PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 810 and 610 am radio shows want the Chiefs to trade for Boldin

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 06:13 AM
They say give up a 3rd rounder or maybe a 2nd rounder.

I'd be okay with a 3rd rounder. But nada chance for a 1st. If Brodie flops we are going to need the ability to draft a QB.

Boldin's 27, a top level NFL reciever who will still be able to bring it at age 30/31 when we are ready to compete in 2010/2011.

We have the cap room.

If he can't get along with Herm which coach can he get along with?

Zouk
08-20-2008, 06:15 AM
I think it's a great idea. Can't fetishize draft picks over good young established players.

Sfeihc
08-20-2008, 06:15 AM
no, no and no................totally goes against the program.

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
it'a only a 3rd rounder in my deal.

He's 27. That ain't exactly going against rebuiilding.

Stewie
08-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Boldin wants out of AZ? Bowe/Boldin would be a nice combo. Doubt if it would happen, though. I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for him. We have too many other holes to fill and need our draft picks.

Zouk
08-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Here's the only problem: he's under contract for 3 more years and the Cards won't trade him. I think this is a whole lot about nothing.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/08/18/20080818boldin0819.html

beach tribe

This is not going against the rebuild. Our team will not be made up of all guys in thier early, or mid 20s

the Talking Can
dude has bad knee, no?

RibKing67
08-20-2008, 06:19 AM
I say no way to giving up more than a 2nd and even at that I dont know I would be ok with it. If we can do it for a 3rd ok but his contract should be laced with incentives that wont kill us going into the next few years. I also wonder why with Darling and Franklin commin on like they are that we would even be looking at a WR lets go find a little more O-line help.

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Here's the only problem: he's under contract for 3 more years and the Cards won't trade him. I think this is a whole lot about nothing.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/08/18/20080818boldin0819.html
This is the NFL. The player threatnes to sit out be unhappy, cause chit in the locker room, talk trash to the media etc etc.

The team can kick you to the curb at a moments notice with nothing more than what ever is left of your SB. It's the only leverage a player has.

Honoring a contract in business and in real life is important but in the NFL contracts are not honored all the time. They are structured so they can be broken or nullified. Different world.

Sfeihc
08-20-2008, 06:26 AM
it'a only a 3rd rounder in my deal.

He's 27. That ain't exactly going against rebuiilding.

You're oblivious to the past and seem more than willing for the Chiefs to repeat their mistakes.

Why not give players like DVD, Franklin and this year's secret weapon, Maurice Price, a chance?

HypnotizedMonkey
08-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I have two reasons why this would suck...

1. It very well could interrupt my Bowe Show programming. You can't Tivo the Bowe Show.

2. Brodie will miss somebody who is open more often.

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 06:38 AM
You're oblivious to the past and seem more than willing for the Chiefs to repeat their mistakes.

Why not give players like DVD, Franklin and this year's secret weapon, Maurice Price, a chance?
So you are saying the Chiefs can't be trusted? They haven't changed their ways?

Sfeihc
08-20-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm saying you have NOT changed your ways. A quick fix is not what this team needs. This team isn't an Anquan Bolden away from a Super Bowl run.

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm saying you have NOT changed your ways. A quick fix is not what this team needs. This team isn't an Anquan Bolden away from a Super Bowl run.
This isn't a quick fix. Bowe can be gone by 2011. He may want a gazillion $'s and we don't want to pay. You only get 3-4 years of cap space the team controls from the present in the NFL cap era. After that players want more money, contracts have to be renegoiated etc.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
He would be an upgrade from what we have, Hog Farmer says sign him, whatever the cost, I want to win Dammit!

BigChiefFan
08-20-2008, 07:22 AM
The idea of a rebuild is to get BETTER, no? Boldin makes us better, but I seriously doubt we'll go after him.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Hes still young but doesnt he have an injury history??

I dont think id give up more than a 3rd for him.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 07:29 AM

A 27 yr old probowl WR is not quick fix. It's a guy that can contribute for the next few years. Which is when we we have to make a run.

We have to be getting seriously ready to compete in 09-10.

Miles
08-20-2008, 07:29 AM
He is a very talented and still young WR but it seems the complicated bit is he wants a new contract that pays like a top WR, which he is.

patteeu
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
If he were a free agent, I'd say go after him, but I don't think it's the right time for the Chiefs to be trading draft picks for established players yet.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
I would trade him for a 5th or 6th or Kolby Smith

dj56dt58
08-20-2008, 07:54 AM
This isn't a quick fix. Bowe can be gone by 2011. He may want a gazillion $'s and we don't want to pay. You only get 3-4 years of cap space the team controls from the present in the NFL cap era. After that players want more money, contracts have to be renegoiated etc.

You forget, we might actually have a competent gm by then..

dj56dt58
08-20-2008, 07:56 AM
A 27 yr old probowl WR is not quick fix. It's a guy that can contribute for the next few years. Which is when we we have to make a run.

We have to be getting seriously ready to compete in 09-10.

exactly, some people dont understand rebuiding and think its just drafting youg players and waiting 20 years for them to develop. Teams that rebuild successfully and win superbowls often do it within a couple years and add several top free agents along the way. Nobody wins with just guys they've drafted unless you draft one of the greatest players of all time

nychief
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
this is not going to happen, so just get over it. Think win now... think JETS.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
The idea of Boldin playing here boggles my mind.

That's every reason why he won't be playing for this team.
Too much like right.

patteeu
08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
exactly, some people dont understand rebuiding and think its just drafting youg players and waiting 20 years for them to develop. Teams that rebuild successfully and win superbowls often do it within a couple years and add several top free agents along the way. Nobody wins with just guys they've drafted unless you draft one of the greatest players of all time

Boldin isn't a top free agent.

El Jefe
08-20-2008, 08:33 AM

How is a 27 year old Pro Bowl reciever a quick fix? He is going to be good for probably at least 3-4 years. For a third round pick I would take him in a heartbeat, the guy is an amazing reciever, and arguably better than anyone we have on the roster. Yes I think Bowe is very good but he isn't Boldin good...yet...

BigRedChief
08-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Boldin isn't a top free agent.
A top FA would be a top ten player at his position.

Name me 10 better WR's in the the NFL better than Boldin.

blueballs
08-20-2008, 08:41 AM
He can just as easily refuse to play for the Chiefs
as he can the Cards
and gain respect for it

teedubya
08-20-2008, 09:03 AM
I loves me some Boldin.

Molitoth
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Some of you people and draft picks....

A good majority of the time draft picks are busts... you know what the Bust vs Star ratio is????

You would not trade a 3rd rounder (odds point to bust) for a Proven amazing WR with plenty of years left? Your crazy.

blueballs
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
He's been stuck in Arizona
if I'm him I'd look for a franchise
that has at least won more than one playoff game in the last 2 decades

Bwana
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
If we were one player away from taking a run at the big dance, I would say go for it, but, that is not the case. Toss out the facts the guy has a bum knee and would eat up a ton of cap room and I would have to take a pass.

Bwana
08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
On the other hand, if it looks like the seats at Arrowhead are going to be half empty, expect Carl to try to sign him to create a little excitement and save his ass.

The Bad Guy
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Boldin is a pure WR stud.

He's 27.

We have tons of cap room.

It's a nice fantasy, and he would be great for this team, but it will never happen.

HC_Chief
08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Boldin is a pure WR stud.

He's 27.

We have tons of cap room.

It's a nice fantasy, and he would be great for this team, but it will never happen.

Exactly.

Gonzo
08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I think he would be a decent addition on paper but it looks like he might be a little too high maintanence for this squad. It seems to me that everyone on the team (except LJ) are really quiet and conservative in their nature. I just dont think it would be a good move.

But hey, what the f**k do I know?

The Franchise
08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
We'd have to give up at least a 2nd round pick for it....plus he's going to want a new contract when the trade happens. Then throw in the fact that 2 or 3 years down the line Bowe is going to want a new contract and we'll have 2 WRs that are earning upwards of $80 million.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
its not gonna happen, the cardinals are gonna ask for at least a 1st rounder and maybe then some.

