PDA

View Full Version : Missing .bin file.

milkman
08-17-2008, 03:01 PM
My wife's computer AVG scan is warning her that she's missing a .bin file.

How does she repair that?

What is a .bin file?

DaFace
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I found response on Yahoo answers. No guarantees that it's accurate, but it sounds right...

The missing .bin file is a part of the set of update files sent everyday...it's just that the .AVG update servers didn't distribute the .bin file along with the other files that make up the virus database update, so the AVG program rejected todays update and is still using yesterday's virus database. That means that you're still protected and the program is working. AVG updates the program everyday, so at the very least the missing .bin file problem will be corrected within 24 hours.

DO NOT REINSTALL the program. When you do that you actually put your PC at greater risk because the AVG install file on the website will not include the most recent virus database - you will end up using a database that may be as much as a week old, maybe more. Just leave the program as is and the .bin problem will go away within the next 24 hours.

DaFace
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
If you really want to try and manually fix it...

1) go to http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-update
2) make a directory (file) on your desktop called AVG
3) download AVI: 270.6.4
4) download IAVI: / 1616
5) move the dowloaded files to the directory you made called AVG
6) launch AVG
7) select tools -> update from directory
Cool select the directory called AVG where you put the downloads

milkman
08-17-2008, 03:10 PM
As long as you're here, can you tell me how she can increase her memory setting on her computer?

DaFace
08-17-2008, 03:26 PM
As long as you're here, can you tell me how she can increase her memory setting on her computer?

Memory setting? Typically your memory is a hardware thing. If you're talking about virtual memory, the setting is in...

Start...Control Panel...System...Advanced...Performance (Settings)...Advanced...Virtual Memory (Change)

But I wouldn't mess with that if you don't have a major reason to. What's the issue?

milkman
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Memory setting? Typically your memory is a hardware thing. If you're talking about virtual memory, the setting is in...

Start...Control Panel...System...Advanced...Performance (Settings)...Advanced...Virtual Memory (Change)

But I wouldn't mess with that if you don't have a major reason to. What's the issue?

She's in PSP Animation shop, after completing creating her graphic, and she hits "Save as" to put in a file, she gets a message "Not enough memory, close any open files, and try again".

She does this, and she gets the same message, except it adds "Increase memory settings".

DaFace
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
She's in PSP Animation shop, after completing creating her graphic, and she hits "Save as" to put in a file, she gets a message "Not enough memory, close any open files, and try again".

She does this, and she gets the same message, except it adds "Increase memory settings".

Hmm....well, you can try increasing the memory in that place I mentioned. Not sure if that'll cure it or not, though.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2008, 03:54 PM
avg update server was down ... try it again

milkman
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Hmm....well, you can try increasing the memory in that place I mentioned. Not sure if that'll cure it or not, though.

She decided to try this, so she changed the setting from 1024 to 1124.

Any comments?

DaFace
08-17-2008, 05:47 PM
She decided to try this, so she changed the setting from 1024 to 1124.

Any comments?

Basically, what that setting does is controls how much of your hard drive is available for "virtual memory" when your physical memory has run out. By default, I think it's equal to the amount of physical memory you have in your PC.

You might have some luck with that, but if you've got plenty of hard drive space, I'd up it to 1500-2000.

Once again, I'm not 100% sure this will fix your issue. It could be some sort of program-specific memory setting that I don't know about.

J Diddy
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Basically, what that setting does is controls how much of your hard drive is available for "virtual memory" when your physical memory has run out. By default, I think it's equal to the amount of physical memory you have in your PC.

You might have some luck with that, but if you've got plenty of hard drive space, I'd up it to 1500-2000.

Once again, I'm not 100% sure this will fix your issue. It could be some sort of program-specific memory setting that I don't know about.

it's almost like there isn't enough hard drive space

milkman
08-17-2008, 07:36 PM
it's almost like there isn't enough hard drive space

Damn, that's just what she said!

phisherman
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
the kinds of memory errors that you're speaking of above are usually more of a symptom of file corruption than anything