PDA

View Full Version : Royals Mitch Maier Hit in the Face

gblowfish
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
No Royals thread last night, Royals not even on the front page of the sports this morning. Going 1 for 7 on a road trip will do that.

Nobody mentioned that one of our promising young players got three bones broken under his eye last night...beaned by a pitch? It was uuuuugly.

You can read about it and see the play on the Royals web site.

He's done for the year. His vision was not blurred, but something like this can screw up a career for sure.

http://tinyurl.com/6mdnpt

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I hope he is ok, but he hadn't really shown me anything. We still need power.

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Just the way the season has gone. Another letdown. We are going to end up worse (WORRSE?!?!?!?!?!) than last year. I love the draft and signings we had, but Butler and Gordon have underpreformed. From billy's fatass spinning grounding into double play after double play presumably to get to the clubhouse to drink gravy out of a horse trough. To Alice Gordon spinning like a dradle into the ground on anything off speed. Then Alice does his best houdini act against Lefthanders. Couple that into the staff that is 4th from last in era, failed to trade mayhay at his peak, and guillens attempt to sneak into the 10 special olympics crying and waddling event. The best thing that came out of this year was an accident. Mike Aviles..... and they did everything they could never to call him up. Now we have always known that only reason tony pena was on the roster was fore his bobblehead doll. We've been waiting in waiting to see what the fuss was about..why is this duechenozzle still on the roster. Then it was unveiled that he was white. Not just like off white. Like White, on white, if white and white sexed and had whiter kids then put ontop of crest whitening strips on the whitest day of the year by a whitening electronic white-o-meter. No raquetball glasses either

StcChief
08-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I didn't see it....

Did he serve "Meat" on platter and get line-drived?... still bad to get it hit so hard you can't duck or deflect?

Deberg_1990
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Royals have definately fallen on the back burner lately.

1. Football is starting back up
2. Olympics
3. The Royals suck as usual

Tough break for this kid. I hope hes alright.

Dartgod
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I didn't see it....

Did he serve "Meat" on platter and get line-drived?... still bad to get it hit so hard you can't duck or deflect?
Maier is an outfielder. He got hit in the face by a pitch while batting.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Just the way the season has gone. Another letdown. We are going to end up worse (WORRSE?!?!?!?!?!) than last year. I love the draft and signings we had, but Butler and Gordon have underpreformed. From billy's fatass spinning grounding into double play after double play presumably to get to the clubhouse to drink gravy out of a horse trough. To Alice Gordon spinning like a dradle into the ground on anything off speed. Then Alice does his best houdini act against Lefthanders. Couple that into the staff that is 4th from last in era, failed to trade mayhay at his peak, and guillens attempt to sneak into the 10 special olympics crying and waddling event. The best thing that came out of this year was an accident. Mike Aviles..... and they did everything they could never to call him up. Now we have always known that only reason tony pena was on the roster was fore his bobblehead doll. We've been waiting in waiting to see what the fuss was about..why is this duechenozzle still on the roster. Then it was unveiled that he was white. Not just like off white. Like White, on white, if white and white sexed and had whiter kids then put ontop of crest whitening strips on the whitest day of the year by a whitening electronic white-o-meter. No raquetball glasses either

Will Aviles be the Royals' version of a long-snapper turned star or the next Berroa or Hamelin?

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
I think aviles will be bo hart, but hoping differently, and his stance and swing says that he could be more.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Aviles the next Buddy Biancalana!

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Bo Hart?? He's already passed his career #'s...i don't think so

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
both were undersized players who had huge first seasons, but undersized and under talented. I hope for different. The numbers don't back him up repeating it. Maybe he can bat 260 and tread water next year

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
both were undersized players who had huge first seasons, but undersized and under talented. I hope for different. The numbers don't back him up repeating it. Maybe he can bat 260 and tread water next year

Hopefully he can be our Dan Uggla light, he wasn't much in the minors as far as talent was concerned either.

chasedude
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I saw that pitch, OUCH that had to hurt!!

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
His OBP worries me. It's only 27 points higher than his BA. His slugging is strong, but a lot of balls are finding holes right now. That's probably not going to continue to happen at this rate.

His approach at the plate is strong, however.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
His OBP worries me. It's only 27 points higher than his BA. His slugging is strong, but a lot of balls are finding holes right now. That's probably not going to continue to happen at this rate.

His approach at the plate is strong, however.

Can always work o plate discipline...wonder what his minor league #'s are for OBP

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I hope so. I think next year will be a long year too. What FA are out there to fill holes. Grienke is going to be a question mark. I am hopefully for next but very very guarded.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Can always work o plate discipline...wonder what his minor league #'s are for OBP

Similar. He doesn't walk a lot, and plate discipline isn't something that is really developed at the ML level, especially with players as old as Aviles.

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I wish we could find an identity as a team. We don't hit for power, speed, or have a high OBP. Drives me insane.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I am hopefully for next but very very guarded.

The anthem of a Royals fan.

Aren't you crafting a song about this?

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Similar. He doesn't walk a lot, and plate discipline isn't something that is really developed at the ML level, especially with players as old as Aviles.

As long is he's hitting for a decent avg .280 or above it shouldnt be too much to worry about imo...

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I wish we could find an identity as a team. We don't hit for power, speed, or have a high OBP. Drives me insane.

