PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs cards game thoughts

tmax63
08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Watching the stream of the Chiefs. Couple of thoughts came to mind.

1. McBride is playing like he wants to be the starting DE.
2. Savage is the best returner the Chiefs have put on the field so far.
3. Kick-off coverage needs work.
4. Chiefs 2nd and 3rd team OL is really, reallly, realllly bad.
5. Flowers held his own against one of the best receiver tandems in the NFL.

Much like last week, although they lost this one, I don't feel like all hope is lost. What say the rest of you who watched this game?????

keg in kc
08-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I see more to be optimistic about than I expected. The starting o-line is holding it's own without Albert, and between that and the clear upgrade that Gailey's playcalling brings, I think the offense could be middle-of-the-pack. It's nice to have some receivers to complement Gonzalez. The starting defense is relatively effective despite the clearly vanilla approach that Cunningham takes every preseason. The performance of the 2nd and 3rd units this week is a little troubling in terms of depth in the event of injuries to starters, but that's something that will probably continue to vacillate from week-to-week, since they're all so young.

I haven't been on the '4-12' bandwagon all offseason, and I haven't seen anything so far this offseason to change my mind. I see a run-of-the-mill NFL team that could win 9 or 10 games with some good luck, and lose 9 or 10 if the bounces are bad. And I think there's some reason to be optimistic for 2009 and beyond, because they're rebuilding the right way (for once) and they're only going to get better for it.

Count Alex's Losses
08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
The defense gave up 86 yards in the first half.

I'll take it.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 10:08 PM
How'd LJ look? Missed the game. It looked like he had a pretty good night running the ball according to the stats.\

Damn, Turk with 2 sacks...nice.

Count Alex's Losses
08-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Larry had no blocking for two drives. Then he took over the game.

Smed1065
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I have hope.

I know 2nd and 3rd teams suck but I am grateful to have a possible decent starting team. I wish we could trade a RB for a LB. No ,not make them trade positions.

Impressed with Turks play tonight. I think he would be the biggest difference maker besides BC stepping up. I think DJ will step up even without better LB's help this season.

Sippio is gone as well as Sams and Battle IMO.

JuicesFlowing
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The Chiefs win against the Bears, and the reaction is mostly positive. The Chiefs lose against Arizona, and the sky is falling. People need to get a grip ... we're 1-1. If we win next week, we'll be going to the playoffs, and if we lose we'll be 2-14. God I hate the reaction of preseason!!!!!!!!!

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM
The Chiefs win against the Bears, and the reaction is mostly positive. The Chiefs lose against Arizona, and the sky is falling. People need to get a grip ... we're 1-1. If we win next week, we'll be going to the playoffs, and if we lose we'll be 2-14. God I hate the reaction of preseason!!!!!!!!!

Well it sounds as if the 1st string o-line was good tonight if LJ and Kolby were able to shred the D. Brodie didn't do much, but didn't make any costly mistakes. It sounds like the first string D did alright holding Zona to under 100 yards of offense in the 1st half and the Turk had 2 sacks. What are people so upset about???

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Larry had no blocking for two drives. Then he took over the game.

But, I thought he was done and would never return to form???? ;)

Count Alex's Losses
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
But, I thought he was done and would never return to form???? ;)

Mecca eats shit for breakfast.

Smed1065
08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Well it sounds as if the 1st string o-line was good tonight if LJ and Kolby were able to shred the D. Brodie didn't do much, but didn't make any costly mistakes. It sounds like the first string D did alright holding Zona to under 100 yards of offense in the 1st half and the Turk had 2 sacks. What are people so upset about???

It was not 41-3?

thurman merman
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
The defense gave up 86 yards in the first half.

I'll take it.

that is very impressive.

KCinNY
08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Gailey's scheme and play design are light years better than Solari's ever was...love the quick toss back to LJ 7 yards back-letting him pick his hole.

Turk made a nice play against the boot and overall, looked as good as I've ever seen him. Hope he can continue to improve.

