PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Help from car experts..

Wa-Z
08-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Short version...My car overheated so we changed the thermostat but it didn't fix it so I took my car to the shop and it took them about a week to figure it is the radiator and told me it would be 475 dollars. It's a 1999 Ford Contour SVT (Manual V6). I have a friend that works at Oreilly's and he got me a radiator for $100, and the mechanic said he'd do it for $160. They called me today and said that it is the wrong radiator because the one I brought is for automatic transmissions and Oreilly's doesn't have another listing so now I have to pay 475 for a damn radiator.

Is there a difference between manual and automatics?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Antifreeze will solve this.

Bwana
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
now I have to pay 475 for a damn radiator.

Is there a difference between manual and automatics?

yes

Go here: buy Bwana a LARGE beer next time you run into him.

http://car-part.com/

RibKing67
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
There is. I think it has something to do with the tranny coolant lines. If Oreilly's does not show it you may be getting the shaft though.?? I am not a mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes, there is a difference. The radiator is used to cool the transmission fluid in an automatic, and it will have hydraulic lines running into it.

Wa-Z
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, there is a difference. The radiator is used to cool the transmission fluid in an automatic, and it will have hydraulic lines running into it.

Could it be used on a manual?

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I suppose as long as it will still bolt up and the hoses line up, although when it comes to cars things are rarely that simple.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Hum? something isnt adding up right.. Regardless of the coolant lines for the tranny, it still should of fit. IF so then just plug the holes on the radiator...

Phobia
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll give you $800 for your car as-is.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Hum? something isnt adding up right.. Regardless of the coolant lines for the tranny, it still should of fit. IF so then just plug the holes on the radiator...
Keyword being "should", but Ford probably had a better idea.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Keyword being "should", but Ford probably had a better idea.
That is why I buy and restore nothing by Chevrolet.....

HemiEd
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
In most cases, the replacement radiators will accomodate both. You just don't use the cooling line holes in the radiator. Most of them I have seen, come plugged, and you take them out, and put fittings in for an automatic.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
In most cases, the replacement radiators will accomodate both. You just don't use the cooling line holes in the radiator. Most of them I have seen, come plugged, and you take them out, and put fittings in for an automatic.
Thats what I thought, I just replaced the radiator,water pump and thermostat in my s-10 and that is the way it came...

Replaced all 3 in my suburban last summer and same thing...

So what is Ford doing that is different?

HemiEd
08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Thats what I thought, I just replaced the radiator,water pump and thermostat in my s-10 and that is the way it came...

Replaced all 3 in my suburban last summer and same thing...

So what is Ford doing that is different?

The "Mechanic" is my initial suspect, I don't think even Ford is that stupid.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Fair enough... That was my thinking as well...

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Ummmm....

http://www.ehuggydesigns.com/1971_ford_pinto.jpg

HemiEd
08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Ummmm....

ROFL, this thread has potential.

Seriously though, I never met a mechanic or shop yet, that didn't hate someone bringing their own parts. I can't say as I blame them, kinda like bringing your own bottle of wine, to a steakhouse.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM

No. You have an inlet and an outlet line going into and out of the radiator on an automatic transmission. Those are your cooler lines, and they do go into a cooler that is inside your radiator, it circulates the fluid to keep the temp. cooler. We add a lot of external coolers on trucks that plow snow, tow, or just get used and abused. We also put them on high performance cars, and bigger vans/SUV's it's a great extra insurance policy. Back to the thread topic, you want to use what is specific to your vehicle, so yes you would need to get a radiator for a manual.

Edit: Some manufactures like previously stated can/do make radiators that you can make fit either. Almost all the radiators we have replaced have been direct fit application, so in most cases you need the radiator specific to your application (A/T or M/T)

StcChief
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Seriously though, I never met a mechanic or shop yet, that didn't hate someone bringing their own parts. I can't say as I blame them, kinda like bringing your own bottle of wine, to a steakhouse.Isn't it a liability issue (what I was told) if something goes wrong they don't want the "part" to force free replacement.

Get another mechanic that likes "cash" side jobs.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Seriously though, I never met a mechanic or shop yet, that didn't hate someone bringing their own parts. I can't say as I blame them, kinda like bringing your own bottle of wine, to a steakhouse.

