PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Spore

KILLER_CLOWN
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyone looking forward to this game?

Robin Williams having a little fun playing

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V5TXEUiR1Xk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V5TXEUiR1Xk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chasedude
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I think I might pick it up when it comes out, it looks like a cool game.

QuikSsurfer
08-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Creature demo came out about a month ago. I'm definitely interested.

Bowser
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
How long has this thing been in development? Seems like we've heard about this game forever.

Rausch
08-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Waiting for the skins/GROB/murder:adultmod upgrade...

Jenson71
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I never get tired of Robin Williams' "Mah Ennglash noot soh gud" opening.

SithCeNtZ
08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I have high hopes for the game, but I just can't shake the feeling that this game is going to be a huge letdown gameplay wise. Watching the gameplay video previews, it looks like the actuall gameplay is pretty easy/boring while the main fun is in building your creature and the buildings that they eventually enhabit. I'm sure that part will be able to hold you over for a time, but eventually it's just going to end up being a game that loses its luster very quickly.

SithCeNtZ
09-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Bump with it coming out this weekend. The reviews pretty much agreed with my prediction earlier last month. I wish I could rent it, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth 50 bucks.

allen_kcCard
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Call me a midnight_dumbass, but I might just go and get a torrent DL of it and try it there first...if I love it, I'll go buy it, but if the main fun is just getting to the space exploration and I can do that in less than a day or two...meh.

I would like to see where it is pretty dang hard to get through it the first time, and then when you get there legit, then ou can skip around a little more easily if you so choose.

Valiant
09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Coworker bought the deluxe today.. For some reason no street date on that one.. the regular one is outrageous priced until sunday..

Silock
09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I got it. It's fun so far. Not the best game in the world, but certainly not the worst. It's got me hooked.

MTG#10
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Call me a midnight_dumbass, but I might just go and get a torrent DL of it and try it there first...if I love it, I'll go buy it, but if the main fun is just getting to the space exploration and I can do that in less than a day or two...meh.
People can call me a midnight_dumbass all they want, I download games all the time and never buy them. Same for movies, music, and apps. I dont care what anyone says, internet piracy isnt even close to the same thing as stealing a laptop sitting in a restaurant.

chasedude
09-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I got it. It's fun so far. Not the best game in the world, but certainly not the worst. It's got me hooked.

Almost my exact thoughts for the game. I got to the "social" part of the game last night.

Mr Luzcious
09-08-2008, 07:14 PM
It looks kind of cool. I think I'll pass on it though, for now.

kaplin42
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
People can call me a midnight_dumbass all they want, I download games all the time and never buy them. Same for movies, music, and apps. I dont care what anyone says, internet piracy isnt even close to the same thing as stealing a laptop sitting in a restaurant.

but its the same thing as walking into best buy, grabbing the game and walking out with it, with out paying. In the end, you're still a thief.

Ari Chi3fs
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
but its the same thing as walking into best buy, grabbing the game and walking out with it, with out paying. In the end, you're still a thief.

If it wasn't for our internet piracy, you guys would be forced to pay less for your games and videos.

So THERE!!

chasedude
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone having trouble logging into their account? Multiple attempts failed here. I go to the website and it says it's under construction. I sure hope it's not hacked already I really like the game.

Adept Havelock
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I have high hopes for the game, but I just can't shake the feeling that this game is going to be a huge letdown gameplay wise. Watching the gameplay video previews, it looks like the actuall gameplay is pretty easy/boring while the main fun is in building your creature and the buildings that they eventually enhabit. I'm sure that part will be able to hold you over for a time, but eventually it's just going to end up being a game that loses its luster very quickly.

The way you describe it failing reminds me of the gameplay in Civilization.

That's a game that never lost its luster, IMO.

Adept Havelock
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
internet piracy isnt even close to the same thing as stealing a laptop sitting in a restaurant.

Actually, it's the exact same thing. Theft is theft.

Not that I expect you to be intelligent or morally astute enough to recognize it.

Basileus777
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Considering the draconian DRM that this game has, I certainly won't be buying it. I'm not going to support this shit because I know that EA's next game will have similarly crap DRM and that there are other game companies out there considering Starforce or Securom for their future products.

When will these insecure executives learn that DRM doesn't work and only impacts people who actually purchased the product? Giving pirates a superior product to those who actually pay for the game doesn't acomplish anything but to encourage more piracy.

Silock
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Considering the draconian DRM that this game has, I certainly won't be buying it. I'm not going to support this shit because I know that EA's next game will have similarly crap DRM and that there are other game companies out there considering Starforce or Securom for their future products.

When will these insecure executives learn that DRM doesn't work and only impacts people who actually purchased the product? Giving pirates a superior product to those who actually pay for the game doesn't acomplish anything but to encourage more piracy.

Crap DRM? I haven't noticed anything untoward.

The only thing it's ever asked me to do is put in the product registration code. Once.

What's the big deal? So what if it's not pirate-able?

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM

The only thing it's ever asked me to do is put in the product registration code. Once.

They limit the number of installs.

And DRM in general is despicable.

Basileus777
09-10-2008, 10:17 PM

You can only install the game three times before you have to call EA support (not a free number) and beg for more installations. It also installs securom onyour computer which is essentially a virus that can't be easily removed.

It also doesn't affect piracy at all. The game was cracked and put on Bittorrent days before it was released. Pirates don't have to deal with the DRM, only paying customers.

