PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Olympics: IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/IOC-orders-investigation-into-He-Kexin-s-age?urn=oly,102564

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

By Chris Chase

The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.

This news comes on the heels of another Times report that details the findings of a New York computer security expert who found official Chinese documents that list He's age as 14 years and 220 days. Mike Walker used a Chinese search engine's cache feature to find He's actual date of birth on spreadsheets from a Chinese government website. The spreadsheets were taken down off the site recently and He's name had been removed.

Assuming the IOC is committed to a real investigation and not some dog and pony show, the revelation that the Chinese government covered up the ages of gymnasts could end up being the defining moment of these Games for the host country. Officials wanted the Olympics to be a coming out party for a new China. But while the Games have been a huge success, there is a legitimate possibility that China's legacy from Beijing '08 will be that of a massive government cover-up, not the magical Opening Ceremony or the transformation of Beijing or anything else positive.

All the good work China did to put on these Olympics could be forgotten because of an unnecessary, arrogant move by the government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old in the competition when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast? Sure, He is a better gymnast than the Chinese gymnasts who were eligible to compete, but with the judges they had at the Olympics, would it really have mattered?

Ari Chi3fs
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Greed by the Chinese, and arrogance. Must have every gold medal!!!

gblowfish
08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
That chick looks like a smurf.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure they had any choice. The evidence out there is pretty damning.

Pestilence
08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Grass on the field.....play ball!

Oops....wrong thread.

irishjayhawk
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
China has had a good Olympics:

CGIing the Opening Ceremony
Lip syncing their National Anthem because the girl is "too ugly" for television
Underage girl gymnasts
Underage guy gymnasts

Silock
08-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure they had any choice. The evidence out there is pretty damning.

Pretty much. This would mean the women's team gymnastics gold goes to US, wouldn't it?

DaFace
08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Pretty much. This would mean the women's team gymnastics gold goes to US, wouldn't it?

I think so. Plus, Nastia would move from silver to gold in uneven bars (where she lost on a tiebreaker).

irishjayhawk
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM

This is the mens team. I thought they didn't investigate the Chinese Women....

irishjayhawk
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I think so. Plus, Nastia would move from silver to gold in uneven bars (where she lost on a tiebreaker).

Which I heard was a judge disaster.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
This is the mens team. I thought they didn't investigate the Chinese Women....

Huh? "He" is a girl. I hadn't heard about any underage men.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Shocking news.

irishjayhawk
08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Huh? "He" is a girl. I hadn't heard about any underage men.

Whoops, I read the second occurrence of "He" as lowercase, meaning the pronoun. Stupid names.... :grr:

irishjayhawk
08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I would like to know how a Computer Security expert caught this. Hacking? Was that security firm hired by the IOC?

LocoChiefsFan
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
That chick looks like a smurf.
I think she looks like the female ET from Close Encounters.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I would like to know how a Computer Security expert caught this. Hacking? Was that security firm hired by the IOC?

I'm not sure it's really realistic to say that this guy had much to do with the IOC choosing to investigate, but...

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2008/08/hack-olympics.html

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2008/08/olympic-hacking-part-ii-lets-go-for.html

bogey
08-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Props to her.

Rain Man
08-21-2008, 06:16 PM
China has had a good Olympics:

CGIing the Opening Ceremony
Lip syncing their National Anthem because the girl is "too ugly" for television
Underage girl gymnasts
Underage guy gymnasts

Don't forget the celebration of Chinese diversity where children from 56 Chinese ethnic groups danced around a Chinese flag, which would've been really cool except that all 56 were of the Han majority and were just dressed up as other ethnicities.

Rain Man
08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
If they broke the rules, they should strip her of the medal. However, I must admit that I don't understand the age restriction. If she's really the best gymnast in the world, she should be able to compete.

Silock
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
If they broke the rules, they should strip her of the medal. However, I must admit that I don't understand the age restriction. If she's really the best gymnast in the world, she should be able to compete.

I agree. The age restriction is stupid. However, if there were a rule that said "No chocolate milk 5 minutes before competition," and they drank chocolate milk 5 minutes before the competition, that would be against the rules and they should be punished. It's a very, very stupid rule, but if you break it, then screw you.

Guru
08-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I would love to see them stripped of their golds for that crap. I bet it won't apply to the team medal though. Just a gut feeling.

bogey
08-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Exactly, bummer for her in many ways. She has also been forced to lie for a long time.

