PDA

View Full Version : Life Low Impact Exercises

luv
08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm sick and tired of gaining the weight back I lost last year and feeling tired all the time. I can't go work out at the gym at work, because I don't know what's low impact and what's not. The only thing I know of is walking. I like to walk, but it might be nice to change it up or find something I can do inside if it's raining.

I mean low impact as in nothing strenuous on my back. I'm 31, and I've been told I could already be a condidate for a three level fusion in my lower back. Usually, it's something tramatic that's happened or something that you've done over and over for a long time. I was a very active kid. I used to compete in roller skating. Took quite a few falls, so maybe that weakened my back some. Whenever I hit puberty, I gained a lot of weight in explicably. Had problems keeping it off ever since. Sudden weight gain also added stress to my back.

Now, with my back being how it is, and not knowing what exercises I can do, it takes me eating less than 800 calories per day to lose any weight. HELP!!! Does anyone know of any exercises that would be good for me and not hurt my back? Same for workout equipment.

kstater
08-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Swimming?

DeezNutz
Elliptical.

Guru
eliptical

Bugeater
08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Beer lifting.

Bowser
Get on one of those ergonomically correct bikes, and pedal away. Or, an EFX machine. Those are easier on your knees and back.

Bill Parcells
Vigorous Sex

luv
08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Elliptical.

I'll have to look that one up.

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Simulates running/walking but is supposed to be much easier on the body. You'll know the type of machine when you see it, even if the name doesn't ring a bell.

luv
Vigorous Sex

Yeah. Like that's an option.

Bill Parcells

That's your best bet. you sweat your ass off on that and burn a lot of calories.

I use that because my knee is ****ed up.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Simulates running/walking but is supposed to be much easier on the body. You'll know the type of machine when you see it, even if the name doesn't ring a bell.

http://www.soletreadmills.com/products.php?type=ellipticals

You wanna buy me one?

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:07 PM

You wanna buy me one?

Try this. You don't need top o' the line. One of these should do nicely.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=elliptical&ic=48_0

Bill Parcells

You wanna buy me one?

http://www.soletreadmills.com/images/elliptical_thumb/e25-06.jpg

You're better off going to a gym that has a lot of them. wow, those ****ing things are expensive.

BigVE
Yeah, they are pricey but IMO they are worth it. It would be worth it to spend a little more and get a good one instead of a cheapy.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I may look into it, but with my finances and job situation, I'll have to hold off. Any free exercises?

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I think you could get something decent for around $500. The $400 Walmart model would probably do you justice. I know a lot of folks will say that you need to upgrade to a better model, but it's kinda like televisions: You're not going to get all the bells and whistles, but you'll still get the basic function that you need.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Wii Fit?

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I may look into it, but with my finances and job situation, I'll have to hold off. Any free exercises?

Bike. Not the Vulture kind, although this type might lead to a form of exercise previously suggested.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Wii Fit?

$$$

You all could take up a collection and get me one. :D

luv
08-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Bike. Not the Vulture kind, although this type might lead to a form of exercise previously suggested.

LMAO

I don't see anything wrong with that.

noa
08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Have you tried yoga for your back? I would recommend just getting a book or a DVD for some basic back stretches/poses. Spending 20-30 minutes just stretching and doing yoga positions a few times a week can really go far for back pain (at least in my experience). I was not flexible at all when I started, but little by little every week I improved and now I can do some cool stretches I never thought I would pull off. And its budget friendly.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Have you tried yoga for your back? I would recommend just getting a book or a DVD for some basic back stretches/poses. Spending 20-30 minutes just stretching and doing yoga positions a few times a week can really go far for back pain (at least in my experience). I was not flexible at all when I started, but little by little every week I improved and now I can do some cool stretches I never thought I would pull off.

I have some stretches that I do, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something that's going to burn some calories.

Bwana
08-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Buy a bag (if you have a place to hang one) and a set of gloves. You'll smoke the weight so fast, you won't know what hit you.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Buy a bag (if you have a place to hang one) and a set of gloves. You'll smoke the weight so fast, you won't know what hit you.

I thought about that last year when I was dieting. I thought about getting my dad a punching bag to hang in his garage. That would be fun, relieve stress, and burn calories.

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:18 PM

True story? How often and how long? Interesting...

noa
08-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I have some stretches that I do, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something that's going to burn some calories.