The Bad Guy
08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I think he would be a decent addition on paper but it looks like he might be a little too high maintanence for this squad. It seems to me that everyone on the team (except LJ) are really quiet and conservative in their nature. I just dont think it would be a good move.

But hey, what the f**k do I know?

This makes no sense. So we shouldn't sign someone because they are perceived to be too loud? Is Bowe really quiet?

Boldin has never been outspoken in his career.

King_Chief_Fan
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
They say give up a 3rd rounder or maybe a 2nd rounder.

I'd be okay with a 3rd rounder. But nada chance for a 1st. If Brodie flops we are going to need the ability to draft a QB.

Boldin's 27, a top level NFL reciever who will still be able to bring it at age 30/31 when we are ready to compete in 2010/2011.

We have the cap room.

If he can't get along with Herm which coach can he get along with?

We would be better off getting K. Warner:PPL:

chiefsngop
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I too don't believe it's never gonna happen. But if it could, I look at it this way.

Next year's draft comes and it's the 3rd round, if we could be guaranteed a pro bowl quality WR with that 3rd round pick , would you use it ? Of course, so why not trade it for the same thing ?

But I really think the cards will be after a 1st rounder for him, and we need that pick for other spots.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Yea but arizona gonna want more than a 3rd rounder for a 27 year old Pro bowl WR.

patteeu
08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
A top FA would be a top ten player at his position.

Name me 10 better WR's in the the NFL better than Boldin.

He's a top WR, IMO, but he's not a free agent.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Yea but arizona gonna want more than a 3rd rounder for a 27 year old Pro bowl WR.
How about a 2nd and lets sweeten the pot by throwing in Herm...

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 10:14 AM

I think they'll give him to us for a 3rd if we promise not to send Herm.

Mr. Arrowhead

they are gonna prolly want a 1st and a 3rd or 4th

Reerun_KC
I think they'll give him to us for a 3rd if we promise not to send Herm.
ROFL

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
they are gonna prolly want a 1st and a 3rd or 4th
It would be hard to get rid of our 1st next year, due to uneasy rest at QB play.

Even though nexts years QB class is extremely week, it would be a big gamble to go get a Top Flight WR and only to have Croyle bomb in our faces... but by geting Boldin, then teams would have to respect Croyle.....

Kind of a Catch 22.

Thigpen and Huard are complete jokes, never want to see them on the field EVER!

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:30 AM
That would be sweet to see what huard could do with bowe and boldin

Mr. Arrowhead
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
That would be sweet to see what huard could do with bowe and boldin

and they are still waiting for his pass to get there

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:36 AM
and they are still waiting for his pass to get there
And waiting and waiting and waiting...

I am sure Bowe and Boldin would be sick of running 3 yard swing routes only to have Huard under throw them...

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
I trust huard more to find his target's more than BC

Mr. Arrowhead
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
that makes alot of sense play the 35 year old with no ceiling over the 25 year qb with a cannon with a high ceiling.

CosmicPal
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM

NE got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder.

Reerun_KC
He might find them, but he cant get the ball there...

Huard has no ceiling and zero promise, what can he do for this team?

Demonpenz
that makes alot of sense play the 35 year old with no ceiling over the 25 year qb with a cannon with a high ceiling.

I know that is why I am on board like most of the chiefs fans with giving Croyle the preseason and a came or two to see what he has. If not then it's time to pull the BC plug out of the 19 volt sucky outlet

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I know that is why I am on board like most of the chiefs fans with giving Croyle the preseason and a came or two to see what he has. If not then it's time to pull the BC plug out of the 19 volt sucky outlet
Then what? Plug in the portable vaccuum and watch it suck all the life out of Chiefs Nation?

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Maybe win a couple games so they won't get blacked out

Hootie
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
It won't ever happen...

and by the way, Boldin is worth as much as Jared Allen, or at least close...if his knee is healthy he should warrant the Chiefs #1...and if the Chiefs traded a #1 for him, I wouldn't be upset...who are we going to draft that is better than Anquan Boldin? He's a PROVEN commodity, he's still in the prime of his career for quite some time...

Draft picks are UBER important...but sometimes people get a little too caught up in them...Anquan for a 2nd AND a 4th would be a steal...

Won't ever happen though...

(The Colts gave away Faulk for a 2nd and 5th and St. Louis won a Super Bowl because of it...)

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe win a couple games so they won't get blacked out
:eek:

Dude.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
It won't ever happen...

and by the way, Boldin is worth as much as Jared Allen, or at least close...if his knee is healthy he should warrant the Chiefs #1...and if the Chiefs traded a #1 for him, I wouldn't be upset...who are we going to draft that is better than Anquan Boldin? He's a PROVEN commodity, he's still in the prime of his career for quite some time...

Draft picks are UBER important...but sometimes people get a little too caught up in them...Anquan for a 2nd AND a 4th would be a steal...

(The Colts gave away Faulk for a 2nd and 5th and St. Louis won a Super Bowl because of it...)

Agree, Boldin would be a huge addition to this team for the next 6-7 years. It would be nuts not to at least attempt a trade..

So what we give a first? That means we cant get a QB next year in the draft. So we play one more year with Croyle and if he sucks, then Herm and Croyle are gone along with Carl.. Then a real HC and a new GM could come in and make this team by getting a QB.

Seems a win win to me.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 10:59 AM
The Chiefs won't make a play for Boldin, but they absolutely should.
What better way to help Brodie Croyle than to give him a stud WR?

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
The Chiefs won't make a play for Boldin, but they absolutely should.
What better way to help Brodie Croyle than to give him 2 studs at WR?
FYP

Hootie
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Agree, Boldin would be a huge addition to this team for the next 6-7 years. It would be nuts not to at least attempt a trade..

So what we give a first? That means we cant get a QB next year in the draft. So we play one more year with Croyle and if he sucks, then Herm and Croyle are gone along with Carl.. Then a real HC and a new GM could come in and make this team by getting a QB.

Seems a win win to me.

Meh. I don't think the draft is the only way to get a QB...

Sure, I'd love to have that QB of the future that only comes from the draft, but it's more of a toss-up these days to what you're going to get real high in the draft...you might land a Carson Palmer...but you'll probably end up with an Alex Smith, Tim Couch...or maybe you'll get lucky and get a decent QB like Philip Rivers...

Or you could just take the Bill Parcells approach and sign a Jeff Garcia, an established veteran QB, who can manage games and get you to a Super Bowl if the pieces are there...

If Croyle doesn't work out, I fear for this franchise...because drafting a top 10 QB that doesn't work out means this franchise will be set back another 5 years...

So needless to say, I'm rolling the dice on Croyle and PRAYING he turns out to be at least as good as Philip Rivers.

Sure-Oz
08-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Makes too much sense to trade for him, thats why it will never happen....the obvious is never obvious to Captain Carl

el borracho
08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Depends on the price, really. We will be picking at the top of each round next year so I would not even consider a 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Of course, I'm a miser when it comes to draft picks. I would never have traded a 1st for Green and lament even what most consider decent trades like the 2nd for Surtain.

In any case, I very much doubt that this happens. We are all very happy with Bowe and the braintrust (ha!) is probably content to look elsewhere for a WR.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Personally, I think this is made up nonsense by local talk radio shows trying to get ratings. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on any football site. Typical KK bullshit.

That being said, I absolutely think this would be a mistake for the Chiefs. Boldin is a #2 in Arizona and he'd likely be a #2 in KC. The Chiefs appear to have the makings of an outstanding receiving corp, the likes of which we've never had in KC. Bowe, Franklin and Price could anchor this team for the next 5 years and if the scouting continues to be as good, there's no reason that more talented players will be added next year.

