PDA

View Full Version : Football Agree? Disagree?

CosmicPal
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Larry Johnson's Fantasy Evaluation from KFFL:

PROS: Johnson was on his way to setting personal bests in receiving, but a cracked bone in his foot caused him to miss the final eight games of the season. The team is going to limit him this offseason, so he should have adequate time to heal from the injury. The team drafted offensive guard Branden Albert in the first round, so Johnson will likely have a better line paving the way for him and additional help carrying the ball. The addition of running back Jamaal Charles in the third round should let Johnson get an additional break once in awhile and hopefully keep him healthier in 2008. From 2005-06, Johnson averaged an impressive 1,770 rushing yards and 18.5 rushing touchdowns per season. He is a capable receiver and a punishing runner in a conservative, ball-control offense.

CONS: Johnson struggled over the first half of the year, gaining just 559 rushing yards on 158 attempts. The 3.5 yards-per-carry average was a career low for him, and he managed just four total touchdowns in his half season of work. The team will also have a nearly completely reworked offensive line in 2008; there is the potential that the line could struggle as they work to gain chemistry and experience together. Johnson's NFL-record 416 carries in 2006 set him up for disaster in 2007, but can he ever again be the pre-2007 runner that teams feared? The team has no clear-cut answer at quarterback, which only amplifies defenses playing dishonestly against head coach Herman Edwards' already conservative offense. Coming off a serious injury, Johnson may not perform to the level that a first-round pick warrants.

FANTASY TIP: Johnson is worth picking in the first round of fantasy drafts in 2008, but he shouldn't go as high as he did in years past. Johnson's days of being a dominant back are probably behind him, but there is little reason why he can't be worthy of a late first-round fantasy pick. He rushed for better than 100 yards in three of his four games before the foot injury, starting to look more like the Johnson of prior years. He doesn't offer much extra for point-per-reception leagues, despite being a competent receiver, and you will need to back him up with a strong corps of rushers to help soften the blow should he succumb to injury once again. In addition to his punishing running style and excessive touches in recent seasons, Johnson turns 29 years old in November, which suggests he could be ready to slow down.

CoMoChief
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
The league I'm in (with a bunch of shitty mindless Rams fans)....I will be able to pick LJ up in the 2nd rd.

I got the 2nd overall pick.

AP and LJ here we come. <<<<<<< SBFOAT (sickest back field of all time)

ehhhhh Okla St had a sick backfield too in Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas........same with the 1990 LA Raiders........Jackson and Allen.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
LJ would be a steal in the 2nd round. IMO hes still a mid to late 1st rounder.

If he stays healthy i would guess 1200-1300 yards and 10-12 TD's minimum.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
mid 1st round ......

Johnson isn't a particularly good receiver or blocker

our passing game isn't good enough to let him just sit back there and pound the rock.

lots or 3rd and long means LJ is only on the field for 1st and 2nd down.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Johnson isn't a particularly good receiver

This is a misconception. Hes not Roger Craig, but hes not bad either.

Rec Yards TD's
03 - 1 2 0
04 22 278 2
05 33 343 1
06 41 410 2
07 30 186 1

Simply Red
08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Larry Johnson's Fantasy Evaluation from KFFL:

PROS: Johnson was on his way to setting personal bests in receiving, but a cracked bone in his foot caused him to miss the final eight games of the season. The team is going to limit him this offseason, so he should have adequate time to heal from the injury. The team drafted offensive guard Branden Albert in the first round, so Johnson will likely have a better line paving the way for him and additional help carrying the ball. The addition of running back Jamaal Charles in the third round should let Johnson get an additional break once in awhile and hopefully keep him healthier in 2008. From 2005-06, Johnson averaged an impressive 1,770 rushing yards and 18.5 rushing touchdowns per season. He is a capable receiver and a punishing runner in a conservative, ball-control offense.