BigRock
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
It seemed like Tank was getting some good penetration on some plays. It looked like he was in Warner's face on a few different throws. Unless that was someone else, I dunno. I thought it was Tank.

Gailey spreading things out after LJ got bottled up on a drive or two was beautiful. They came out the next drive with multiple WR sets, but kept running it, and suddenly LJ's breaking his foot off in some asses. ADJUSTMENTS~!

LJ LJ LJ
I MADE HIM OUT OF CLAY
AND WHEN HE'S DRY AND READY
OH LJ I WILL PLAY

Flowers had that one bad play where they threw a quick pass to Larry Fitz and he got juked. Other than that, booyah. I don't even think they're doing anything with the corners, they still seem to be playing 7-8 yards off on every play, even as the broadcaster keep talking about playing more man to man.

Roger Twibell needs to take a long walk on a short pier.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Anyone specific on the o-line stand out?

BigRock
08-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I forgot to mention Bowe jumping and skipping around instead of throwing a block while LJ busted off a big run. Both the best and worst thing of all time.

thurman merman
08-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I forgot to mention Bowe jumping and skipping around instead of throwing a block while LJ busted off a big run. Both the best and worst thing of all time.

agreed, that was pretty hilarious/infuriating.

Smed1065
08-16-2008, 10:44 PM

Bowe was taught by LJ how to block?

http://scosoft.com/h/c/7eb0a4e8.gif

Deberg_1990
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
How did Dorsey look in his one series?

BigRock
08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Anyone specific on the o-line stand out?

Barry Richardson stood out for getting beat like a drum for a sack on his very first play when the backups came in. But the starters actually looked pretty decent, one series or so aside when LJ had nowhere to run.

How did Dorsey look in his one series?

He didn't really do anything, but I think he was getting doubled. On at least one play, the attention they gave Dorsey opened a lane for someone else to get to Warner and drill him as he threw the ball.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Barry Richardson stood out for getting beat like a drum for a sack on his very first play when the backups came in. But the starters actually looked pretty decent, one series or so aside when LJ had nowhere to run.

He didn't really do anything, but I think he was getting doubled. On at least one play, the attention they gave Dorsey opened a lane for someone else to get to Warner and drill him as he threw the ball.

Thanks. Herbie must have done solid again as well.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Wow. Double teamed in his first professionl start??

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2008, 11:00 PM

Impact player.

LocoChiefsFan
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Your post must refer to reactions in another thread, because up till your reply I never saw a comment that warrants this reply. I don't think anyone was reacting that way(in this thread).

EDIT: I understand now. I just read some of the other threads.

FAX
08-17-2008, 12:15 AM
How about Hali? Any noticeable improvement there? Also, if anyone cares to comment, I'd love to know how the linebackers performed.

FAX

Smed1065
08-17-2008, 12:41 AM

Groupies!

http://scosoft.com/h/b/6cc542c1.gif

Smed1065
08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
How about Hali? Any noticeable improvement there? Also, if anyone cares to comment, I'd love to know how the linebackers performed.

FAX

Hali had a solid night. IMO.

KCrockaholic
08-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I was pretty happy with the overall play of our starting offense/defense. i think our kickoff coverage needs worked on, but our D looked pretty good IMO, LJ and the rest of the runningbacks were awesome. if only Charles was there today it wouldve been even better. But Savage is a guy who realllly wants to make this team. This guy is all heart. i was impressed by him. I love the new offense. our play calling is looking great so far, and we seem to use the shotgun a lot, which i like for our offense. draw plays with Charles/Smith will become very effective for us. i also liked the HB direct play.

defensively...Flowers was pretty darn good besides his missed tackle on Fitzgerald. DJ looked good, and wow Turk McBride has actually been our best DE so far in pre-season...now we just need to get our defense to turn the ball over more...i saw plenty of chances for turnovers on fumbles, yet somehow the Cards recovered...i think both teams walked away getting what they came for. they both used this game to scout players, and see who was gonna be a playmaker...and who wasnt...aka "Sippio"...which is to bad. i was a Sippio fan because he was the underdog until now...now im a Dantrell Savage fan, hoping he will make the team instead.

