PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink --NON MF'n FOOTBALL TOPIC, Anybody...

Simply Red
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
..have any cooking questions?

Calcountry
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, do you consider Rachael Ray to be fat?

Hog Rider
08-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Have you ever made Steak Diane at home? With flames and all?

DaKCMan AP
08-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Yes.

Simply Red
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes..

RJ
08-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Can you explain the differences between saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, trans fat and just regular old everyday fat?

RJ
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Also, can you tell me the content of all those various fats in Steak Diane?

Hog Rider
08-16-2008, 05:45 PM
saturated fat: a fat person swimming in the 1920s
polyunsaturated fat: a fat person swimming in the 1970s
trans fat: a transexual fat person
regular old everyday fat: my 80 year old mother!

RJ
08-16-2008, 05:54 PM
saturated fat: a fat person swimming in the 1920s
polyunsaturated fat: a fat person swimming in the 1970s
trans fat: a transexual fat person
regular old everyday fat: my 80 year old mother!

Thanks for clearing that up. It's been bothering me for some time now.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, I feel it's how, it(fat) they(varieties) interact with the body and the tolls, benefits they have on the human body.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Does purple and green clash? Because I say it does but weezy swears it's fashion sheik. SOMEBODY HELP?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

TinyEvel
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
What is Par boiling? And when should I use it?

kstater
08-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Yes.

:spock:

FAX
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
What a strange outfit.

Okay ... I'm in, Mr. Simply Red ... but, before I pose my interrogatory, I just want to say that this thread is kind of serendipitous because, for some time now, I've been bothered by the fact that I do not know the answer to this question. Anyway, here it is; Other than Gnocchi, Linguine, Stelle, Fettuccine, Macaroni, Vermicelli, Spaghetti, Lasagne, and Penne, how many types of pasta are there? And, thank you in advance for your kind and prompt response.

FAX

Bowser
08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

gblowfish
08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh dat girl gots da junk in da trunk.

And, like Cartman, I LOVE PIE!!!

kstater
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
What a strange outfit.

Okay ... I'm in, Mr. Simply Red ... but, before I pose my interrogatory, I just want to say that this thread is kind of serendipitous because, for some time now, I've been bothered by the fact that I do not know the answer to this question. Anyway, here it is; Other than Gnocchi, Linguine, Stelle, Fettuccine, Macaroni, Vermicelli, Spaghetti, Lasagne, and Penne, how many types of pasta are there? And, thank you in advance for your kind and prompt response.

FAX

tagliatelle, bucatini among others.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/pastas/glossary.asp

Skip Towne
08-17-2008, 06:36 PM

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh dat girl gots da junk in da trunk.

And, like Cartman, I LOVE PIE!!!

What a horrible photoshop!

As for that earlier picture... that's circa 2003, IIRC. Then, she was great. Now, she's not fat, but kinda chunky.

Any I was always more partial to this one:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2189/fhmrachaelrayrb1.th.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fhmrachaelrayrb1.jpg)

Fried Meat Ball!
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
And I do have a cooking question... do you have any diablo marinara recipes? Something a little better than just marinara with crushed red pepper?

cdcox
08-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Can you explain the differences between saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, trans fat and just regular old everyday fat?

Saturated fat most frequently comes from animal products. Meat, dairy, eggs, etc. Saturated means that it is saturated with hydrogen (a chemistry thing). Saturated fats are solids at room and body temperature, which gives them better artery clogging ability.

Unsatruated fats are more frequently associated with vegatable products. Your vegatable oils, etc are unsaturated. Unsatruated means that the fat is unsaturated with hydrogen and contains double bonds between the carbons (another chemistry thing). Unsaturated fats are liquids at room and body temperature which means they are less likely to solidfy in your body, arteries, etc.

Trans fats are formed when unsaturated gats are hydrogenated. So you can take vegatable oil and make it solid by hydrogenation. Transfats are bad for you - you should completely eliminate them from your diet. They are most commonly found in commercially-packaged baked goods.