Good point Hemi. We will use people parts (clutches, transmissions, rear diffs etc.), it will save you (the customer) money , but we won't warranty the part obviously. So if that part doesn't work, your going to have to pay labor again to remove the part and replace it. People always wonder why parts get a markup, it's because any reputable shop is going to warranty their parts and their labor. Now certain used parts carry less warranties, but none the less it's still a warranty. Most of the shops around our area hate people who bring their own parts and will not use customer supplied parts.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Isn't it a liability issue (what I was told) if something goes wrong they don't want the "part" to force free replacement.

Yes and no, it depends on what your working on. Obviously frame and drivetrain work isn't something you want to try out some used/questionable parts on. Don't take jobs to side mechanics, half of the time they jigger rig things and don't do it right because the quicker they get it done, the quicker they get paid. Not always true but most of the moon lighters in our area are terrible. Most people who do use side mechanics are usually using someone they know or trust, which can still lead to bad dealings. I should write a book with all the stories I have heard from customers about this topic.

Dartgod
08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Ummmm....

Ummmm...

StcChief
08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes and no, it depends on what your working on. Obviously frame and drivetrain work isn't something you want to try out some used/questionable parts on. Don't take jobs to side mechanics, half of the time they jigger rig things and don't do it right because the quicker they get it done, the quicker they get paid. Not always true but most of the moon lighters in our area are terrible. Most people who do use side mechanics are usually using someone they know or trust, which can still lead to bad dealings. I should write a book with all the stories I have heard from customers about this topic.yeah I know about horror stories.
I had a side Mechanic did water pumps, belts, easy stuff. Cash only.
You had to leave car for whole weekend F nite to Su nite. didn't bother me. was very fair and never had a problem. To each his own. We knew they guy and family though.....

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Ummmm...

And then there is everyones favorite at the same time, no car left more people walking.

Dartgod
08-21-2008, 08:55 AM
And then there is everyones favorite at the same time, no car left more people walking.
What was that one called? The CVCC?

Rooster
08-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Antifreeze will solve this.

ROFL You might be right.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Good point Hemi. We will use people parts (clutches, transmissions, rear diffs etc.), it will save you (the customer) money , but we won't warranty the part obviously. So if that part doesn't work, your going to have to pay labor again to remove the part and replace it. People always wonder why parts get a markup, it's because any reputable shop is going to warranty their parts and their labor. Now certain used parts carry less warranties, but none the less it's still a warranty. Most of the shops around our area hate people who bring their own parts and will not use customer supplied parts.

Sounds like you try and accomodate your customers, as a lot of shops do.

My Buddy, that has a fairly large shop, works on a lot of tired old junk. He has people bring in their own parts a lot, but has finally gotten to the point of refusing them. Just for the reasons you stated.
People forget, it is an actual person going to fix their car, and you already pissed him off, before he really gets started.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 09:01 AM
What was that one called? The CVCC?

Good call! When the first gas crunch hit, I tried to trade my brand new Chevelle wagon for TWO of those cars.

Would have really been a big mistake, the salesman saved me from myself. So did the Chevy salesman when I tried to do the same thing for two Vegas. He more or less told me they were junk, I was shocked.

StcChief
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Good call! When the first gas crunch hit, I tried to trade my brand new Chevelle wagon for TWO of those cars.

Would have really been a big mistake, the salesman saved me from myself. So did the Chevy salesman when I tried to do the same thing for two Vegas. He more or less told me they were junk, I was shocked.my X and family had 2 Vegas... aka the "Vegrant"
this car was trouble from the get go. 50K miles if your lucky

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Ummmm...

Fair enough. It's safe to say the Big 3 had a lot of trouble figuring out how to build a small car, hell Chrysler was still selling these shit boxes in the 90s.

http://i.cnn.net/money/galleries/2007/autos/0705/gallery.chrysler_history/images/1978_dg_omni.jpg

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Fair enough. It's safe to say the Big 3 had a lot of trouble figuring out how to build a small car, hell Chrysler was still selling these shit boxes in the 90s.

http://i.cnn.net/money/galleries/2007/autos/0705/gallery.chrysler_history/images/1978_dg_omni.jpg

My Dad got great service out of his 78 Omni, didn't it have a VW motor?

