PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs Camp Buzz: Edwards wants to take advantage of defense’s speed

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/754724.html

Chiefs Camp Buzz: Edwards wants to take advantage of defense’s speed

Chiefs will tailor defense around speed

Herm Edwards said Monday that the Chiefs are experimenting with some defensive players in unusual positions or schemes to take advantage of the team’s speed. Edwards said the Chiefs are tinkering with the defense to create mismatches for offenses — and because Kansas City spent the offseason retooling with speed in mind.

“We built this defense for speed,” Edwards said. “We’ve got some speed guys. That’s the flexibility we have.”

Derrick Johnson practiced at weak-side linebacker Monday, and he also might line up sometimes as a pass rusher, Edwards said. Demorrio Williams also might rush the quarterback at times.

Edwards also is experimenting with the defensive line, using end Turk McBride and tackle Tank Tyler with the first team Monday. McBride had two sacks and forced a fumble in Saturday’s 27-17 loss to Arizona.

Edwards said Tyler and McBride struggled last year — they each started one game last year — because they were rookies.

“Now they’re grown up,” Edwards said.

Chiefs open facility

The Chiefs are in the process of moving into their renovated practice facilities and offices this week, and Monday’s practice was the team’s first day in their new practice locker room.

Edwards said the expanded offices should make coaches’ work more efficient because meeting space and training rooms are under one roof.

“It’s really grand,” he said.

The facility is scheduled for completion sometime in September.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ...

THE OFFENSE
Left tackle Branden Albert walked and did some light running without wearing a protective walking boot. It was the first time Albert participated in football activities without protection since he sprained his foot the first week of training camp. He’s still expected to miss the rest of preseason. … Larry Johnson fumbled after mishandling a handoff from Brodie Croyle. … Croyle hit receiver Dwayne Bowe on a deep post corner route for the day’s longest pass.

THE DEFENSE
Linebacker Donnie Edwards (hamstring) might return to practice this week and could play in next week’s preseason finale against St. Louis. … Linebacker Demorrio Williams intercepted a pass thrown by Croyle and deflected by Rashad Barksdale. Croyle threw the ball behind Jeff Webb, and Barksdale got a hand on it.

INJURY REPORT
Albert (foot), wide receiver Kevin Robinson (knee), linebacker Napoleon Harris (knee), running back Jamaal Charles (shoulder), tight end Brad Cottam (shoulder) and linebacker Edwards (hamstring) did not practice Monday.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2008, 01:05 AM
blah,blah,blah ....... horseshite

Phobia
08-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Speed? No kidding? There's a crazy, wild concept.

I think the offense should be built for fieldgoals.

beach tribe
08-19-2008, 07:37 AM
What's wrong with Cottam's shoulder?

Kerberos
08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I wonder is Maslowski and Hicks still need jobs?

Reerun_KC
08-19-2008, 08:11 AM

ROFL

Chief Chief
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM

And jeopardize the golden opportunity for Colquitt to repeat as team MVP? Shush yo' mouth!!

Spicy McHaggis
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Don't get it twisted, he's just a little dinged, it's okaaaaaaay.

King_Chief_Fan
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM

I's ooookkkaaaay. It just a little swole

Demonpenz
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
with the exeption of surtain, boone, D edwards, pollard. We have good speed

ILikeBigTiddys
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
How about moving bone crusher to LB. Thats what they should of done this off season.

BigChiefFan
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
We'll see what happens, but I'm not conviced we are going to be very good this year, speed or no speed. I see the defense around the middle of the pack and the offense as 20 or lower.

El Jefe
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Tony Dungy Jr, except his offense is a lot worse.

FAX
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
So .... we'll be able to run up to a guy real, real fast, fly right by, miss the tackle, and get to the Gatorade in an average of less than 4.6.

FAX

Fruit Ninja
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM
How about moving bone crusher to LB. Thats what they should of done this off season.

Nope, he's doing fine where he is.