FAX
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Furry Worry were a bear. Furry Worry had no hair. Furry Worry weren't very furry were he?

FAX

Phobia
08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
And I do have a cooking question... do you have any diablo marinara recipes? Something a little better than just marinara with crushed red pepper?

I love my marinara and I think one of the "secrets" is fennel seed. I'd put some fresh chilies or maybe a combination of hot peppers if you're not fond of the crushed red pepper. I'm fine with crushed red pepper myself.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM

A good example of this is; par-boiling a tomato prior to using it for a sauce such as marinara. Short time boiling. `I guess`

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 09:39 PM

I'd add a great olive oil. Remember, the greener the better, while selection your O.O..

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
What a strange outfit.

FAX

Most pasta are simple size and shape variations. I've never counted, but I'd say there may be 45.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Saturated fat most frequently comes from animal products. Meat, dairy, eggs, etc. Saturated means that it is saturated with hydrogen (a chemistry thing). Saturated fats are solids at room and body temperature, which gives them better artery clogging ability.

Unsatruated fats are more frequently associated with vegatable products. Your vegatable oils, etc are unsaturated. Unsatruated means that the fat is unsaturated with hydrogen and contains double bonds between the carbons (another chemistry thing). Unsaturated fats are liquids at room and body temperature which means they can solidfy in your body, arteries, etc.

Trans fats are formed when unsaturated gats are hydrogenated. So you can take vegatable oil and make it solid by hydrogenation. Transfats are bad for you - you should completely eliminate them from your diet. They are most commonly found in commercially-packaged baked goods.

nice,

cdcox
08-17-2008, 09:48 PM
nice,

Except I botched the artery clogging ability of unsaturated fats. The are less likely to clog you up. Now fixed in my post.

I try to limit saturated fat, get lots of whole grains, fruits, and veggies. If I'm doing that, I usually don't worry too much about unsaturated fat.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Except I botched the artery clogging ability of unsaturated fats. The are less likely to clog you up. Now fixed in my post.

I try to limit saturated fat, get lots of whole grains, fruits, and veggies. If I'm doing that, I usually don't worry too much about unsaturated fat.

Yeah? I'm still an endorser of the `low-carb` plan. Within reason.

cdcox
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah? I'm still an endorser of the `low-carb` plan. Within reason.

I changed my diet primarily to improve my blood chemistry. Weight loss was a secondary goal and I was only looking to drop 15 or so. So reducing saturated fat most closely matched my goals. Hardest thing for me was cutting back on beef and pork.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 11:21 PM
I changed my diet primarily to improve my blood chemistry. Weight loss was a secondary goal and I was only looking to drop 15 or so. So reducing saturated fat most closely matched my goals. Hardest thing for me was cutting back on beef and pork.

got ya.

badgirl
08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
It seem I very seldom get my chocolate no bake cookies to turn out really good, they are either to hard and dry or to gooey, sometimes they turn out perfect. What is the best way to make them right everytime? I know it has to do with how long you cook them on the stove, but I have different receipes to say different things. Help Me.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 11:26 PM

never heard of stelle.

Simply Red
08-17-2008, 11:28 PM
It seem I very seldom get my chocolate no bake cookies to turn out really good, they are either to hard and dry or to gooey, sometimes they turn out perfect. What is the best way to make them right everytime? I know it has to do with how long you cook them on the stove, but I have different receipes to say different things. Help Me.

350 top shelf, take out while slightly still not entirely cooked, return to a semi-cooled oven for 3 mins. or so.

badgirl
08-18-2008, 01:31 AM
350 top shelf, take out while slightly still not entirely cooked, return to a semi-cooled oven for 3 mins. or so.

you do not bake them. You cook the mixture on top of the stove and then put them out to cool and they get firm on their own.