Furthermore, this is team that is in desperate need of its draft picks. There's been no final decision at QB (a QB who remains an injury question week in and week out), OLB, MLB, DE, RT, RG, backup QB are pretty much an absolute must in either the draft or free agency. This team needs depth at every position so that the special teams drastically improve and so there's little dropoff when injuries occur (i.e. Albert-Taylor).

If this were 2009 and 85% of the team was set for the next 5 years, I'd feel differently. But there are just way too many holes that need to be addressed before the Chiefs can callously trade away very important draft choices while in a rebuilding mode.

DeezNutz
08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
No to Boldin, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a first or second to get Whisenhunt. Maybe even both a first and a second...

Hootie
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
NE got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder.

different situations...there is really no character concerns with Boldin, he's younger, and he's a phenomenal blocker...

CosmicPal
08-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Personally, I think this is made up nonsense by local talk radio shows trying to get ratings. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on any football site. Typical KK bullshit.

That being said, I absolutely think this would be a mistake for the Chiefs. Boldin is a #2 in Arizona and he'd likely be a #2 in KC. The Chiefs appear to have the makings of an outstanding receiving corp, the likes of which we've never had in KC. Bowe, Franklin and Price could anchor this team for the next 5 years and if the scouting continues to be as good, there's no reason that more talented players will be added next year.

Furthermore, this is team that is in desperate need of its draft picks. There's been no final decision at QB (a QB who remains an injury question week in and week out), OLB, MLB, DE, RT, RG, backup QB are pretty much an absolute must in either the draft or free agency. This team needs depth at every position so that the special teams drastically improve and so there's little dropoff when injuries occur (i.e. Albert-Taylor).

If this were 2009 and 85% of the team was set for the next 5 years, I'd feel differently. But there are just way too many holes that need to be addressed before the Chiefs can callously trade away very important draft choices while in a rebuilding mode.

:clap: I couldn't agree more.

Hootie
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Depends on the price, really. We will be picking at the top of each round next year so I would not even consider a 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Of course, I'm a miser when it comes to draft picks. I would never have traded a 1st for Green and lament even what most consider decent trades like the 2nd for Surtain.

In any case, I very much doubt that this happens. We are all very happy with Bowe and the braintrust (ha!) is probably content to look elsewhere for a WR.

The 1st for Green ended up in very good QB production and 81 straight starts...I think we got our money's worth on that one...I think the Rams got Damion Lewis with that pick or something anyways...yeah, I know, Damion who?

suds79
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I think a 2nd rounder is fair. (certainly the lower the better though) A 1st would be too much considering we'll be drafting top 10 again.

But he's a stud WR and it'd be a huge get to nab him.

Hootie
08-20-2008, 11:22 AM

He's a #2 WR because the Cardinals happen to have Larry Fitzgerald...

Boldin, for a 2nd round pick, would be a total steal...

Unless you'd rather have Turk McBride or Bernard Pollard...

suds79
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
The Chiefs appear to have the makings of an outstanding receiving corp, the likes of which we've never had in KC.

Wow dude are you serious?

Talk about seeing the WR corp through rose tinted glasses.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I think a 2nd rounder is fair. (certainly the lower the better though) A 1st would be too much considering we'll be drafting top 10 again.

But he's a stud WR and it'd be a huge get to nab him.

Agreed it would be hard to give up a top 10 pick for him.. now a top 10 second rounder and a 4th would be okay with me...

but I want that Top 5 pick we are going to get next year!

FAX
I say, do it. It's all about weapons.

FAX

Hootie
Boldin is one of the NFL's top receivers. He reached 400 career receptions faster than any other player, doing it in 67 games. In five seasons, Boldin has 413 receptions for 5,458 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Who WOULDN'T give a 2nd round pick for that?

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Wow dude are you serious?

Talk about seeing the WR corp through rose tinted glasses.

I guess Bowe is going to line up and play all 4 positions at the same time...

Other than that Boldin makes the others look like complete garbage... Boldin easily gives us 2-3 more wins this coming season....

They would really have to respect our passing game with Croyle...

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Boldin is one of the NFL's top receivers. He reached 400 career receptions faster than any other player, doing it in 67 games. In five seasons, Boldin has 413 receptions for 5,458 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Herm and Carl......

el borracho
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
The 1st for Green ended up in very good QB production and 81 straight starts...I think we got our money's worth on that one...I think the Rams got Damion Lewis with that pick or something anyways...yeah, I know, Damion who?

Green was to become a free-agent the very next year. We could have picked up Collins in free-agency that year, drafted Duece McAllister and gotten Green for free the next year. Apparently, Dick convinced Carl that we couldn't wait a year because we needed Green to start teaching C. Thomas and Snoop Minnis the offense. Yeah, that was important :rolleyes:. Bad trade, IMO.

DeezNutz
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Green was to become a free-agent the very next year. We could have picked up Collins in free-agency that year, drafted Duece McAllister and gotten Green for free the next year. Apparently, Dick convinced Carl that we couldn't wait a year because we needed Green to start teaching C. Thomas and Snoop Minnis the offense. Yeah, that was important :rolleyes:. Bad trade, IMO.

Didn't we give up a 2nd for Grandpa in that same year? Beautiful.

Love trading picks for coaches...

kcxiv
08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
He's a stud no doubt. If they can pull something like this off, i will give them major kudos. He's young he still have imo 5-6 years of greatness in him. Combine that with Bowe and Tony G. We could make a serious run in the play offs by 2009.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Bad trade or not, The record books in KC say other wise...

True no playoff wins or superbowls, but granted those were the best years of KC football during Carls era... except the year of Montana Magic...

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Didn't we give up a 2nd for Grandpa in that same year? Beautiful.

Love trading picks for coaches...
Then gave up a 4th for a coach that was going to be fired. Brilliant!

DeezNutz
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Coaches always trump talented players. I'd advocate drafting the former every year.

ChiefsCountry
08-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Bowe, Boldin, Gonzo, and LJ would be a potent offense. Franklin in the slot. Really no excuses for Brodie then in all honesty.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Bowe, Boldin, Gonzo, and LJ would be a potent offense. Franklin in the slot. Really no excuses for Brodie then in all honesty.
Brodie? Why is it about Brodie?

There would be zero excuses for Herm not to have an offense in the top half of the league with that talent....

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
BC

RustShack
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
How does Boldin go against rebuilding? Hes not even 30 yet... He would be able to play for us at this level for at least 5 more years if not longer... I don't have any problems with that. Most players we draft wont be with us that long anyways.

blueballs
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
someone's got to block
while he gets open

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
How does Boldin go against rebuilding? Hes not even 30 yet... He would be able to play for us at this level for at least 5 more years if not longer... I don't have any problems with that. Most players we draft wont be with us that long anyways.

I agree it doesn't go against it. See if we can't unload a 7th rounder. Or trade one of our players straight up. Like Mcintosh

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree it doesn't go against it. See if we can't unload a 7th rounder. Or trade one of our players straight up. Like Mcintosh
Hell why not thow DownField BigFetal into the mix...

alanm
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
New England got Moss for a 4th.
No Deal.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Moss is a fricking hall of famer

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Hell why not thow DownField BigFetal into the mix...

maybe. Depends on if they give us a draft pic. Huard and maybe a 5th for boldin

alanm
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
It won't ever happen...

Is Boldin better than Randy Moss? No
Moss went for a 4th.
No Deal.

ChiefsCountry
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
New England got Moss for a 4th.
No Deal.

Moss is also a major pain in the ass for his talent.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:31 PM
maybe. Depends on if they give us a draft pic. Huard and maybe a 5th for boldin
Why would we need a draft pick for getting rid of trash?

Hell I would give them Huard, Herm and a 1st for Boldin...

Gailey could take over as HC.

alanm
08-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Meh. I don't think the draft is the only way to get a QB...

Sure, I'd love to have that QB of the future that only comes from the draft, but it's more of a toss-up these days to what you're going to get real high in the draft...you might land a Carson Palmer...but you'll probably end up with an Alex Smith, Tim Couch...or maybe you'll get lucky and get a decent QB like Philip Rivers...