CONS: Johnson struggled over the first half of the year, gaining just 559 rushing yards on 158 attempts. The 3.5 yards-per-carry average was a career low for him, and he managed just four total touchdowns in his half season of work. The team will also have a nearly completely reworked offensive line in 2008; there is the potential that the line could struggle as they work to gain chemistry and experience together. Johnson's NFL-record 416 carries in 2006 set him up for disaster in 2007, but can he ever again be the pre-2007 runner that teams feared? The team has no clear-cut answer at quarterback, which only amplifies defenses playing dishonestly against head coach Herman Edwards' already conservative offense. Coming off a serious injury, Johnson may not perform to the level that a first-round pick warrants.

FANTASY TIP: Johnson is worth picking in the first round of fantasy drafts in 2008, but he shouldn't go as high as he did in years past. Johnson's days of being a dominant back are probably behind him, but there is little reason why he can't be worthy of a late first-round fantasy pick. He rushed for better than 100 yards in three of his four games before the foot injury, starting to look more like the Johnson of prior years. He doesn't offer much extra for point-per-reception leagues, despite being a competent receiver, and you will need to back him up with a strong corps of rushers to help soften the blow should he succumb to injury once again. In addition to his punishing running style and excessive touches in recent seasons, Johnson turns 29 years old in November, which suggests he could be ready to slow down.

Yeah, I think Albert will really help out, Yeah he's a first year player, but often people forget that he played against Chris Long in practice, so I'm sure that'll help him out on the next tier of competition. We'll see...

I was just thinking last night about how incredible Willie Roaf was and how he was pretty much a one man team.

We'll see if Albert can help out w/ the lane a bit...

RJ
08-19-2008, 03:54 PM
In a ten team draft a couple of days ago Johnson was taken with the 15th pick. It's a three WR league which may have lowered his value a bit.

Douche Baggins
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Rec Yards TD's
03 - 1 2 0
04 22 278 2
05 33 343 1
06 41 410 2
07 30 186 1

I have seen Larry make one-handed catches quite a few times. He's not bad at all. He was on pace to catch 60 balls last year.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I have seen Larry make one-handed catches quite a few times. He's not bad at all. He was on pace to catch 60 balls last year.

I agree. I think hes a good pass catcher. In fact, i wish they would throw him the ball more and run him less.

Mecca
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
It's a solid assessment, I personally won't touch LJ because I don't see the Chiefs scoring alot of points but he should go in the 10-20 range. He's probably somewhere between 10-15 for RB's.

KCJohnny
08-19-2008, 05:59 PM
LJ's projected 2008 stats:

300 carries for 1450 yds
14 TDs
44 receptions for 385 yds, 3 TDs

This is in addition to an O that will get another 1000 yds from Kolby Smith, Jamal Charles and Dante Savage.

Bottom Line:
The 2008 Chiefs will cram it down your throat.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Rec Yards TD's
03 - 1 2 0
04 22 278 2
05 33 343 1
06 41 410 2
07 30 186 1
the only misconception is your reading comprehension

i said "he isn't particularly good" ... i didn't say he sucked.

Mecca
08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
LJ's projected 2008 stats:

300 carries for 1450 yds
14 TDs
44 receptions for 385 yds, 3 TDs

This is in addition to an O that will get another 1000 yds from Kolby Smith, Jamal Charles and Dante Savage.

Bottom Line:
The 2008 Chiefs will cram it down your throat.

17 TD's.....no wonder people think you're an extreme homer.

KCJohnny
08-19-2008, 06:09 PM
17 TD's.....no wonder people think you're an extreme homer.

I'm OK with that analysis. Because that makes you an extreme anti-homer limiting one of the NFL's premier TD-scoring RBs to less than 1 per game.

It might be helpful to you and those pessimists like you to go back and review who this Larry Johnson guy really is when he has a real O/C calling the plays.

KCJ
:arrow:

blueballs
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Fantasy football has endangered the "real fan"