I hear ya. If you stick with it and get into more complex positions, you'll actually end up burning a lot of calories. The thing with yoga is that you would probably want to do all sorts of positions eventually, not just ones that work your back, so everything balances out. If you get into doing that, it can really be a vigorous work out, but it definitely takes some time to get to that point.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:21 PM

http://www.healthstatus.com/cbc.html

This will help you figure that out. Go down to Boxing - punching bag.

noa
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
A pilates ball might also be a good investment. You can do a lot with them and it won't cost much. I'm sure there's some good stuff you can do for your back with a pilates ball.

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.healthstatus.com/cbc.html

This will help you figure that out. Go down to Boxing - punching bag.

Thanks. Cool site.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
A pilates ball might also be a good investment. You can do a lot with them and it won't cost much. I'm sure there's some good stuff you can do for your back with a pilates ball.

Those are those big balls, right? (That sounds so wrong)

I think that would help. There are just some things I can't do. Herniated disk and two others deteriorated. Certain wrong movements send the message of PAIN.

noa
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM

I think that would help. There are just some things I can't do. Herniated disk and two others deteriorated. Certain wrong movements send the message of PAIN.

Yeah, the big balls :). Sorry to hear about your back. Wish I knew more. Just did a basic google search and some sites say those balls can be good for back pain, others say that it can worsen your back pain if you don't do it right (which could be really bad in your case). Not really sure what to believe, but it might be worth exploring.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, the big balls :). Sorry to hear about your back. Wish I knew more. Just did a basic google search and some sites say those balls can be good for back pain, others say that it can worsen your back pain if you don't do it right (which could be really bad in your case). Not really sure what to believe, but it might be worth exploring.

I appreciate the help with the research (that goes for everyone).

Bwana
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM

It depends what kind of shape you are in when you start the workout. I am a kick boxer, so I use hands, elbows and feet, but in Luv's case, it could put a lot of stress on her back from the sounds of it, so she should stick with hands, at least to start with. I work it for a half an hour right after I hit the weights. I have an olympic weight set, as well as dumbells, ranging from 5 to 80 pounds each, as well as as stair stepper. It takes up half my garage. :D It's nice though, because I can workout on my time and don't have to worry about hitting a gym. I also have a decent stereo and CD player in there to set the stage. I TRY to get in there three times a week, but I am on the road a lot and make sure to stay at hotels with workout equipment when I can. Most of the time their stuff is complete crap and they don't have free weights or a bag. (unless I am around Thermopolis, WY...WOW) If you haven't been working out, in five minutes, you will be sucking more wind than a shopvac, but rest, give it time and you will be up to 30 minutes in no time. One more thing, if you are going to be laying into the bag full power, make sure to wrap, or tape your wrists, or you can really tweak them.

Douche Baggins
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Swimming is your best bet.

kstater
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM

So you're saying you like small balls?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Swimming is your best bet.

I'd have to learn how (seriously). I can doggy paddle.

I have this small fear of drowning.

Douche Baggins
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd have to learn how (seriously). I can doggy paddle.

I have this small fear of drowning.

Are you serious? Swimming is so easy. I hadn't gone for a swim in years before a few months ago and it was just like riding a bike.

You're not going to sink. Your body floats.

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
It depends what kind of shape you are in when you start the workout. I am a kick boxer, so I use hands, elbows and feet, but in Luv's case, it could put a lot of stress on her back from the sounds of it, so she should stick with hands, at least to start with. I work it for a half an hour right after I hit the weights. I have an olympic weight set, as well as dumbells, ranging from 5 to 80 pounds each, as well as as stair stepper. It takes up half my garage. :D It's nice though, because I can workout on my time and don't have to worry about hitting a gym. I also have a decent stereo and CD player in there to set the stage. I TRY to get in there three times a week, but I am on the road a lot and make sure to stay at hotels with workout equipment when I can. Most of the time their stuff is complete crap and they don't have free weights or a bag. (unless I am around Thermopolis, WY...WOW) If you haven't been working out, in five minutes, you will be sucking more wind than a shopvac, but rest, give it time and you will be up to 30 minutes in no time. One more thing, if you are going to be laying into the bag full power, make sure to wrap, or tape your wrists, or you can really tweak them.

Thanks. I'm in pretty decent shape, but nothing like I used to be. I was an athlete in college (yeah, glory days, lol), so my workout schedule was pretty intense. Now, I hit the treadmill everyday in addition to walking the dog. The bag idea sounds promising because this would be a way of not only burning calories but also strengthening some upper-body muscles.