Or you could just take the Bill Parcells approach and sign a Jeff Garcia, an established veteran QB, who can manage games and get you to a Super Bowl if the pieces are there...

If Croyle doesn't work out, I fear for this franchise...because drafting a top 10 QB that doesn't work out means this franchise will be set back another 5 years...

So needless to say, I'm rolling the dice on Croyle and PRAYING he turns out to be at least as good as Philip Rivers.
We've done that forever. Hasn't worked
You need to draft your franchise QB.

Sure-Oz
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Is Boldin better than Randy Moss? No
Moss went for a 4th.
No Deal.

Moss was considered a washed up player too in oakland and a quitter

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
True and the only way moss was going to succeed was to go to a powerhouse like NE with a proven high quality coaching staff....

Boldin would make this offense Top 15....

alanm
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
He hasn't been in NE. He's been a model citizen.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
He hasn't been in NE. He's been a model citizen.
True see post #103

alanm
True and the only way moss was going to succeed was to go to a powerhouse like NE with a proven high quality coaching staff....

Boldin won't block for the running game. He'd be instantly at odds with Herm.

DaneMcCloud

I think this offense is Top 15 without Boldin

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:36 PM
I think this offense is Top 15 without Boldin
could be thanks to Gailey,

but Boldin would ensure that....

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Boldin won't block for the running game. He'd be instantly at odds with Herm.

I have read he is a solid blocker...

alanm
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I have read he is a solid blocker...
I could be wrong then. But the fact remains that if Moss only cost a 4th then Boldin certainly shouldn't cost more. :shake:

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I could be wrong then. But the fact remains that if Moss only cost a 4th then Boldin certainly shouldn't cost more. :shake:
You have to remember character and attitude is what really hurt Moss... Along with the love of the hippie lettuce... Boldin hasnt had any issues that Moss has had. Have heard of Boldin running over anyone lately either.

True you would think, but Boldin hasnt had any off field instances such as Moss, That is going to cost you 2 rounds at least...

So a very high 2nd and 4th would be a good deal.

blueballs
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
there should be a moss for a fourth thread around
I would bet the feeling was not only no thanks but
no ****ing way

Frosty
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
NE got Moss for a 4th because he had "issues". That, and Oakland is stupid.

I think the model is more along the lines of Seattle giving up a 1st for Deion Branch the year before (which was also stupid, IMO). I think Boldin is going to take a really high pick or a package of them.

RustShack
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM

What did the Raiders give up for Moss when he was closer to Boldins age? Then they were almost willing to give him away just like most teams are willing to give trouble players away cheap.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM

People who believe rebuilding means turning your nose up at young players who are uber-productive on the field...in favor of a homegrown player who is a total unknown commodity.

It's ridiculous. A 2nd Round pick for Boldin is a no-brainer.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I think Boldin is going to take a really high pick or a package of them.

Okay a 2nd, Herm and DownField BigFetal?

How could a team resist such football savy guys?

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
People who believe rebuilding means turning your nose up at young players who are uber-productive on the field...in favor of a homegrown player who is a total unknown commodity.

It's ridiculous. A 2nd Round pick for Boldin is a no-brainer.
:clap:

QFT

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
A 2nd Round pick for Boldin is a no-brainer.

If this team were absolutely set at QB, RG, RT, MLB and OLB, I'd tend to agree.

But there's a very good chance that the Chiefs will be picking in the Top 5 this season (and most certainly, Top 10). This team has far too many holes at this point to trade a second round pick for a receiver.

Especially since it has yet to be proven that the QB make it through the season.

Damon Huard to Anquan Boldin doesn't have a nice ring to it.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
If this team were absolutely set at QB, RG, RT, MLB and OLB, I'd tend to agree.

But there's a very good chance that the Chiefs will be picking in the Top 5 this season (and most certainly, Top 10). This team has far too many holes at this point to trade a second round pick for a receiver.

Especially since it has yet to be proven that the QB make it through the season.

Damon Huard to Anquan Boldin doesn't have a nice ring to it.

So the less tools we give Croyle the better? So he has to prove himself with less before we add better talent around him?

Just wondering the though process here..

To me it seems like a no brainer, you add another young stud WR to help your young stud gunslinger....

BTW, Damon Huard to anybody makes me :Lin:

HolyHandgernade
08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
This is just made up hypotheitcals to generate preseason talk and long internet threads (which I read completely through, by the way, so nice job).

The Cardinals are not interested in trading Boldin. Rumor is they have already turned down 1st round draft pick offers. The reason is, he still has three years left on his contract, and since ownership doesn't want to send signals it will accomodate any player that says he's unhappy after he's already signed a long term contract. Boldin has already commented publicly he will not hold out, he will play out this season, but that he is cutting off all communication outside of game planning with management and coaching staff.

In other words, Boldin knows the team holds all the cards (no pun intended), so he hopes to turn in a year where he produces at a high level so the team feels compelled to restructure next year, or he'll hold out. If he holds out now, he has no options and no means to increase his potential contract with either the Cards or another team.

That said, I would give up a third in a heartbeat, possibly with even a conditional second based on performance. Moss' situation was different, he was underperforming and most teams thought he didn't really care to be good anymore. Boldin is under a long term contract, and the Cards aren't going to submit to his demands unless they are well compensated, that is, it looks more like they got an offer they couldn't refuse rather than that they submitted to a disgruntled player. Salary cap is not an issue for us.

-HH

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
maybe we could trade a 3rd rounder

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Bolden is better than any player we've picked in the 2nd rnd in 10 fricken yrs.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 01:28 PM
So the less tools we give Croyle the better? So he has to prove himself with less before we add better talent around him?

Just wondering the though process here..

To me it seems like a no brainer, you add another young stud WR to help your young stud gunslinger....

BTW, Damon Huard to anybody makes me :Lin:

No, the "thought process" is that giving up the #32-35 pick for a receiver with injury history and somewhat of a malcontent isn't the right decision for a rebuilding team.

1997? Absolutely. 2003? We'd STILL be bitching about it to this day if there was an opportunity like that was passed up.

But in 2008? No way. Not when there's a strong possibility that a 1st round grade QB or LB could be sitting there with that pick.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Bolden is better than any player we've picked in the 2nd rnd in 10 fricken yrs.

Maybe.

Brendan Flowers looks to be a perennial Pro Bowler. Turk McBride is showing signs of rapid improvement in only his second season.

If you go back to the Marty/Gun/Vermeil years, I'd absolutely agree.

But drafting appears to be different under Herm.

Again, *appears*.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
No, the "thought process" is that giving up the #32-35 pick for a receiver with injury history and somewhat of a malcontent isn't the right decision for a rebuilding team.

1997? Absolutely. 2003? We'd STILL be bitching about it to this day if there was an opportunity like that was passed up.

But in 2008? No way. Not when there's a strong possibility that a 1st round grade QB or LB could be sitting there with that pick.
The 2009 QB draft class is one of the weakest in years.. Fitting we would spend a 1st round pick on a QB...

Just saying he would open up the field for Croyle and LJ.. Would be a big signing.. AND IF HERM is worth a shit, he should be able to handle alittle malcontent like Boldin.. Herm is supposely known for being a players coach...

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
The 2009 QB draft class is one of the weakest in years.. Fitting we would spend a 1st round pick on a QB...

Just saying he would open up the field for Croyle and LJ.. Would be a big signing.. AND IF HERM is worth a shit, he should be able to handle alittle malcontent like Boldin.. Herm is supposely known for being a players coach...

I didn't say a we'd spend a first rounder on QB in 2009. I stated that with so many holes, a first round talented QB could be there at that position, much like Drew Brees and quite possibly, Brian Brohm.

IF the Chiefs were solidified at the RT and RG spots, I'd agree with your assessment. But it's unclear whether or not Jones & McIntosh/Richardson will be able to hold their blocks long enough for Croyle to even throw a pass.