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
my X and family had 2 Vegas... aka the "Vegrant"
this car was trouble from the get go. 50K miles if your lucky

They were rushed to market, I think. Didn't they have an alluminum 4 Cyl that wasn't sleeved, or something like that?

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
They were rushed to market, I think. Didn't they have an alluminum 4 Cyl that wasn't sleeved, or something like that?

Yep, the rings didn't last very long in them, they'd be burning oil in no time. My dad had one, luckily for him it got totaled by a semi in a snowstorm so the insurance company had to buy it from him.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
My Dad got great service out of his 78 Omni, didn't it have a VW motor?
I don't recall that they did, but it's possible. They may have been decent cars in their time but I still can't believe how long ChryCo hung on to that design, they never even did one major restyling on it.

joesomebody
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Radiators aren't all that difficult to replace anyway. No way in hell I'd pay a mechanic to do that simple of a job.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Would have really been a big mistake, the salesman saved me from myself. So did the Chevy salesman when I tried to do the same thing for two Vegas. He more or less told me they were junk, I was shocked.

Hey Hemi, on a side note what do you think about the 08 SRT Hemi, im not a Hemi fan but that rascal sounds wicked. I am getting the 2010 Camaro SS next year and that baby will put out 422 horses of mean power. I like seeing Chrysler bringing back some old US muscle, in the Hemi Charger, Daytona Hemi Challenger is nice also. Im a GM (mainly Buick but Chevy too) but those cars are pretty sharp.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Radiators aren't all that difficult to replace anyway. No way in hell I'd pay a mechanic to do that simple of a job.

Depends on the vehicle model and the age of "said" vehicle.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't recall that they did, but it's possible. They may have been decent cars in their time but I still can't believe how long ChryCo hung on to that design, they never even did one major restyling on it.

they just expanded the line, to the Omni 024. Little sister had one, then later bought the same car with a Charger name on it. Go figure.
Oh, and the police started using this version for speed traps around Wichita.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey Hemi, on a side note what do you think about the 08 SRT Hemi, im not a Hemi fan but that rascal sounds wicked. I am getting the 2010 Camaro SS next year and that baby will put out 422 horses of mean power. I like seeing Chrysler bringing back some old US muscle, in the Hemi Charger, Daytona Hemi Challenger is nice also. Im a GM (mainly Buick but Chevy too) but those cars are pretty sharp.

I had an identical car to my avatar, ship yesterday from the factory. :)
I have had it on order since the first of the year. I ordered the R/T though, never was interested in the SRT8.
Frazod was with me when I saw it for the first time at the Chicago Auto Show, he had to dob the drool off of my lips.

I said at the time, if they ever produce an R/T, with the 5.7 MDS Hemi, I will be an owner. I think the 375 hp, is plenty for a daily driver.

The boss has a Camaro in her plans, it is going to be fun again! Did you know the Camaro is as heavy as the Challenger? Both are over 4000 lbs.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
they just expanded the line, to the Omni 024. Little sister had one, then later bought the same car with a Charger name on it. Go figure.
Oh, and the police started using this version for speed traps around Wichita.
LOL, I remember the Charger version of that one, the guy who I bought my '71 Road Runner from replaced it with one of those. They actually weren't a bad looking little car at the time.

And don't forget the other spinoff from that car, the legendary Dodge Rampage:

http://northeastclassiccars.com/vehicle_images%5C1984%20Dodge%20Rampage1.jpg

StcChief
08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, and the police started using this version for speed traps around Wichita.I had an 1981 Omni with VW 2.4L what a piece except the engine.

joesomebody
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Depends on the vehicle model and the age of "said" vehicle.Fair enough. I've never ran into problems, but then my vehicles are typically 8-10 years on the back side of new, so plenty of time for detailed Hayne's Manuals to come out.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I had an identical car to my avatar, ship yesterday from the factory. :)
I have had it on order since the first of the year. I ordered the R/T though, never was interested in the SRT8.
Frazod was with me when I saw it for the first time at the Chicago Auto Show, he had to dob the drool off of my lips.

I said at the time, if they ever produce an R/T, with the 5.7 MDS Hemi, I will be an owner. I think the 375 hp, is plenty for a daily driver.

The boss has a Camaro in her plans, it is going to be fun again! Did you know the Camaro is as heavy as the Challenger? Both are over 4000 lbs.
When I grad next spring the 69 comes home and she will be finished...