I know what you mean but I think trying to force an identity has caused some of the current problems. We have some boppers. Oops we can't (see: won't) re-sign them. Now we're going to add vets. Oops. Now we're going to be young and fast. Oops these guys suck...

Just go get the best talent.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
As long is he's hitting for a decent avg .280 or above it shouldnt be too much to worry about imo...

If he could do this and continue to hit for a little power, he'd be quite a success, IMO.

Play decent defense, of course...

Demonpenz
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
at some point you worry about him coming back down to earth. Although he has hit on EVERY level. It is just such a dissapointment how our big dogs have struggled.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
If he could do this and continue to hit for a little power, he'd be quite a success, IMO.

Play decent defense, of course...

I really don't see his power diminishing. He has a good stroke and can drive the ball just fine. I see him being a .275-280 hitter with 15-20 hrs and 30-35 dbls....that would be pretty awesome, even if it was 30 dbls and 10 hrs from the 2b/ss pos

As long as the average is above .260

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I really don't see his power diminishing. He has a good stroke and can drive the ball just fine. I see him being a .275-280 hitter with 15-20 hrs and 30-35 dbls....that would be pretty awesome, even if it was 30 dbls and 10 hrs from the 2b/ss pos

As long as the average is above .260

His line is a bit misleading b/c if you look at the numbers you'd say he lacks discipline at the plate, but this isn't 100 percent accurate. Though he doesn't walk much, he does a very nice job with two strikes and he's more than happy to take a ball the other way.

What would Alice look like with Aviles approach?

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
His line is a bit misleading b/c if you look at the numbers you'd say he lacks discipline at the plate, but this isn't 100 percent accurate. Though he doesn't walk much, he does a very nice job with two strikes and he's more than happy to take a ball the other way.

What would Alice look like with Aviles approach?

He does have a great approach at the plate and seems to have learned the game the right way in the minors. He does have the drive to prove everyone wrong as well. You can tell looking at the guy he works extremely hard and nothing has been handed to him.

One thing i can say he needs to work on along with the rest of the team is the damn pop ups!

I hope Gordon and others are watching how he goes about his business...$1,000 dollar signing bonus guy's future is looking brighter than most of our rosters.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
$1,000 dollar signing bonus guy's future is looking brighter than most of our rosters.

It would be quite ironic if something really, really good comes out of one of the more embarrassing moments in this organization's history (45 picks signed for $45,000--not even trying to succeed in the draft).

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
It would be quite ironic if something really, really good comes out of one of the more embarrassing moments in this organization's history (45 picks signed for $45,000--not even trying to succeed in the draft).

That is a huge reason why we suck "signability" issues...walmart style, you usually get what you pay for....no wonder it will take us a few years to be respectable at minimum

Deberg_1990
08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
That is a huge reason why we suck "signability" issues...walmart style, you usually get what you pay for....no wonder it will take us a few years to be respectable at minimum

But i thought Dayton was the savior?? ROFL

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM

He will get us there eventually....he hasn't had much time to work with either...lets hope he is, things are looking up atleast...(even if we've lost 11/15 now)

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Did anyone else not know the Royals were playing this afternoon?

Greinke's line should tell the story thus far:

IP H R ER BB K HR Season ERA
Z. Greinke 3.0 6 5 1 0 2 1 3.90

Good thing Hillman is focusing on fundamentals this year. What would our defense look like otherwise?

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM

He might ultimately suck, but at least it seems like Glass is providing the resources so that we'll be able to judge in a few years. For all we know, Baird might have been nails.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
He might ultimately suck, but at least it seems like Glass is providing the resources so that we'll be able to judge in a few years. For all we know, Baird might have been nails.

I think Dayton is a young GM that we had to have had, he would've went elsewhere and started with more talent imo...he's overhauled alot, hopefully we'll get results soon

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Good thing Hillman is focusing on fundamentals this year. What would our defense look like otherwise?

I know it's been 1 year almost for him, but he annoys me almost as much as Buddy Bell. You'd think we'd get a competent guy somewhere...

I love the fundamentals, i say bring the rat tail back Trey!

Deberg_1990
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I think Dayton is a young GM that we had to have had, he would've went elsewhere and started with more talent imo...he's overhauled alot, hopefully we'll get results soon

If Dayton turns this ship around, it might be one of the single greatest achievments in pro sports. Seriously.

Your talking about a franchise that hasnt made the playoffs in 23 years. That has to be close to a record.

HemiEd
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
His vision was not blurred, but something like this can screw up a career for sure.

http://tinyurl.com/6mdnpt

To this day, I get steemed when I hear Ed ****ing Farmer on the radio up here. He ruined Al Cowen's career and almost Frank White's.

Sure-Oz
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
If Dayton turns this ship around, it might be one of the single greatest achievments in pro sports. Seriously.

Your talking about a franchise that hasnt made the playoffs in 23 years. That has to be close to a record.

Probably...it's too bad 1994 we got ****ed over...that team was going to get in the playoffs...probably my favorite year as a royals fan other than 2003

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM

It's terrible, but there are a couple of more pathetic franchises, even in baseball. The Brewers and Nationals (counting Expo years) have even longer stretches, I believe.

Granted, I'd trade rosters with the Brewers yesterday.

Mizzou_8541
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM

That post just made my week.

Mizzou_8541
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Wait...am I reading this correctly? 6 runs and only 1 earned?