This is a trade that is more likely to benefit the Cowboys and/or Jets.

Not the Chiefs.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
I didn't say a we'd spend a first rounder on QB in 2009. I stated that with so many holes, a first round talented QB could be there at that position, much like Drew Brees and quite possibly, Brian Brohm.

IF the Chiefs were solidified at the RT and RG spots, I'd agree with your assessment. But it's unclear whether or not Jones & McIntosh/Richardson will be able to hold their blocks long enough for Croyle to even throw a pass.

This is a trade that is more likely to benefit the Cowboys and/or Jets.

Not the Chiefs.

Fair enough.. good discussion!

blueballs
08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
2009 draft class has potential to be the best for the next two years
there is already talk of juniors leaving for the NFL before a rookie signing structure is set

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Pollard was a 2second round pic. bonecrusher!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd do it, but it's not worth even discussing because the Chiefs themselves have to have an interest, and they don't.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 02:17 PM
We would have 3 guys who are athletic enough to catch jump balls.

CoMoChief
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Even though our WR's are crap outside Bowe and maybe soon Franklin, Giving a shit ton of money to Boldin is a dumb idea for what this team is trying to do.

Personally I'd rather draft Crabtree next year.

There are too many holes on this team to call it even somewhat a contender for our division that can't all be filled via draft.

Say no to Boldin and Obama.

QuikSsurfer
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
We would have 3 guys who are athletic enough to catch jump balls.

ROFL

Shaid
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
No, we have some young WR's with potential and we need the draft picks. He's a good player but I like the concept of home-grown Chiefs with a few fill-ins in FA. Don't give up draft picks unless you're really getting a steal.

Buehler445
08-20-2008, 04:39 PM
No, we have some young WR's with potential and we need the draft picks. He's a good player but I like the concept of home-grown Chiefs with a few fill-ins in FA. Don't give up draft picks unless you're really getting a steal.

Great discussion in this thread!!!

I don't know enough about him to make an informed decision. If he is injury prone, I say no. A lot also depends on how our new guys REALLY look.

Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
First off, there is no way, no way that Zona would do a 3rd rounder or a 2nd rounder for Boldin.

If those guys on 610 and 810 think the Chiefs could pull that off, then they should just go smoke the pipe cause that ain't happening.

If we got a 1st and 2 3rd's for JA, one of the top DE's in the game...What makes them think we coulld give only a 2nd or a 3rd for Boldin? One of the top receivers in the game!

You know what it is going to take to get Boldin? Definately a 1st...And a few other draft picks possibly a 2nd, and a 3rd.

I'd don't think the Chiefs are going to get him. I do like him, and would love to have him. He would be a huge help to the offense, and he isn't old either so he wouldn't defeat the purpose of re-building. But I must admit I do like Will Franklin. Lets give him a shot. By no means is he an Anquan Boldin. But he can develop into a solid receiver? I Like what I see from him in the pre-season thus far.

Point is, as a rebuilding team, you don't want to go into next years draft without a 1st, a 2nd or a 3rd. You guys know that. That the reason this deal ain't happening.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Even though our WR's are crap outside Bowe and maybe soon Franklin, Giving a shit ton of money to Boldin is a dumb idea for what this team is trying to do.

Personally I'd rather draft Crabtree next year.

There are too many holes on this team to call it even somewhat a contender for our division that can't all be filled via draft.

Say no to Boldin and Obama.

If you draft Crabtree as high as the Chiefs will be picking guess what, he'll make more money than they'd have to pay Boldin.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Some of you guys are getting way to caught up in "rebuilding" you don't turn your nose up at a premier player.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM

I actually disagree with that as of now, I expect 4 QB's with 1st round grades there are some guys I wasn't overly expecting that will likely come on.

RedThat
08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Some of you guys are getting way to caught up in "rebuilding" you don't turn your nose up at a premier player.

you know the Chiefs are gonna suck. even if they got Boldin.

what if they dont have the QB, and need that 1strder to draft one?

what if they need a MLBer or a passrusher next year. And you lose your picks in the top rounds?

I love Boldin. but when it comes to this KC team, and you look at the holes, they need all the draft picks possible. Thinking team is a lot better then just one "premium" player.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
I could list off 15 things the Chiefs need, they are not going to get them in 1 draft or even 1 offseason.

But I don't think you should be turning your nose up at a premier player either.

L.A. Chieffan
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
We need receivers too last time I checked.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
No one player will turn the team around, but that's hardly a reason to pass on a significant improvement if you find one.

I'm just guessing here, but... Boldin will probably play a few more years.
So why not now? That will help your QB's growth.

It's silly to think improvement can only come in the form of multiple picks or multiple Free Agent signings all at once.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I could list off 15 things the Chiefs need, they are not going to get them in 1 draft or even 1 offseason.

But I don't think you should be turning your nose up at a premier player either.

15?

Come on, Dude.

RT, RG, OLB, MLB, DE and a backup QB (if not a QBOTF) in addition to depth everywhere but running back.

One more solid draft and this team is in a great position to make a run.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:20 PM
15?

Come on, Dude.

RT, RG, OLB, MLB, DE and a backup QB (if not a QBOTF) in addition to depth everywhere but running back.

One more solid draft and this team is in a great position to make a run.

Add in WR.

And I think the Chiefs would be foolish to think they address all of those needs through the Draft. They had better add in a couple key FA's.

teedubya
08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Boldin was my wet dream during the last thread we had about about Anquan Boldin.

It aint happening, folks. Lest ye forget, we have Carl ****ing Peterson. Shit just doesn't get done.

FAX
08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
No one player will turn the team around, but that's hardly a reason to pass on a significant improvement if you find one.

I'm just guessing here, but... Boldin will probably play a few more years.
So why not now? That will help your QB's growth.

It's silly to think improvement can only come in the form of multiple picks or multiple Free Agent signings all at once.

I couldn't agree more, Mr. Micjones. Well, maybe I could had you called Herm a bong-addicted uncle f*cker.

Weapons, baby. Weapons. I'm for all the Croyle targets we can round up.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Add in WR.

And I think the Chiefs would be foolish to think they address all of those needs through the Draft. They had better add in a couple key FA's.

If the Chiefs are picking top ten next year (and certainly top five), they'll be able to draft at least four players that will have an impact in 2009.

If they choose wisely, there's no reason why the 2009 Chiefs won't compete for a playoff spot.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I couldn't agree more, Mr. Micjones. Well, maybe I could had you called Herm a bong-addicted uncle f*cker.

Weapons, baby. Weapons. I'm for all the Croyle targets we can round up.

FAX

Except the fact that Croyle may be on his back due to the right side of the offensive line and if he's injured, there goes your top five (if not top three) draft choice.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Well I wouldn't trade a 1st cause of how high we'll pick but a 2nd I would, you won't get a WR in the 2nd round of Boldins caliber.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Well I wouldn't trade a 1st cause of how high we'll pick but a 2nd I would, you won't get a WR in the 2nd round of Boldins caliber.

Why not?

That's where Boldin was drafted.

Round two, pick 54.

Adept Havelock
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM

ROFL

Boldin was picked # 54 overall, late in the second round.

Why not?

That's where Boldin was drafted.

Round two, pick 54.

Heh. Great minds think alike.

ChiliConCarnage
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
To me, it's a non-point. Boldin wants out of AZ because he wants a ton of money. If the Chiefs wanted to sign a guy in his prime for a lot of money they should have just kept JA.

We're going to be a conservative offense so I don't see how having Gonzo, Bowe and Boldin helps a rebuilding team. The JA trade was to try and pick up as many good prospect players as possible over the next 1-2 years. Let things shake out and THEN use your cap money to fill the positions that didn't work out.

Granted Tony is going to retire at some point, but I'm not sure how it makes sense signing Boldin now. He'd just take opportunity away from Darling, Franklin, Cottam and we need to find out which of those guys can be real players.

FAX
08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Except the fact that Croyle may be on his back due to the right side of the offensive line and if he's injured, there goes your top five (if not top three) draft choice.