Fruit Ninja
08-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Anyone make Oatmeal Raisin? thems are my favorite! heh

KCUnited
08-18-2008, 06:50 AM

I like to roast whole chipotles in the oven. Once they've sweated, I peel and seed them and saute them in a little wine uptil they've absorbed the wine. I then puree them with a little olive oil in the food processor and finally add them to the sauce.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
yummo

Extra Point
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Anyone make Oatmeal Raisin? thems are my favorite! heh

My wife made some Hellacious oatmeal cookies the other nite. I diced two 4 oz Hershey Symphony toffee bars and we threw them into the mix. Good eats!

Buehler445
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I gotta cooking question. Do you have any good (preferrably simple) enchilada recipes? I have a really really REALLY simple one that is good for me, but the wife is not a fan.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks In Advance for the help.

Buehler445
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh, and Rachael Ray is hawt.

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Yes.
and you would Hit it, just because!

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh, and Rachael Ray is hawt.
hell yeah bro, I would HIHIH that!

angelo
08-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Par Boiling is is partial boiling a product so it is half cooked. It is mainly used in high starch foods.

Blanching is used to either quickly set the color of a vegetable (think asparagus or green beans) or to remove the skin (tomatoes).

This is done properly with a large amount of water (salted) brought to a rapid boil you want to add your product in small increments (1 pound to 1 gallon)
until you have the desired color and texture. Immediately plunge into ice water until cold and remove quickly so as not to lose any flavor.

Ang

Consistent1
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Anybody that says Rachel Ray is fat is kinda dumb. I gaurantee you that if you had a couple drinks with her, and had the chance, you would try to pound her through the bed frame. Married guys aside.

angelo
08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

2 cans San Maranzano Tomatoes (very important) hand crushed
6 cloves Garlic crushed with skins or shaved very thin
1/2 med White Onion finely diced
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Oregano
Fresh Bay Leaf
Fresh Basil
Italian Parsley
1 Lemon
Capers (optional)
Good Quality Pepperoncini (Crushed Red Pepper)
Kosher or Sea Salt
Tellicherry Black Peppercorns
1 tbs Amore Tomato Paste

In a heavy bottom Sauce Pan or Dutch Oven heat oil.
Depending on how much garlic you want you can slowly cook the crushed cloves in there skins for a light garlic flavor and remove.
If you appreciate garlic then saute onions and then add shaved garlic.
Brown garlic lightly and add pepperoncini to taste. If you like mild 1tsp if you like spicy 1tbs and work you way up.
Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute
Add tomatoes, rinse inside of cans with a small amount of water or white wine if you are imbibing (do not use red wine) and add to the sofrito.
Now add the thyme, oregano and bay leaf. This again is personal preference to me. I prefer to add 1/2 tbs of oregano 1 tsp of thyme.

Let simmer for thirty minutes and correct seasoning.
Before adding a lot of salt try a little lemon juice.
Then Salt and Generous amount of pepper.

With Shrimp and Capers very nice.

Would recommend liguine or bucatini for pasta

Ricotta Salata for cheese or Grana Padano

Ang

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
with Halloween coming up I'm sure there are some questions about creative cookies, etc...

DaFace
10-14-2008, 06:52 PM
You are the king of bumping old threads lately.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-14-2008, 06:54 PM
with Halloween coming up I'm sure there are some questions about creative cookies, etc...
I have a bare cabinet... give me a recipe for a Halloween cookie featuring barley, apricot preserves, liquid smoke, molasses, and flour.

And all my pots and pans broke except for my 12-inch cast iron skillet.

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 06:54 PM
You are the king of bumping old threads lately.

Just in that mood today.

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I have a bare cabinet... give me a recipe for a Halloween cookie featuring barley, apricot preserves, liquid smoke, molasses, and flour.

And all my pots and pans broke except for my 12-inch cast iron skillet.

Wow, that's a tough one. Do you have a brisket in the freezer by chance?

Fried Meat Ball!
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow, that's a tough one. Do you have a brisket in the freezer by chance?

I have a frozen point. No flat.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I just saw - I have a 1/4 c. butter in the fridge, 2 eggs, and a half a melted Snickers.

Simply Red
10-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I just saw - I have a 1/4 c. butter in the fridge, 2 eggs, and a half a melted Snickers.

Jesus, we're screwed.