PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Position Review: Offensive Line

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/position-review-offensive-line.html

Position Review: Offensive Line
August 21, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

Over the next 10 days, I will take a look at each position on the Chiefs and where I think the roster decisions are headed for the regular season. My conclusions are based on what Iíve seen during this pre-season and what I know about the Chiefs and what they are trying to create with this 2008 team. But just remember, these are my guesses, so donít commit them to stone!

Letís look at the offensive line.

In his first season with the Chiefs, Herm Edwards had 10 blockers on his opening week roster. Last year, he started the season with nine. The general rule of thumb in the NFL is 4-3-2. Thatís four tackles, three guards and two centers. Whether itís nine or 10 this year will depend a bit on injuries, specifically the banged up tackles Branden Albert and Damion McIntosh. In fact, those injuries could mean as many as 11 make the opening day roster.

Hereís whatís obvious: the starting five are in, and that includes both Albert and McIntosh, along with Brian Waters, Rudy Niswanger and Adrian Jones (pictured above.)

Add Herb Taylor and Wade Smith, who appear to be the number one subs at tackle (Taylor) and inside at guard and center (Smith.)

Thatís seven. Sixth-round draft choice Barry Richardson will make the roster based on the potential heís displayed in the pre-season. Heís probably not ready to make a contribution right now, but could be a contributor at right tackle at the start of next season.

Thatís eight, with four tackles. For the ninth spot, the Chiefs need someone to play inside. That would seem to bring it down to a battle between Tre Stallings and rookie Edwin Harrison. Travis Leffew and Rob Smith could also get a look there.

If thereís a 10th roster spot to open the season, it would probably be at tackle because of the injuries and that might give veteran Will Svitek another lease on roster life. It would come down to either Svitek or Anthony Alabi.

The Chiefs will also take a long look at the waiver wire for young offensive linemen who can improve the talent level at the bottom of their roster.

milkman
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
If thereís a 10th roster spot to open the season, it would probably be at tackle because of the injuries and that might give veteran Will Svitek another lease on roster life. It would come down to either Svitek or Anthony Alabi.

There isn't one good reason to keep Svitek.

Project failed.
Time to move on.

OnTheWarpath58
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Project failed.
Time to move on.

Should have happened LAST year...

Coach
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM

Project failed.
Time to move on.

Agreed. Best to remove all of the shitty draft players under Vermeil.

milkman
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Should have happened LAST year...

Sadly, it didn't.

Sadder still, he was actually not as bad as Turley and Terry.

:eek:

FAX
08-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Svitek is a real disappointment. The reports on him coming out of the NFLE were so consistently positive in nature, I thought we had something potentially very special there. What a shame.

FAX