Silock
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
They limit the number of installs.

And DRM in general is despicable.

Hadn't noticed.

DRM may be despicable, but so is stealing.

Mr Luzcious
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Hadn't noticed.

You can only install it three times. That sucks. There's gotta be a better way.

Basileus777
09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
You can only install it three times. That sucks. There's gotta be a better way.

The best method of preventing piracy is having a subscription based game such as MMOs.Or you can encourage people to pay for the game by giving significant online content and updates, which is what Valve does. Keep providing online content and people will pay for the game. Pirated games almost never support online features.

DRM like what EA is employing in Spore simply doesn't work. The game was cracked and available online before it was even officially released. If you want to pirate Spore, you're 6-8 clicks away from doing it right now. You can then install that version as many times as you want, and not pay a dime.

The only difference between the pirated version and the legitimate version of Spore is the pirated version can't use any of Spore's online functionality. This is because you have to have a unique key that registers on the EA servers to allow you access. This is, by far, the best defense against pirates... and it works great. It's also pretty much uncrackable.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Hadn't noticed.

What's worse than stealing?

Treating legitimate customers like they're pirates. Windows does this. Movie studios do this.

Whatever happened to the good ole philosophical idea of "innocent until proven guilty"?

patteeu
09-11-2008, 01:39 AM

Actually, it's the exact same thing. Theft is theft.

Not that I expect you to be intelligent or morally astute enough to recognize it.

Not really. One huge difference between downloading a game and actual theft (e.g. grabbing a copy of the game from best buy and walking out) is that downloading doesn't deprive anyone of anything physical. If you take a game from best buy, they can't sell that copy. If you duplicate your friend's game, he's still got his copy.

Silock
09-11-2008, 01:46 AM
But you're not really paying for the copy of the game. You're paying for the development of the game. The actual materials could be given away for free.

cookster50
09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
But you're not really paying for the copy of the game. You're paying for the development of the game. The actual materials could be given away for free.

Don't bother arguing, someone with that mindset can only have it changed when the cops show up....

KILLER_CLOWN
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Well played the game, liked it up until the space stage. Then it becomes a micro managing nightmare. Everytime i leave my home planet pirates attack, an ecological disaster happens or another race declares war on me. Too bad because the galaxy is HUGE, it could have been so much better.

Almost forgot DRM, it blows badly although not quite as bad as hardware destroying StarForce nonetheless treating customers like criminals is not the right approach.

Rausch
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
What's worse than stealing?

Unwanted anal sex, for starters...

KcMizzou
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
My boys are begging for this game. (Even doing extra chores without being asked. :eek:)

I'll probably be picking it up tomorrow.

patteeu
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM

While that's true, the difference I pointed out remains. You're still not depriving anyone of the physical game or the intellectual capital generated by the development of the game. The creators of the game are suffering an opportunity cost (because you might have been a paying customer if you hadn't copied) but not an actual loss. At least, not a full loss.

Effective Loss = (Percent Chance that you would have bought the Game) * (Cost of Game)

In the case of theft, the victim suffers an actual loss.

Effective Loss = Cost of Game

irishjayhawk
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Unwanted anal sex, for starters...

Well, yes.... :p

HC_Chief
09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Spore is a really fun, addictive game. It's like an uber Civ, but with a massive scope. Through in some evolutionary science and behavioral dynamics into the mix. Oh yeah, and a ton of creativity: you can design any sort of creature/craft/structure you want, then customize them with various gadgets and weapons.

I have played it non-stop since I bought it :thumb:

Silock
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
While that's true, the difference I pointed out remains. You're still not depriving anyone of the physical game or the intellectual capital generated by the development of the game. The creators of the game are suffering an opportunity cost (because you might have been a paying customer if you hadn't copied) but not an actual loss. At least, not a full loss.

Effective Loss = (Percent Chance that you would have bought the Game) * (Cost of Game)

In the case of theft, the victim suffers an actual loss.

Effective Loss = Cost of Game

Well, however you want to rationalize it, it's still stealing.

patteeu
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Well, however you want to rationalize it, it's still stealing.

It is, by definition, against the law. It's distinguishable from traditional stealing though, as I've pointed out.

Silock
09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
It is, by definition, against the law. It's distinguishable from traditional stealing though, as I've pointed out.

Maybe by dictionary definition, but in practical terms, it's the same thing.

irishjayhawk
09-14-2008, 01:43 AM
http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/09/12/spore-drm-piracy-tech-security-cx_ag_mji_0912spore.html?feed=rss_popstories

Good story about DRM and how it is useless, especially in the case of SPORE.

Also, along with that I came across a group of people mad at the game changes EA pushed for.

Here's a video that apparently is much, much deeper, more complex, more advanced and truer to evolution than the game. In fact, it seems more adult.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8dvMDFOFnA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8dvMDFOFnA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

patteeu
09-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Maybe by dictionary definition, but in practical terms, it's the same thing.

Maybe in the same way that murder and assault are the same things.

Silock
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe in the same way that murder and assault are the same things.

More like murder and manslaughter.

Rausch
01-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Bump.

I keep taking out about 3/4ths the other city states after the tribal stage (during the "civ" stage) and then for some reason the game just shifts and I get pw0n3d.

Like 4 times in a row now.

Not sure if it's an overall strategy problem, resource management problem, I don't know. Seems like Once I'm the largest state everyone else teams up and pushes my $3it in...