Chiefs have gotten more injuries then than during the preseason games. I may be wrong but it seems like somebody's always coming out of that gimping around.

chiefqueen
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
1st:

I was watching 1st and 10 on BFN, which inevitably Brett Favre banter, and the Jets win-loss record for 2008 was being discussed. Skip Bayless was convinced the NY Brett Favre's were going to 12-4, or at least 10-6 and go to the playoffs (I was doing a school paper at the time, otherwise I would've immediately posted this topic up). Given this prognostication by Bayless and the other two talking heads on 1st and 10, my mind wandered to the topic to the actual accuracy of such predictions... Which made me think of our resident genius statboy cdcox (or whatever his name is). So now I wonder, who/what is the most accurate forecaster out there in the football world, if any.

2nd:

fyp

Didn't you get the memo ESPN is now BFN (Brett Favre Network).

HC_Chief
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Shorten the preseason to 2 games. Having 4 is ridiculous.

Brett Favre will throw at least 19INTs this year. The Jets will still suck.

Portlantis
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Couldn't agree more. If history has taught us anything, it's that free agent shopping sprees almost never work out. Just ask the Redskins.

The Jets will win six games at most this year.

blueballs
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
if my kid grew up to be Skip Bayless
i would disown him

milkman
08-09-2008, 11:37 AM

I was thinking 20.

KcMizzou
08-09-2008, 12:26 PM
1st:

That's seedy cocks.