PDA

View Full Version : Computers IT guys: What helpdesk product does your company use?

dirk digler
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I am looking into switching our companies help desk since we have outgrown it and I am curious what your companies use and if you like it or not.

If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it.

chasedude
08-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I use UltraVNC very easy Executable can be made to connect users with your system. I even have one I created for home use for when my mother screws up her system.

Here's the link to get you there.

http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/create/index.html

Saulbadguy
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
By help desk system do you mean remote tools, or do you mean a trouble tracking system?

dirk digler
08-18-2008, 02:24 PM
By help desk system do you mean remote tools, or do you mean a trouble tracking system?

Trouble tracking systems.

Sorry for any confusion

Saulbadguy
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Trouble tracking systems.

Sorry for any confusion

We use BMC Service Desk Express, but I don't like it. It is not very intuitive and too complicated.

I like Numara Track-It! I always had luck with that at my old job.

dirk digler
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
We use BMC Service Desk Express, but I don't like it. It is not very intuitive and too complicated.

I like Numara Track-It! I always had luck with that at my old job.

Earlier today I downloaded Track-It 8.5 and I really didn't care for it.

I am still playing with it so maybe my opinion will change

Saulbadguy
08-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Earlier today I downloaded Track-It 8.5 and I really didn't care for it.

I am still playing with it so maybe my opinion will change

I used it for about a year, always thought it was easy to administrate and easy to use.

Iowanian
08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't, but this is like the IT Guy bugzapper.....

Before you all fly into the pretty light.....

I'm looking at doing some work at remote client sites, that would require me to be logged on for several hours at a time.

Do you have a recommendation on the best remote login site?

pcanywhere, gotomypc dot com?

how costly?
Any to avoid?

dirk digler
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm looking at doing some work at remote client sites, that would require me to be logged on for several hours at a time.

how costly?
Any to avoid?

I have used gotomypc and it worked great. It is pricey though. The 1-month plan is $19.95 though they do have a free trial that maybe you could use until it expires.

chasedude
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM

how costly?
Any to avoid?

Iowanian, the remote helpdesk login program I use it very helpful and FREE. It does require someone on the other side to execute the remote link but It can be up for hours at a time.

Edit: also if it's a windows system you can turn on RDP (Remote Desktop) and get in that way.

Fish
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
We use a system called BMC Remedy Action Request System: http://www.bmc.com/products/proddocview/0,2832,19052_19429_22735072_106757,00.html

It works well, but it's expensive.

If you're looking for a cheap easy tracking system, you might look into Bugzilla: http://www.bugzilla.org/

It's free, and pretty customizable.

Saulbadguy
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
We use a system called BMC Remedy Action Request System: http://www.bmc.com/products/proddocview/0,2832,19052_19429_22735072_106757,00.html

It works well, but it's expensive.

If you're looking for a cheap easy tracking system, you might look into Bugzilla: http://www.bugzilla.org/

It's free, and pretty customizable.

Aren't both of those focused more on application development?

Mr. Plow
08-18-2008, 04:15 PM
For remote desktop control - I'd recommend UltraVNC. I use it for all of our servers so that I can connect whenever I want or wherever I am.

The program requires that someone at the computer actually set it up and start the program so that you can log on. You assign a port, they connect through that port.

On our servers, I leave the hosting program running all the time so that I can get in at anytime. I log into our firewall, log into the server, do what I need to, and log out. Simple.

I know someone else recommended it - so I'll say ditto.

SLAG
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
At work We use and are actively work on our own V-Tiger build(Love Open Source)

I have used Unisys Peregrine or something like that and HEAT

V-tiger is the best i have have had to use professionally at this point.

For remote Desktop I recommend www.logmein.com for beginners, its free and works well even though firewalls, Also in the windows category i second RDP its quick and there is a RDP client for all major platforms.

On OSX Apple Remote Desktop is pretty fun, but logmein works with OSX as well, you can always ssh into Darwin once you turn it on.

for Linux- my Favorite Remote App of all is NoMachine NX, Its the best i have found, i think it really simplified xtunneling and made it easy.

Hope this helped

Fish
08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Aren't both of those focused more on application development?

Both of these are very flexible. We use Remedy strictly for ticket management, and it works very well. We don't use it for software or application development at all. There is a web-based client that you can access from anywhere.

Iowanian
08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
UltraVNC

Using this option(or the others) Can I be given a login-password by the network admin and just get in when I need to do work, or would they have to log me in, any time I need to work.

Basically, I'd be doing work on a PC within their network, pulling and using data from their servers to perform some contract work, that would be somewhat routine...like once a month probably, for a day or two at a time. Assuring them security will be a requirement to have this option.

I had no idea what the costs were for programs like gotomypc.....Can you buy a yearly license? Use it at multiple client sites for the same price?

While it seems costly, if it saves me 5hrs of driving each way(thats 10hrs and a few hundred miles) its more than worth it.

I appreciate the help.

Mr. Plow
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Iowanian.....

UltraVNC has two programs - Viewer & Server.

Viewer is the program that you use to....well.....view/manage the desktop.

Server has to be on the pc that you are connecting to and running.

Personally, on the computers that I need to access almost daily, I have the Server program start at bootup. That way I can get into it at any time, day or night. You can essentially leave the server program running on the computer and then get in anytime you want.

It is fairly secure. On the server side, you assign a connection port and password. To connect from the viewer, you have to know the IP, port, and password.

Mr. Plow
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Also....UltraVNC - if you haven't researched it - is free.

Iowanian
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Very nice.

That sounds like a realistic solution to my issue.

I'm going to forward a link to their website to the Admin at the client site(assuming I get it)

Thanks!

Mr. Plow
08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
No prob. Hope it works as well as it does for me.