My greatest concern this season, Mr. DaneMcCloud. I think it best that we don't articulate this fear, however. Bad juju. As you know, sometimes just voicing a concern opens the door for evil spirits that glom onto your brainstem and alter reality into a form that causes severe headache and persistent rash of the nutbag.

FAX

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
If the Chiefs are picking top ten next year (and certainly top five), they'll be able to draft at least four players that will have an impact in 2009.

Maybe. The Draft is never that certain.
And this organization certainly doesn't have a track record of having that kind of success through it.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
ROFL

That's nice that you guys think that but the odds of it are slim and none, Boldin is an exception not the rule. I guess no one should ever draft QB's until the 6th round either.

I'm not going to think about this to much anyway because after this year the Cowboys will probably get Boldin or Roy Williams.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
ROFL

So because Boldin was taken there any Wide Receiver taken in the Second Round will have similar NFL productivity? Come on...

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
So because Boldin was taken there any Wide Receiver taken in the Second Round will have similar NFL productivity? Come on...

Don't try to use logic, it won't work.

Coach
08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Pass. Why trade him if we got Franklin and possibly Price?

Makes no sense.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Makes no sense.

I hope this is sarcasm, I really do.

L.A. Chieffan
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
It wont happen anyways. It's not Carl's style and it's definitely not Herm's style.

Much ado about nothing

Fairplay
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I am so back and forth with the arguments either way that i am officially confused.

I have no idea what to think about the Boldin issue. Good arguments back and forth. Making me dizzy. Gotta sit down.

My take: we won't pick him up anyway.

Sure-Oz
08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Boldin>Price+Franklin combined...

How many 2nd-7th round WR's have panned out for us to be as accomplished as Anquan Boldin?

Fairplay
It wont happen anyways. It's not Carl's style and it's definitely not Herm's style.

That is exactly what i am thinking.

Copycat?

Coach
I hope this is sarcasm, I really do.

No. I'm serious. Why tie up more money on a receiver, when a receiver can't get the ball becuase of the following:

1. Bad QB play (Croyle, Thigpen, or Huard)
2. Bad O-Line play

No different say tying up a shitload of $ on CB's (See Law and Surtain for example) where they couldn't cover very well, becuase of their age, but also the lack of a consistent pass-rush.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I guess no one should ever draft QB's until the 6th round either.

Based on the statistics, yes.

First round and 6th round QB's have won 28 of 42 Super Bowls (nearly 64%):

1st rounder: 24 Super Bowl wins
2nd rounders: 2 wins
3rd rounder: 5 wins (Montana accounts for 4 of those wins)
4th rounder: 1
5th rounder: none
6th rounder: 4
7th rounder: none

UDFA or beyond the 7th round: 6

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
The Offensive Line will be improved. And Chan Gailey's offensive philosophy moves the QB around and out of the pocket to maximize pass protection.

You can't gloss over a significant improvement at WR because we don't have an all-world Offensive Line.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Based on the statistics, yes.

First round and 6th round QB's have won 28 of 42 Super Bowls (nearly 64%):

1st rounder: 24 Super Bowl wins
2nd rounders: 2 wins
3rd rounder: 5 wins (Montana accounts for 4 of those wins)
4th rounder: 1
5th rounder: none
6th rounder: 4
7th rounder: none

UDFA or beyond the 7th round: 6

Haha...
Those numbers speak in favor of drafting a QB in the late rounds?
Mmmkay...

Fairplay
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Getting Boldin mean we should put more offensive plays in.

Herm wants the playbook dumbed down, and i mean really dumbed down.

End of argument.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
You can't gloss over a significant improvement at WR because we don't have an all-world Offensive Line.

The Chiefs don't need an all-world offensive line to succeed. They just need competent, athletic players.

Niswanger, Waters, Taylor & Albert fit that mold.

The problem is the right side of the line, which needs to be address in the 2009 off-season. The improvement of Barry Richardson (much like Herb Taylor's) would go a long way to speed that process along.

Micjones
08-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Getting Boldin mean we should put more offensive plays in.

Herm wants the playbook dumbed down, and i mean really dumbed down.

End of argument.

Simplified hardly means they won't throw the ball.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Haha...
Those numbers speak in favor of drafting a QB in the late rounds?
Mmmkay...

If 10 Super Bowls were won by a combination of undrafted free agents and 6th round draft choices, yet 8 Super Bowls were won by 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round QB's combined, doesn't that tell you something?

Furthermore, I don't think there's a person alive who in hindsight, wouldn't have taken Joe Montana #1 overall in the 1979 draft. If you take away his Super Bowl wins, you're left with only 6 wins by players drafted in any round other than the 1st and 6th round.

Statistics DO tell a story.

Mecca
No. I'm serious. Why tie up more money on a receiver, when a receiver can't get the ball becuase of the following:

1. Bad QB play (Croyle, Thigpen, or Huard)
2. Bad O-Line play

No different say tying up a shitload of $ on CB's (See Law and Surtain for example) where they couldn't cover very well, becuase of their age, but also the lack of a consistent pass-rush.

You do realize what having WR's the other team is afraid of will do right? No one will show you 8 in the box if they fear your receivers.

People are still caught up in the old school than the new school. Passing to set up the run is the new school, opening run lanes because the defense is worried about your WR's.....Indy and NE exploit this stuff constantly.

Mecca
If 10 Super Bowls were won by a combination of undrafted free agents and 6th round draft choices, yet 8 Super Bowls were won by 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round QB's combined, doesn't that tell you something?

Furthermore, I don't think there's a person alive who in hindsight, wouldn't have taken Joe Montana #1 overall in the 1979 draft. If you take away his Super Bowl wins, you're left with only 6 wins by players drafted in any round other than the 1st and 6th round.

Statistics DO tell a story.

Yea and if Anquan Boldin was in the draft today he'd be a top 5 pick.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Yea and if Anquan Boldin was in the draft today he'd be a top 5 pick.

Much like Dwayne Bowe. Or Terrell Owens. Or Randy Moss.

But that doesn't mean that you won't find those guys later in the draft.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
You do realize what having WR's the other team is afraid of will do right? No one will show you 8 in the box if they fear your receivers.

People are still caught up in the old school than the new school. Passing to set up the run is the new school, opening run lanes because the defense is worried about your WR's.....Indy and NE exploit this stuff constantly.
Now hold on there professor...

Now we dont need to try and explain all this arena stuff to the Chiefs fan base, all we are going to do is get them flustrated!

Mecca
08-20-2008, 06:01 PM
The odds of it aren't good, finding top flight WR's is becoming more difficult, especially when you see how many highly drafted ones don't work out.

Receiver is not an easy position to fill anymore.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Thats why if we could in theory pick up boldin for a 2nd and 4th... It would help Croyle and the offense tremendously...

Sure-Oz
08-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I would do it for a 2nd and 4th/5th easy....

i don't even know why we are arguing, we aren't interested. Hell we aren't even interested in Jay Feely at K unless the other 2 guys suck this weekend

Coach
08-20-2008, 06:06 PM

They will stick us 8 in the box one way or another until our QB can actually beat them downfield. That was a problem last year, even though I thought the WR situation wasn't terrible last year. The QB in Damon Huard was the problem, plus combine it with the piss-poor blocking by the O-line.

Passing is set up the run is the new school. I'm fully aware of that. However, like the old school, the lineman must be able to get locked on his man, and drive his man out of the running lane to create the running game. That means that the lineman must engage his man and stay on him without getting flagged for holding, or getting blasted by a strong bull-rush or get embarrased by a speed-rushing end.

And why is Indy and NE so good then? It's becuase they have a very good O-line to perform both old-school and new-school. Of course, they both have very compent coaches, which we do not have here.

Coach
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The odds of it aren't good, finding top flight WR's is becoming more difficult, especially when you see how many highly drafted ones don't work out.

Receiver is not an easy position to fill anymore.