Good idea about the tape. Afraid I might have learned that the hard way.

Bwana
08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Good idea about the tape. Afraid I might have learned that the hard way.

Trust me, you don't want to do that. I still have a wrist that's not right from 15 years ago. I was fighting in a black belt tournament for first place when it happened. They just started making people wear those goofy chest vests and I wasn't taped up. I drilled the guy with a punch and tore up my wrist. I ended up finishing the fight and taking first, but looking back, I would rather have my wrist in one piece. ;) Just be sure to at least use tape, so it won't bend and you should be fine.

BCD
08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
My son's mom had a spinal fusion 5 years ago. She's 34. I don't think she has any problems.

luv
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
My son's mom had a spinal fusion 5 years ago. She's 34. I don't think she has any problems.

Mine would be three levels. My doctor said I have a weak back to begin with. Doing that level of surgery now would cause more of my back to be weak. He said he usually does three level fusions on people twice my age. He was afraid, with as active as I like to be, surgery now would only lead to more surgery later if I'm not careful.

KCwolf
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Beer lifting.

My personal favorite......

luv
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
My personal favorite......

You'd pick beer lifting over vigorous sex??? :spock:

Bwana
08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
You'd pick beer lifting over vigorous sex??? :spock:

If you're really really good, you can do both at the same time.....just saying. :thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
If your lower back is that bad, you need to focus on strengthening your hamstrings, as well as increasing their flexibility. Most people who have low back problems have tight/weak hamstrings and hip flexors, and those are the muscles that exacerbate or are the root cause of your back problems.

Swimming is the best for a combination of low impact and high intensity, and elliptical would be a good bet, but a decent (non wobbly) one will cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

Bikes are ok, but I think you'd be better off biking. If you can stand to run at all, you should really do speed interval training--it ups your metabolism, and you don't have to run for a half hour to see results.

Do sprints for two minutes, then two minutes of walk/jog, and alternate.

Most of all, eat better. Losing weight is more than just exercising, Nutrition is an important component.

the Talking Can
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
yoga

and talk to a damn doctor

Coach
08-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Are you serious? Swimming is so easy. I hadn't gone for a swim in years before a few months ago and it was just like riding a bike.

You're not going to sink. Your body floats.

Yeah, plus she does have those two floating devices that'll help her keep afloat anyways.

luv
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
yoga

and talk to a damn doctor

I have been seeing a doctor. He just mentioned walking. I've had three epidural steroid injections.

Phobia
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Whenever I hit puberty, I gained a lot of weight in explicably.

People gain weight because they're taking in more calories than they're burning. I know you know that and I mean no disrespect. That's why you gained weight.

luv
08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
People gain weight because they're taking in more calories than they're burning. I know you know that and I mean no disrespect. That's why you gained weight.

Yes, I know why people gain weight. What I found hard to understand was gaining so much in about a three month period. Did my metabolism decide to just stop? I'm not trying to make excuses here. I'm trying to find exercises I can do to help burn calories that won't kill my back.

Phobia
08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, I know why people gain weight. What I found hard to understand was gaining so much in about a three month period. Did my metabolism decide to just stop? I'm not trying to make excuses here. I'm trying to find exercises I can do to help burn calories that won't kill my back.
I know. I just found the choice of word "inexplicably" strange. I think it's great that you're seeking to do something about it. More power to ya.

luv
08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I know. I just found the choice of word "inexplicably" strange. I think it's great that you're seeking to do something about it. More power to ya.

All that walking yesterday was good for me. :)

B_Ambuehl
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
The main stress on your back is probably having to sit down so much throughout the day. There almost double the stress on the spine sitting down vs standing up. You should take periodic breaks throughout the day where you get on your feet and stretch the hipflexors. You could almost assuredly benefit from some glute activation work as well. Look it up for examples.

As far as cardio exercise, let pain be your guide. Anything that doesn't hurt is fair game.

DeezNutz
08-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Trust me, you don't want to do that. I still have a wrist that's not right from 15 years ago. I was fighting in a black belt tournament for first place when it happened. They just started making people wear those goofy chest vests and I wasn't taped up. I drilled the guy with a punch and tore up my wrist. I ended up finishing the fight and taking first, but looking back, I would rather have my wrist in one piece. ;) Just be sure to at least use tape, so it won't bend and you should be fine.

Bwana's Planet reputation is becoming more clear to me...:)