BigRock
08-17-2008, 01:00 AM

I thought Tamba looked better. He blew up a screen play, he was getting some pressure.

On the Cards' second play, D~! J~! knifed in and laid a hit on Edge that made him fumble. Even if he'd kept it, the play would have been for no gain. That's all I remember from him.

There was a play where I think both non-DJ LBs blitzed and had a straight path to the QB because the linemen were tied up with Dorsey. Pat Thomas (I think) hit him as he threw and the pass was incomplete (I think). Thomas had his hands on the first pass Matt Leinart threw, but couldn't pull it in.

They had a pair of 5-10 yard runs on their TD drive, though, so it was hardly perfect from the LB standpoint.

chiefbowe82
08-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks. Herbie must have done solid again as well.

yeah from what i seen of herb he looked solid

FAX
08-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Thank you, gentlemen. I wish I'd seen this game. I regret missing it. Hopefully, the NFLN will replay it sometime soon. I was getting concerned about Hali. Truthfully, I still am. Also, our LB situation seems pretty doggone fluid. I'd like to see some solid play from those guys sometime soon - particularly against the run.

After scanning the play by play stats at nfl.com, I'm wondering why people are so upset about the starting quarterback's play. Missed a few, but connected also - and on third down. No turnovers, either. Interesting reactions here.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
08-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Mr. FAX, NFLN is replaying it ... I will have to re-check the time but I think it's Sunday Night or early Monday morning ... will try to find the exact time ...

JuicesFlowing
08-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Monday morning, 2:00 a.m. FAX ... NFL Network

FAX
08-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Many thanks, Mr. JuicesFlowing. I see we're in primetime.

Thank God for endowing us human being peeps with the inventionating gene so that we might enjoy DVR technology.

FAX

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2008, 01:40 AM
My thoughts...

Larry Fitzgearld will surpass Moss as the best WR in the NFL this year
Brandon Flowers will be a future stud
Our running game will win us a few games this year
Darling cant run a route
Croyle was going through the progressions well
Savage will make the team
Turk played pretty good, still needs to be a DT not a DE

FAX
08-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Hmmm. That Turk report is sad news, indeed. We need DEs in the worst way.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
08-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Turk had two bloody sacks. C'mon.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
I know he played pretty good tonight, but he needs to be a DT.

Smed1065
08-17-2008, 02:09 AM

Because that is a weak position for us?

Count Alex's Losses
08-17-2008, 02:12 AM

He's 280. He'll get killed as an everydown DT.

I think he should drop 10 lbs and play DE fulltime.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Turk's natural position is a 3rd man in the DT roatation. Bring him in our passing downs and in the cover 2 he would be a beast. Him playing DE is just stupid, for this year we have nobody so he has to.

Smed1065
08-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Stupid sacks,

Count Alex's Losses
08-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Turk's natural position is a 3rd man in the DT roatation. Bring him in our passing downs and in the cover 2 he would be a beast. Him playing DE is just stupid, for this year we have nobody so he has to.

Right now that guy is Boone.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2008, 02:19 AM
Right now that guy is Boone.

And it should be Turk for the future.

Smed1065
08-17-2008, 02:25 AM
And it should be Turk for the future.

Because its his position?

If he does good at DE, we need to replace him because its not his position?

CupidStunt
08-17-2008, 07:33 AM

I saw three plays closely.

First - nothing
Second - Dorsey gets double-teamed and still collapsed the pocket, so the outside pressure got there and Warner couldn't get step up
Third - Dorsey was double-teamed, they gave it to the RB and took it up the gut ... Sir, meet Mr. Glenn Dorsey. BOOM.

cdcox
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Arizona make the Super Bowl.

Count Alex's Losses
01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Our defense held a Super Bowl offense to 86 yards in one half.

What further proof do we need that Gunther and Herm have the defense on the right track?

"Bob" Dobbs
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM

Nostradamus!