I miss her dearly!

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
LOL, I remember the Charger version of that one, the guy who I bought my '71 Road Runner from replaced it with one of those. They actually weren't a bad looking little car at the time.

She just said the other day, the 024 was a great car, the Charger was POS.

Younger brother had a silver Rampage, with a cap on it. Drove it a long time.

I had an 1981 Omni with VW 2.4L what a piece except the engine.
I really think Chrysler was trying to emulate the success of the VW bug, at the time. Of course, we all know that didn't happen. I don't think they ever did anything jointly with VW before or since.

Frosty
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM

My sister-in-law had one of those when I first met my wife.

What a monumental piece of crap that car was. :shake:

Radar Chief
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM

:LOL: One of the engineers I work with restored one of those a couple of years ago. Spent lots of time and $$$ on it, the rest of us canít figure out why.

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM

I liked the Brat more than the Rampage.

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

That was my first car a 1975 CVCC. POS. I did drive the hell out of it though. 1200cc motor haha now they have motorcycles with bigger engines. Just ask Midnight Dooshbag.

Hog Farmer
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
If the mechanic is that much of a loser then how confident can you be that he diagnosed the problem correctly ? Just because your car is overheating doesn't mean you have a bad radiator, it could just as well be something like the gyrocon sensor or the vagule knob has come lose. What I would do is wait until winter and drive it while it's freezing outside and see if it still over heats. If it does then I'd definitely start with replacing the horn switches.

Wa-Z
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

lol, I felt kind of bad doing it but saving $200 is more important to me than pissing of a mechanic...especially since I am moving back to school this week.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
That was my first car a 1975 CVCC. POS. I did drive the hell out of it though. 1200cc motor haha now they have motorcycles with bigger engines. Just ask Midnight Dooshbag.

Blasphemy! Honda only made good cars, they are and have always been perfect! ROFL

This is why I find it so funny that people still want to "punish" the big 3 for the junk they put out in the 70s, but nobody put out a worse POS than Honda did in the 70s.

Heck, my own daughter talked me into buying her a late 70s Civic. Couldn't keep a head gasket in the thing, among other attrocities.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
lol, I felt kind of bad doing it but saving $200 is more important to me than pissing of a mechanic...especially since I am moving back to school this week.

I totally understand your side of it as well, $475 for that radiator is nuts. Most shops can size up the value of the car, the customers budget, and come up with a solution that makes sense. That is one of the reasons I said, the "mechanic" is my first suspect.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I liked the Brat more than the Rampage.

Haha, where did the rear facing seats go, that are supposded to be in the bed of the "truck?"

The Brat was a move to circumvent the import quotas on small pickups, they reason the put seats in the bed.

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Blasphemy! Honda only made good cars, they are and have always been perfect! ROFL

This is why I find it so funny that people still want to "punish" the big 3 for the junk they put out in the 70s, but nobody put out a worse POS than Honda did in the 70s.

Heck, my own daughter talked me into buying her a late 70s Civic. Couldn't keep a head gasket in the thing, among other attrocities.

There were not many cars in the mid 70's made by anyone that were "good". From what I remember they were mostly throw away cars. Although my brother had one of these and while yes it was a POS I thought it was kinda cool at the time. His was white.80743

StcChief
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
There were not many cars in the mid 70's made by anyone that were "good". From what I remember they were mostly throw away cars. Although my brother had one of these and while yes it was a POS I thought it was kinda cool at the time. His was white.80743is that a "Matador" my buddy had one. Roomy back seat for all kinds of extra corricular activity. :)

RibKing67
08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
is that a "Matador" my buddy had one. Roomy back seat for all kinds of extra corricular activity. :)

Correct.....1978 Matador Coupe

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
There were not many cars in the mid 70's made by anyone that were "good". From what I remember they were mostly throw away cars. Although my brother had one of these and while yes it was a POS I thought it was kinda cool at the time. His was white.80743

Is that a Marlin, or an Ambassador? ROFL You are right about the cars of the 70s, for sure. 74, was when the shit really started rolling out of Detroit. That was the first year of an emission standard, that Detroit didn't know how to handle. First year of the catalytic converters as well.

GM just took all the compression out of their engines, and Chrysler came up with their now famous "Lean Burn Electronic Ignition" that wouldn't run on a regular basis.