Guru
I agree. The age restriction is stupid. However, if there were a rule that said "No chocolate milk 5 minutes before competition," and they drank chocolate milk 5 minutes before the competition, that would be against the rules and they should be punished. It's a very, very stupid rule, but if you break it, then screw you.
Really no different then the track rule that you can't step on or over the white lines. Seems dumb, but it IS a rule.

DeezNutz

It would be interesting to learn about the talent level of underage U.S. gymnasts...other countries, too...

Perhaps there's an ultra talented 14 year old in Utah, and this would make He's inclusion a major violation by any standards.

BWillie
08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Is this really cheating? If someone is younger than they are supposed to be and competing with adults I don't see a problem. It's not like Danny Amonti or whatever when he was 15 K'ing all those kids in the little league world series.

DaFace
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I would love to see them stripped of their golds for that crap. I bet it won't apply to the team medal though. Just a gut feeling.

I'd think it would have to. Essentially, her uneven bar score of 16.85 would become a DSQ, and the U.S. only lost by 2.375 points.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Is this really cheating? If someone is younger than they are supposed to be and competing with adults I don't see a problem. It's not like Danny Amonti or whatever when he was 15 K'ing all those kids in the little league world series.

The announcers say yes because younger gymnasts typically have less fear (for several different reasons), and this is a sport where being smaller can be a real advantage.

What if there are other great underage gymnasts in different countries?

Consistent1
08-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Whatever, she WON. Straight up won. Next thing is that somebody will say she was juiced up. I would be a little embarrased to lose to a kid also I guess, but whatever. She won.

L.A. Chieffan
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM

The smaller (or younger) you are the more of an advantage you're going to have in gymnastics. Especially in a country like China where they start training gymnasts at the ages of 2 or 3.

By the time their 13-14 they have the experience and the size to destroy everybody.

L.A. Chieffan
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Whatever, she WON. Straight up won.

Ben Johnson won too.

Joie
08-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Whatever, she WON. Straight up won. Next thing is that somebody will say she was juiced up. I would be a little embarrased to lose to a kid also I guess, but whatever. She won.

It's not about her winning, it's about her being allowed to compete at all. I'm sure every other country had 14 year olds they could have put into the games, but they played by the rules. China violated the rules, and for that they should be punished.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Next thing is that somebody will say she was juiced up.

Olympians never do this. Just the other day I was thinking of China's past dominance in the pool...oh...wait...

Silock
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM

It has to.

Silock
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
It would be interesting to learn about the talent level of underage U.S. gymnasts...other countries, too...

Perhaps there's an ultra talented 14 year old in Utah, and this would make He's inclusion a major violation by any standards.

Shawn Johnson was good enough for Athens in 2004, but would have been woefully under age.

Guru
08-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Ah, so the rules don't apply then right? Brilliant.

She can still say she won. She just can't have the Gold that goes with it.

bogey
08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Ah, so the rules don't apply then right? Brilliant.

She can still say she won. She just can't have the Gold that goes with it.

Unfortunately, she can't say she won. But at least she can know that was the best.

Joie
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, she can't say she won. But at least she can know that was the best.

And she can compete in four years to win her gold honestly.

Donger
08-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I watched the women's diving last night. In between masturbating furiously (dry), I heard that one of the US divers is 15? The Japanese-American gal?

Ari Chi3fs
08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Stripping China of gold medals, may make them go mental and start nuking people... these Gold medals are REALLY REALLY REALLY important to them.

Silock
08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I watched the women's diving last night. In between masturbating furiously (dry), I heard that one of the US divers is 15? The Japanese-American gal?

There aren't age limits in diving. Britain has a 14 year old boy diving for them.

L.A. Chieffan
08-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Stripping China of gold medals, may make them go mental and start nuking people... these Gold medals are REALLY REALLY REALLY important to them.

This is pretty crazy because you're talking about a cover-up that goes into high reaches of their government. This isn't some parents trying to sneak their kid into something, it's the ENTIRE FREAKING COUNTRY knows about it and they still tried to hide it.

Your right, these people are not to be trifeled with.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 07:06 PM

We'll just send Misty May over to kick their asses...

Donger
08-21-2008, 07:14 PM
There aren't age limits in diving. Britain has a 14 year old boy diving for them.

Really? Why not?

Silock
08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Really? Why not?

Because they see how stupid age restrictions are. They also allow ties for medals, which gymnastics doesn't allow.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Would this be one of the most grievous examples of cheating by a host country in Olympic history?

