PDA

View Full Version : Music Leroi Moore (DMB sax player) dead

DaFace
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/08/19/dave-matthews-band-saxophonist-leroi-moore-dead-at-46/

Dave Matthews Band Saxophonist LeRoi Moore Dead at 46
8/19/08, 10:36 pm EST

LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of the Dave Matthews Band, died suddenly in Los Angeles Tuesday afternoon after suffering complications from an ATV accident in June. Moore was 46. The June 30th accident on Moore’s farm in Charlottesville, Virginia, left him with broken ribs and a punctured lung. Moore was on the path to recovery, arriving in Los Angeles for an intensive physical rehabilitation program, but according to the DMB Website, he returned to the hospital last month due to complications. A representative for Dave Matthews Band confirmed Moore’s passing and in a statement the band indicated the musician died at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center. Since Moore’s accident, DMB has continued on with their U.S. tour with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones’ saxophonist Jeff Coffin filling in. Despite Moore’s death, the band still performed Tuesday night at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, which featured a setlist that contained a number of tributes to their fallen bandmate.

DaFace
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I know he wasn't the big name of the band, but his sound was definitely iconic on their early albums. Sad loss for the music industry, IMO.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
This guy was great and original musician. RIP.

Vegas_Dave
08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
I didnt care for him much as a saxophonist, but a very nice guy (met him once - brought some mouthpieces for him to try to their hotel once) and his "sound" fit the style of the band very well.

Big DMB fan myself and I am very sad to hear this.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I recieved a call early this morning. Damn that sucks. Dave Matthews band changed the way we looked at the world for sure. Spawned countless of other folk bands. We keep on loosing legends but aren't replacing them near fast enough. I pray for his family, friends, and fans.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
# 41 plays in my head today, and reminds me of youth, and love, and pain, and for minute, I feel some of the feelings that can only be captured by experiencing some of the world for the first time, and a man who has gone numb emotionally in a lot of ways feels his throat knot, and his eyes well up.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
# 41 plays in hy head today, and reminds me of youth, and love, and pain, and for minute, I feel some of the feelings that can only be captured by experiencing some of the world for the first time, and a man who has gone numb emotionally in a lot of ways feels his throat knot, and his eyes well up.

Dave Matthews has changed the ways many people have lived their lives. A true ICON of music.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I remember growing up many a times just not going want to go out then I would hear two step and the yearning, yodling in dave matthews voice. The pain and the suffering really showed through. Made me think deeper and longer about the changes in my life at the time it came out. When everyone else was singing about things that don't matter dave matthews band was getting to the core of music. With rhythim, class, and dignaty ususally reserved for someone decades later.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Dave Matthews has changed the ways many people have lived their lives. A true ICON of music.

The band with more actual positive impact on the world than any other of our generation.

chasedude
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I've never been a Mathew's band fan, they're music is ok. I'd rather listen to them than Cher. Losing a musician is tough, they speak their own language through music. Actually Music is truly the universal language. There's no need to understand it, just listen.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Sure DMB is no Creed, but they are respectable.

Sad....RIP Leroi.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Sure DMB is no Creed, but they are respectable.

Sad....RIP Leroi.

Creed? LOL.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I did hear the new hinder bootleg today. It looks like 2009 is going to be a big year for rock

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I did hear the new hinder bootleg today. It looks like 2009 is going to be a big year for rock

Coming from a guy whose favorite band is Nickel Back, that's not saying much. Oh, and hinder sucks.
Nevermind about hinder, I haven't heard the new stuff.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll bet Huard listens to Nickle back.

KC Kings
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Founding member? I thought Carter Beauford founded the band after playing in a club that DM bartended at?

Regardless, it is sad to hear. There are lots of extremely talented musicians in the world, but very few can not only come together and play with the same band AND make outstanding and original music.

Redrum_69
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Creed is horrible

DMB is worse

Good riddance, sax player.

Crashride
08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Creed is horrible

DMB is worse

:rolleyes: Sax player or not its still a sad situation the guy died from a ATV accident. Whether you like them or not they have inspired many bands today. I rank them up there with U2 etc...

Pablo
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
"skibbity-bob, ants and insects and stuff, zippity-zap..."

Some comedian did a funny little bit about singing along to DMB.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Coming from a guy whose favorite band is Nickel Back, that's not saying much. Oh, and hinder sucks.
Nevermind about hinder, I haven't heard the new stuff.

I would have to agree I am exicited!

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
"skibbity-bob, ants and insects and stuff, zippity-zap..."

Some comedian did a funny little bit about singing along to DMB.

little baby!

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
I love nickleback. I wouldn't quite put dave matthews band in that type of genre but both bands are grood

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
My fav nickle back's songs would probably be
1. How you remind me
2. rockstar
3. Animals
4. Photograph
5. how you remind me

DJay23
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Founding member? I thought Carter Beauford founded the band after playing in a club that DM bartended at?