D. Bowe says hi.

Fairplay
08-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Good point. Oh i'm so back and forth with the argument.

Woe is me.

Fairplay
08-20-2008, 06:12 PM
And why is Indy and NE so good then? It's becuase they have a very good O-line to perform both old-school and new-school. Of course, they both have very compent coaches, which we do not have here.

Good point. I wish our team would win a friggin superbowl dammit!!

The end.

Fairplay
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I knew when the Patriots picked up Randy Moss, that it was so much the steal.

Why can't the chiefs do cool stuff like that?

08-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Hell, all I heard on 810 today was KK dogging on Croyle all day. :rolleyes: Jack Harry was defending him.:eek:

QuikSsurfer
08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Hell, all I heard on 810 today was KK dogging on Croyle all day. :rolleyes: Jack Harry was defending him.:eek:

I also heard this.
Jack Harry comparing Croyle to Elway and Favre was ridiculous.

KCTitus
08-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Heh...'people' are still caught up in the old school. Ummm...there's really only one person on the club that it really matters to and he's from the school that believes when you pass the ball 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

Trading for Boldin would be cool and all, but remember, WR's back in Marty's day were used to block for the 'downhill' running game...that's it. I see no change the Herm style to believe that the addition of another WR is going to 'open' up this offense.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-20-2008, 07:58 PM
They will stick us 8 in the box one way or another until our QB can actually beat them downfield. That was a problem last year, even though I thought the WR situation wasn't terrible last year. The QB in Damon Huard was the problem, plus combine it with the piss-poor blocking by the O-line.

Passing is set up the run is the new school. I'm fully aware of that. However, like the old school, the lineman must be able to get locked on his man, and drive his man out of the running lane to create the running game. That means that the lineman must engage his man and stay on him without getting flagged for holding, or getting blasted by a strong bull-rush or get embarrased by a speed-rushing end.

...and the 2 best QB's in the league. That probably has something to do with it.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
To those trying to compare Moss to Boldin....Moss was unproductive when he was traded for that 4th and looked disinterested out on the field. Boldin has showed no such problems and is going to command much more. Getting him for anything other than at least a 1st rounder is a pipe dream. Heck Deion Branch was traded for a 1st and hell I think Doug F'n Jolley a POS TE got traded for a 1st a couple of years ago ROFL

jspchief
08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I personally think Boldin is a top flight receiver, and easily worth a 2nd rnd pick and the new contract that would come with it.

That being said, I don't feel he's a fit for this team. In fact, I don't buy into the idea of building an offense from the outside in. Boldin and Fitzgerald didn't make AZ a powerhouse, they didn't make AZ QBs look particularly more capable, and they didn't make running the ball particulalry easy for the Cards.

In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any great WR tandem that ever had an overwhleming effect on an otherwise mediocre offense. Maybe the Rams with Holt and Bruce, but they did have Faulk too.

I just don't feel like it's the right way to build this team. Just my opinion.

08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I also heard this.
Jack Harry comparing Croyle to Elway and Favre was ridiculous.

Bad comparison but it was obvious what point he was trying to get across. 6 starts is not enough to judge him on.

Mecca
08-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Heh...'people' are still caught up in the old school. Ummm...there's really only one person on the club that it really matters to and he's from the school that believes when you pass the ball 3 things can happen and 2 are bad.

Trading for Boldin would be cool and all, but remember, WR's back in Marty's day were used to block for the 'downhill' running game...that's it. I see no change the Herm style to believe that the addition of another WR is going to 'open' up this offense.

You're right, we don't have a coach that wants to use that style of game and it will hurt us because it puts us behind the times.

It's a hell of alot harder to defend a team that will throw on any down and any situation because they can never come up thinking "ok this is a run"

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 11:03 PM

Funny, 3 things happen when you run the ball and 2 of them are bad...

Gee, what a novel coaching style....

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Just heard King Carl on 610 saying that he has had and will continue talks with Arizona on the Boldin issue. He said Boldin was still young and a very good football player for what it is worth.

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I personally think Boldin is a top flight receiver, and easily worth a 2nd rnd pick and the new contract that would come with it.

That being said, I don't feel he's a fit for this team. In fact, I don't buy into the idea of building an offense from the outside in. Boldin and Fitzgerald didn't make AZ a powerhouse, they didn't make AZ QBs look particularly more capable, and they didn't make running the ball particulalry easy for the Cards.

In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any great WR tandem that ever had an overwhleming effect on an otherwise mediocre offense. Maybe the Rams with Holt and Bruce, but they did have Faulk too.

I just don't feel like it's the right way to build this team. Just my opinion.

these weren't bad offenses because it all starts with the OL but alvin harper Irvin and john taylor jerry rice, jerry rice t.O. those were good tandems They had a shitload of other help obvouisly

Mecca
08-21-2008, 08:00 AM
This isn't even worth arguing anymore because they aren't trading him and if they were they could get a 1st round pick which I'm sure the Chiefs won't offer.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Just heard King Carl on 610 saying that he has had and will continue talks with Arizona on the Boldin issue. He said Boldin was still young and a very good football player for what it is worth.
Interesting....

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Interesting....

Not really.

He's just covering his ass, IMO - which a good GM should do.

He's made his supposed interest in Boldin public, now it will be really easy to say, "well, we tried, but weren't willing to give up what Team X was willing to give."

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Not really.

He's just covering his ass, IMO - which a good GM should do.

He's made his supposed interest in Boldin public, now it will be really easy to say, "well, we tried, but weren't willing to give up what Team X was willing to give."

Yeah, i'll take it with a grain of salt...atleast they've said something...so far ARZ doesn't want to trade him though.

dirk digler
08-21-2008, 08:51 AM

Are you serious or just ****ing with us?

vailpass
08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
FWIW the local sports guys don't think Boldin is going anywhere:

I listen to Bickley & MJ on Sports 910 every morning and Ron Wolfley on 620 am, both guys played for the Cardinals and know all the players, coaches etc.
Their take is that Boldin is under contract for 3 years and is going nowhere unless someone makes AZ an offer they absolutely cannot refuse. That means a first round pick plus.

Wisenhunt was on day before yesterday and acted like he had no idea there was even an issue. "Quan and I talk on the field every day and I don't see that changing".

The local sports talk guys say this is posturing by Quan to get a re-worked deal after this season. They say the Cards want another year out of him at the current price and will then evaluate his worth.

Again, FWIW.

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
FWIW the local sports guys don't think Boldin is going anywhere:

I listen to Bickley & MJ on Sports 910 every morning and Ron Wolfley on 620 am, both guys played for the Cardinals and know all the players, coaches etc.
Their take is that Boldin is under contract for 3 years and is going nowhere unless someone makes AZ an offer they absolutely cannot refuse. That means a first round pick plus.

Wisenhunt was on day before yesterday and acted like he had no idea there was even an issue. "Quan and I talk on the field every day and I don't see that changing".

The local sports talk guys say this is posturing by Quan to get a re-worked deal after this season. They say the Cards want another year out of him at the current price and will then evaluate his worth.

Again, FWIW.

I agree with them.

Arizona would be foolish to trade him.

BigRedChief
08-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with them.

Arizona would be foolish to trade him.
They may not have a choice if Boldin wants to push them. They end up with a big time player making millions sitting on the bench.

vailpass
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
They may not have a choice if Boldin wants to push them. They end up with a big time player making millions sitting on the bench.

Q doesn't make big cash, that is his whole problem.Boldin is scheduled to make $2.5 million in base salary this season, $2.75 million in base salary in 2009 and $3 million in base salary in 2010.
If he wants to sit out and get a year or two older he hurts himself financially.
His agent is Drew Rosenhaus, this stuff is SOP and Drew won't let his client miss out any significant pay checks IMHO.

TEX
08-21-2008, 09:28 AM

Makes no sense.

ROFL Love the sarcasm...

The Bad Guy
08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
The Eagles have offered their first and 2nd round picks in next years draft.

No way the Chiefs go that high.