64 Chief
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
China is trying way to hard to impress the world. What they have earned, in my view, is a deep suspicion of their efforts and their society,

Bootlegged
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Ha.

ElGringo
08-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I just love reading this after reading all the other posts "I love watching gymnastics because the chicks are so hot."

Guru
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I just love reading this after reading all the other posts "I love watching gymnastics because the chicks are so hot."

Those are just a few perverted dorks in the minority though.

FAX
08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
This is sick. Government sponsored cheating in sport. God. The Chinese have lost much face. Not that their faces were all that great to begin with.

FAX

Mr Luzcious
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Those are just a few perverted dorks in the minority though.

They probably weren't talking about the chinese either.

Guru
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
They probably weren't talking about the chinese either.
ROFL Pretty certain they weren't.

Braincase
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Didn't they have one gymnast that had a missing baby tooth? I'd love to see an Olympic appointed pediatric dentist investigate that.

ArrowheadHawk
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Shouldn't 16yr olds be better than 14yr olds? So why the controversy?

Guru
08-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Thats not the point.

ArrowheadHawk
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Thats not the point.
I guess rules is rules. Even dumb ones. I don't think the Olympics should have age requirements. If you can do the event then you should be able to do the event.

DeezNutz
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM

No. Not really.

Rain Man
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
This is sick. Government sponsored cheating in sport. God. The Chinese have lost much face. Not that their faces were all that great to begin with.

FAX

Especially that little girl who sang in the opening ceremonies.

Guru
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I guess rules is rules. Even dumb ones. I don't think the Olympics should have age requirements. If you can do the event then you should be able to do the event.
That is really all it boils down to. I hated the track rule about stepping on the line but if it is a rule, you have to enforce it.

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Especially that little girl who sang in the opening ceremonies.

and the digitally enhanced firework display

FAX
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM

It's logical, I suppose, but where do you draw the line, Mr. ArrowheadHawk? At 12? 10? 6? Pretty soon the shameless Chinese will be sending embryos out on the floor and nothing's more disgusting than seeing a bunch of Chinese embryos trying to perform gymnastics. They're like all dragging around their slimy placentas and stuff and their umbilical cords will get all tangled up in the parallel bars.

FAX

Guru
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
and the digitally enhanced firework display
That is a joke right?

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
That is a joke right?

nope, actually happened

J Diddy
08-21-2008, 10:51 PM
That is a joke right?
not at all

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745

Stinger
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
That is a joke right?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/08/12/fake.fireworks.ap/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005

Guru
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
not at all

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/08/12/fake.fireworks.ap/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26139005

Damn. The Chinese, makers of practically ALL fireworks in the world that are worth a shit, used CGI for their fireworks show in the Olympics. :shake:

chiefqueen
08-21-2008, 11:04 PM

In women's gymnastics, a 14 year-old could potentially but better than a 16 year-old because someone who's 14 would be much more limber and flexible (thus being able to do more difficult routines).

In most Olumpic sports being stronger and bulkier is usually to your advantage. The opposite is true in women's gymnastics.

Raiderhater58
08-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Be on the look out for an influx of deadly toothpaste and childrens toys.

Guru
08-22-2008, 02:57 AM
Be on the look out for an influx of deadly toothpaste and childrens toys.
Oh crap, more lead in our systems.

Miles
08-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Damn. The Chinese, makers of practically ALL fireworks in the world that are worth a shit, used CGI for their fireworks show in the Olympics. :shake:

The last I read was it was faked because the air pollution around the city was too bad for the fireworks to look as they should.

TinyEvel
08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
THey should have fielded that dude from Oceans Eleven.

BigRedChief
08-22-2008, 06:40 AM
In women's gymnastics, a 14 year-old could potentially but better than a 16 year-old because someone who's 14 would be much more limber and flexible (thus being able to do more difficult routines).

In most Olumpic sports being stronger and bulkier is usually to your advantage. The opposite is true in women's gymnastics.
Well after 12 hours the IOC is done with the investigation and shes 16. Really. She is. We swear. We pinky swear.;)

Mr. Plow
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Me love you long time

tmax63
08-22-2008, 08:18 AM
In gymnastics a 14 yr old who doesn't have the boobs and butt of a 16 yr old has an advantage. It can change center of gravity and centers of axis of rotations and the like. It why it's a young person's sport. Big B & B gets in the way. That's why using bra cup size as a tie-breaker would probably be better fairer than the jumbled up crap they used on Lukin.