Regardless, it is sad to hear. There are lots of extremely talented musicians in the world, but very few can not only come together and play with the same band AND make outstanding and original music.

I simply think they mean when the original lineup was set, Moore was one of the them. He was hanging around Miller's in Charlottesville, VA playing with his band(s) like Carter and knew a good thing when he saw it but I digress.

My buddy called me late last night and told me about it, later than he normally would. I knew something was wrong. It's like someone in your family when you become so familiar with someone through books, music, interviews, etc. Leroi had a lot of demons in life, but was apparently able to beat them only to succumb to something seemingly so mundane.

DMB helped me through a tough time in my life as well, and I've often explained to people, that a concert gives me the feeling I imagine some get from going to church. I'm not a religious person myself, but when I hear certain songs that remind me of tougher times, and how it seemed these 5 musicians either understood or at least had been there too, it comforts me to this day. They are my favorite band and always will be.

I wonder now about the band's future? They've considered themselves family, I wonder if they have the heart to go on much longer if this will inspire them to keep moving.

alpha_omega
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Sad to hear....RIP.

Not a huge DMB fan, but i did just see them in Houston last week...and they do put on a heck of a show. The guy they had sitting in on sax did a pretty outstanding job...i know he is with some other band...i wonder if they will try to move forward with him, or if they will be finding someone else.

At any rate....RIP LeRoi.

alpha_omega
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM

I would say that is a little harsh....even for you Red.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Nickleback is awesome! Every song sounds the same, which means you dont have to have a favorite, they are all the same... Rock on same song guys...

BTW, isnt the lead singer of Dave Mathews Band gay?

DaFace
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I love nickleback. I wouldn't quite put dave matthews band in that type of genre but both bands are grood

I'm hoping this is your typical schtick, but I figured I'd post my "favorite" nickleback song anyway...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/daface/nickelbacksucks.mp3

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Nickleback is awesome! Every song sounds the same, which means you dont have to have a favorite, they are all the same... Rock on same song guys...

Come on...nearly every great band has a certain "sound" and "sameness" that they stick to. Then when they try to get creative with their sound and change, the fans reject it.

"Hey, play the old stuff!"

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I love nickleback. You know on bullet vinny paul from pantera let nickleback's drummer play it because the drummer is that good

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Come on...nearly every great band has a certain "sound" and "sameness" that they stick to. Then when they try to get creative with their sound and change, the fans reject it.

"Hey, play the old stuff!"

Even though photograph was a megahit in 10 or so countries there was alot of backlash about how different it sounds.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
thats what the great ones do. From photograph to animals you can tell they keep evolving. The new Nickleback should be out by christmas

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
thats what the great ones do. From photograph to animals you can tell they keep evolving. The new Nickleback should be out by christmas

Awesume. You can never get too much Nickelback. IM hoping its the long rumoured Double CD.

Demonpenz
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Awesume. You can never get too much Nickelback. IM hoping its the long rumoured Double CD.

I don't think nickleback will do a double cd. Just because the money involved. That is just the way nickle back is. On the other hand there is a double cd from Nickleback on ebay some bootlegs. I am trying to get the nickleback bootleg at a decent price but it looks like it might bee too. High. I am thinking about buying a new cd player at the end of the year for the new cd

DJay23
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM

BTW, isnt the lead singer of Dave Mathews Band gay?

He is married to his long time girlfriend and has 3 children, so I'm guessing no.

He did play a gay guy in, "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry." From the books I've read, a lot of people expected him to go into acting early on, but he went the music route. They say he could have been a great actor. He was also in a kid's movie, "Because of Winn Dixie" and did a pretty good job in that as sort of a slacker pet store owner.

bringbackmarty
08-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I could care less about DMB, but I'm glad so many people got so much out of so little musically.

If we could transfer that type of efficiency to our automobiles, health care, housing, government, the tax code, and our power grid we would have no problems whatsoever in America.

That said, always sad to lose a band member. I've lost a couple.

beach tribe
08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
I could care less about DMB, but I'm glad so many people got so much out of so little musically.

If we could transfer that type of efficiency to our automobiles, health care, housing, government, the tax code, and our power grid we would have no problems whatsoever in America.

That said, always sad to lose a band member. I've lost a couple.

So you're saying that DMB is "little musically"?

I'm sure your band was much more talented.

Redrum_69
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I would say that is a little harsh....even for you Red.

I dont recall making that post yesterday

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I dont recall making that post yesterday

Sometimes we say what we don't mean and mean what you mean when you say it.
-Saliva

beach tribe
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Nickle back is not a bad band. They are just not really rock IMO.

More like a top 40s pop band

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
He is married to his long time girlfriend and has 3 children, so I'm guessing no.

He did play a gay guy in, "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry." From the books I've read, a lot of people expected him to go into acting early on, but he went the music route. They say he could have been a great actor. He was also in a kid's movie, "Because of Winn Dixie" and did a pretty good job in that as sort of a slacker pet store owner.
Cool thanks!