Nightfyre
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM

Source?

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Damn...the eagles are desperate for a WR now though with Curtis out 6 weeks

OnTheWarpath15
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Wow.

That's ****ing retarded on Philly's part.

BigRedChief
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Wow.

That's ****ing retarded on Philly's part. :shake: Damn. Did Matt Millen give them some advice?

The Bad Guy
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Source?

Philadelphia radio.

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Are you serious or just ****ing with us?

I am not messing with you. I heard King Carl say that to Roger this morning on 610 around 8:45- 9 am. I dont think if what was posted about Philly that we go that far and I cant believe any team is willing to give that much up for him but I have seen worse.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Seriously?

BigRedChief
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I am not messing with you. I heard King Carl say that to Roger this morning on 610 around 8:45- 9 am. I dont think if what was posted about Philly that we go that far and I cant believe any team is willing to give that much up for him but I have seen worse.
you heard King Carl say what this am?

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
I wish philly would trade mcnabb for whatever and rebuild it is obvious he isn't going to get it done

Rausch
08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
If fully healthy I'd trade a first for Boldin in a heartbeat.

He's physical, excellent pass catcher, excellent leader, excellent blocker.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
The Cowboys are interested as well and probably would offer a 1 and some other player. They tried to get him during the draft i believe

Coach
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
ROFL Love the sarcasm...

No sarcasm indeed. :shake:

Bowser
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
If fully healthy I'd trade a first for Boldin in a heartbeat.

He's physical, excellent pass catcher, excellent leader, excellent blocker.

Yeah, but not a first and a second like Philly is offering, according to Bad Guy.

The Bad Guy
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
No sarcasm indeed. :shake:

Then that's just pathetic if you weren't being sarcastic.

PastorMikH
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, WR wants more $, Carl tends to be really cheap
WR's agent is Drew Who? Carl doesn't do a great job dealing with him.

I don't really see it happening. Don't really think we need him either.

FAX
08-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Especially if the Beagles and Cowgirls are interested, Mr. PastorMikH. I think we can safely categorize this deal as a pipe dream. Or, a big doobie nightmare, as you prefer.

FAX

The Bad Guy
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I can understand the money.

But saying this team doesn't need a horse like Boldin is ridiculous.

PastorMikH
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I can understand the money.

But saying this team doesn't need a horse like Boldin is ridiculous.

Could we use him? Sure. But I'm liking what I see with out young WRs right now. We have several that I'm thinking are at least better than most of the projects DV had. He would push some promising players down and off the roster. I've seen a number of plays so far from the young guys that impress me - some of these guys are making better catches than some of the starters in years past. If we are truly rebuilding, I'd rather see what we have with some of these young guys we have now.

Mecca
08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow.

That's ****ing retarded on Philly's part.

They have 2 1sts next year...

ChiefsCountry
08-21-2008, 05:34 PM

I forgot they have Carolina's pick.

SAUTO
08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
even with 2 #1's, does that give you reason to give a 1 and a 2 for a receiver?

Mecca
08-21-2008, 05:40 PM
When you'd likely be drafting a receiver there and its one of your biggest needs why not?

SAUTO
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
i guess so but that seems STEEP for a wr

Mecca
08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
He's a top notch WR...and they're trying to make a run with a team that is getting older they don't have that much longer left.

SAUTO
08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
i know but a 1 AND a 2??????????? come on moss for a 4 branch went for a 1 but how did that go for the seagals?

Mecca
08-21-2008, 05:46 PM
That Moss comparison isn't a good one to use, the Raiders wanted rid of him and he has "issues" Boldin doesn't have any.

SAUTO
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
any wr has "issues" and this one is not the exception, look what he's doing RIGHT NOW

SAUTO
08-21-2008, 05:48 PM
and he has injury concerns

FAX
08-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Man o man. I hate to give up a #1 for anybody right now. We have an opportunity to load up with solid, young talent this coming off-season. I don't think Herm would be willing to give up anything more than a #2 (perhaps going to a #1 contingent on production, or something like that), and rightfully so. I'd say stick to your guns and gut it out and hold your horses and shoot the dog. It's one of those hypotheticalisms anyhow. Since, between the Eagles and Cowboys demonstrated interest and Carl's tight pockets, there's very little chance this will turn into something for the Chiefs.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM

if i'm arizona and already have fitzgerald, i say yes to that immediately....

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
i know but a 1 AND a 2??????????? come on moss for a 4 branch went for a 1 but how did that go for the seagals?

The Iggles are in win now mode. If they think the proven guy puts them in position to make a run, you do what you have to do. There's no guarantee that those picks pan out. Bolden is a can't miss WR. He's a playmaker, McNabb needs one pretty bad. I wouldn't do it, but I can see how the Eagles would be considering it.

Coach
08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Then that's just pathetic if you weren't being sarcastic.

Like I explained before, there is no reason for the Chiefs to be looking into Boldin for the fact that the Chiefs are NOT DESIGNED TO SET THE PASS to the run, as Mecca is pointing out, the "new school"

Here's what bothers me. People wants to buy alot of skilled positions players, yet they wonder why the skilled position players aren't earning their money? And the last thing that should be done is committing way too much money on two skilled positions (See Surtain and Law) and that was a epic failure all around.

But anyways, back to what I was saying about the skilled positions who are not performing well. Well, piss-poor line can do that to you. It doesn't matter if you are a receiver or a CB, if you don't get very good line play, your job just got more harder. And right now, IMHO, the Chiefs O-line is more of a high priority than a receiver as of this moment, becuase of the fact that we severly lack quality depth.

Coach
08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
When you'd likely be drafting a receiver there and its one of your biggest needs why not?

Okay, let's say hypothecially this trade happens. The Chiefs get Boldin and they gave Arizona their 1st and a 2nd or a 3rd, whatever.

Then the Chiefs go 4-12 again this year, and Croyle got hurt, Thigpen isn't the answer to the future. QB becomes a problem. Assuming we finish 4-12, that's more than likely a top 5 pick again, which could mean the Stafford guy from Georgia, or whoever the top QB of the 2009 NFL Draft Classs is.

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Okay, let's say hypothecially this trade happens. The Chiefs get Boldin and they gave Arizona their 1st and a 2nd or a 3rd, whatever.

Then the Chiefs go 4-12 again this year, and Croyle got hurt, Thigpen isn't the answer to the future. QB becomes a problem. Assuming we finish 4-12, that's more than likely a top 5 pick again, which could mean the Stafford guy from Georgia, or whoever the top QB of the 2009 NFL Draft Classs is.

I would never be cool with a team like Chiefs doing this. Their picks will be too high, and we need lots of players. I could see a team like the Eagles doing it though.

StcChief
08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
he'll be in Philly, Dallas, Washington

Buehler445
08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
The Iggles are in win now mode. If they think the proven guy puts them in position to make a run, you do what you have to do. There's no guarantee that those picks pan out. Bolden is a can't miss WR. He's a playmaker, McNabb needs one pretty bad. I wouldn't do it, but I can see how the Eagles would be considering it.

They seem to be getting some bad breaks lately. They tried to trade ahead of us to get Albert, but someone ratted them out. Now AZ won't take a 1 AND A 2??? Who did they piss off?

Chiefshrink
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
People, People of the Chiefsplanet!!!!!! Mauriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tellin ya this guy is gonna be real good! Assuming we have a decent QBOTF.

Chiefshrink
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind the source.:)

Nightfyre
08-22-2008, 01:37 AM
People, People of the Chiefsplanet!!!!!! Mauriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tellin ya this guy is gonna be real good! Assuming we have a decent QBOTF.

Yea, I don't care, he's got about a 1.5% chance if that to be as good as Boldin.

OnTheWarpath15
08-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Still retarded, IMO.

Take away his injury history, and I'd be all for it as an Eagles fan.

But, much like you with Croyle, I can't expect Boldin to get through an entire 16 game season.

10-12 games per season isn't worth 2 high picks, IMO.