PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan: MU receiver making impression on Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/758558.html

MU receiver making impression on Chiefs

Chiefs rookie receiver Will Franklin doesn’t necessarily see himself as just a speed guy, nor does he view himself as just a power receiver.

“I’m really a mixture,” Franklin said after Wednesday’s practice. “I’ve got the speed to get around guys, but when I have to, I think I can get pretty physical.

“In this league, you have to do a little of both.”

Franklin, 6 feet and 210 pounds, has shown that versatility to coaches in practice.

And Chiefs fans got a look at his toughness during the preseason opener against the Bears when Franklin made an incredible catch inside the 10-yard line after getting blasted by two defenders. Somehow, Franklin held on to the ball.

“It’s a small difference between college receivers and pro receivers, but that’s the difference,” Franklin said. “You have to make catches like that in the pros. If you can’t, you won’t be playing long here.

“There’s too much at stake in the pros not to make the tough catch.”

Franklin didn’t celebrate the catch with any grand gestures.

“All I did was what you’re supposed to do,” he said. “It’s a great catch for me, but the whole point is to keep the drive going and that’s what I did.”

In college at Missouri, Franklin said he envisioned himself as a cross between NFL receivers Steve Smith and Hines Ward.

“Smith is a guy who can go deep and get separation,” Franklin said, “Hines Ward is a just a tough, smart guy who finds a way to get open. That’s the type of receiver I want to be, someone who can do both of those things.”

With the Chiefs, Franklin sees himself as a cross between Dwayne Bowe and speedy Devard Darling.

“The main thing is to be someone the coaches know has confidence in his play,” Franklin said. “I want to look like I’m comfortable out there and not tense. And I want to be someone they can use in all situations.”

MU classic

Missouri Tigers fans will want to check out FSN Kansas City at 8 tonight for a replay of the Missouri-Texas Tech game from Oct. 20, 2003. It’s part of a new series called “Big 12 Classics.”

Missouri won that game 62-31 as Brad Smith ran for 291 yards.

Spicy McHaggis
08-20-2008, 11:16 PM
As a KU fan, I know I'm supposed to dislike the guy b/c he's a Tiger but I'm actually becoming a big fan of Franklin. Glad to see him having a little early success. Hopefully, he pans out into a good player.

HemiEd
08-20-2008, 11:31 PM
As a KU fan, I know I'm supposed to dislike the guy b/c he's a Tiger but I'm actually becoming a big fan of Franklin. Glad to see him having a little early success. Hopefully, he pans out into a good player.

Gotta love his humble attitude as well.