PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Position Review: Wide Receivers

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/position-review-wide-receivers.html

Position Review: Wide Receivers
August 20, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

Over the next 10 days, I will take a look at each position on the Chiefs and where I think the roster decisions are headed for the regular season. My conclusions are based on what Iíve seen during this pre-season and what I know about the Chiefs and what they are trying to create with this 2008 team. But just remember, these are my guesses, so donít commit them to stone! Events may change the picture at any position over the next two weeks.

Letís focus on wide receivers.

Currently, the Chiefs have 10 wide receivers on their roster. In his first two seasons, Edwards started the season with five wide receivers on the opening roster. But in both of those cases, the player handling returns in the kicking game was listed as a wide receiver: Dante Hall in 2006 and Eddie Drummond in the 2007 season. That may not be the case this season, as right now it looks like RB Dantrell Savage may be the return guy. Veteran free agent B.J. Sams has been working at wide receiver and he still has two games to claim the returnerís job.

Keep in mind the obvious formula in the NFL: 25 on offense, 25 on defense and 3 special teamers makes for a 53-man roster. Generally, the roster has 13 players at wide receiver/tight end/running back.

Dewayne Bowe, Devard Darling and rookie Will Franklin have the top three spots at wide receiver. Bowe and Darling have been running as the starters, with Franklin the first guy off the bench when the offense goes to three wideouts.

Itís a big battle for the fourth and possibly final spot. Jeff Webb, Maurice Price and Bobby Sippio are part of the discussion. Price should have an edge because he provides the Chiefs with something they lack at wide receiver and thatís speed. Heís also active on special teams. Webb started very slowly in training camp, but he keeps turning up in practices making big catches. Everybody knows Sippioís story: no speed, great hands and work ethic.

Both Kevin McMahan and rookies Jabari Arthur and Sergiori Joachim have shown flashes of talent, but not enough to claim a spot on the 53-man roster.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Dammit bring in Boldin!!!!

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
[url]Webb started very slowly in training camp, but he keeps turning up in practices making big catches.

Who cares about practices?? How about showing it in um....real games???

Direckshun
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
My personal depth chart:

1 Bowe
2 Franklin

Darling
Price
Webb

Practice squad?: Jabari Arthur

Kerberos
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I am a Sippio homer but I am starting to see the writing on the wall. I want what is best fot the Chiefs and if means bye bye Sippio, then so be it.

:sulk:

Buehler445
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
IMO Sippio is gone. From what I've seen and read (never saw the AZ game) Price is performing at a much higher level than Webb. I don't want the productive rook to sit and then listen to Herm saying, "The good thing about Webb is he's played in football games. That's the good thing about him."

Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
1. Bowe
2. Darling
3. Franklin
4. Webb
5. Price

Micjones
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
We need to carry 5 wideouts.

Bowe, Darling, Franklin, Price, and Webb.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Bowe, Boldin, Franklin, Price, and Webb.

I Like those 5 better!

Frosty
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Generally, the roster has 13 players at wide receiver/tight end/running back.

TE:
TonyG
Cottom
? (Allen? Hasn't been too impressive)

FB:
Cox

HB:
LJ
Smith (also backup FB)
Charles
Savage (KR also)

WR:
Bowe
Darling
Franklin
Price
Webb

Robinson and Merritt to IR

Seems like it all fits.

Woodrow Call
08-20-2008, 12:57 PM
The trio of Bowe, Franklin, and Price has me pretty excited. They could grow into a very explosive group IMO.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Robinson is going on IR?

Buehler445
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Bowe, Darling, Franklin, Price, and Webb.

Why do you say that? Not being condescending, just want to know. My view on it is that carrying 5 WRs will take a spot away from RB. In my view, RB spots are critical because: 1 we have what appears to be good talent there, and 2 we went through 5 of them last year.

Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Chief
08-20-2008, 01:10 PM
[url]Dewayne Bowe, Devard Darling and rookie Will Franklin have the top three spots at wide receiver.

Dewayne..?

WTF???

The Rick
08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
TE:
TonyG
Cottom
? (Allen? Hasn't been too impressive)

FB:
Cox

HB:
LJ
Smith (also backup FB)
Charles
Savage (KR also)

WR:
Bowe
Darling
Franklin
Price
Webb

Robinson and Merritt to IR

Seems like it all fits.
What about Jackie Battle?

Pestilence
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
What about Jackie Battle?

Dude's not going to make it.

StcChief
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Dollars really say no way to Bouldin... he could endup in Washington (Synder brings 'em)

Al Davis shot his load on mistakes ..... no way in AFCW

Mecca
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I really don't like Jeff Webb..

Claynus
08-20-2008, 07:43 PM

No shit? You've never said that before.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
No shit? You've never said that before.

What do you like about him??

Whats so special about him?

Why do the Chiefs keep thinking hes going to bust out?

Its great that he can make catches in practice, but it would be nice of he showed something in a real game sometime.

aturnis
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM

I second that.

Claynus
08-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I know Webb hasn't dropped any passes this preseason. You know, like some receivers.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/bobby_sippio.jpg

DeezNutz
08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I know Webb hasn't dropped any passes this preseason. You know, like some receivers.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/bobby_sippio.jpg

So he's better than Sippio, for one? That's back-handed praise.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Lets hope Webb can Join Sippio on the unemployment line.

Buehler445
08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Lets hope Webb can Join Sippio on the unemployment line.

Here's to hoping...

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
What do you like about him??

Whats so special about him?

Why do the Chiefs keep thinking hes going to bust out?

Its great that he can make catches in practice, but it would be nice of he showed something in a real game sometime.

To be honest he isn't much different than many 4th and 5th wideouts from around the league. He probably will never be a starter in the league, but as a depth chart filler 4th or 5th wideout he isn't bad. It's not like teams are 4 and 5 deep in stud wideouts.

Claynus
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
To be honest he isn't much different than many 4th and 5th wideouts from around the league. He probably will never be a starter in the league, but as a depth chart filler 4th or 5th wideout he isn't bad. It's not like teams are 4 and 5 deep in stud wideouts.

You could do a lot worse than a 6-2, 4.4 guy at that spot.

Let's not forget he only has one year of real playing experience.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
You could do a lot worse than a 6-2, 4.4 guy at that spot.

Let's not forget he only has one year of real playing experience.

I agree. It usually takes recievers a few years to develop anyway. I think it's safe to say he makes the team.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
keep in mind that Boldin wants out of Arizona because they won't give him a contract for 10 million per year.

luv
08-20-2008, 08:59 PM
keep in mind that Boldin wants out of Arizona because they won't give him a contract for 10 million per year.

Yeah. No thanks. JMO