PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Vacuum sealers

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Anybody use 'em? What kind of things do you vacuum seal, and what are your hints, tricks and tips?

I vacuum seal a lot of pasta. It freezes pretty well. I also vacuum seal and freeze my compound butters and leftover meats with success.

Goapics1
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Is this something off of an infomercial?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Is this something off of an infomercial?

I think they kinda got their start there, but now there are cheaper, better alternatives.

I also save leftover wine that way, particularly for cooking. If I have any left over, I'll pour the wine in ice cube trays and freeze them, then throw them in a seal bag and do that. They'll stay good for a great deal longer.

Demonpenz
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Vacuums suck

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Vacuums suck

Yes. Yes they do.

Goapics1
08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I think they kinda got their start there, but now there are cheaper, better alternatives.

I also save leftover wine that way, particularly for cooking. If I have any left over, I'll pour the wine in ice cube trays and freeze them, then throw them in a seal bag and do that. They'll stay good for a great deal longer.

Why don't u just buy some cheap tupper ware at Wal Mart for $10? Sounds a lot easier, IMHO.

Redrum_69
08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
your mom is like a vacuum sealer...

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Why don't u just buy some cheap tupper ware at Wal Mart for $10? Sounds a lot easier, IMHO.

Nowhere near as good, I can vouch for that. The thing that spoils food quickly is air - if you take all the air out of the bag, it will not spoil a LOT slower. I've also noticed that if I vacuum seal something to freeze (which is just about the ONLY reason I do it), it never gets freezer burn.

Rausch
08-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Could this help one in the disposal and concealment of a body?

chasedude
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM

I bet you hogfarmer has some ideas.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I doubt it. But you might consider reverse-vacuum sealing.

Saulbadguy
08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I use them. They work very well. We use the foodsaver. You can vacuum seal silverware so it doesn't get tarnished. The canisters work very well too.

RJ
08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
We vacuum sealed Grandpa when he passed away.

It creeped me out a little bit at first, the way his face looked with the plastic wrapped around.....like he was disguised so he could rob a liquor store or something......but you get used to it. He didn't want to be cremated and the savings from a standard burial was quite substantial. Not to mention that he's guaranteed fresh for 25 years.

So far the only drawback has been that Grandma is scared shitless of Zip-Loc bags. Sometimes for fun we leave one in her sock drawer. You should hear her scream when she sticks her hand in there, it's a hoot!

tooge
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I have had the foodsaver for quite a few years, and mine just died about 3 months ago. I vacuum seal my deer meat, chili, meats I buy at Sam's, and berries and jalapenos from the garden. No freezer burn at all. My wife just bought that little gizmo from the grocery store made by Reynolds. It is battery operated and costs $10 and comes with the batteries. It is hand held and looks like a big electric toothbrush. I laughed at her for getting it, but it actually works great. I sealed some salmon yesterday. And, being portable, it could go to tailgates, camping, canoeing, etc. I figure if it only lasts a few months, it was $10 well spent.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, tooge, I seal my leftover BBQ. It's pretty tough for a couple to go through a 10-pound brisket, a pork butt and a couple racks of spare ribs before you're either sick and tired of BBQ or it goes bad.

Reerun_KC
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
your mom is like a vacuum sealer...
Your mom is like a shotgun, give her a cock and she will blow.

Gonzo
08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I use the hell outta my food saver when I butcher Deer and other wild game. It works great.

TrebMaxx
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
We got a Foodsaver and a Seal-O-Meal. The foodsaver is the better of the two, my wife received the Seal-O-Meal as a gift from her mother so she keeps it around. Being that it is just the Mrs. and myself in our household they come in handy. We can buy larger quantities
of meats, etc. and save some money at purchase time. Also as mentioned, two people can not go through something like a smoked brisket before we are sick of it or it spoils.

tooge
08-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, tooge, I seal my leftover BBQ. It's pretty tough for a couple to go through a 10-pound brisket, a pork butt and a couple racks of spare ribs before you're either sick and tired of BBQ or it goes bad.

I used to take mine to the competitions and since you only trun in a small amount, we would have a ton to take home. Then I will just put the entire bad in boining water for a few minutes to warm it up later.

Fish
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Are you transporting some pot?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I used to take mine to the competitions and since you only trun in a small amount, we would have a ton to take home. Then I will just put the entire bad in boining water for a few minutes to warm it up later.

Yep. I've even found microwaving works better using them (assuming you don't cut them open). Since it holds the moisture in the bag, everything doesn't dry out.

Works very well on pasta.

Rausch
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Some can drive drunk, some can't...