I bought a new 77 Dodge 3/4 ton Maxi van, that is still the biggest POS I have ever owned. Nothing worked, and the dealer thought I was nuts for expecting it to work. Never did get the gas gauge to work, I ended up dropping the tank on a 6 month old vehicle myself trying to fix it.

##edit## I forgot about the Matador, never was much into Ramblers. They were always like the retarded kid in school, kind of felt compassion for them, but also made fun of them.

El Jefe
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Has anyone seen the pictures of the new El Camino. Pontiac bought the rights to the El Camino name, and they are going to call it the G8 something, give me a few minutes and I will find some pictures. I think it is hideous FTR. *Hemi, I did know the Camaro weighed that much, it seems like a bit big, but it will be worth it IMO.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Has anyone seen the pictures of the new El Camino. Pontiac bought the rights to the El Camino name, and they are going to call it the G8 something, give me a few minutes and I will find some pictures. I think it is hideous FTR. *Hemi, I did know the Camaro weighed that much, it seems like a bit big, but it will be worth it IMO.

I find it funny that one division of GM would have to buy something from the other. But I have done a lot of business with Delphi, and they run like a bunch of little seperate companies.

They seem to have "calmed" the styling of the new Camaro down from the concept a little. I hated the concept car, but the production car is pretty nice.

Wa-Z
08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
The shop called me today and told me my car was ready and they were able to use the part I took in!! :)

plbrdude
08-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Isn't it a liability issue (what I was told) if something goes wrong they don't want the "part" to force free replacement.

as a plumber i have people buying their own stuff sometimes such water heaters, faucets, and disposals. i don't mind installing these, but i make it clear to them that if a warranty issue arises, it's their baby to deal with.
also my suppliers are wholesale houses, not lowes or home depot.

blueballs
08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I've heard nothing nice about contours and mystics
not everyone -just on average stay away

HemiEd
08-22-2008, 06:54 AM
The shop called me today and told me my car was ready and they were able to use the part I took in!! :)

That is great news, they must read this board. ;)

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
we install new radiators quite often, orr radiator right there in kc is a great supplier, they ship out to us the same day i get it the next. all their radiators have the auto trans cooler hookups you just dont use them if it's a manual

Lzen
08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I have a problem. My wife just called and said our 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe would not blow any air. I drove over there to check it out. You could tell the A/C compressor kicked in when you pressed the A/C button. The fan just didn't blow. Naturally, I checked the fuses that had something about A/C listed. I did this with the fuses under the hood as well as the ones under the dash. It still didn't work.

As a last resort, I ended up just pulling out every single fuse and checking each one. While I was doing this with the ones under the hood, the car's engine shut off. After I completed checking all the fuses, I started it back up and the A/C fan was working. However, the check engine light is now on. Any ideas what that is about?

blueballs
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
As far as the engine check light
disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so
it should reset

HemiEd
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a problem. My wife just called and said our 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe would not blow any air.
Those things suck, they don't blow!;)

Jason was correct though, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Wa-Z
08-22-2008, 01:03 PM
The problem was never with the automatic transmission valves...I guess this one was just a bit too wide...but they made it work..

Lzen
08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Those things suck, they don't blow!;)

Jason was correct though, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Ok, thanks guys. Why do you suppose the fan wasn't working?

HemiEd
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, thanks guys. Why do you suppose the fan wasn't working?

Computers, every once in a while, you just gotta hit ctrl+alt+delete and reboot.

Didn't happen when everything was just hard wired with simple DC circuits, unless a part was actually defective.

We put 75,000 on our Durango in 10 years, twice during that period the gauges went crazy, like something out of a movie. I rebooted the thing, it never happened again.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2008, 02:46 PM
on a car that new disconnecting the battery usually wont reset the computer. only a scan tool will. go to a parts store and usually they will do it for free

Radar Chief
08-22-2008, 02:51 PM
on a car that new disconnecting the battery usually wont reset the computer. only a scan tool will. go to a parts store and usually they will do it for free

What if he took the positive battery lead off and touched it to the negative battery lead so it discharges any internal capacitance?

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
What if he took the positive battery lead off and touched it to the negative battery lead so it discharges any internal capacitance?

http://ohrdev.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/nuclear_blast.jpg

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM

NOT GOOD